ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley Rebels

As a geography buff, I just think it would be a cool adventure....but all things considered, playing closer to home is a lot more comfortable. I have made trips wayyyyyyyyy on down into the tip of Virginia (Coeburn/Norton area) for reasons other than football, but I kind of get the idea that a trip to Hurley might be longer and that the roads might not be as good.

In fact, since we have some Hurley fans on here, maybe they can give us some perspective....how long does it take you to make it out to 81, and where do you pick it up? That would help most of us to relate to the location.

If PM vs Riverheads happens, I think Riverheads wins by at least 3 touchdowns. Those 2 teams look like machines but Riverheads is more impressive. PM is playing very weak teams right now. The Fort Chiswell win looks to be the best win PM has. Covington may cause PM some problems as they competed very well with Riverheads. I do think this is PM's best chance to advance to the state for a very long time but they are not good enough to beat Riverheads just yet. Remember BG 20 - PM 0 and Riverheads 49 - BG 7.
Buffalo Gap barely beat Luray.

As a geography buff, I just think it would be a cool adventure....but all things considered, playing closer to home is a lot more comfortable. I have made trips wayyyyyyyyy on down into the tip of Virginia (Coeburn/Norton area) for reasons other than football, but I kind of get the idea that a trip to Hurley might be longer and that the roads might not be as good.

In fact, since we have some Hurley fans on here, maybe they can give us some perspective....how long does it take you to make it out to 81, and where do you pick it up? That would help most of us to relate to the location.

I'm assuming 81 to Wytheville - 77 north to Bluefield - 460 west for around 75 miles to Grundy then around 30 more mins on RT 83/650 to Hurley.

That helps a little. Our trip last year to Wytheville was a manageable 2 hours to 2:15.

From Wytheville it would around another 2:30 - 2:45 through the mountains. Honestly only about the last 45 minutes of it is a "bad drive." Starts getting curvy once you pass Richlands on 460 W

From my house to 81 @ Wytheville is 2 hours. Add another 20 min. to Hurley, another 10+ for not knowing the curves like I do, so 2.5 hours at best.

As for location, look for the tip where Va. meets KY & WV, then go south 5 miles.

They have road games at Twin Springs then Phelps, Ky, and close at home against Twin Valley.
TV will be crowded, being a county rival and the chance to go 10-0. If I were going to watch them sometime, I'd wait until the playoffs or go to Phelps, which finally got their new field opened this year.

May I add just one more thing to the travel plans; Who ever sits in the back seat of your
Car, you better get prepared to hang your head out the window, and puke your head off
Going around those curves. It worse than water boarding! Add another hour for clean up!

Other than that, the mountains are absolutely beautiful this time of the year, and this
Is God's country for sure!

Last edited:
My wife has worked in Salem for 16 years, she gets off work at 11PM and drives to Hurley, Rain, Sleet or Snow, maybe she could give you all some driving lessons. Not a single accident, from what I am reading she deserves an Award for just attempting it. LOL

My wife has worked in Salem for 16 years, she gets off work at 11PM and drives to Hurley, Rain, Sleet or Snow, maybe she could give you all some driving lessons. Not a single accident, from what I am reading she deserves an Award for just attempting it. LOL
How often does she do that? That's a terribly long drive.

Have to agree with John here guys. Its not the end of the world just the end of the state lol. Parry McCluer went there last year and I really didn't mind the trip at all. Its worth the trip just to" hear ole Jack talking to ya ". Hurley fans know what I'm talking about lmao.

Reactions: honestjohn60
Are we to assume that "Ole Jack" is one of those good old country boys with a twang? If so, didn't Bath County used to have one of those? (Not criticizing, because I admire anyone who contributes any way they can to their school.)

No longtime since its unlikely y'all will ever have to go there I will tell you. There is a property across the street from the football field that has a donkey. He's a big Rebels fan. Every time the crowd got loud Jack gets louder. My daughter loved it. Pretty much a live in Mascot. If you go there you will definitely hear old Jack.

She leaves home on Monday Morning, works 40 hrs and gets home Thursday morning about 3:30 AM

Must say I don't envy her. The interstates get worse every year. I can only imagine the wrecks she has seen in those 16 years. I avoid 81 whenever possible. Praying she comes home safe and sound to you after each shift John.

We all love our Rebels. Just like stirring it up a little. Goodluck to my Rebels and to the other teams as well. You all would like our cliff and our fans. We are good people from a small town. Everyone knows everyone and we all try to help each other and we love God and all people no matter race or color. We r all gods people.

Guess you made an A$$ out of me for making such an assumption! Definitely sounds like a cool place and if the circumstances ever dictate that we come there, I will see for myself I guess. So keep Ole Jack healthy!

Reactions: naildriver91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT