ADVERTISEMENT

I find it funny....

@HooSprings I don't really matter, but you keep acting like I do. And if HS had Ponax's QB, trust me they would full time run a power offense. He's an even better runner than your QB.

Major caveat though, it depends on which Monacan head coach shows up. It's frustrating watching him coach, it's bipolar. He did everything right to beat Louisa for most of the first half, did most things wrong for the rest of the game.

@cutnjump even the good 5A and 6A teams have serviceable depth, but still a noticable dropoff in talent after the first string. Most of that "depth" comes in for only a handful of plays over the course of the game anyway. Again, it's an overrated argument. At crucial points of a drive or a game, coaches are always going to have their first team in. As more and more powerhouse teams across multiple classes play each other as time goes on, you'll see my point more. Another example, 3A Hopewell is going to run through their tough district of much larger schools this year.
I doubt I will see your point because in watching high school football in this state for over 50+ years there have been only a few instances that remotely come anywhere near your point which makes them exceptions rather than evidence. The only thing that MAY shift your point closer to reality is if participation numbers decline significantly in the sport overall. Depth is not an overrated argument in the slightest, it is just an argument you are unfamiliar with having not followed or actually competed against larger programs.

@cutnjump over most of those 50 years, the points system was more strict and most larger class teams didn't really play lower class teams during the regular season like they do now, correct?

Massaponax had depth and subbed all game and is much larger in enrollment than Louisa, it didn't matter.

540 Lion I think you are just a little off. I have had the ability to coach against every team you mentioned including Louisa. Highland Springs every year, Louisa, LT, Phoebus, Stonebridge, Briar Woods (With McSorely), Ponax every year. So pretty simple -
Highland Springs # 1 - Way above everyone. Not even close.
Stonebridge # 2
Phoebus/LT in their Hey Day # 3
Briar Woods # 4
From there I would go Ponax and maybe Louisa. Louisa is good - yes. But not even close to Highland Springs level. Not even close.
Wish you guys the best and it sounds like you have a good team and can make a big run. But Highland Springs is on a way different level.
Good luck but it really is not even close.

I doubt I will see your point because in watching high school football in this state for over 50+ years there have been only a few instances that remotely come anywhere near your point which makes them exceptions rather than evidence. The only thing that MAY shift your point closer to reality is if participation numbers decline significantly in the sport overall. Depth is not an overrated argument in the slightest, it is just an argument you are unfamiliar with having not followed or actually competed against larger programs.
All I’ll say is,I’ll put HSHS’s 2nd string vs ANY TEAM in the states starters. That’s offense AND DEFENSE!!

@Johnny"football" and I like how you say Louisa lost to Salem by 21, not understanding the context of the game, but turn around and say HS led by such and such against SB. With 4 minutes left in the game, Louisa barely got stopped on 4th down around the redzone (it was questionable depending on viewing angle), and had they gotten the 1st down they most likely would've taken the lead. Everyone in the stadium knew the game was over after that stop, but Salem fans were scared poopless before that stop.

@cutnjump over most of those 50 years, the points system was more strict and most larger class teams didn't really play lower class teams during the regular season like they do now, correct?

Massaponax had depth and subbed all game and is much larger in enrollment than Louisa, it didn't matter.
Not sure what you mean by the point system being more strict. Higher classification teams rarely played lower classifications because it was rarely a competitive game and closer to a glorified scrimmage if it did happen. I am not sure what your point is with Massaponax or Louisa but, you talk to any coach and they will tell you quality depth and the ability to minimize players that have to go both ways is a game changer both in terms of being fresh come the playoffs and avoiding injury. We'll see how the season plays out. I feel pretty sure Louisa will win a state championship before your point becomes evidence as opposed to an isolated anomaly.

Reactions: falcettik
I think they really want to test the kids by making the comfortable with being uncomfortable. Their schedule this year was set up to be difficult,and prepare them for the playoffs. I believe it will do just that. With the speed this team possesses I think they would have a very good game against the likes of Dematha or St. Francis. You don’t know how good you are, or where you need to go until you’ve tested yourself.
I agree and nobody can argue HS isn't testing themselves. I think HS's speed could allow them to be competitive with Dematha, especially if they can be successful limiting Dematha's run game. Now St. Frances...this year they are loaded with power five commits and speed alone isn't topping that defense.

540 Lion I think you are just a little off. I have had the ability to coach against every team you mentioned including Louisa. Highland Springs every year, Louisa, LT, Phoebus, Stonebridge, Briar Woods (With McSorely), Ponax every year. So pretty simple -
Stonebridge # 2
Briar Woods # 4
From there I would go Ponax and maybe Louisa. Louisa is good - yes. But not even close to Highland Springs level. Not even close.
Wish you guys the best and it sounds like you have a good team and can make a big run. But Highland Springs is on a way different level.
I respect your opinion.

I agree and nobody can argue HS isn't testing themselves. I think HS's speed could allow them to be competitive with Dematha, especially if they can be successful limiting Dematha's run game. Now St. Frances...this year they are loaded with power five commits and speed alone isn't topping that defense.
HSHS would have yo play their best game to beat St Francis,but boy o boy,I’d love to play’m!

Stonebridge # 2
Briar Woods # 4
You'd put Stonebridge ahead of Phoebus and LT? I'm being lazy, but didnt Stonebridge only win one title (2007?) against Phoebus and LT?

Reactions: Johnny"football"
Just a few days ago, you were cracking jokes about @CoachJoe73 running & hiding after the Ponax game. Now you respect his opinion?

Not sure what you mean by the point system being more strict. Higher classification teams rarely played lower classifications because it was rarely a competitive game and closer to a glorified scrimmage if it did happen. I am not sure what your point is with Massaponax or Louisa but, you talk to any coach and they will tell you quality depth and the ability to minimize players that have to go both ways is a game changer both in terms of being fresh come the playoffs and avoiding injury. We'll see how the season plays out. I feel pretty sure Louisa will win a state championship before your point becomes evidence as opposed to an isolated anomaly.
Strict because the larger team got hurt in power points for playing down, which isn't the case now.

Most coaches say they want their best 11 on the field no matter what, even it means they play both ways. My point is Massaponax is 2 classes larger than Louisa this year, is a very good team this year and they did not help your arguments about depth or talent level. Both teams are loaded!

The sky's the limit for this year's Louisa team, we haven't even played our best athlete all year until tomorrow, be careful what you say about that evidence!

HSHS would have yo play their best game to beat St Francis,but boy o boy,I’d love to play’m!
I'd stand in line for that one! Mater Dei set the blue print for beating them this year, but everybody doesn't have Bryce Young at qb.

@Johnny"football" and I like how you say Louisa lost to Salem by 21, not understanding the context of the game, but turn around and say HS led by such and such against SB. With 4 minutes left in the game, Louisa barely got stopped on 4th down around the redzone (it was questionable depending on viewing angle), and had they gotten the 1st down they most likely would've taken the lead. Everyone in the stadium knew the game was over after that stop, but Salem fans were scared poopless before that stop.
No I was countering you saying, "Massaponax lost by a few points to SB and SB lost by single digits to HSHS" trying to tie them all together. That's not correct. it was 30-13 going into the 4th quarter in 2018, 2017 they let up on Tuscarora, 2016 was the ONLY time it was close with a last second TD and 2015 they spanked SB. Much different than SB and Massaponax matchups.

Just a few days ago, you were cracking jokes about @CoachJoe73 running & hiding after the Ponax game. Now you respect his opinion?
Yes, because he wasn't being a smartass with the "stay in your lane" mess and actually was more coherent this time. That's literally all it takes with me, just make your points in a respectable way and if you compare teams, actually see those teams play first. Most people haven't seen Louisa and post things on here based on assumptions, and as was already said in this thread, some won't watch us because they think we just play a bunch of crap teams. The same folks who didn't come see the Ponax game, which was an amazing game with a ton of talent, no matter who won.

Yes, because he wasn't being a smartass with the "stay in your lane" mess and actually was more coherent this time. That's literally all it takes with me, just make your points in a respectable way and if you compare teams, actually see those teams play first. Most people haven't seen Louisa and post things on here based on assumptions, and as was already said in this thread, some won't watch us because they think we just play a bunch of crap teams. The same folks who didn't come see the Ponax game, which was an amazing game with a ton of talent, no matter who won.
Like i said after all this, I WILL be coming to see yall play if you go deep in the playoffs and see for myself what all the hype is about. But I'll be damned if i drive 1+ hours to see yall play Orange Co or Western Albermarle. IJS

Strict because the larger team got hurt in power points for playing down, which isn't the case now.

Most coaches say they want their best 11 on the field no matter what, even it means they play both ways. My point is Massaponax is 2 classes larger than Louisa this year, is a very good team this year and they did not help your arguments about depth or talent level. Both teams are loaded!

The sky's the limit for this year's Louisa team, we haven't even played our best athlete all year until tomorrow, be careful what you say about that evidence!
Generally coaches that say they want there best 11 on the field even if they have to go both ways say that because they have no other viable competitive option. As far as the rest goes I guess we will get the next data point come December.

I just think you’re getting all worked up for no reason. These Springer fans post as if people doubt their squad all the time & I’ve even called it out a few times when they were just fighting imaginary windmills. But you’re giving them that fodder they crave and you’re just wrong about Louisa matching up with HS. Chip on your shoulder is great, but you’re not convincing anyone on here short of winning a 4A state title. That would at least qualify the discussion a bit. For now, it just seems silly.

Last edited:
No I was countering you saying, "Massaponax lost by a few points to SB and SB lost by single digits to HSHS" trying to tie them all together. That's not correct. it was 30-13 going into the 4th quarter in 2018, 2017 they let up on Tuscarora, 2016 was the ONLY time it was close with a last second TD and 2015 they spanked SB. Much different than SB and Massaponax matchups.
Last year SB still came back, and I definitely wouldn't call the 2015 game a spanking, but I checked the score and stand corrected.

Reactions: Johnny"football"
I'd stand in line for that one! Mater Dei set the blue print for beating them this year, but everybody doesn't have Bryce Young at qb.
HS contacted teams in California too,but I wasn’t informed which ones. Sorry!

Last year SB still came back, and I definitely wouldn't call the 2015 game a spanking, but I checked the score and stand corrected.
You don’t always have to spank a team. HSHS works on depth no matter what game it is. This year’s QB got to play 3x in the playoffs last year to get experience,including the SB game in the 4th qtr. don’t look at the final score. The dominance could be early,and Johnson calls off the dogs. The HSHS BACKUP QB played the entire 2nd qtr vs Avalon and NStafford. What other coach does that?!

I just think you’re getting all worked up for no reason. These Springer fans post as if people doubt their squad all the time & I’ve even called it out a few times when they were just fighting imaginary windmills. But you’re giving them that fodder they crave and you’re just wrong about Louisa marching up with HS. Chip on your shoulder is great, but you’re not convincing anyone on here short of winning a 4A state title. That would at least qualify the discussion a bit. For now, it just seems silly.
That only applies with the closed-minded people. Many people, even people on here before, have said 4A top to bottom is tougher/deeper than 5A. IMO any of the top 14 4A teams (top 2 in Region A, top 6 in B, top 2 in C, and top 4 in D) of the last few years can compete with the top of 5A, even HS and most definitely Stone Bridge. So even though we don't have a title yet, I stand by what I said about beating them, especially the 2017 team.

Like i said after all this, I WILL be coming to see yall play if you go deep in the playoffs and see for myself what all the hype is about. But I'll be damned if i drive 1+ hours to see yall play Orange Co or Western Albermarle. IJS
People are calling that Ponax game the game of the year. It felt like a state title game. You could've come but missed a treat!

HS contacted teams in California too,but I wasn’t informed which ones. Sorry!
Instead of Page, too bad HS isn’t playing one of our top four teams in NC. I ran simulations there as well,
Vance 21 Highland Springs 20
Highland Springs 28 Richmond Senior 21
Highland Springs 28 Mallard Creek 21
Myers Park 28 Highland Springs 22

It would’ve been very competitive

Reactions: HooSprings
Wow, 23 kids with D1 offers down to 11 in a matter of weeks?!?!

Hey my man I don't know what your issue is with HSHS but if you want to see a real game why don't we arrange a game between the Springers JV and Louisa's Varsity. I'm pretty sure our JV will handle business as usual. Oh yeah I don't remember anyone saying HS has 23 D1 players. He said we have 23 kids with college offers. Don't forget many of the skill players are underclassmen

That only applies with the closed-minded people. Many people, even people on here before, have said 4A top to bottom is tougher/deeper than 5A. IMO any of the top 14 4A teams (top 2 in Region A, top 6 in B, top 2 in C, and top 4 in D) of the last few years can compete with the top of 5A, even HS and most definitely Stone Bridge. So even though we don't have a title yet, I stand by what I said about beating them, especially the 2017 team.
In 2017,HSHS was “supposed to be” in a “rebuilding year”,starting 5 Sophomores on the Oline. Those 5 are still starting this year. Johnson out x & od EVERYONE!! Last year vs Maury...he OUTCOACHED them. He knew they were loaded in the D-backfield. He switched to a Power-I and had their way. My point is....Johnson would’ve outcoached the Louisa coach. FYI...in 2017...HSHS faced a 5-Star Auburn commit at LB. This man can beat you with your own team!

Reactions: WP02alum
Instead of Page, too bad HS isn’t playing one of our top four teams in NC. I ran simulations there as well,
Vance 21 Highland Springs 20
Highland Springs 28 Richmond Senior 21
Highland Springs 28 Mallard Creek 21
Myers Park 28 Highland Springs 22

It would’ve been very competitive
That’s awesome!

LionNation540 I see you are a die hard lion fan just as I am I'm die hard Lion too. I also have enjoyed watching HS over the past few years. We can't compare the two cause of what they have accomplish. Let our guys go get our first state title this year then we can start talking bout that matchup in the future. I root for both teams to win state titles

@HooSprings it's definitely possible that Johnson may outcoach Louisa. I'd have no problem with that, he's a great coach and person. Coach Patrick has made some wild decisions and almost cost us the game against Ponax, the kids saved him.

I would say stop all of this nonsense about so called good teams. I think we would ALL agree over the past 4 years clearly Highland Springs and Westfields have been the best two teams/hands down. That said it is a shame we can't see that game. That would be like watching a Clemson v Bama. These other schools we mention do not match up with the two of them and what they have done the past 4-5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT