ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley Rebels

As a matter of fact the Rebels have a lot of folks pulling for them that have never even seen them play. I must say if Parry McCluer doesn't make it I myself will be pulling for Hurley. Lot of really good teams to get by yet though before worrying about a state game.

Hope the west can win. Hurley,GW,Galax,PM. Are good teams. Looks like Galax has played the best schedule to make a team better, but that might not matter to some.

Hopefully Fort putting a @$$ whipping on them changes the kids attitudes. Graham also but they could get another shot at Fort.

Same thing for GW I'm glad Galax abused us so badly. It will only open the kids eyes it's always better to be woken up early rather than in Nov.

The original poster of this thread is just someone trying to stir the pot. This was his first ever post. I'm sure real Hurley fans aren't thinking this way

Hurley has a lot of things going against them in putting together a more competitive
Schedule on the A1 level.
1. Their geographic location
2. Their geographic location
3. Their geographic location

It's location, location Location!

Not many other new teams wants to travel to Hurley, Va to play the Rebels at "The Cliff".
As for my opinion, I would not want to do that either, if I was a HC or AD.

So Hurley is stuck " Between a Rock, and a Hard Place ", No pun intended! Please.

Reactions: oldballcoach13
Are there quality teams in KY/WV that Hurley can schedule? I don't know much about out of state teams.

Within a reasonable driving distance? Not really.

The Kentucky team they have on the schedule now is a little down this year but they normally have a good record.

The closest school to them in WV (Riverview) has been really bad the last few years. They keep losing their best athletes to transfer so they'll probably continue to be bad.

Really not trying to start anything just a question. Why hasn't Hurley been considered for consolidation? Hasi/Clintwood, St Paul/Coburn ect have came together. And Hurley has what 180-200 students so they seem to be a prime candidate.

Really not trying to start anything just a question. Why hasn't Hurley been considered for consolidation? Hasi/Clintwood, St Paul/Coburn ect have came together. And Hurley has what 180-200 students so they seem to be a prime candidate.
It has been discussed, as has closing Council High. Grundy will absorb Hurley eventually, I'm sure.

I can't speak for all my fellow RHS fans, but some of us LOVE our road trips and we follow our team very well. I personally would look at a trip to Hurley as a cool adventure. That "cliff" sounds entertaining.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Hurley is in Buchanan County, which has
Grundy, Twin Valley, and Council High Schools. If consolidation was to occur,
It would have to be with those Schools in Buchanan County, and not involve other
Schools outside the County limits.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Hurley is in Buchanan County, which has
Grundy, Twin Valley, and Council High Schools. If consolidation was to occur,
It would have to be with those Schools in Buchanan County, and not involve other
Schools outside the County limits.

Yes..

What schools outside county limits are you referring to?

Are there quality teams in KY/WV that Hurley can schedule? I don't know much about out of state teams.
Yeah - Pikeville & Paintsville are regularly ranked in the 1A Top 10 in KY and are a lot closer drive than Rye Cove or even JI Burton.
WV - nope. The good small teams nearby have all been consolidated in recent years.

Like Chilwar25 said, location, location, location.
If Hurley closed, a bunch of students would go to East Ridge or Phelps. Rumored new consol. school about 10 years ago fell through when the economy tanked. We just don't have the $$$ here anymore. Maybe down the road, when the Coalfields Expressway gets built, and there's s decent road to Grundy, HHS might close.
If Council closes, again, kids would go to a closer school - Honaker, or maybe Ridgeview. And ppl. around here are still complaining about the ES consol a few years back.

Like Chilwar25 said, location, location, location.
If Hurley closed, a bunch of students would go to East Ridge or Phelps. Rumored new consol. school about 10 years ago fell through when the economy tanked. We just don't have the $$$ here anymore. Maybe down the road, when the Coalfields Expressway gets built, and there's s decent road to Grundy, HHS might close.
If Council closes, again, kids would go to a closer school - Honaker, or maybe Ridgeview. And ppl. around here are still complaining about the ES consol a few years back.
Are you saying the parents would move across state lines, or pay out of state tuition?

Move??? Why?
Pretty much every HS has kids that live outside their "zone".
Does Ky. HAVE OoS tuition???
When I was in school, I was told that we had some kind of agreement with our neighbors for X # of OoS kids allowed, because we had some there, and they had some here, so it was basically a wash. I went thru school with a Ky girl - her dad was a Grundy teacher & my bus driver for years, but they lived about 200 yards past the state line.

Last edited:
Move??? Why?
Pretty much every HS has kids that live outside their "zone".
Does Ky. HAVE OoS tuition???
When I was in school, I was told that we had some kind of agreement with our neighbors for X # of OoS kids allowed, because we had some there, and they had some here, so it was basically a wash. I went thru school with a Ky girl - her dad was a Grundy teacher & my bus driver for years, but they lived about 200 yards past the state line.
I know many schools have provisions for accepting students from another division, for a nominal fee. Within a county or city, there are also rules that allow a student to attend a school outside their own attendance zone, but these usually only apply to upperclassmen. Neither situation is very common in the areas I've lived. Is it more common in far SWVA? Might that be because of the terrain?

Consolidation can be a very good thing, or it can be a sword in your side. In my opinion,
Avoid consolidation if at all possible. Try to keep those smaller schools, if your county
Can afford the cost of operating 2 or more schools in a county, or city and county.

Your local smaller schools are the life blood of your local comminity. To see that school
Close, that can devastate a comminity in a heartbeat. You may turn a high school into
A middle school or community center, but that will never be the same as having a high
School in that community. It is just not the same, my friends.

I know that consolidation is very controversial. And there are valid reasons for all the
Controversy that surrounds combining schools. You close a school, and then you have
Sucked the life blood out of that community. You build a new school, and everything
Is just fine until the new wears off, and reality sets in, and you have a big cookie cutter
High school, that in no way resembles what you had before consolidation.

How many folks would give anything to have their old schools back? I bet more than
50% would love to go back to smaller schools in their communities. I have no facts
To back that up, only my opinion, and what I hear in my community. But you can Not
Have a high school in a community if you don't have the kids, and the population is
Shrinking.....and Shrinking, along with the tax dollars in the Counties to keep the schools
Open. Major problem!

My point is this: Support your local schools. Try to keep your community attractive for
Folks to move in, along with businesses and industry, which creates jobs, and produces
Tax dollars for your schools. Elect folks that are progressive in their thinking that small
Schools are a good thing. Be wise in your thinking that bigger is not always the best for
Your children. And be willing to pay for the cost of operating smaller schools. It will be
Worth the cost, in my opinion.

Ogbuthr, yes SWVA does have students that live in one county, and goes to
School in a neighbor county. It happens when the parent travels to the neighboring
County to work....they just take their child with them as they go to work to the
School in their work county. They just get permission from the school board
In the county the child will be attending.
Terrain has not much to do with it, unless the family lives and works on one side
Of a mountain, and the school is on the other side.....in that case, it only makes
Sense to not travel that mountain road everyday just to get that kid to school,
When they can avoid the mountainous roads by going to another school, which
May be in another county, nearby.

Don't know what this discussion is about, Hurley has always been a small school. the schedule has always been close to what it is now. Don't everyone get your Bloomers in a wad, as Blaster has said, they are untalented and un coached so why worry about someone who has no chance against those Massive Big Boys in 1A.

Reactions: obguthr
Amazing when a small school does well playing other small teams they should play bigger schools isn't it? How many of the AA schools are looking to travel and play AAA schools? Same ole argument the big boys do not want the small dogs to get any of their attention? Tell me the last time a AA school won the state in our area? Is it because they didn't play a tougher schedule? I applaud the young men from Hurley for their season and I am sure they enjoy the motivation some people are posting on here.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Honestjohn, you got a lot of folks pulling for your Rebels, ever time you guys take the
field. Folks love that small school, and for that reason. A small school playing a much
larger school with the bigger players, makes your Rebels popular and many folks wishes
your team the very best in the post season.

Hurley has caught the attention of football fans across the State. You can bet, fans are
Rooting for those kids on Friday nights. You guys are talented, and very well coached,
And because of the schools' uniqueness, your schools' popularity reigns in the State.

Best of luck, Rebels!

Reactions: naildriver91
I gotta say that I am pulling for them to do well, unless we meet up of course. But it is awesome that they do so much with the numbers they have. Small school football at its finest. I would be more than happy with a significant run by the Rebels during this playoff season. A friend of mine that is a PM fan expressed his admiration for them even after taking a loss to them last year. Kudos to the team and the community for supporting them.

I have mentioned this before but it bears repeating. When Hurley made it to the Final Four in basketball two years in a row a few years ago, I was very impressed with their fan base that showed up in Richmond, and you know that was no easy trek. They were more than competitive in those games, but I guess football could be a different story. I too wish them well.

Don't know what this discussion is about, Hurley has always been a small school. the schedule has always been close to what it is now. Don't everyone get your Bloomers in a wad, as Blaster has said, they are untalented and un coached so why worry about someone who has no chance against those Massive Big Boys in 1A.
How many times do I have to tell you I've never said they aren't talented or well coached. Please go find where I said that and I'll eat my crow. They have talent 11 kids but not much after that. And they are well coached but not as well as Galax or RH. You only seem to take issue with me and that's fine. But why are you not getting mad at others on here and other boards. I've seen several people say Hurley isn't up to par. But because I'm willing to say it to you or anyone else you can't accept my opinion and move on. So I'll say it again and make it real clear for you. I'm my opinion me you know the guy typing this. I feel that Hurley has some talent and they are well coached. But they do not have the talent or numbers of teams they will run into in Nov. They are not as well coached as some of the teams they might see. Would it be good for the community and kids to actually win something? Well of course it would and I've said even if they beat GW so be it teams get beat. If I never see GW win another title I can live with that I've see 2 now and many district titles. Is it possible for Hurley to win it all yes it is but is it likely no. In order to even make it to Salem. They will either have to beat or have alot of really good teams get beat. Like Galax, GW, PH, PM ect and to win it they will more than likely have to beat RH or Sussex. Honestly best of luck on all of that happening. Round 2 or 3 will be the first time any of us really get to see what Hurley is about.

I agree Master Blaster. Hurley in my opinion is the same as yours. The line is decent and the backfield is obviously great but I do not see much bench play to match the overall team speed that teams such as Riverheads, PM, or GW has. I might be premature but its happened before but I'm saying this openly right now. The state title game in Salem will be Parry McCluer vs Riverheads, they are machines! In scrimmages PM shutout Pendelton, Page, Roanoke Catholic, Wilson, and Lunenburg. Only time will tell that's why the game is played on the field and not online.

I agree Master Blaster. Hurley in my opinion is the same as yours. The line is decent and the backfield is obviously great but I do not see much bench play to match the overall team speed that teams such as Riverheads, PM, or GW has. I might be premature but its happened before but I'm saying this openly right now. The state title game in Salem will be Parry McCluer vs Riverheads, they are machines! In scrimmages PM shutout Pendelton, Page, Roanoke Catholic, Wilson, and Lunenburg. Only time will tell that's why the game is played on the field and not online.

If PM vs Riverheads happens, I think Riverheads wins by at least 3 touchdowns. Those 2 teams look like machines but Riverheads is more impressive. PM is playing very weak teams right now. The Fort Chiswell win looks to be the best win PM has. Covington may cause PM some problems as they competed very well with Riverheads. I do think this is PM's best chance to advance to the state for a very long time but they are not good enough to beat Riverheads just yet. Remember BG 20 - PM 0 and Riverheads 49 - BG 7.

Flexible, as many have stated you can't compare games teams have played against common opponents and always get the result. It is a measuring stick but match ups make a fight or so I am told. There are honestly 6-7 very solid teams with some 4-5 that could very well be wild cards and upset the apple cart. And I know longtime said he wanted to make the trip to the "Cliff", well I don't want to unless I am an impartial fan, lol. Seriously though it sounds like a great small town football venue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT