ADVERTISEMENT

Highland springs vs Martinsburg game 1 . 8/28/20

I would say that Salem would be a better matchup with HS than Martinsburg. Me and @HooSprings have had the debate before and I believe that some of Salem’s teams of the past 5 years could’ve competed well with the Springers. Don’t think that ANY of the Salem teams could’ve beaten the 2018 or 2015 Springers but I would’ve loved to seen the Salem matchup in 2015, 2016 and 2017. It’s hard to argue that anybody on the East Coast were better than the Springers in 2018. Their 2015 team was loaded (3 current NFL players) but they weren’t as good as 2018.
I agree , and there has been a few years where Martinsburg is not its usual self. They have still trucked the State of WV during those years many times. This could be one of those years , but they had a heck of a lot athletic physical 2nds and 3rd stringers last year . And don’t under estimate that this year the game is in Martinsburg . It makes a difference for them. I expect a close game . Would be a little surprised by a blow out .

I watched the game on YouTube. Game of 2 different halfs for sure.
Manchester, HS, Varina, and Maury were all on a different level last yr. Lake Taylor was blasted by Maury and Varina.
I was at the Varina/LT game. Varina was so good that they made LT look like Carroll County and that’s no stretch! It was running clock after the first quarter.. LT won the 4A Championship.

Reactions: RVA804
I agree , and there has been a few years where Martinsburg is not its usual self. They have still trucked the State of WV during those years many times. This could be one of those years , but they had a heck of a lot athletic physical 2nds and 3rd stringers last year . And don’t under estimate that this year the game is in Martinsburg . It makes a difference for them. I expect a close game . Would be a little surprised by a blow out .
After watching the documentary on Martinsburg last year I have nothing but respect for them. They are a program and play with a lot of pride. Will be no cake walk but I’m afraid that the Springers will be on another level this year.

Where it is won't matter! HSHS traditionally plays well at away games... Last year ALL of their toughest games were away! @ Oscar Smith, @ Page, @ Manchester, @ Colonial Forge. As of now (last year and this coming year, HS doesn't have a field to play on) so all of our games are at another site!
I was at the Varina/LT game. Varina was so good that they made LT look like Carroll County and that’s no stretch! It was running clock after the first quarter.. LT won the 4A Championship.
Running clocks don't happen until the 2nd half.

Where it is won't matter! HSHS traditionally plays well at away games... Last year ALL of their toughest games were away! @ Oscar Smith, @ Page, @ Manchester, @ Colonial Forge. As of now (last year and this coming year, HS doesn't have a field to play on) so all of our games are at another site!

Running clocks don't happen until the 2nd half.
Thanks for the correction. It was ugly!!!

Reactions: springer76
It’d be very shortsighted to say Martinsburg would get blown out. They do lose a lot of guys but there reserves could’ve won a State Championship last year and they had crazy depth. I would say HS would pull away in the 2nd half by 14-24. MB is very inexperienced and may not even be the best team in West Virginia next year. They do have a lot of kids coming up and they got some 8th/9th graders already receiving offers (Not from big D1 schools of course) but they do got young guys ready to come up and they’re more talented than any of the past guys. HS just so happened to catch them at the right time and if they played last year I think they Martinsburg would’ve won.

It was ugly! I wasn't there, but I was following it as it was happening! I thought LT must had been missing half of the team or something!! BUT... I have to give it Varina, they had a really good football team last year!
LT was dealing with a combo of injuries and just making young mistakes.

It’d be very shortsighted to say Martinsburg would get blown out. They do lose a lot of guys but there reserves could’ve won a State Championship last year and they had crazy depth. I would say HS would pull away in the 2nd half by 14-24. MB is very inexperienced and may not even be the best team in West Virginia next year. They do have a lot of kids coming up and they got some 8th/9th graders already receiving offers (Not from big D1 schools of course) but they do got young guys ready to come up and they’re more talented than any of the past guys. HS just so happened to catch them at the right time and if they played last year I think they Martinsburg would’ve won.
IMHO... The youth football feeder system play a large role in how well Martinsburg continues to dominate. Most of these kids have played together since youth football...continuity is a major key to success...Martinsburg like HSHS is not just a team but a Program i.e they reload. They will be ready to defend that 56 game winning streak. This will be a close game. Lets all hope that there will be a 2020 HS Football season!!!

Not saying you’re wrong at all. Highland Springs was down this past year but beating them isn’t like talking about it. The only two teams that could’ve beaten HS was Varina and Maury this past year. Hypothetically, South County and Smith (HS beat them in week 1) if we’re going there.. For me, Martinsburg doesn’t play the schedule for me to say that they can compete with the HS’s, Varina’s and the best teams in the 757. That’s just me even though I believe that they have a heck of a program.

IMHO... The youth football feeder system play a large role in how well Martinsburg continues to dominate. Most of these kids have played together since youth football...continuity is a major key to success...Martinsburg like HSHS is not just a team but a Program i.e they reload. They will be ready to defend that 56 game winning streak. This will be a close game. Lets all hope that there will be a 2020 HS Football season!!!
Not debating the feeder system in Martinsburg because I know ZERO about it but Henrico County has one of the best! High school coaches line up to get the best of the best to come to their schools. Unfortunately, private schools are a huge competitor in Chesterfield/Hanover/Richmond/Henrico. Life Christian has about 15 D1 Power 5 kids that they’ve taken from the metro area and I haven’t even started naming the Benedictine’s, Trinity’s, Collegiate’s. @springer76 and @HooSprings are probably way more knowledgeable on just how good and competitive Henrico Rec League is!

Not debating the feeder system in Martinsburg because I know ZERO about it but Henrico County has one of the best! High school coaches line up to get the best of the best to come to their schools. Unfortunately, private schools are a huge competitor in Chesterfield/Hanover/Richmond/Henrico. Life Christian has about 15 D1 Power 5 kids that they’ve taken from the metro area and I haven’t even started naming the Benedictine’s, Trinity’s, Collegiate’s. @springer76 and @HooSprings are probably way more knowledgeable on just how good and competitive Henrico Rec League is!
Henrico's rec league system is probably the strongest in the area. Make no mistake, HSHS has a very strong influence in several of them here. The feeder Middle schools as well. HS's #1 middle school feeder, Fairfield was undefeated last year and there will be some very talented kids coming up into the JV system this coming year. Some might be on varsity!!! HS's JV is running a 50 game winning streak! They haven't lost a game in 5 years. HS's Varsity, in the past 6 years were 11-1, 14-1 State Champ, 14-1, State Champ, 14-1 State Champ, 15-0 State Champ, and 11-1.
79-5 (4 state titles) in 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Salem felt that sting earlier this year.
I can promise you...Highland Springs is not Salem! Ask Tuscarora about Highland Springs! The Springers played their JV the entire 4th quarter of the STATE FINALS against Tusky. MB hasn’t seen ANYTHING close to as good as HSHS,and I can promise you,they haven’t seen anyone nearly this fast(I’m not talking about 3 or 4 fast kids). I’m not gonna say a blowout,but a young team facing this Springers team,may be getting a rude awakening! As I found out last year, anything can happen, but I just don’t see Highland springs losing this game. As I said...this ain’t Salem! It damn sure ain’t Sherando!

Everyone gets trucked eventually, foolish not to think so. If you don't believe me, you should go give a school like North Shore a call and see what happens when you take a trip down there. Nobody's above getting blown out, nobody.
I’d like nothing more than for North Shore(TX) bring their game to RVA to play the Springers. @Hldaniel I’m quite sure would agree with me on that. The Springers welcome all takers!

Henrico's rec league system is probably the strongest in the area. Make no mistake, HSHS has a very strong influence in several of them here. The feeder Middle schools as well. HS's #1 middle school feeder, Fairfield was undefeated last year and there will be some very talented kids coming up into the JV system this coming year. Some might be on varsity!!! HS's JV is running a 50 game winning streak! They haven't lost a game in 5 years. HS's Varsity, in the past 6 years were 11-1, 14-1 State Champ, 14-1, State Champ, 14-1 State Champ, 15-0 State Champ, and 11-1.
79-5 (4 state titles) in 6 years.
Here's a look at last year's HSHS JV team... These kids are ALL Freshman and Sophomores. Our Freshman QB and WRs. Note #24 and #22 RBs, they are freshmen! The Freshman QB is right handed. The Sophomore QB is left handed.
https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/61773/JV-Football

Highland Springs is fed by an incredible group of rec league feeders,including East End,Glen Lea,Highland Springs LL,a few Varina,and Sandston. Most of these kids go through Rolf,Wilder,and Fairfield(HSHS’s main feeder and last year’s league champions). These teams all run the same systems,so it’s just plug in the best players and a hungry depth. The HSHS JV has been ridiculous (174pts in 2 games 2yrs ago) during their 50 game winning streak. They keep feeding the Varsity studs(Mekhi Becton was JV as a 10th grader). The QB(6’3-200lbs)this year,went to Benedictine as 9th & 10th grader,but grew up in the HSHS LL system. HSHS did lose 1 to LCA(Last Chance Academy),but he was dismissed from the HSHS team TWICE,so they’re really not a true threat to HSHS players leaving.

if it’s any indication of the feeder system...there’s a rising Sophomore QB that would START on 95% of the Varsity RVA area schools,but he has to play JV,because of the depth of talent at the QB spot. Depth is the key to winning the state!

I’d like nothing more than for North Shore(TX) bring their game to RVA to play the Springers. @Hldaniel I’m quite sure would agree with me on that. The Springers welcome all takers!

Eh, not so sure you'd like the results. Like it or lump it, different game down in TX than in VA. VA teams have matched up with the big boys before, nothing good came of it. HSHS should start leaving the state if they want to change that, though.

Like I said, nobody's above getting trucked and you're a fool to think otherwise.

Eh, not so sure you'd like the results. Like it or lump it, different game down in TX than in VA. VA teams have matched up with the big boys before, nothing good came of it. HSHS should start leaving the state if they want to change that, though.

Like I said, nobody's above getting trucked and you're a fool to think otherwise.
I guess you don’t realize HSHS plays 2 out of state teams again this year,just like last year. HSHS will go into this season with AT LEAST 7 Power 5 recruited players along with the speed & size to play with anyone in the state and country. The Springers were top 25 in USA TODAY until being upset in the region last year. Don’t sell these kids & coaches short. The Springers haven’t lost by more than a TD since 2012. They put JUST AS MANY players in the NFL as North did this year. I know TX football is different,but these kids & coaches don’t run from anyone.

HS matches up well with a lot of elite teams. Last year, had they had the running game together, they would’ve won their 5th straight. I always thought Bugg Jones (had an offer from Notre Dame and North Carolina before even playing a varsity snap) should’ve been the RB. They just had another young lineman get offered by a power 5 tonight. If I’m not mistaken, they have 4 lineman with major D1 offers, 3 DBs with power 5 offers and their best player Bugg Jones has 14 D1 offers, 8 of which are major power 5 schools. The safety Harmon has offers from Southern Cal, Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Oklahoma.. Just to name a few.. Highland Springs wouldn’t back down from North Shore and I believe they could give a lot of powerhouses a game!

HS matches up well with a lot of elite teams. Last year, had they had the running game together, they would’ve won their 5th straight. I always thought Bugg Jones (had an offer from Notre Dame and North Carolina before even playing a varsity snap) should’ve been the RB. They just had another young lineman get offered by a power 5 tonight. If I’m not mistaken, they have 4 lineman with major D1 offers, 3 DBs with power 5 offers and their best player Bugg Jones has 14 D1 offers, 8 of which are major power 5 schools. The safety Harmon has offers from Southern Cal, Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Oklahoma.. Just to name a few.. Highland Springs wouldn’t back down from North Shore and I believe they could give a lot of powerhouses a game!
I usually don’t compare offers,but 4-star DE,Kelvin Gilliam(‘21)holds offers from Texas,Florida,Oklahoma,Penn St,and Arizona St,among his 27 offers. Boston College offered their ‘22 WR today as well as their ‘22 DE(Rashad Putnrll). Bugg will play Slot WR,DB,and some RB. I expect him to return KOs too,but I expect ‘22 WR Quanye Veney(Pitt and BC offers) to return punts. ‘22 WR Mike Hodges already holds a VT offer. ‘21 WR Jabari Parker holds a Navy offer. We all know Harmon is a monster at DB!! Talent & speed everywhere,and can compete with anybody in the country! All last year’s youth has gained that experience,so I’m expecting a big year,but anything can happen.

North shore would run muck shop over the springers and it’s not even close. Texas big boy football is leagues ahead of VAs best. And yes I’ve seen them play in person. You can have players make the league but north shore when they are clicking don’t lose, heck most Dominant VA teams would struggle beating Katy, who’s been the thorn in north shores side to get to the states most years, it’s just much more depth and we only talking teams around Houston not to mention the Dallas programs or Austin programs.

Reactions: HooSprings
I guess you don’t realize HSHS plays 2 out of state teams again this year,just like last year. HSHS will go into this season with AT LEAST 7 Power 5 recruited players along with the speed & size to play with anyone in the state and country. The Springers were top 25 in USA TODAY until being upset in the region last year. Don’t sell these kids & coaches short. The Springers haven’t lost by more than a TD since 2012. They put JUST AS MANY players in the NFL as North did this year. I know TX football is different,but these kids & coaches don’t run from anyone.

That's cool, doesn't really change anything I said. I don't think there's a question in the world De La Salle is a better program than HS but St. John Bosco stomped them by 3 TDs in the CIF opens last year. We're talking a perennial top 10 program nationally in one of the big 3 states for highschool football and even they got rolled when they met the wrong team.

It happens to EVERYONE.

North shore would run muck shop over the springers and it’s not even close. Texas big boy football is leagues ahead of VAs best. And yes I’ve seen them play in person. You can have players make the league but north shore when they are clicking don’t lose, heck most Dominant VA teams would struggle beating Katy, who’s been the thorn in north shores side to get to the states most years, it’s just much more depth and we only talking teams around Houston not to mention the Dallas programs or Austin programs.
Contrary to popular belief, Florida, Louisiana, and Georgia are the monsters of high school football. There was actually a good article with supporting research in 2017 that supports it. Texas football is good but people give it more credit than those three states I mentioned because of the publicity they received in a few movies and they know how to pack a stadium.

I agree, the elite privates and publics from the above states are on another level or levels. I’m not saying our kids and coaches aren’t as good, but those programs often have more money, more kids, and/or less practice restrictions. Even our best teams would get all they can handle with those programs. About ten years ago I painfully decided to go see Good Counsel (DC area private) with Stefon Diggs play Florida’s Manatee, instead of a loaded Oscar Smith team that traveled to play Gilman (Baltimore area private). I made the right decision. Good Counsel and Manatee played to double OT and Gilman crushed Smith. Smith won the title that year, but I had a new appreciation for the big privates. Westfield used to scrimmage Dematha before each season and has recently scrimmaged St. John’s, and I don’t think any of those scrimmages were close. I don’t know whether HS was down last year (or holding back) any more than Smith and Manchester. In my opinion, last year showed that VA’s top schools are fairly even and would have to bring everything they have against the elite programs. I have a lot respect for HS, Smith, Salem, Westfield, Martinsburg, etc., for testing themselves.

Highland Springs is fed by an incredible group of rec league feeders,including East End,Glen Lea,Highland Springs LL,a few Varina,and Sandston. Most of these kids go through Rolf,Wilder,and Fairfield(HSHS’s main feeder and last year’s league champions). These teams all run the same systems,so it’s just plug in the best players and a hungry depth. The HSHS JV has been ridiculous (174pts in 2 games 2yrs ago) during their 50 game winning streak. They keep feeding the Varsity studs(Mekhi Becton was JV as a 10th grader). The QB(6’3-200lbs)this year,went to Benedictine as 9th & 10th grader,but grew up in the HSHS LL system. HSHS did lose 1 to LCA(Last Chance Academy),but he was dismissed from the HSHS team TWICE,so they’re really not a true threat to HSHS players leaving.

if it’s any indication of the feeder system...there’s a rising Sophomore QB that would START on 95% of the Varsity RVA area schools,but he has to play JV,because of the depth of talent at the QB spot. Depth is the key to winning the state!
This right here kind of shows how Springer football works... These 2 D1 recruits have been playing and knowing each other since they were 5th grade!
. Good piece!

Last edited:
Highland Springs beat North Shore? Probably not. They pull from the smallest area in Henrico County and they continue to load up with what they have. Before Loren Johnson moves up to the college ranks (Virginia Tech should give him a call ASAP), the Springers could win 3-4 more state championships.

Springer’s QB got a D2 offer today from Livingstone College in NC. It’s his first,and I expect more for the 6’3-200lb Senior.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT