ADVERTISEMENT

If Casto Coached at Draft would the outcome be different

Nov 18, 2018
legit question. If Casto was Coaching at Draft would Draft be the Riverheads of this area?
What Casto has accomplished is mind blowing.

As mentioned it would depend on the commitment of the players, admin and community. The Johnny superstar of little league doesn’t always translate to varsity starter in G’ville. Parents at Riverheads have heard, understand and support it. I would say there is more talent year to year on average at Draft than all the local schools except maybe Staunton. What is done with them and how they are utilized is completely different. In another thread I mentioned that the SD coaches had a series where they were successful and never ran that motion or set again. As fence row geniuses we actually discussed this last night lol. Casto doesn’t out think himself and try to do more than he needs to.

I will go out on a limb and tell anyone who will listen that if Wygant at Gap sticks to the single wing and limits the size of the playbook they have the potential to be very successful. You could see the flow of the play calling last week when Riverheads played them.

It’s not about having enough plays to confuse the D all the time. If you execute 4-5 really good, more times than not you will win. Having a playbook with enough plays you need an armband and three people signaling in information doesn’t always equal success, especially at the 1A and 2A level.

These guys have expressed it pretty well but I would simply add that the consistency that Casto has shown demonstrates that it simply HAS to be his style and commitment that gets the job done. Some years have featured more talent and depth than others, yet he does it year after year. So yes that tells me that if given enough time, and enough cooperation as someone else pointed out, he could succeed elsewhere.

Reactions: Bama1985
I think it's just something in the water around Greenville !

Could it have made a difference last night? Possibly. But Riverheads had by far the better line and the best player on the field.

But Casto has had by far the most trouble against SD in his tenure at RH. 16-9 all time in the series with him as coach.

Casto is an amazing coach, but just Casto by himself wouldn't make THAT much difference. Norcross has been almost as important, along with others.

Watched an epic game a couple years back when Garrett Campbell threw a TD in the last seconds to give Draft the win

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT