ADVERTISEMENT

How will TX & OU moving to the SEC affect other conferences?

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Will the Big 12 dissolve with other conferences poaching the leftovers? Will they try to stay together and pull in some from the B5 Conferences? Will conferences get to 16 teams and stop, or are we looking at a total implosion with this round of musical chairs?

A couple of other things to discuss that have happened in the last couple of months: 1) CFP expanding to potentially 12 teams. 2) NIL (Name Image Likeness) players receiving money for endorsements.

Do these things diminish the NCAA's power?

I know this is a HS board, but a lot of interesting breaking news in CF right now.

12 team playoff would be a diaster IMO

The NIL is a bunch of bulls*it IMO...just handing kids money for no good reason plus get room board books food etc for free also....but then again we're in the "give them a participation trophy" era

There is always the NAIA. Just out of curiosity are there any colleges in Virginia that are in the NAIA?

12 team playoff would be a diaster IMO

The NIL is a bunch of bulls*it IMO...just handing kids money for no good reason plus get room board books food etc for free also....but then again we're in the "give them a participation trophy" era
so you need a reason to hand money to folks working for you and making you millions of dollars?
Humm....

Big XIII need to get six teams from AAC to protect the AQ.
I would get Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, and Tulane.

all of the other divisions have had real playoffs for decades but 12 is gonna be bad for the big schools? Playoffs didn't seem to have damaged JMU and Richmond they are in them almost every year They also seem to graduate their student/athletes taking real classes.

Last edited:
I don't think it will hurt anybody, unless you consider more games equals more chances for injuries. I personally would like to see a 6 or 8 team playoff. (If 6 a bye for the top2 first round) OR a 24,28,32 team playoff like D1AA, D2, or D3 has. That would be really watered down IMO for D1, but there are so many crappy bowl games now, so not much different.

I think adding teams like this to the Big 12 just waters it down too much. Add all of these teams up and they won't bring in what TX or OU added to this conference. They may try this, but I'd put my money on other conferences divvying up the leftovers.

I think adding teams like this to the Big 12 just waters it down too much. Add all of these teams up and they won't bring in what TX or OU added to this conference. They may try this, but I'd put my money on other conferences divvying up the leftovers.
WVU to ACC? - maybe
KU and ISU to the Big 10 possible
the rest - iDK

WVU to ACC? - maybe
KU and ISU to the Big 10 possible
the rest - iDK
I agree with you on those 3. I think securing Notre Dame will be the top priority for the ACC.
I've heard TT, TCU, Baylor, & OK St are targets for the PAC. I haven't heard anything good for K St in that scenario.

so you need a reason to hand money to folks working for you and making you millions of dollars?
Humm....
No just give these kids free money...free education and everything that goes with it ....yeah that's the way to teach this generation a work ethic.

Here is free money and you have to put our logo on your Twitter feed....sheesh really earning it lol

Reactions: Rev_Real
No just give these kids free money...free education and everything that goes with it ....yeah that's the way to teach this generation a work ethic.

Here is free money and you have to put our logo on your Twitter feed....sheesh really earning it lol
so you have to earn being compensated for some else making money off of your name?

Reactions: gwb16 and WP02alum
so you have to earn being compensated for some else making money off of your name?
They are getting it handed to them for nothing....why not pay for scholarships out of this money they make? Oh because it's THEIR money right...geez it's bulls*it IMO

They are getting it handed to them for nothing....why not pay for scholarships out of this money they make? Oh because it's THEIR money right...geez it's bulls*it IMO
they do have the choice of not using these "kids" likeness - we both know that's not gonna happen.

Reactions: gwb16

Since it’s the Big12, swap SMU for Tulane. Also, I’m not sure they won’t push for Colorado State, BYU or a handful of other MWC schools. Will be interesting to watch it play out!

I said all along it was my opinion...if you don't like my opinion then fine... everyone disagrees about stuff...get over it

Since it’s the Big12, swap SMU for Tulane. Also, I’m not sure they won’t push for Colorado State, BYU or a handful of other MWC schools. Will be interesting to watch it play out!
folks would rather go to Dallas than New Orleans and the Presidents would rather have a little church school over one of the best academic schools in the nation?

folks would rather go to Dallas than New Orleans and the Presidents would rather have a little church school over one of the best academic schools in the nation?

I hear ya. And you’re right that my opinion matters zero. Just feel like SMU gets an edge athletically because of the old SWC connection.

I said all along it was my opinion...if you don't like my opinion then fine... everyone disagrees about stuff...get over it

Lol, yes. “It” (whatever that may be) is “total bullsh*t” (whatever that is intended to mean). People sure do have strong feelings about things they’re unwilling to detail out loud.

I hear ya. And you’re right that my opinion matters zero. Just feel like SMU gets an edge athletically because of the old SWC connection.
and because of that TCU hates them and would never vote for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WP02alum

I disagree, I think houston is a good school to add. Memphis and Cincinnati wouldn't be bad, but you have to be careful of adding a bunch of teams. Adding Houston is a must to me, they can be successful in football and basketball.

I disagree, I think houston is a good school to add. Memphis and Cincinnati wouldn't be bad, but you have to be careful of adding a bunch of teams. Adding Houston is a must to me, they can be successful in football and basketball.
having a championship game is also a must so they need to get to 12.

Why not work with the sunbelt conference and have promotion and relegation between the two conferences.

Lol, yes. “It” (whatever that may be) is “total bullsh*t” (whatever that is intended to mean). People sure do have strong feelings about things they’re unwilling to detail out loud.
The NIL as I said before...sorry it's hard for you to read

The NIL as I said before...sorry it's hard for you to read

Thanks for the help with the first part. Nothing for the second part?

Seriously though “NIL is total bullsh*t”. Position stated. Can you defend your position with any logic or reasons? I’m not even arguing with you. So it’s not about us disagreeing. It’s about you shaking your fist at a cloud for no reason. Are you ashamed of your reasoning?

Saw some kind of report today about ESPN working with the American conference to absorb 3 to 5 members of the big 12. Man Disney is IN CHARGE of college football right now. That move seems crazy. Until you look at how Disney benefits from the situation.

Aside from OU and Texas, the other B12 schools aren't in much better shape over time or draw much higher ratings consistently without playing OU or Texas than the better AAC schools. Houston, SMU, Memphis all make sense. Cincy too but if the B10 decided to ditch their "academic" standard thing, they could wanna add Cincy to go with ND or another big name school.

Cincy & ND seem to me to be the next logical members of the ACC. ND may get forced into some variety of “full” football membership.

Cincy & ND seem to me to be the next logical members of the ACC. ND may get forced into some variety of “full” football membership.
It makes the most sense but I have a nagging feeling if push comes to shove and ND feels like they HAVE to join a conference, it'll be the Big 10. I think most people see more long term stability and growth in the B10 as opposed to the ACC from the football side.

It makes the most sense but I have a nagging feeling if push comes to shove and ND feels like they HAVE to join a conference, it'll be the Big 10. I think most people see more long term stability and growth in the B10 as opposed to the ACC from the football side.
I think ND is comfortable with the arrangement they have now with the ACC.

Reactions: WP02alum
Thanks for the help with the first part. Nothing for the second part?

Seriously though “NIL is total bullsh*t”. Position stated. Can you defend your position with any logic or reasons? I’m not even arguing with you. So it’s not about us disagreeing. It’s about you shaking your fist at a cloud for no reason. Are you ashamed of your reasoning?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and speculate that you have no reasoning.

If the Big 12 that remains merged with the AAC & formed a 19 team superconference they could maintain some semblance of a P5 conference, but in reality they would be an afterthought IMO.

This report from the WSJ last year lists the most valuable teams in CF. With TX & OU moving to the SEC in the near future, the SEC would be home to 11 of the top 20. Big 10 has 7 teams of the top 20. Independent ND is on the list. Pac 12 has one on the list.

This whole thing is about money and power. It wouldn't shock me in this fight for relevance and survival if when the dust settles only 2 conferences remain- the SEC & B10. In this scenario would the NCAA even exist anymore? They could pick up the leftovers that didn't qualify for the NFL Lite conglomeration.

Reactions: BigWinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT