ADVERTISEMENT

HS Football Rankings by State

Jul 26, 2018
I've lived in a few states in my short time here on Earth and have partook in HS football at each stop. I've decided to rank states based on what I've seen. Please note 1) that there is no specific criteria that I'm using and 2) I'm not including private schools cause that's essentially Create-a-Team (although public school is quickly heading that way now).

1) Ohio - Ohio football is definitely legit and they are SERIOUS about it out here. I made it a point to go to a game with 2 different teams in different areas every Friday to get a good feel for HS football here. I didn't see Glenville in person but I see why they lost. Most of the teams I saw have a good number of kids on the team and most actually play. A coworkers son's team has roughly 600 kids in the school and there were 60 to 65 kids on the team with roughly 45 to 50 actually getting meaningful minutes. Also, not a lot of 2 way players. The O and D-lines have excellent size too. Just quality football in general.

2. North Carolina - NC has GOOD football (or at least they did when I was there). Athletes all over the field andr really didn't see too many teams that were "homecoming" teams. I was there during the end of the Tom Knotts Era. Those Independence teams were *chef kiss*. And the small schools were EXTREMELY competitive ( Im sure @BoKnowsSports knows about Reidsville). Most of the population lies in Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad but there are A LOT of great teams that win states outside of the metro areas.

3. Virginia - Won't go into too much detail here as most fans in this site are from or reside in VA. I grew up during the Curry/Vick days (I'm Woodside c/o '00) so not much more needs to be said about that. I feel like VA HS football as a whole has regressed with recruiting and private schools. Still a lot of quality teams and players out there though!!

4. Missouri - Mizzou surprisingly has a lot of solid players and programs. I resided in the city of St. Louis where private school ball reigns supreme so all of the city schools were trash. I did venture out to the local counties and even Kansas City and always saw competitive football. I see why the universities (FBS, FCS, and D2) in MO have success. A lot of slept on Talent.

5. Maryland - A ton of athletes but no size on the line and no depth. I see exactly why they actively avoid crossing the bridge to play the VA Boys.

6. New Jersey - a complete joke. Please stick to basketball.

Thanks for leaning into my Ted Talk. 🫶🏿.

Virginia is in what I like to refer to as the third tier. First tier is obviously the big 3 of CA/TX/FL and second tier has your Georgias, Ohios, Pennsylvanias, etc. and VA comes in at the third tier and their position varies in there year-to-year. Definitely top half of the country, can push towards top third of the country on a really good year. I'd probably put them in that 18-20 range overall.

Reactions: ThevinStealberg
Virginia is in what I like to refer to as the third tier. First tier is obviously the big 3 of CA/TX/FL and second tier has your Georgias, Ohios, Pennsylvanias, etc. and VA comes in at the third tier and their position varies in there year-to-year. Definitely top half of the country, can push towards top third of the country on a really good year. I'd probably put them in that 18-20 range overall.
I 100% agree with you on all points!! In fact, I'd say GA has moved to the top tier (clear #4 though). Having 4-5 teams consistently ranked in the top 25 in the nation says quite a bit.

I've seen some games in other states (FL, IL, SC) but not enough for me to give solid feedback.

I 100% agree with you on all points!! In fact, I'd say GA has moved to the top tier (clear #4 though). Having 4-5 teams consistently ranked in the top 25 in the nation says quite a bit.

I've seen some games in other states (FL, IL, SC) but not enough for me to give solid feedback.

This is what I was going to say. GA public schools I'd put top tier.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Some states like FL also have open enrollment, different ways of handling it, which can also make a difference imo.
I've only seen a few Florida games so I didn't factor them into my rankings. I just got back from FL as my girlfriend's son plays (they lost in the last minute). He goes to a private school; 4 of the seniors are going FBS (lineman - Bama, QB - Air Force, D end - Vandy, her son - Army). They are a good team but I'm not sure they would win C6, 5, or 4 in VA this year. I'd love to see them in our playoffs though!

Knotts was one of those guys that just came along at the right time. Timing could not have been more perfect. Changed things up with weight training. Had sophomore Chris Leak. They won a ton of games...

Then he packed everything up, moved to SC because they pay more 😂, people thought he wouldn't make it, did the same thing down there. Truly the GOAT imo.

Knotts was one of those guys that just came along at the right time. Timing could not have been more perfect. Changed things up with weight training. Had sophomore Chris Leak. They won a ton of games...

Then he packed everything up, moved to SC because they pay more 😂, people thought he wouldn't make it, did the same thing down there. Truly the GOAT imo.
Mannnnnn, I moved to NC like a year or 2 after Leak. In fact, I got there when Hakeem Nicks was a senior. It was still the same program though. I can't remember who they beat but it wasn't pretty.

Mannnnnn, I moved to NC like a year or 2 after Leak. In fact, I got there when Hakeem Nicks was a senior. It was still the same program though. I can't remember who they beat but it wasn't pretty.

They probably were beating everyone. That's basically what they did. Going for his 15th state championship. Two states, three different schools.

GA 7A Championship tonight at 7pm if anyone wants to watch Milton vs Walton

(They got some other games before then, stream starts in about 20 minutes, yesterday's games 6A Championship still up under GPB Sports)

Reactions: SFUWO
None of the weekend’s Virginia State Champions was beating the Weddington Warriors this year…

GAV_WjLW0AAp07Y.jpg

Dutch Fork probably beat them if they played again next week. You want to get Dutch Fork early in the season before they get rolling. They didn't even have their starter at QB for the title game 😂. They're young, too, they'll be good next year.

I think the thing with VA/NC, I look at it kinda the same...VA likes football. NC likes football. SC LOVES football. GA LOVES football. That's where you start seeing a difference --

NC has more talent overall than SC. They have more people. But they'll never really pass them by much. NC doesn't pay teachers/coaches enough. Look at the coaches NC has lost. @BoKnowsSports can tell you. I could name half dozen off the top of my head easily over the last four or five years. Some of the SC schools are like small colleges. They have coaches making more than D2/D3 coaches. Their playoffs are broadcast statewide. They use instant replay. Stuff like that and just the bureaucracy and way things are run.

That's basically how I look at it. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (I do think teachers should be paid more) just the way it is right now.

Last edited:
Nahh Weddington, Hickory and Reidsville giving out Ls to VA’s top teams.
That's your opinion. Mines differ. Phoebus has already come to NC and beat up on Butler, West Charlotte and Richmond Senior in a Jamboree at Memorial Stadium behind CPCC when Butler and richmond was dominating. I was there and It gave me a indication that Phoebus can play with anybody. Freedom beat a great Dematha team this year that only lost to Good Counsel. Phoebus took Dematha down to the wire a few years back. Maury beat Wise, Dinwiddie, Stone Bridge, and Highland Springs. Weddington barely beat Dutch Fork who was struggling early in the season and had a current losing streak. If the two teams played now, I would favor Tom Knotts Dutch Fork Team. VA top teams can play with anybody.

That's your opinion. Mines differ. Phoebus has already come to NC and beat up on Butler, West Charlotte and Richmond Senior in a Jamboree at Memorial Stadium behind CPCC when Butler and richmond was dominating. I was there and It gave me an indication that Phoebus can play with anybody. Freedom beat a great Dematha team this year that only lost to Good Counsel. Phoebus took Dematha down to the wire a few years back. Maury beat Wise, Dinwiddie, Stone Bridge, and Highland Springs. Weddington barely beat Dutch Fork who was struggling early in the season and had a current losing streak. If the two teams played now, I would favor Tom Knotts Dutch Fork Team. VA top teams can play with anybody.
That wasn’t this year lol

Certain years I believe teams can beat anyone.
2008 Phoebus
2013 Dinwiddie
2017 Highland Springs
2018 Manchester
2022 Phoebus
2022 Dinwiddie
2022 Freedom
2023 Freedom
I just have a hard time seeing any one of those teams losing to out of state competition unless they have a plethora of D1 talent all over the field

Butler 2012 was good. I had to look it up, but that team went undefeated and finished top 10 in almost all the major national polls. 3rd in USA Today. 5th in ESPN. That was a good year for them.

Last edited:
2008 Phoebus
2013 Dinwiddie
2017 Highland Springs
2018 Manchester
2022 Phoebus
2022 Dinwiddie
2022 Freedom
2023 Freedom
I just have a hard time seeing any one of those teams losing to out of state competition unless they have a plethora of D1 talent all over the field

I hear ya. We just have different meanings of elite. There wasn't what I'd consider an elite team in VA or NC this year. And it's a lot of football math trying to compare teams like that. Not a dig at your team or anyone for that matter @General172011

Last edited:
Reactions: General172011
2008 Phoebus
2013 Dinwiddie
2017 Highland Springs
2018 Manchester
2022 Phoebus
2022 Dinwiddie
2022 Freedom
2023 Freedom
Yep this is how I see it. Certain years produce special teams that will compete with anyone. Last years 2022 champions were probably the best group overall for VA to take on OOS competition. This years Maury and Freedom squad showed they can with play the top teams from Maryland NC and SC.

Like countryclubjoe said though, it's a matter of priorities. I doubt SC or NC has much of a difference in talent than VA. But when the state as a whole treats football the same way Salem, Dinwiddie, HSHS ect. treats it, it creates another level of comp.

Reactions: General172011
Please don't put lump is in with MD though 😂. Wise and Quince Orchard might be good, but I looked at their schedule...How would you know??

Last edited:
Butler 2012 was good. I had to look it up, but that team went undefeated and finished top 10 in almost all the major national polls. 3rd in USA Today. 5th in ESPN. That was a good year for them.
Honestly in 2023 I think they would have had a hard time cracking the Top 25 in most national rankings with the same record. They have become a lot more aggressive about not ranking teams outside of a few regions/states unless they have high profile out of state wins.

Centreville was high up in some of the national rankings in 2013, and while they had a very good team they probably weren't any better than Freedom, who isn't ranked that high.

"Play with anybody" is a cute phrase that has no basis in reality. OS 2021 pitched 6 shutouts, never gave up more than 17, and 63 points total in 14 games while routinely scoring 50+ and never fewer than 42. That was a really good OS team, period. It's key to note that I mentioned 14 games because OS played 15 games. That 15th game was against one of the very top schools in the country and OS got pasted. That game was 21-0 after one and ended 49-0. The C6 state champ who was never remotely challenged all year got beaten by nearly 50 points, would have likely had a running clock put on them by the backups and would have lost by 2+ scores to the JV.

That was easily the closest Virginia has ever come to seeing that this state (and the mid-Atlantic in general) operates on a different plane of existence to the top tier of HS football states. Sure, Good Counsel can be up there, Miramar was a decent opponent for HSHS, and Glenville was a tough one for Dinwiddie but be realistic, folks. And if you still don't believe, get your AD to pick up the phone and give Texas or Cali a call and go get humbled, because that's precisely what will happen.

Honestly in 2023 I think they would have had a hard time cracking the Top 25 in most national rankings with the same record. They have become a lot more aggressive about not ranking teams outside of a few regions/states unless they have high profile out of state wins.

Centreville was high up in some of the national rankings in 2013, and while they had a very good team they probably weren't any better than Freedom, who isn't ranked that high.

You're right. That was a different time. They were pretty high in some of the polls this year after they beat Langston Hughes, but I don't think they made it into the Top 25.

"Play with anybody" is a cute phrase that has no basis in reality. OS 2021 pitched 6 shutouts, never gave up more than 17, and 63 points total in 14 games while routinely scoring 50+ and never fewer than 42. That was a really good OS team, period. It's key to note that I mentioned 14 games because OS played 15 games. That 15th game was against one of the very top schools in the country and OS got pasted. That game was 21-0 after one and ended 49-0. The C6 state champ who was never remotely challenged all year got beaten by nearly 50 points, would have likely had a running clock put on them by the backups and would have lost by 2+ scores to the JV.

That was easily the closest Virginia has ever come to seeing that this state (and the mid-Atlantic in general) operates on a different plane of existence to the top tier of HS football states. Sure, Good Counsel can be up there, Miramar was a decent opponent for HSHS, and Glenville was a tough one for Dinwiddie but be realistic, folks. And if you still don't believe, get your AD to pick up the phone and give Texas or Cali a call and go get humbled, because that's precisely what will happen.

I'm not one to make a huge deal out of the private and parochial schools, but the Trinity League is a different animal. Mater Dei and St John Bosco are going to name the score against almost anyone. Mater Dei beat Creekside 62-0 this year.

GA 7A Championship tonight at 7pm if anyone wants to watch Milton vs Walton

(They got some other games before then, stream starts in about 20 minutes, yesterday's games 6A Championship still up under GPB Sports)

Milton won this game btw it was an upset..Rich kids school. Kind of a 'meh' game. I don't think either one of these teams was top 5 coming into the playoffs. Maybe Walton. But their QB headed to Wake Forest played awful..

I hear ya. We just have different meanings of elite. There wasn't what I'd consider an elite team in VA or NC this year. And it's a lot of football math trying to compare teams like that. Not a dig at your team or anyone for that matter @General172011
Oh nah you good fam. I know we weren’t elite this year but last year we were pretty close if not.

I'm not one to make a huge deal out of the private and parochial schools, but the Trinity League is a different animal. Mater Dei and St John Bosco are going to name the score against almost anyone. Mater Dei beat Creekside 62-0 this year.

Creekside was also one of the "worst" schools on MD's schedule, too.

What's wild is how SJB beat Mater Dei 28-0 in the regular season then gets walloped by them 35-7 in the title game. That's a crazy swing between two teams that talented.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT