ADVERTISEMENT

How is the offical's doing during this year playoffs?

The officials have to call the game the way the players are playing. If the players are pushing and shoving and hacking, then it has to be called. The players determine how many fouls are called, not the officials.
This post was edited on 2/23 6:20 PM by bowlingref

I was in my cousin's hometown this week and he was telling me about a couple great players who were playing against each other Wednesday, so we went.

By the end, I was thinking of emailing the association's commissioner to say that in my opinion, I had watch the best officiated basketball game in a long time. There were a lot of fouls called but there had to be. Each team had a prolific scorer and each team would have, if allowed, had two guys in a group hug around the other's scorer. They were playing defense inside the jersey.

If those fouls aren't called then the game is being taken away from the kids because talent is being held down by the grabbing and clutching of lesser players. That's not fair.

The old axiom was proved true that when you don't care who wins, the officiating looks fine. The rubes in the stands, who have no clue how to call a game and certainly don't have the courage to try, were going nuts, but they all wanted touch fouls on their end and nothing called at all at the other.

The funniest thing to me was fans screaming for a foul, and the foul being called, and the fans still screaming in anger. At that point, you realize there is no sanity left.

Makes me glad to work football where the field is big and nothing said in the stands can be heard on the field unless you take the time to listen, and I don't know anyone who does.

My cousin talked to a couple coaches from the host school (they weren't playing) and they remarked about how the crew had proved why they were one of the best in that area.
This post was edited on 2/24 1:27 AM by White hat

Pushing, shoving and hacking should be called, especially push and shove. But "touch fouls should not".

Alot of fan reaction to a foul call or no-call is based on their lack of knowledge as to what constitutes a foul. By definition, there are three factors that make up a personal foul and all three have to be present for there to be a foul called. These three factors are:

1- There must be contact. Simple right? However, how many times have you heard screams either from the stands or even from the team bench "Moving screen!!!"? Without contact a moving screen is not a foul.
2- The contact must be illegal. So some may say that all contact is illegal. Using screens as an example again, there is contact during a screen. However, if the screen is set properly the contact is allowed and no foul has been committed.
3- The illegal contact must either put one team at a disadvantage or gain an advantage for the contacting team. I remember all the time hearing yells for hand checking when the player being hand checked is driving unimpeded for a lay-up. A foul called there gains the offending team the advantage.

Again, all three of these factors must be in place for there to be a personal foul and the ref's have a split second to process this information. Alot of the time the act is so obvious that its a no-brainer call. But alot of the times, also, the ref needs to hold his whistle and see how the play develops before calling the foul. That's why you see "late whistles" blown sometimes. Basketball is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport. When you have 10 players confined to an area as small as a basketball floor contact is inevitable. Ref's just have to make sure that the contact IS in fact a personal foul before blowing the whistle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT