ADVERTISEMENT

I find it funny....

HooSprings

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 13, 2018
Highland Springs sets up the toughest schedule any public school has possibly ever had,yet now....it’s....play this team & play that team! But,when Highland Springs sent out all the requests,as far west as OHIO,the only 2 teams that “made room” on their schedule weren’t good enough now?! I’m quite sure,no coach replied with,we are gonna be down next year,but we’ll play the Springers anyway. Coach Johnson and his coaches have said,”they’ll play anybody”.

I’d love to see HSHS play Martinsburg,Marietta(GA),Dematha,Saint Joseph’s,Vance,or anyone else,but next time they send out the Emails....ANSWER IT with a...LET’S PLAY!https://www.greensboro.com/sports/h...cle_50d4d230-e089-11e9-a72c-4b03435b9930.html

Last edited:
Highland Springs sets up the toughest schedule any public school has possibly ever had,yet now....it’s....play this team & play that team! But,when Highland Springs sent out all the requests,as far west as OHIO,the only 2 teams that “made room” on their schedule weren’t good enough now?! I’m quite sure,no coach replied with,we are gonna be down next year,but we’ll play the Springers anyway. Coach Johnson and his coaches have said,”they’ll play anybody”.

I’d love to see HSHS play Martinsburg,Marietta(GA),Dematha,Saint Joseph’s,Vance,or anyone else,but next time they send out the Emails....ANSWER IT with a...LET’S PLAY!
I find it funny a 4a school with no championships in the last decade or more can "beat" a 4 time state champion. When they cant win their own division and the last time they played in the state championship they lost by 3 scores. Interesting...

I find it funny a 4a school with no championships in the last decade or more can "beat" a 4 time state champion. When they cant win their own division and the last time they played in the state championship they lost by 3 scores. Interesting...
I’m not even trying to get in THAT argument again. The Springers got bigger fish to fry! They are looking for The Demathas of the world,not smaller division,”unproven” schools.

I’m not even trying to get in THAT argument again. The Springers got bigger fish to fry! They are looking for The Demathas of the world,not smaller division,”unproven” schools.
I know HS is an excellent football team and certainly deserves all the accolades they have been receiving, but be careful what you wish for. Those upper tier privates are (mostly) on another level. As many on here have noted, WF scrimmaged DeMatha for years. Even in years when DM wasn't the best team in the WCAC, and in years that WF won the state championship or made it to the semis, WF was not anywhere close to the level of DM. Just sayin'....

I know HS is an excellent football team and certainly deserves all the accolades they have been receiving, but be careful what you wish for. Those upper tier privates are (mostly) on another level. As many on here have noted, WF scrimmaged DeMatha for years. Even in years when DM wasn't the best team in the WCAC, and in years that WF won the state championship or made it to the semis, WF was not anywhere close to the level of DM. Just sayin'....
I think they really want to test the kids by making the comfortable with being uncomfortable. Their schedule this year was set up to be difficult,and prepare them for the playoffs. I believe it will do just that. With the speed this team possesses I think they would have a very good game against the likes of Dematha or St. Francis. You don’t know how good you are, or where you need to go until you’ve tested yourself.

I think they really want to test the kids by making the comfortable with being uncomfortable. Their schedule this year was set up to be difficult,and prepare them for the playoffs. I believe it will do just that. With the speed this team possesses I think they would have a very good game against the likes of Dematha or St. Francis. You don’t know how good you are, or where you need to go until you’ve tested yourself.
I have to agree with you in that I think they would be competitive with the privates, although I don't think they win more than they lose, simply because of the overall size and talent differences. HS has a great schedule. To be honest, I wish I lived closer so I could see some of their games, as it is not often you see teams of this caliber play against comparable opponents. HS has put together one of the most challenging schedules I have ever seen for a public school in VA (not that they need any prep for the playoffs). HS has had a rare string of superb teams and it makes sense to challenge them.

IMO, what may keep HSHS "in" some of those games vs prep schools is the all around speed there team possess. What traditionally separates the NOVA schools from the Central and Eastern Schools?! To me that's speed and natural athleticism. Prep schools usually have the size and speed, that's how they bully Public schools. Watching HSHS, they wont be easy to push around and have speed at every level. Example, history has shown us, Stone Bridge has great fundamentals, good size but what beats them in the States? SPEED and athleticism. I played at Oakton when we lost to CD Hylton in 2002, now live in the 804 area and watch a lot of football down here. That's what I see. IMO of course.

Reactions: falcettik
IMO, what may keep HSHS "in" some of those games vs prep schools is the all around speed there team possess. What traditionally separates the NOVA schools from the Central and Eastern Schools?! To me that's speed and natural athleticism. Prep schools usually have the size and speed, that's how they bully Public schools. Watching HSHS, they wont be easy to push around and have speed at every level. Example, history has shown us, Stone Bridge has great fundamentals, good size but what beats them in the States? SPEED and athleticism. I played at Oakton when we lost to CD Hylton in 2002, now live in the 804 area and watch a lot of football down here. That's what I see. IMO of course.
Then I am sure you remember the mud bowl against Westfield......

Reactions: Johnny"football"
Don’t kid yourself. The DeMathas of the world would have the Springers for lunch. Don’t think more highly of oneself than they should.

Reactions: LionNation540
Don’t kid yourself. The DeMathas of the world would have the Springers for lunch. Don’t think more highly of oneself than they should.
Considering HSHS has 19 kids with offers(11 D1), and is ranked in EVERY POLL ahead of Dematha,I like HSHS’s chances. HSHS has the size, speed,and more importantly, Depth to play with ANYBODY in the country!

I’m not the one that has HSHS #15 in the nation! I guess USA Today thinks they’re pretty good too!!

Considering HSHS has 19 kids with offers(11 D1), and is ranked in EVERY POLL ahead of Dematha,I like HSHS’s chances. HSHS has the size, speed,and more importantly, Depth to play with ANYBODY in the country!

I’m not the one that has HSHS #15 in the nation! I guess USA Today thinks they’re pretty good too!!
USA Today is the only one that has them that high.

23 with offers! Read!
https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals...football-looking-for-games.63080/#post-350164
You are going to see PURE SPEED on BOTH sides of the ball from BOTH teams,at every position on the field. You’re going to see lineman with LBacker speed. You’re gonna see power 5 skill players EVERYWHERE. The HSHS QB and Safety both hold a ND offer. The OSmith LB may be one of the best in the state,holds multiple big offers too. These are just a few of the over 20 combined D1 offered players that will be on the field. I love the fact this game is AT OSmith! This will be like a SEC clash at the high school level!
And a while before that, you said 23.

Reactions: aw19752
I guess you've never heard of 5 star top 10 LB in the nation Brandon Smith. What 5 star players has Oakton or HS had?
1 player in your entire existence and we didn't have 5 star players. We went to the state championship though and fought a LOADED CD Hylton team 6-0. Not exactly 43-22 in 4a...

1 player in your entire existence and we didn't have 5 star players. We went to the state championship though and fought a LOADED CD Hylton team 6-0. Not exactly 43-22 in 4a...
We've had multiple D1 players and have one in the NFL right now. Y'all had flameout Keith Payne. And stop insulting 4A Salem, the team we lost to, a team with NINE state titles that would also beat HS. The 2016 and 2017 teams definitely would've. You are just another type who looks at 5A vs 4A and ignorantly assume they'd beat the 4A team instead of using your eyes. 4A Lake Taylor beat 6A Freedom last year. I'm sorry that Oakton has been crap for so long that you hopped on the 804 bandwagon.

Last edited:
I guess you've never heard of 5 star top 10 LB in the nation Brandon Smith. What 5 star players has Oakton or HS had?
Penn State isnt College Football Playoff material.
We've had multiple D1 players and have one in the NFL right now, idiot. Y'all had flameout Keith Payne. And stop insulting 4A Salem, the team we lost to, a team with NINE state titles that would also beat HS. The 2016 and 2017 teams definitely would've. You are just another type who looks at 5A vs 4A and ignorantly assume they'd beat the 4A team instead of using your eyes. 4A Lake Taylor beat 6A Freedom last year.
Its about the quality of schedule. You base your arguments on could've, would've, should've. For all that UCF would've beat Alabama with your logic. I never played with Keith he was after me(He got a ring though, did Brandon) nice shot though!

Penn State isnt College Football Playoff material.

Its about the quality of schedule. You base your arguments on could've, would've, should've. For all that UCF would've beat Alabama with your logic. I never played with Keith he was after me(He got a ring though, did Brandon) nice shot though!
Lmao that's your argument about Penn State?

Eastern View had a much worse schedule than Louisa last year and made it to the state semi. And that terrible schedule HS had last year didn't hurt them.

It's cool, Brandon will make millions one day, no cap.

Lmao that's your argument about Penn State?

Eastern View had a much worse schedule than Louisa last year and made it to the state semi. And that terrible schedule HS had last year didn't hurt them.

It's cool, Brandon will make millions one day.
I hope he does, I'm all about young black men being successful. That's why I go to HSHS games because of that very thing. I also go to LC Bird games, Dale, Benedictine, Herm etc. I'm all over the area but you bashing a quality program and there very good teams is reckless especially when IMO Louisa doesn't play anyone to solidify your argument. Penn State is a great institution but hasn't been sh!t since Paterno left.

Saying Louisa can beat HS and calling out the exaggeration of their D1 talent isn't bashing them. If HS was more of a power running team, I wouldn't be saying we would beat them, because that was Louisa's weakness. But they're more of a spread/pistol team, Louisa's strength. Louisa took a big step this year by beating a VERY GOOD power running Massaponax team with a 6' 4" 190 lb D1 athlete at QB and D1 linemen.

And I beg to differ about Penn State, they've won bowl games and just produced an NFL QB.

Now I'm done doing this, you should too. Louisa had nothing to do with this thread or the other thread they got brought up in.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
We've had multiple D1 players and have one in the NFL right now, idiot. Y'all had flameout Keith Payne. And stop insulting 4A Salem, the team we lost to, a team with NINE state titles that would also beat HS. The 2016 and 2017 teams definitely would've. You are just another type who looks at 5A vs 4A and ignorantly assume they'd beat the 4A team instead of using your eyes. 4A Lake Taylor beat 6A Freedom last year. I'm sorry that Oakton has been crap for so long that you hopped on the 804 bandwagon.
How long have you been following Virginia high school football? There are very limited instances, if any, and none not named Lake Taylor, where a 4A state champ is beating the Division 5 and Division 6 state champs. The next nearest team that even enters the conversation is probably the '98 Salem Spartans. As far as HSHS goes they've got four in a row which puts them in the rarefied air of the Phantoms and the Crabbers and that is the high rent district in Virginia high school football.

Saying Louisa can beat HS and calling out the exaggeration of their D1 talent isn't bashing them. If HS was more of a power running team, I wouldn't be saying we would beat them, because that was Louisa's weakness. But they're more of a spread/pistol team, Louisa's strength. Louisa took a big step this year by beating a VERY GOOD power running Massaponax team with a 6' 4" D1 athlete at QB.

And I beg to differ about Penn State, they've won bowl games and just produced an NFL QB.
But Massaponax isnt a top tier team in the state IMO. I look at schedule and division. Who are you consistently playing and what have you done against them. You say HSHS played weak teams in the past but Louisa's schedule wasnt any better. So what can I go by.... Championships honestly.

@cutnjump I've been following it since 2003. And let's not forget Phoebus won those D5 titles with D4 enrollment numbers because they were allowed to play up, beating teams with much higher enrollments. Same with Lake Taylor when they were D5. Also LT beat LC Bird when both teams won states. These only reinforce my argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: VHSL-helper
But Massaponax isnt a top tier team in the state IMO. I look at schedule and division. Who are you consistently playing and what have you done against them. You say HSHS played weak teams in the past but Louisa's schedule wasnt any better. So what can I go by.... Championships honestly.
Are you serious? Ponax has multiple state semi appearances over the last few years alone. As I stated before, their only Achilles heel has been Stone Bridge, which they choked against in 2016, I was at the game. SB has beaten them by single digits, and has lost to HS by single digits. All three teams are within 14 points of each other in any given game. If that doesn't say top tier, I don't know what does.

@cutnjump I've been following it since 2003. And let's not forget Phoebus won those D5 titles with 4A enrollment numbers because they were allowed to play up, beating teams with much higher enrollments. That only reinforces my argument.
No it does not enforce your argument, it only shows how little you understand about Virginia High School football. You are correct that Phoebus had enrollment numbers(total school) that would have allowed them to play down as did a few more such as Lake Taylor but, they got the best athletes because they played up and had great coaching. While the enrollment numbers were 4A the roster numbers and talent were 5A or higher.

No it does not enforce your argument, it only shows how little you understand about Virginia High School football. You are correct that Phoebus had enrollment numbers(total school) that would have allowed them to play down as did a few more such as Lake Taylor but, they got the best athletes because they played up and had great coaching. While the enrollment numbers were 4A the roster numbers and talent were 5A or higher.
LOL that's supposed to be your argument? Actually it shows how little you know, but THANK YOU for backing up my point! That statement can be said about many teams. 2A Appomattox had "5A level talent" when they were at their best. Stone Bridge lost to Harrisonburg in the D4 playoffs with "5A level talent", went on to states their first year in D5. Literally my ENTIRE POINT was that there is parity among the top teams in the state, talent is talent regardless of enrollment numbers! Even the "depth" argument is mostly overrated, conditioning is a much bigger factor. I will absolutely love if Ponax makes it to the state semi or final in their first year in 6A, it'll only reinforce my point even more.

Are you serious? Ponax has multiple state semi appearances over the last few years alone. As I stated before, their only Achilles heel has been Stone Bridge, which they choked against in 2016, I was at the game. SB has beaten them by single digits, and has lost to HS by single digits. All three teams are within 14 points of each other in any given game. If that doesn't say top tier, I don't know what does.
Come on bruh, Highland Springs has had SB down multiple touchdowns multiple years. The lucky catch in the back of the endzone was the only time it was close, other than that it was double digits.

@Johnny"football" SMH. And there's no telling if HS would've contained the Ponax triple option or not, because they've never seen it before, or at the level Ponax plays it. Again, matchups.

@Johnny"football" SMH. And there's no telling if HS would've contained the Ponax triple option or not, because they've never seen it before, or at the level Ponax plays it. Again, matchups.
Again UCF can beat Alabama then... I understand what you mean about matchups and talent but HSHS talent has been deep and very good. Maybe the Brandon Smith Louisa team could match up but i dont believe yall win. There I gave yall that, happy! And I want to go to Louisa game but I dont like garbage matchups. Maybe deep in the playoffs I'll come out and support to see for myself.

@Johnny"football" Virginia high school football vs national college football is apples to oranges.

And multiple people in the 804 have told me that both 2017 Louisa and Salem AND MONACAN could've beat HS by 14.

LOL that's supposed to be your argument? Actually it shows how little you know, but THANK YOU for backing up my point! That statement can be said about many teams. 2A Appomattox had "5A level talent" when they were at their best. Stone Bridge lost to Harrisonburg in the D4 playoffs with "5A level talent", went on to states their first year in D5. Literally my ENTIRE POINT was that there is parity among the top teams in the state, talent is talent regardless of enrollment numbers! Even the "depth" argument is mostly overrated, conditioning is a much bigger factor. I will absolutely love if Ponax makes it to the state semi or final in their first year in 6A, it'll only reinforce my point even Roster numbers means depth and it is absolutely important both in terms of injury and in terms of playing teams with comparable talent. Appomattox had nice talent, no where near the depth to jump 3 classes. Stone Bridge may have been 4A but, losing one year and then moving up and winning the next probably is a reflection of the wild fluctuations in enrollment numbers. Pretty similar to Briar Woods hot streak and a couple of others. Other than Lake Taylor which I noted in my original post it doesn't happen. You have no real argument.

@cutnjump even the good 5A and 6A teams have serviceable depth, but still a noticable dropoff in talent after the first string. Most of that "depth" comes in for only a handful of plays over the course of the game anyway. Again, it's an overrated argument. At crucial points of a drive or a game, coaches are always going to have their first team in. As more and more powerhouse teams across multiple classes play each other as time goes on, you'll see my point more. Another example, 3A Hopewell is going to run through their tough district of much larger schools this year.

Saying Louisa can beat HS and calling out the exaggeration of their D1 talent isn't bashing them. If HS was more of a power running team, I wouldn't be saying we would beat them, because that was Louisa's weakness. But they're more of a spread/pistol team, Louisa's strength. Louisa took a big step this year by beating a VERY GOOD power running Massaponax team with a 6' 4" 190 lb D1 athlete at QB and D1 linemen.

Now I'm done doing this, you should too. Louisa had nothing to do with this thread or the other thread they got brought up in.

tenor.gif
I’ll make this easy for the narrow minded! For any idiot that thinks Highland Springs doesn’t have a power running game...ASK MAURY if HS has one! Almost 400yds up the gut,from the power-I and 71 points to show for it last year,and the ENTIRE OLINE is back for a 3rd year. 200yds on the ground vs State D5 Semifinalist North Stafford last week.
I counted positions of players with offers in that original post of D1 players. I counted players that play BOTH WAYS as 2 players. When a OL with 16 offers plays DE,I counted that as 2....my mistake! When a CB also plays WR,again,I counted it as 2. I’m quite sure my 6’1 QB with a NDame offer is more than comparable to Massaponax’s QB. I’m also sure my Clemson offered Safety is better than ANY defender that Mopax has. I can go on if you’d like! HSHS has had 10NFL players,including a current NYJ WR,and 2 more coming next year.

In my world...a W is a W. HSHS is 3-0 vs Stonebridge and 9-0 vs the 757 with 4 rings! Your best win is Mopax. Once again....you really don’t matter!

Reactions: springer76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT