ADVERTISEMENT

Huguenot Football

So these guys have four legit 1A prospects, but have only won two games in two years?
Something doesn't add up. :)
Transfers from other fairly established programs. He's had his coaches/recruiters out all the way up to Charlottesville and Fredericksburg since before he was hired. Coaches that are listed on his staff going to 14U games, two guys saying they were associated with the program approached players at the Deep Run 7v7. I've seen players getting messages from them while working out with another school. Dude is a snake oil salesman; same tactics he used at Life Christian.

Last edited:
Transfers from other fairly established programs. He's had his coaches/recruiters out all the way up to Charlottesville and Fredericksburg since before he was hired. Coaches that are listed on his staff going to 14U games, two guys saying they were associated with the program approached players at the BRR Trench Wars and the Deep Run 7v7. I've seen players getting messages from them while working out with another school. Dude is a snake oil salesman; same tactics he used at Life Christian.
I see. That is too bad. I'm not a fan of HS recruiting.

Recruiting like that within the public school setting makes me think he can’t coach kids up. Why not work with the principal who hired you & recruit HHS?

@WP02alum, unfortunately getting over and cheating is the way of the world now. He just stole Manchester's QB this week. I have mixed emotions about this one, because Coach Hall did the same thing (recruited) to win his state championship. Got a dose of his own medicine. The VHSL member schools continue to ignore it, so I say let's go and buy a team. Pro high school football. Seriously, it's not about the kids anymore. I don't know the answer or fix for this issue really. Before anyone responds to this ask yourself how many actual homegrown players you have on your favorite high school team.

Serious question, King George, Varina, and Highland Springs are three teams known to have a few impact players transfer in, year in & year out. John Marshall in basketball. Why isn’t these same things said and questioned about them? I’ve followed Scott for a while. He’s tried to help some of my kids when our own “head coach” wouldn’t do squat for them. Now I’m one who doesn’t like any mess and it’s been all business for him ever since he’s taken over at Huguenot. No “sketchy” instagram posts, no “my dms are open” posts, none of that.. Unless there’s serious proof that these teams are recruiting, nothing will or can happen. I’ve been very adamant that kids would follow the offers and the “lights”. Huguenot may not ever win a state championship, but they’ll be up there with Highland Springs and Varina in terms of talent and being a premier game that teams will try to schedule.

@BoKnowsSports, I just said the same thing five minutes ago to someone about King George. Their last two quarterbacks and this years QB have transferred in. I also referenced Tom Hall recruiting to win his title. Recruiting is nothing new. I am just tired of the hypocrisy of it. VHSL has rules they don't enforce and everybody looks the other way. Let's just let the kids play where they want. Kids not living where they say they do is actually easy to prove, but it would be swept under the rug. You are in NC and don't know what is really going on. The Falcon staff are recruiting their asses off. I respect your opinion and I believe Coach Scott has helped some kids. Sorry sir, but 15 families don't just up and move from Chesterfield with top notch resources to a poorly run Richmond City that's in a mess right now. I hate to tell you, but their mail has not likely been forwarded. We shall see if Troy Taylor, Tom Hall and Jim Henderson keep their mouths shut if he starts beating them.

Last edited:
Serious question, King George, Varina, and Highland Springs are three teams known to have a few impact players transfer in, year in & year out. John Marshall in basketball. Why isn’t these same things said and questioned about them? I’ve followed Scott for a while. He’s tried to help some of my kids when our own “head coach” wouldn’t do squat for them. Now I’m one who doesn’t like any mess and it’s been all business for him ever since he’s taken over at Huguenot. No “sketchy” instagram posts, no “my dms are open” posts, none of that.. Unless there’s serious proof that these teams are recruiting, nothing will or can happen. I’ve been very adamant that kids would follow the offers and the “lights”. Huguenot may not ever win a state championship, but they’ll be up there with Highland Springs and Varina in terms of talent and being a premier game that teams will try to schedule.

I'm fairly certain people give JM a ton of grief over their recruiting.

Reactions: Senex
I'm old school when it comes to this. You win or lose with your boys. Those that attend your school honestly. Yes, neighboring schools can have the waters muddied when a kid has to move in with an Aunt or Grandmother because of a change in their home situation. These things happen. But actively seeking kids from far away just goes against my style.

Of course, I'm not a big fan of the college Transfer Portal either.

My lawn---get off of it! :)

Me too @Chuck Vipperman (GW), but I understand a player and his parents right to make a legal move. I would never talk smack about a family who is legally trying to increase the chances of their child earning a scholarship. My biggest issue is the kids being punished (suspended) based on adult decisions that violate rules. Coaches rarely get punished over these type of matters. The team and kids suffer.

@BoKnowsSports always has the kids best interest at heart, so I clearly understand his thought process. Last year Dinwiddie won it all with every single kid coming up through our rec system. It just seems like it's getting harder for one school county teams to compete against big city/county school systems that allow kids to go to school wherever they desire. Can you imagine how good we would be if all of the Petersburg studs played for us.

@BoKnowsSports, I just said the same thing five minutes ago to someone about King George. Their last two quarterbacks and this years QB have transferred in. I also referenced Tom Hall recruiting to win his title. Recruiting is nothing new. I am just tired of the hypocrisy of it. VHSL has rules they don't enforce and everybody looks the other way. Let's just let the kids play where they want. Kids not living where they say they do is actually easy to prove, but it would be swept under the rug. You are in NC and don't know what is really going on. The Falcon staff are recruiting their asses off. I respect your opinion and I believe Coach Scott has helped some kids. Sorry sir, but 15 families don't just up and move from Chesterfield with top notch resources to a poorly run Richmond City that's in a mess right now. I hate to tell you, but their mail has not be forwarded. We shall see if Troy Taylor, Tom Hall and Jim Henderson keep their mouths shut if he starts beating them.
All due respect, me living in NC has no correlation with me not knowing what’s going on in Richmond?

As far as the kids coming into Richmond city, we knew that was going to happen. The Hurricane program is the equivalent to Team Loaded in the 804. The same programs we praise on here, do the same exact thing that the Falcons’ staff are being called out for. When Scott’s oldest son gets to high school next year, you’ll see even more kids flock to Huguenot. Kid is 6’3 and is already in the conversation for potentially being a top 5 QB in his class (I don’t put much stock into middle school rankings). Parents will send their kids to where they think they’ll get an offer or recognition. It’s the name of the game today.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Yes, we knew this would happen, but it doesn't make it right and for the VHSL member schools to even imply they care is where I have to draw the line. For me it's not just about Coach Scott. It's about the hypocrisy of a system which promotes fair play. My comment about you being in NC was not meant to be derogatory. I personally heard an allegation made by a parent to a coach of a rival school (not Dinwiddie) that an individual approached her at a 7-7 tournament and talked to her about making a move to the Falcon program. I cannot prove this to be fact, but based on @Senex comments there may be some validity to the rumors. If you were aware of this these allegations then I stand corrected. Yes, I admit being overly bitter about things, but I just appreciate the genuine efforts made by schools like Louisa and Dinwiddie who for the most part bust their tails to build programs with inferior funds, great community support, and players who work their way through the system. Feel free to slap me around for this, but I was always told "cheaters never win". Not sure I agree anymore. Have a blessed day and a good summer @BoKnowsSports.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything you said. Yes, we knew this would happen, but it doesn't make it right and for the VHSL member schools to even imply they care is where I have to draw the line. For me it's not just about Coach Scott. It's about the hypocrisy of a system which promotes fair play. My comment about you being in NC was not meant to be derogatory. I personally heard an allegation made by a parent to a coach of a rival school (not Dinwiddie) that an individual approached her at a 7-7 tournament and talked to her about making a move to the Falcon program. I cannot prove this to be fact, but based on @Senex comments there may be some validity to the rumors. If you were aware of this these allegations then I stand corrected. Yes, I admit I become overly bitter about things, but I just appreciate the genuine efforts made by schools like Louisa and Dinwiddie who for the most part bust their tails to build programs with inferior funds, great community support, and players who work their way through the system. Feel free to slap me around for this, but I was always told "cheaters never win". Not sure I agree anymore. Have a blessed day and a good summer @BoKnowsSports.
Definitely isn’t right nor is it my intent to condone it. I tell my dad all the time that the new right is wrong for anyone with integrity. You know that the system is jacked up. For me, I can’t come on here and call other programs out but Huguenot is the least of our worries. The portal game is nasty, even worse in NC than Virginia. My point was, I don’t doubt that Huguenot isn’t gathering their troops up but it’s nothing more or less than what some of the teams we often praise do. Also, Huguenot’s staff hasn’t been as blatant as when they were at Life Christian. He could’ve easily cleaned house at schools like Herm, Armstrong and Tee Jay, but those kids they have coming in, are coming at free will and most played for him for the Hurricanes or at LCA.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
Definitely isn’t right nor is it my intent to condone it. I tell my dad all the time that the new right is wrong for anyone with integrity. You know that the system is jacked up. For me, I can’t come on here and call other programs out but Huguenot is the least of our worries. The portal game is nasty, even worse in NC than Virginia. My point was, I don’t doubt that Huguenot isn’t gathering their troops up but it’s nothing more or less than what some of the teams we often praise do. Also, Huguenot’s staff hasn’t been as blatant as when they were at Life Christian. He could’ve easily cleaned house a schools like at Herm, Armstrong and Tee Jay, but those kids they have coming in, are coming at free will and most played for him for the Hurricanes or at LCA.
Good stuff. I was afraid the two of us were headed in a negative direction. You know I appreciate a good debate and will never intentionally head back down the path of foolishly running posters in the ground like so many of us did years ago. I just enjoy talking football. Thank you sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Definitely isn’t right nor is it my intent to condone it. I tell my dad all the time that the new right is wrong for anyone with integrity. You know that the system is jacked up. For me, I can’t come on here and call other programs out but Huguenot is the least of our worries. The portal game is nasty, even worse in NC than Virginia. My point was, I don’t doubt that Huguenot isn’t gathering their troops up but it’s nothing more or less than what some of the teams we often praise do. Also, Huguenot’s staff hasn’t been as blatant as when they were at Life Christian. He could’ve easily cleaned house a schools like at Herm, Armstrong and Tee Jay, but those kids they have coming in, are coming at free will and most played for him for the Hurricanes or at LCA.
Bo-How close are you to Danville?

Good stuff. I was afraid the two of us were headed in a negative direction. You know I appreciate a good debate and will never intentionally head back down the path of foolishly running posters in the ground like so many of us did years ago. I just enjoying talking football. Thank you sir.
Oh no, never was that the intent and I didn’t feel it going there at all. I’m probably more plugged in now that I know a lot of the 804 area coaches. You’d be surprised at the number of kids eager to get a crack at Huguenot. It’s going to either be a major success or a major disappointment. Really no in between.

Good stuff guys. I’m extremely damn proud that Dinwiddie accomplished what it did last year with all home grown talent. All the way down through MS and three levels of rec ball.
This is one reason why you see the level of community support that you do in Dinwiddie. I swear, it’s easier to get in to see a varsity game some weeks than it is to see a rec league game.

Dinwiddie is a model program. They are one of one in terms of the way Coach Mills runs the program. I appreciate how he takes a lot of underprivileged minority males, instills discipline and continuity in them, gives them opportunity and makes them men. I also appreciate what Scott is doing. He gets a bad rep for the LCA situation but in a world where many coaches are “look at me”, he truly does things for the kids and I trust (and I don’t trust many people) he has pure intentions. I wish him well and glad to see something potentially great coming to RPS.

@BoKnowsSports, you seem very passionate about Richmond Public Schools and the kids who attend. Any chance you will bring those positive vibes and talent back to the City? There aren't many out there singing RPS praises and they could surely benefit from having you employed.

@BoKnowsSports, you seem very passionate about Richmond Public Schools and the kids who attend. Any chance you will bring those positive vibes and talent back to the City? There aren't many out there singing RPS praises and they could surely benefit from having you employed.
Working on that Navy 👀

I can truly say that I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for George Wythe High School. You hear it all the time about how bad it is in RPS…It definitely isn’t close to perfect but nor is Henrico (haven’t worked in Chesterfield or Hanover so can’t speak on them).

Had a conversation with a coach with no ties to Scott today and I was informed that a lot of these kids are in fact Huguenot kids. Yes there’s been some transfers but a good deal of those VA Hurricane kids come from South Richmond.

@BleedingNavy I will be seeing you very soon sir. Missed you man. You must be a wizard to know that I will be back in the 804. Hope to see you, @DinwiddieProud , and @mbonape1 a lot this season as I will not be coaching this year. Haven’t made everything official but it’s very much a done deal.

Didn't have a clue. I just always pray for our kids and want them to have strong role models/leaders. Very few people including many of their parents believe in the kids today. @BoKnowsSports you always speak well of RPS and I believe you can make a difference. You may have to sacrifice money and career growth, but being where you need to be and acknowledging your calling will get you through. I have sacrificed a ton in my 35 years of employment and even though the rewards are few and far between they come when I need them the most. Best of luck young man. See ya soon.

Didn't have a clue. I just always pray for our kids and want them to have strong role models/leaders. Very few people including many of their parents believe in the kids today. @BoKnowsSports you always speak well of RPS and I believe you can make a difference. You may have to sacrifice money and career growth, but being where you need to be and acknowledging your calling will get you through. I have sacrificed a ton in my 35 years of employment and even though the rewards are few and far between they come when I need them the most. Best of luck young man. See ya soon.
Man RPS pays about as good as NOVA pays. It’s hard to find my type of work there cause it’s really good pay starting out. I’ll more than likely be in the surrounding county. I appreciate you boss! Should see you in Danville in 8 weeks.

Reactions: mbonape1
As bad as RPS is they are actually throwing out a decent amount of money for teachers including some big bonuses. . . but unfortunately that's not gonna be enough for most considering the working conditions. I work in Henrico at one of the older middle school buildings, and honestly it's a struggle making it through the day with lack luster ventilation, no windows on the building, dull lighting. I can only imagine what being in some of the RPS buildings everyday is doing to those teachers and students.

As bad as RPS is they are actually throwing out a decent amount of money for teachers including some big bonuses. . . but unfortunately that's not gonna be enough for most considering the working conditions. I work in Henrico at one of the older middle school buildings, and honestly it's a struggle making it through the day with lack luster ventilation, no windows on the building, dull lighting. I can only imagine what being in some of the RPS buildings everyday is doing to those teachers and students.
My fiancé is applying to Thomas Henderson and River City. Starting out at 65k plus over $10k in bonuses. Can’t beat it. Yeah you deal with a lot but as educators, that’s what we signed up for. The facilities are much much better in HCPS, even though you make a little less. HCPS has its problems as all districts, but you can’t beat the dependability of it. They take really good care of their employees IMO..

Yeah the Manchester QB that transferred in is very athletic and throws a good ball. They are just going to be young but very talented. The Manchester QB who transferred in was going to be 2nd team at Manchester bc they have sophomore Landen Abernethy as the starter who moved last year from a school in TX and is nationally ranked. So makes sense that a 3-star prospect would not want to be in a dual QB system at a public high school and would look to transfer.

Yeah the Manchester QB that transferred in is very athletic and throws a good ball. They are just going to be young but very talented. The Manchester QB who transferred in was going to be 2nd team at Manchester bc they have sophomore Landen Abernethy as the starter who moved last year from a school in TX and is nationally ranked. So makes sense that a 3-star prospect would not want to be in a dual QB system at a public high school and would look to transfer.
Looking forward to watching Huguenot play that Dominion schedule. I think they’ll be battletested come playoff time. Instead of Dinwiddie or Varina beating them by 4 scores like in years past, I like a 1-2 score game. It’ll all come down to coaching at the end of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT