ADVERTISEMENT

Highland springs vs Martinsburg game 1 . 8/28/20

I just looked at Martinsburg’s schedule on fourseasonsfootball.com four or five days ago. At that time, Martinsburg was slated to play some team from Pennsylvania in week one. So either this is a very recent change, indeed, or the gentleman who runs the website just became aware of it.

If fourseasonsfootball.com is correct, this will be the fourth consecutive season in which Martinsburg has had six home games in the regular season. The same was true for a few other seasons prior to that stretch. Anybody know why that is? Not complaining, implying anything, etc. etc., just curious.

I just looked at Martinsburg’s schedule on fourseasonsfootball.com four or five days ago. At that time, Martinsburg was slated to play some team from Pennsylvania in week one. So either this is a very recent change, indeed, or the gentleman who runs the website just became aware of it.

If fourseasonsfootball.com is correct, this will be the fourth consecutive season in which Martinsburg has had six home games in the regular season. The same was true for a few other seasons prior to that stretch. Anybody know why that is? Not complaining, implying anything, etc. etc., just curious.
Schedule has been updated to reflect the recent change with HS as the Week 1 opponent.

They were going to play Penn Hills , a very good team. Guess things changed

I haven't heard for sure, but Highland Springs was offered the opportunity to play a quality "out of state" opponent that would be aired on ESPN. I heard they were looking at a team in Alabama. That team fell through. I am not sure if this game with Martinsburg is connected with that offer or not.

Last edited:
I haven't heard for sure, but Highland Springs was offered the opportunity to play a quality "out of state" opponent that would be aired on ESPN. I heard they were looking at a team in Alabama. I am not sure if this is connected with that offer or not.
Just got a message that ESPN is working on getting this game. It isn't confirmed YET.

Schedule has been updated to reflect the recent change with HS as the Week 1 opponent.

Understood. I had checked it again before I made my previous post in this thread, and had seen the Highland Springs change.

Anyone have an answer to my question as to why Martinsburg routinely gets an extra home game? And again - let me stress that it doesn’t bother me; I’m merely curious.

Understood. I had checked it again before I made my previous post in this thread, and had seen the Highland Springs change.

Anyone have an answer to my question as to why Martinsburg routinely gets an extra home game? And again - let me stress that it doesn’t bother me; I’m merely curious.

Martinsburg usually has a team out of D.C. on the schedule. Martinsburg pays the team to come play at Martinsburg instead of doing the traditional "home and home". If you look at the schedule - the team they have played recently is Eastern High School - every time they play it is at Martinsburg. Before Eastern, I believe they played H.D. Woodson and each time they played that game was at Martinsburg as well.

Martinsburg usually has a team out of D.C. on the schedule. Martinsburg pays the team to come play at Martinsburg instead of doing the traditional "home and home". If you look at the schedule - the team they have played recently is Eastern High School - every time they play it is at Martinsburg. Before Eastern, I believe they played H.D. Woodson and each time they played that game was at Martinsburg as well.

Thanks. And welcome to the forum - allow me to bestow upon you your first “like”.

They were going to play Penn Hills , a very good team. Guess things changed
Initially they had scheduled Woodland Hills, PA away then it changed to Penn Hills, Pa away but Penn Hills never returned a signed contract. Needed to get a replacement game and Highland Springs agreed. Not sure if this a one off or a 2 Years Home and Home...which is what Martinsburg prefers. Lets hope it is a 2 year agreement!

Reactions: springer76
Initially they had scheduled Woodland Hills, PA away then it changed to Penn Hills, Pa away but Penn Hills never returned a signed contract. Needed to get a replacement game and Highland Springs agreed. Not sure if this a one off or a 2 Years Home and Home...which is what Martinsburg prefers. Lets hope it is a 2 year agreement!
That would put Martinsburg at Highland Springs in 2021. It would be the opening game at Highland Springs' new school and new football stadium!!! How cool would that be!

Thanks Mike - I appreciate it. I have been a high school football fan for a long time. I am originally from Pittsburgh and then my job brought me to Northern Virginia about 15 years ago and I am a regular at games on Friday nights. Since I have no ties to any particular school - I like to pick the best match up and watch good football. I have traveled up to Martinsburg a few times to watch them play and even made the trip down to Salem last year to watch the Salem-Martinsburg matchup. Great atmosphere down there in Salem - it was well worth the trip.

Up in Western PA high school football is HUGE - the atmosphere is amazing. The atmospheres at both Martinsburg and Salem are very similar to what you get in Western PA and I have thoroughly enjoyed catching games at both of those venues. I am sure there are many other great places to catch a game in VA and would love to get some feedback on where I need to catch a game this year.

Being from Western PA, I was really excited for the Martinsburg-Penn Hills matchup. I caught both games Martinsburg played against State College a few years ago - both very good games. I am just as excited to check out this Martinsburg-Highland Springs game. Talk about having your feet held to the fire - how about Martinsburg's new head coach gets Highland Springs week 1! I think having been apart of the Martinsburg dynasty for many years has more than adequately prepared him to coach in big game.

I love to see Martinsburg taking on some of the top programs in Virginia - especially considering they have been rarely challenged from any teams in WV during their run.

I think HS prefers a 2 year cycle too. Martinsburg replaced Avalon, from MD, which is a private school. HS didn't get any points in the VHSL system because of them being a private. They have to be public schools to count. (correct me if I'm wrong, Mike Salem).
All other teams that were added last year are all 2 year, home/home games (Oscar Smith, Page NC, Manchester, Colonial Forge, North Stafford) and are on the schedule this year.

The game is a 2 year deal with Year 1 at Martinsburg and Year 2 at Highland Springs.

Reactions: WP02alum
Thanks Mike - I appreciate it. I have been a high school football fan for a long time. I am originally from Pittsburgh and then my job brought me to Northern Virginia about 15 years ago and I am a regular at games on Friday nights. Since I have no ties to any particular school - I like to pick the best match up and watch good football. I have traveled up to Martinsburg a few times to watch them play and even made the trip down to Salem last year to watch the Salem-Martinsburg matchup. Great atmosphere down there in Salem - it was well worth the trip.

Up in Western PA high school football is HUGE - the atmosphere is amazing. The atmospheres at both Martinsburg and Salem are very similar to what you get in Western PA and I have thoroughly enjoyed catching games at both of those venues. I am sure there are many other great places to catch a game in VA and would love to get some feedback on where I need to catch a game this year.

Being from Western PA, I was really excited for the Martinsburg-Penn Hills matchup. I caught both games Martinsburg played against State College a few years ago - both very good games. I am just as excited to check out this Martinsburg-Highland Springs game. Talk about having your feet held to the fire - how about Martinsburg's new head coach gets Highland Springs week 1! I think having been apart of the Martinsburg dynasty for many years has more than adequately prepared him to coach in big game.

I love to see Martinsburg taking on some of the top programs in Virginia - especially considering they have been rarely challenged from any teams in WV during their run.

There are a lot of great places to watch high school football in Virginia, but thought I would go on and say, if you can, a trip to Louisa County AKA "The Jungle" is worth it, especially for a playoff game. I only say that because they are closer to me, I have heard that there are some great atmospheres across the state.

Reactions: mike salem

After looking at M’burg’s schedule over the last 3+ years,I was wondering why they hadn’t played any of the D5 or D6 VA schools. Seems like it would be good for both schools and both states. Sherando & Salem are good teams,but I’m not sure how they compare to the big D5 & D6 schools like HS,Stonebridge,or OSmith. Idk how good Sherando was in 2018,but they put 45 on M’burg. Any input would be welcome.

Most years I would say that Martinsburg would be outplayed by the historically good VA D5&6 schools.

The reason you see some of those scores with Sherando against Martinsburg as intriguing is because it is more of a rivalry. A lot of these kids do know each other and it makes it a little more personal.

I think last year was one of the better years for MB, athlete-wise, they were loaded. My honest opinion is that Highland Springs will be too much for MB to handle but anything could happen. For any interested Springer fans I’d urge you to check out the MB running back who will be a senior this year and was all-state as a sophomore. The kid has blazing speed, Naieem Kearney.

P.S. Also looks like MB has something to present on its field. Recently changed the center logo from the “M” to the large WV shape imprinted on their helmets.

Last edited:
Reactions: falcettik
After looking at M’burg’s schedule over the last 3+ years,I was wondering why they hadn’t played any of the D5 or D6 VA schools. Seems like it would be good for both schools and both states. Sherando & Salem are good teams,but I’m not sure how they compare to the big D5 & D6 schools like HS,Stonebridge,or OSmith. Idk how good Sherando was in 2018,but they put 45 on M’burg. Any input would be welcome.
2013 and 2014 Martinsburg played 5A Tuscarora. 2013 Martinsburg lost in over time which was their final state championship team from 2010-2013. 2014 Martinsburg put up an honorable fight considering how that squad was inexperienced and had sophomores and freshman starting at key positions and lost 40-21. I’d take these results with a grain of salt though as I believe Tusky caught Martinsburg at the right time, just like this Highland Springs matchup as Martinsburg will be very inexperienced this year.

Most years I would say that Martinsburg would be outplayed by the historically good VA D5&6 schools.

The reason you see some of those scores with Sherando against Martinsburg as intriguing is because it is more of a rivalry. A lot of these kids do know each other and it makes it a little more personal.

I think last year was one of the better years for MB, athlete-wise, they were loaded. My honest opinion is that Highland Springs will be too much for MB to handle but anything could happen. For any interested Springer fans I’d urge you to check out the MB running back who will be a senior this year and was all-state as a sophomore. The kid has blazing speed, Naieem Kearney.

P.S. Also looks like MB has something to present on its field. Recently changed the center logo from the “M” to the large WV shape imprinted on their helmets.
Thank you! I knew the running back has multiple Ivy League offers,but that’s it but he is a great running back. I’ve watched a few of the videos and it looks like the teams they’re playing or not super athletic. That’s why I asked about those teams that I asked about. Those teams seem to have super athletes all over the field on both sides of the ball. I’m also interested in seeing who plays quarterback this year for MB. I know their quarterback,who was fantastic,graduated last season. thank you for your input! Should be a great game

Thank you! I knew the running back has multiple Ivy League offers,but that’s it but he is a great running back. I’ve watched a few of the videos and it looks like the teams they’re playing or not super athletic. That’s why I asked about those teams that I asked about. Those teams seem to have super athletes all over the field on both sides of the ball. I’m also interested in seeing who plays quarterback this year for MB. I know their quarterback,who was fantastic,graduated last season. thank you for your input! Should be a great game
Welcome back big guy!

2013 and 2014 Martinsburg played 5A Tuscarora. 2013 Martinsburg lost in over time which was their final state championship team from 2010-2013. 2014 Martinsburg put up an honorable fight considering how that squad was inexperienced and had sophomores and freshman starting at key positions and lost 40-21. I’d take these results with a grain of salt though as I believe Tusky caught Martinsburg at the right time, just like this Highland Springs matchup as Martinsburg will be very inexperienced this year.
Thank you! I didn’t realize Tusky was D5 back then. I thought they were D4 like they are now. I’m not judging anything with a team that successful ,regardless of classification. I was just wondering why a team that successful had never played any of the upper division VA teams,but the close proximity makes more sense with a program like Salem that close.
I see a lot of people saying MB has 10-11 D1 players every year. That’s a PROGRAM!!

I miss the discussion last year. This year gonna be fun!
A lot of talent and good teams out there this year. I know the Springers are loaded again. Let’s hope things end better than they did last season. I’m interested in seeing what Bedwell does with Hermitage,how Varina fares under a new head coach,and what Manchester does to build on their success. The schedule for HSHS will be more daunting than last year with the addition of this WV powerhouse. Plus,I expect a few others to be much better this year,including Paige. Let’s just hope there’s a SEASON TO PLAY!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned

Also, Martinsburg scrimmaged Massaponax, John Champe, and Patrick Henry (R) last year. They beat all three of them easily and play in numerous 7 on 7 tournaments in Virginia and have won. Here is an article I found from 2017. http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/ultimate-recruit/airo-title-goes-martinsburg/

Reactions: HooSprings
Also, Martinsburg scrimmaged Massaponax, John Champe, and Patrick Henry (R) last year. They beat all three of them easily and play in numerous 7 on 7 tournaments in Virginia and have won. Here is an article I found from 2017. http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/ultimate-recruit/airo-title-goes-martinsburg/
I remember that 7 on 7. The Highland Springs coaches did a draft,splitting the team into 3 teams of varsity & JV players mixed together on all 3 teams. They like doing that so the younger kids get the feel of the future varsity level. That MB QB is at Concord University now. He was excellent!! That’s one of the few 7x7s HSHS didn’t win. Both teams should Have an idea of each other’s speed from that. I know the players are different,but programs identities typically stay the same under the same coach.

That kid is the real deal!! I see him as illusive and fast. Some of these teams don't wrap up. Trying to tackle high around the shoulders isn't going to get this kid tackled!! Gotta wrap him up and quickly!
His little brother will be a 9th grader this coming season,and He’s pretty darn good too. Hard to believe this kid was only second-team Allstate!!

I remember that 7 on 7. The Highland Springs coaches did a draft,splitting the team into 3 teams of varsity & JV players mixed together on all 3 teams. They like doing that so the younger kids get the feel of the future varsity level. That MB QB is at Concord University now. He was excellent!! That’s one of the few 7x7s HSHS didn’t win. Both teams should Have an idea of each other’s speed from that. I know the players are different,but programs identities typically stay the same under the same coach.
Actually the QB Tyson Bagent from that 7-7 Team is the starter for Shepherd University and the #1 ranked QB in NCAA D2. He has started every game since his freshman year. He will be a true Jr this season.

Due to the growth in Loudon County and the addition of several new High Schools @ the D5 classification it limited the opportunity to play more D5 schools because their schedules voids are now filled with the new schools. If you look at the history of Martinsburg playing the likes of: Briar Wood, Broad Run, Stonebridge...Martinsburg is undefeated. Tuscarora is the 1 team that has had Martinsburg's number. Tusky is 2-0 versus Martinsburg... A 1 point victory (35-34) at Tusky when they stopped Martinsburg's 2 point attempt to win the game. The next season at Martinsburg Tusky won 40-21 after Martinsburg had jumped out to 14-0 lead un the 1st quarter. After that the VA Gatorade player of the year that season Noah Reimers went berserk and ran for 266 yards and was a 1 man wrecking crew. Never seen anything like that at Martinsburg. Also just to note Tusky was the D5 runner up that season losing to LC Bird.

Actually Martinsburg will be a 2-Headed monster in the backfield: Kevon Warren who is actually the fastest running back in the state and is being recruited also. Checkout his highlights on HUDL. This game will be a great way to kickoff the 2020 Season...Lets all hope it happens!!!

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
Kearney is the all out real deal, and (let’s see where this goes ) to answer “Hoosprings “ question about 2018. Sherando was the real deal also in 2018, until the QB Entsminger went down later in the mid season. Martinsburg will give HS all the can handle athletically . If the dogs have the usual line size , then I will give the edge to Martinsburg at home. It’s very tough to play in Martinsburg . In fact I believe it’s been over a decade since they lost at home.

Kearney is the all out real deal, and (let’s see where this goes ) to answer “Hoosprings “ question about 2018. Sherando was the real deal also in 2018, until the QB Entsminger went down later in the mid season. Martinsburg will give HS all the can handle athletically . If the dogs have the usual line size , then I will give the edge to Martinsburg at home. It’s very tough to play in Martinsburg . In fact I believe it’s been over a decade since they lost at home.
Looks like their last loss at home was in 2015, but definitely tough to beat them anywhere.

I forgot about that year Mike , the only year Sherando has beaten them. They were down a little more than normal that year

Actually Martinsburg will be a 2-Headed monster in the backfield: Kevon Warren who is actually the fastest running back in the state and is being recruited also. Checkout his highlights on HUDL. This game will be a great way to kickoff the 2020 Season...Lets all hope it happens!!!
Would love to have seen Mr. Sine come back as well.

Sherando and Salem are both excellent Virginia programs and Martinsburg’s dynasty speaks for itself. Being someone outside of the Highland Springs’ program, I will tell you that they are a different animal from most teams you’ll see. I can go on about who has this P5 offer or who runs a 4.40 40 or who is the next big star...HOWEVER, the thing that’s most impressive to me is someone you’ve never heard of/wasn’t expecting to step up, steps up. They have depth at every position and has arguably the best coach in VHSL history. They are the New England Patriots of high school football and that’s no stretch. Loren Johnson and company WILL come out swinging week 1 and play Highland Springs football. I didn’t think HS was “all of that” this past year simply because they didn’t have the running game they’ve had in the past. They lost two D1 running backs in the 2019 class. THIS YEAR, they’ll be back. Loren Johnson will make the adjustment and they’ll be the premier team in a LOADED 5A field this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT