ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs vs. Stone Bridge (Part 5)

SBOEDog

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2019
So these 2 programs will clash again in a week in the State Semi’s in Ashburn. Highland Springs holds the advantage (3-1), with wins in ‘15, ‘16 and ‘18. Stone Bridge of course had the epic walk-off in the spring. All 4 previous games were for State Titles. Stone Bridge comes in at 13-0 while Highland Springs takes a 10-3 mark up I-95. In my opinion you throw the records out the window and on paper this one sets up to be another classic. Both teams lost a lot of quality players to graduation following the Spring championship game but have re-loaded as usual. For any Springer fans making the trip, we welcome you to Ashburn and the Dog Pound and hope you have a great experience (but a sad trip back Saturday evening). Looking for a great game with a ton of great coaching and athletic talent all over the field. Good luck to both teams!!

So these 2 programs will clash again in a week in the State Semi’s in Ashburn. Highland Springs holds the advantage (3-1), with wins in ‘15, ‘16 and ‘18. Stone Bridge of course had the epic walk-off in the spring. All 4 previous games were for State Titles. Stone Bridge comes in at 13-0 while Highland Springs takes a 10-3 mark up I-95. In my opinion you throw the records out the window and on paper this one sets up to be another classic. Both teams lost a lot of quality players to graduation following the Spring championship game but have re-loaded as usual. For any Springer fans making the trip, we welcome you to Ashburn and the Dog Pound and hope you have a great experience (but a sad trip back Saturday evening). Looking for a great game with a ton of great coaching and athletic talent all over the field. Good luck to both teams!!
Great post with a lot of class

Reactions: CavsGrad
Is this the first time Stone Bridge has hosted Highland Springs?

Reactions: springer76
We're coming and there will be a lot of us! This is shaping up to be a classic. HS struggled a bit in the regular season, since the regular season ended, HS looks like a different team in the playoffs. They are peaking at the right time. These 2 teams have won 5 of the past 6 State Titles. I think the winner of this match-up will go ahead and win another one! This has turned into a great annual rivalry and always is a great game!

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Sounds good Springer76. Be sure to give yourself enough time for that 95 traffic between Fredericksburg and the Beltway (even on a Saturday you could get jammed up). Feel free to ask Coach Johnson, Pernell, Heath, Veney, Sutton, etc…to stay back and not make the trip. LOL. Seriously though, we are looking forward to hosting the Springers and their fans and I agree with you…another classic could be in the making. Safe travels!!!

Sounds good Springer76. Be sure to give yourself enough time for that 95 traffic between Fredericksburg and the Beltway (even on a Saturday you could get jammed up). Feel free to ask Coach Johnson, Pernell, Heath, Veney, Sutton, etc…to stay back and not make the trip. LOL. Seriously though, we are looking forward to hosting the Springers and their fans and I agree with you…another classic could be in the making. Safe travels!!!
I know I'm leaving early! Maybe a little shopping and definitely lunch somewhere before the game!!! Give me some of your favorite eating spots there!

A couple of good spots come to mind.

- Sweetwater Tavern (great diverse menu)….about 12 minutes from the school. Make sure you Google the one in Sterling and not Centreville.
- Ford’s Fish Shack (good seafood)….about 5-6 minutes from the school. Pick the one at Ice Rink Plaza in Ashburn (again several of them around).
- Carolina Brothers BBQ in Ashburn….about 3-5 minutes from the school.

Tons of parking at the school. School address is 43100 Hay Road, Ashburn.

Hope this helps!!! Early weather forecast looks fairly decent….let’s keep our fingers crossed that holds up.

It’s official!! @gohshsfootball will play Saturday at 2pm at @StoneBridgeFB in the Class 5 Semifinals. Tickets will all be online starting Monday @GoFanHS. No passes will be accepted and the link for tickets is posted here https://gofan.co/app/school/VHSL

- Sweetwater Tavern (great diverse menu)….about 12 minutes from the school. Make sure you Google the one in Sterling and not Centreville.
- Ford’s Fish Shack (good seafood)….about 5-6 minutes from the school. Pick the one at Ice Rink Plaza in Ashburn (again several of them around).

Hope this helps!!! Early weather forecast looks fairly decent….let’s keep our fingers crossed that holds up.
Sweet Water is Bank! Hopefully so are the Bulldogs! # Repeat

Will this game be streamed anywhere?

NFHS Network will stream the game live. However, the quality can range from a professional broadcast to worse than a cell phone with very poor resolution that is almost unwatchable!

Sometimes going to the school's Facebook or Twitter feed will reveal their link to a live broadcast.

NFHS Network will stream the game live. However, the quality can range from a professional broadcast to worse than a cell phone with very poor resolution that is almost unwatchable!

Sometimes going to the school's Facebook or Twitter feed will reveal their link to a live broadcast.

Thanks. NFHS can be a bit janky. I'll check those first.

I can second the opinion on Ford's Fish Shack! It's always a spot on my list when I'm in the area.

We’re going to the 4th quarter.
It’s 21-20 Stone Bridge up 1.
They have the ball 2nd and 8 at their own 40 yard line to start the quarter.

2 penalties on kids celebrating a big TD in a big game?! Wow VHSL! You gotta do better! Great game!

Great game by 2 top programs. Play this game 10 times and each team probably picks up 5 wins. These 2 teams have developed quite the rivalry and respect for one another. Both teams left it all on the field. I hope the trip for the Springer faithful was worth it. We enjoyed hosting you and let’s book a date for the playoffs in the fall of ‘22.

I agree with you. I had no team playing (my school is a Region 4B team) and knew it was going to be a great game. But, I was there pulling for Stone Bridge and sat on their side.

The officiating was trash overall for both sides. Too many unsportsmanlike conduct and personal fouls called. And going in, everyone knew it was going to be a physical game. Why not just talk to the players early to help curb any inappropriate actions early?

The VHSL really needs to go to neutral association officials for not only the finals (where they are already in place), but for the semifinals as well.

Great game by 2 top programs. Play this game 10 times and each team probably picks up 5 wins. These 2 teams have developed quite the rivalry and respect for one another. Both teams left it all on the field. I hope the trip for the Springer faithful was worth it. We enjoyed hosting you and let’s book a date for the playoffs in the fall of ‘22.
It was a good trip and it was a good game. Both teams played their hearts out! I've seen celebrating unrecognized by officials all season and before. Never seen it called so close as it was today. That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess! For HS's staff, they need to address this issue and make sure our kids refrain from it after touchdowns or big plays. The first one... okay. Twice within a few minutes, that should've never happened. Those 2 penalties was the difference in this game going to OT and being settled on the field, but the officials had a hand in it. Oh well....
I look forward to next year as HSs team is very young and a strong core return next year. We'll be back!
Congratulations to Stone Bridge and their players! You won a hard fought battle, now go down to Norfolk and show Maury who's boss! Bring it home Bulldogs!

Congrats to you! We KNOW we got screwed by NOVA officials,but we’ll be back. The video is ALL OVER NATIONAL social media,and VHSL has been sent the video! With any luck,that referee WILL lose his job. Good luck next week.

I think as fans we constantly have grown increasingly more frustrated as the regulation of any type of even minor emotion by a player or coach has attempted to be removed from the game. From looking at that video clip I think it is very difficult to justify a penalty, unless there was something that was said or not captured in that clip. High school sports, particularly footfall, should allow for emotion as long as it doesn’t cross the line to point blank taunting an opponent. I wish there was a way for refs to gather and come to a consensus that they all saw something that crossed the line before flat out penalizing a team in such critical situations. I realize those calls following the TD’s were very frustrating to the Springer fans, players, and coaches. Stone Bridge, along with almost every team chasing a title, has been there before. At the end of the day, we recognize what a great team you have.

^I didn't have a dog in the fight. Both teams played pretty well from what I saw. Just thought it was a lame call for a playoff game. I've seen much worse pointing, trash-talking, etc go uncalled. BUT that's just how it goes sometimes. Congrats to both teams on a good run.

Reactions: WP02alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT