ADVERTISEMENT

How do you stop great run attacks without being exposed to big pass.

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Bird and Tuscarora are probably the two best run attacks in the state (definitely in 5A). No one really seems to slow down either teams run game, but I feel like if any teams no how to stop the run, it's teams that run.

So, how do you stop these guys if you're a defensive coordinator? Do you put 9 or 10 in the box and dare them pass, figuring that's the weaker part of the game for the offense? Do you design various run blitzes hoping you guess the right hole often enough to blow up a play or two and force the punt? Penetration? Those strategies leave you vulnerable to a big play if the back cracks the line of scrimmage.

I say both teams got here doing what they do and they don't make a lot of changes to their strategy or basic defense and they just play ball. I have a feeling both teams offenses will have to work harder than usual this week and I still don't think either defense will sell out to stop the run.

The offenses might do well to run play action early and run some counters. Bird got burned a little bit on those delays and misdirections in the first half against Salem. I think that's the way to go.

Here's a sentence I never thought I'd type: "Bird is probably a little more likely to stretch the field with a deep pass."

I'm excited about these powerful run attacks (and to watch Noah, he seems like he can't be tackled), but I'm also pretty excited to see these two defenses that definitely don't get the credit they deserve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT