ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS 34 Martinsburg 3

It was a good win against a good Martinsburg team on the road, but not sure it was a statement win. If Martinsburg was a statement win, then what was the come from behind win against Chambers?
They were BOTH statement wins. IMO,the Chambers game showed fight and grit. It helped with the confidence for the young players,and reassured the work the veteran players have put in. It really gave the Jr QB some confidence and reassurance,and put a “pop” in his step. All of that became obvious last night,with a traditional power,not used to losing,got embarrassed on their home field. I think Chambers would have done the same to Martinsburg,but we’ll never know. What I DO KNOW is,this HSHS team is confident and electric. They are truly DIFFERENT.

HSHS is NOT top 25! I’ve seen what top 25 looks like. Top 50….maybe! They opened some national eyes for sure last night and vs Chambers

Statement win.
Great win guys. Congratulations. I got a text from someone at the game and they said the Springers played with discipline and team chemistry. Exactly what was missing last year. Let’s see if they can take it to the house this year.

Springer76, did you go to the game?

HSHS guys, is this team better than the Dortch team in ‘15 than won the Class 5 title at UVA by 20? That team in ‘15 was pretty darn good.

Great win guys. Congratulations. I got a text from someone at the game and they said the Springers played with discipline and team chemistry. Exactly what was missing last year. Let’s see if they can take it to the house this year.

Springer76, did you go to the game?
No I did not go. I have a friend in from out of town for the weekend. We are attending a Celebration of Life of a fellow classmate today. I had several of my old head Springers come to my house last night and we had the game streamed to my wide screen tv and we had a PARTY here last night! We had a blast!...and our Springers kicked ass!

It was a good win against a good Martinsburg team on the road, but not sure it was a statement win. If Martinsburg was a statement win, then what was the come from behind win against Chambers?
If it wasn't a statement win, what was it? Just an ordinary, run of the mill win? I don't think so. The #1 West VA team vs The #2 Va team. Maxpreps top 10 National game of the week? HS has beaten the #1 team in NC and the #1 team in WVA, I'd say as for this year, HS rules the tri-state area and should boost HS to the #1 team in Virginia, ahead of Oscar Smith and at least a top 50 in the Country. We are currently #75 Nationally, so top 50 isn't out of the question. Top 25... ehhh, maybe, maybe not... We'll have to wait and see. This does get us past the super tough first 4 games of the season undefeated. HS will most likely finish the regular season undefeated and a #1 seed. I think the general consensus for now is, nobody wants to have to face Highland Springs in the playoffs!!!

Congratulations Springer fans. What a program. Not taking anything away from last night but the Chambers win showed just how good this team is. The Springers have traveled 14 hours on the road and gotten 2 very big wins over two powerhouse programs in the span of 3 weeks. Very impressive. Don’t know if they’re as good as 2018, but they’re not far behind.

Reactions: springer76
Congratulations Springer fans. What a program. Not taking anything away from last night but the Chambers win showed just how good this team is. The Springers have traveled 14 hours on the road and gotten 2 very big wins over two powerhouse programs in the span of 3 weeks. Very impressive. Don’t know if they’re as good as 2018, but they’re not far behind.
It's really hard to nail down a comparison like that. That 2018 team was very special. 2015 team was a special team too. Whether this team is as good as those 2 is total speculation without all of the numbers and all to compare! What I can see with my own 2 eyes and others feel the same way is, this team is "special" too! This year's squad IS at the same level as those 2 teams. That 2018 team WAS a top 50 team Nationally. I think this one will be too...

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
If it wasn't a statement win, what was it? Just an ordinary, run of the mill win? I don't think so. The #1 West VA team vs The #2 Va team. Maxpreps top 10 National game of the week? HS has beaten the #1 team in NC and the #1 team in WVA, I'd say as for this year, HS rules the tri-state area and should boost HS to the #1 team in Virginia, ahead of Oscar Smith and at least a top 50 in the Country. We are currently #75 Nationally, so top 50 isn't out of the question. Top 25... ehhh, maybe, maybe not... We'll have to wait and see. This does get us past the super tough first 4 games of the season undefeated. HS will most likely finish the regular season undefeated and a #1 seed. I think the general consensus for now is, nobody wants to have to face Highland Springs in the playoffs!!!
First off, there are no ordinary, run of the mill wins. My situation is, I lived within 20 minutes of Martinsburg for over 20 years when I lived in western Maryland. I followed the teams in the DC area as well...St. John's, Gonzaga, Good Counsel, and DeMatha. I also follow ball more on a national level than I do at the local level, though I follow some of the Charlotte teams. I said I'm not sure Martinsburg was a statement win for a couple of reasons. First, last year Martinsburg came up to Richmond and played a Springer team that (according to some Springer fans) was young and didn't have chemistry. In that game, Martinsburg squeaked out a one point win. They celebrated like they'd won a state title. I've said before all things are relative and West Virginia football is not up there at the level of Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina. The fact the Springers won the game by the margin they did wasn't surprising. I could tell from the middle of the first quarter that Martinsburg was in trouble because of the Springers' speed. Regarding Chambers, I see them all the time here in Charlotte. We consider for the most part, South Carolina and Georgia having a higher level of ball than North Carolina. So, I didn't see the Springers' win against Chambers as that much of a statement win, because I see teams like Chambers and the teams in their conference every year. But in the context of it all, like I've said along with others, overall Virginia high school ball is not at the same level as North Carolina and certainly South Carolina. So, my point in all this is that context matters. In the context of Springer fans who usually follow mostly Viriginia ball, those two wins could be considered statement wins. For me, I've seen Hough and Mallard Creek handle Chambers in seasons past, so in that context, I saw the Springers win as a good win but not a statement win. So forgive me, if don't appear to share the same excitement as Springer fans over the Springers this year. But, I definitely see how Springer fans would certainly be excited. In my opinion, the Springers should march into the state title game unbeaten. Martinsburg should waltz the rest of the way, because of the level of their competition. For Chambers, they have a tougher road with Hough, Mallard Creek and a strong East Forsyth team. Anyway, congratulations to the Springers and good luck to you the rest of the way.

Last edited:
For an East Coast public school north of Atlanta to crack the top 50--certainly the top 25--in one of the more serious national rankings (not USA Today) is difficult without challenging a big-name private school or one of the top publics from a small number of states. We've seen some very talented Oscar Smith teams get pummeled by out-of-state powers in the past. Hopefully HS gets a good matchup in Ohio next year.

For an East Coast public school north of Atlanta to crack the top 50--certainly the top 25--in one of the more serious national rankings (not USA Today) is difficult without challenging a big-name private school or one of the top publics from a small number of states. We've seen some very talented Oscar Smith teams get pummeled by out-of-state powers in the past. Hopefully HS gets a good matchup in Ohio next year.
That could be a tough matchup.

Always a good win to blow out a team of Martinsburg’s caliber at their house. It’s the talk of the town right now.

Martinsburg was out-manned, specifically from a skill talent perspective, but HSHS coaching staff absolutely showed up Martinsburg’s coaching staff. It’s easy for a defense to get to the ball when they know when a team is passing or running the ball. I suspect MHS will change their strategy as they don’t have the personnel to run the same system they did last year.

First off, there are no ordinary, run of the mill wins. My situation is, I lived within 20 minutes of Martinsburg for over 20 years when I lived in western Maryland. I followed the teams in the DC area as well...St. John's, Gonzaga, Good Counsel, and DeMatha. I also follow ball more on a national level than I do at the local level, though I follow some of the Charlotte teams. I said I'm not sure Martinsburg was a statement win for a couple of reasons. First, last year Martinsburg came up to Richmond and played a Springer team that (according to some Springer fans) was young and didn't have chemistry. In that game, Martinsburg squeaked out a one point win. They celebrated like they'd won a state title. I've said before all things are relative and West Virginia football is not up there at the level of Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina. The fact the Springers won the game by the margin they did wasn't surprising. I could tell from the middle of the first quarter that Martinsburg was in trouble because of the Springers' speed. Regarding Chambers, I see them all the time here in Charlotte. We consider for the most part, South Carolina and Georgia having a higher level of ball than North Carolina. So, I didn't see the Springers' win against Chambers as that much of a statement win, because I see teams like Chambers and the teams in their conference every year. But in the context of it all, like I've said along with others, overall Virginia high school ball is not at the same level as North Carolina and certainly South Carolina. So, my point in all this is that context matters. In the context of Springer fans who usually follow mostly Viriginia ball, those two wins could be considered statement wins. For me, I've seen Hough and Mallard Creek handle Chambers in seasons past, so in that context, I saw the Springers win as a good win but not a statement win. So forgive me, if don't appear to share the same excitement as Springer fans over the Springers this year. But, I definitely see how Springer fans would certainly be excited. In my opinion, the Springers should march into the state title game unbeaten. Martinsburg should waltz the rest of the way, because of the level of their competition. For Chambers, they have a tougher road with Hough, Mallard Creek and a strong East Forsyth team. Anyway, congratulations to the Springers and good luck to you the rest of the way.
It's all good, I understand what you are saying too. HS had 2 teams circled on the schedule... Chambers and Martinsburg, the 2 most successful teams on the schedule. After beating Chambers (heart attack there!) then Manchester, Martinsburg had everyone a little concerned! Dismantling them the way we did was impressive. It made a strong statement. Even Virginia Preps released a writeup on this site on the game with Loren Johnson today, and label it "a statement game". As I said, I understand your take but, I'm not the only one that sees it as a statement game too! We both are allowed to call it the way we see it!

It's all good, I understand what you are saying too. HS had 2 teams circled on the schedule... Chambers and Martinsburg, the 2 most successful teams on the schedule. After beating Chambers (heart attack there!) then Manchester, Martinsburg had everyone a little concerned! Dismantling them the way we did was impressive. It made a strong statement. Even Virginia Preps released a writeup on this site on the game with Loren Johnson today, and label it "a statement game". As I said, I understand your take but, I'm not the only one that sees it as a statement game too! We both are allowed to call it the way we see it!
Exactly

Varina is the biggest remaining test for HS, right?
We've got Colonial Forge in 2 weeks, then back to back Atlee, Hanover, Patrick Henry, which all 3 are tough in their own right. I believe Hanover us back and could be a threat in their division . Then we close at Varina HS.
Even though we made it through the 1st gauntlet of the season, the 2nd half really isn't a cake walk!!! HS needs to stay focused and do what they do well and continue to improve!
This team has the goods and capability to finish 15-0. They just have to keep doing what they are doing!

Idk, I think Varina is starting to believe their own hype. It’ll be close because it’s one of the best rivalries in the state but the think the Springers are just that different this year. I believe Varina’s defense will be the best D the Springers see this year outside of Chambers.

Idk, I think Varina is starting to believe their own hype. It’ll be close because it’s one of the best rivalries in the state but the think the Springers are just that different this year. I believe Varina’s defense will be the best D the Springers see this year outside of Chambers.
You might be right! Marcus Lewis has done a terrific job over there as head coach! I root for Varina when they are not playing Highland Springs! The "East End" has made it's mark on Metro Richmond high school football! At some point in these playoffs, every one of the Class 4 and Class 5 regions could face these 2 to survive the "East End" to be a State Champ!

You might be right! Marcus Lewis has done a terrific job over there as head coach! I root for Varina when they are not playing Highland Springs! The "East End" has made it's mark on Metro Richmond high school football! At some point in these playoffs, every one of the Class 4 and Class 5 regions could face these 2 to survive the "East End" to be a State Champ!
I believe that Springers and Blue Devils will bring home their respective titles this year in football and basketball. It would be neat to see them both play in the same stadium on state championship weekend but I thought it was neat to see them come together when they won the basketball title. Varina/Sandston/Highland Springs is almost officially Title Town.

Just an opinion….HS should beat Forge by 5-6 TD’s, maybe more. The Springers shouldn’t have anyone get within 2 scores of them the rest of the way. Varina could hang for a while, but I suspect they put that game away too. Stone Bridge, Mountain View, Green Run, Maury, etc….3 score difference at least in favor of the Springers. Obviously stating healthy will play into it. Again, just an opinion

I believe that Springers and Blue Devils will bring home their respective titles this year in football and basketball. It would be neat to see them both play in the same stadium on state championship weekend but I thought it was neat to see them come together when they won the basketball title. Varina/Sandston/Highland Springs is almost officially Title Town.
After seeing what they did against Herm who got handled by Dale pretty easy, I would go Dinwiddie over Varina at the moment.

Also looks like Louisa is having one their better teams this year I would keep a serious eye on them.

After seeing what they did against Herm who got handled by Dale pretty easy, I would go Dinwiddie over Varina at the moment.
I agree. Herm is the poorest coached team of any of the top programs in the 804 and Varina looked as bad as Herm did (we all know Varina is well coached). I believe Varina will get better but Dinwiddie looks to be the most consistent team between the two so far.

Yes it was definitely a statement win vs Chambers. Back to back NC state champs and were runner ups last yr. They beat the team they lost the title to week 1. They are 3-2 vs Mallard Creek over that span and 2-3 vs Hough beating them twice in the playoffs.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
That 2019 Mallard Creek team was really good. Tied @Dutch Fork, W @Gaffney, W @Chambers, beat Hough wasn't close. Dutch Fork went undefeated, finished top 25. That was Trent Simpson's senior season. He'll be a first rounder in next year's draft.

Reactions: SFUWO
We will truly find out how good they are over these next few weeks, IF they dominate teams like Ponax (even though their down) and Forge it'd be interesting
I have to agree. They really haven’t played much of a schedule thus far. Colonial Forge has lost two close games to two pretty good opponents. I’m not sure how good Massaponax is, but it looks like Colonia Forge could be a pretty solid team. Colonial forge will be thoroughly tested next week against Highland Springs. As I’ve always said, that region still runs through Stonebridge until further notice.

Belated congratulations to HS in the two statement wins! Amazing last few years! I expect they will handle CF by 6 or so touchdowns - can’t get a gauge on them but I don’t think they are as good as usual despite losing a close one to Stone Bridge, even if they were as good, not getting close to HS I would think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT