ADVERTISEMENT

Impressions. Salem Louisa

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
1. Lions have a fine offensive football team.
2. Freshman back is the real deal.
3. Peyton. Lewis is a junior and he's the real deal also.
4. Love Salems business like approach. They don't get caught yp in the hoopla and there was a lot of hoopla. This has been true about Salem for a long time.
5. Lions need to strengthen their schedule. They got shell shocked early when they were finally playing a team as or more talented.
6. The jungle atmosphere is unusual and a little over the top, but they seem to take pride in it so good on them. I can see where teams could get intimidated. Salems just not one of those teams

1. Lions have a fine offensive football team.
2. Freshman back is the real deal.
3. Peyton. Lewis is a junior and he's the real deal also.
4. Love Salems business like approach. They don't get caught yp in the hoopla and there was a lot of hoopla. This has been true about Salem for a long time.
5. Lions need to strengthen their schedule. They got shell shocked early when they were finally playing a team as or more talented.
6. The jungle atmosphere is unusual and a little over the top, but they seem to take pride in it so good on them. I can see where teams could get intimidated. Salems just not one of those teams
Rumor on this side of the county line is the two freshman are leaving Louisa. I do not know the details on where or why but from what I am being told this is true about to them leaving.

I had the opportunity to speak to several media guys on Saturday and it appears to be some validity to the story. Apparently IMG is after the freshman rb while Woodberry Forest is trying to get its meat hooks in the other.

Is there really a difference between "scholarship" and "Limited financial aid" when it comes to these sports factories like Mater Dei, IMG, Bosco, or St. Frances?
Mater Dei, SJB, those are private Catholic schools. They recruit, but most of their transfers are from within Southern California eg Bryce Young. IMG is a boarding school that recruits nationwide. Look at the cost of attendance. Different level.

Last edited:
IMG dresses, the last time I looked, about 80 for their main squad, 120 varsity total. Just about EVERYONE there is a dude. I don't doubt that tennis/golf families subsidize the football program to some extent, but that's pushing $10 million in tuition per year. That's more than most college NIL collectives spend in a cycle. There's always been speculation about who pays for it. Everything I've read/heard suggests it can be expensive and IMG does seem to get a lot of rising junior transfers. Also, not sure why they'd give free rides if SAs can borrow the money. I could be wrong though 🤷🏻‍♂️!

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
One thing for sure, they're a different animal. They're not like a lot of the private Catholics. Which is why Mater Dei and SJB stopped playing them.

Last edited:
The lower levels are not dudes. Only the top level are dudes.
Their backup QB that was in Chapel Hill last month played on their varsity team. He has at least four P5 offers and was being recruited as a seventh grader. They're not the national team, but they have talent.

When I asked this question earlier this year ppl seemed very skeptical but looks to be like it’s happening

Reactions: gwb16

"While some football players get financial aid, most pay the full cost of $75,200 a year. Getting parents to pay is a crucial part of the business model. More than 80% of IMG Academy’s revenue comes from tuition, according to Greg Phillips, a co-managing director at the school."

Reactions: VolNation85

"While some football players get financial aid, most pay the full cost of $75,200 a year. Getting parents to pay is a crucial part of the business model. More than 80% of IMG Academy’s revenue comes from tuition, according to Greg Phillips, a co-managing director at the school."
I can't speak on how many pay or don't but I know of two guys personally that transferred there after starting their HS careers in a different state and they did not pay.

IMG is a business model. They're not a parochial school. They exist to profit off athletes and entertainment. That's their mission. They don't try to hide it either. It's right there on their website -- IMG Academy does not offer scholarships -- so if I'm in business to make money (which they obviously are and they're seemingly very good at it) why would I give someone a free ride?

I'm not saying you're wrong, as a side note, it's just something to talk about in the off-season. That's all. To me, that would seem counter intuitive. Doesn't it to you?

Look up there business model. I’m not going to google it for you.
I did look it up. It said five years ago IMG was making a lot of money because kids were willing to pay thousands of dollars to go there and then they just changed their mind and decided to let them go for free 😉😂. Wild.

Working with individual student-athletes, we recognize that each one's needs are unique. We have designed our admissions process to help identify and accommodate the needs of the individual. At IMG Academy, we provide special services and amenities to help pave each individual's path to reach their full potential. We offer a host of Need-Based Services that you may request.

No fuggin DUDE is paying to go to IMG.

Working with individual student-athletes, we recognize that each one's needs are unique. We have designed our admissions process to help identify and accommodate the needs of the individual. At IMG Academy, we provide special services and amenities to help pave each individual's path to reach their full potential. We offer a host of Need-Based Services that you may request.

Why would they lie?

Look at everything they offer: elite facilities, coaches, nutritionists, national schedule, dozen P5 coaches at practices, etc. You're telling me you wouldn't pay anything lol? Sure you would.

Look at everything they offer: elite facilities, coaches, nutritionists, national schedule, dozen P5 coaches at practices, etc. You're telling me you wouldn't pay anything lol? Sure you would.
If you offer a few DUDES a freebie here and there, that increases exposure, builds the "legendary" status. More of those "almost" DUDES parents will be willing to pony up that $$$ to foster that business model....it's like the corner pharmacist...he always gives you that first dose of medicine for free...because he knows you're going to be back....pretty simple when you think about it.
Well...it makes sense to me...their "out" is in their disclosure "We offer a host of Need-Based Services that you may request.".....open ended and they can do whatever they want with that. If DUDE is good enough.

If you offer a few DUDES a freebie here and there, that increases exposure, builds the "legendary" status. More of those "almost" DUDES parents will be willing to pony up that $$$ to foster that business model....it's like the corner pharmacist...he always gives you that first dose of medicine for free...because he knows you're going to be back....pretty simple when you think about it.
Well...it makes sense to me...their "out" is in their disclosure "We offer a host of Need-Based Services that you may request.".....open ended and they can do whatever they want with that. If DUDE is good enough.

I'm sure they offer financial aid. They say as much on their website:

It also says, "At this time, IMG Academy does not offer scholarships." Why would they lie? Why would they lie to the WSJ? 🤷‍♂️

You don't have to have a great hit rate when you recruit nationally like they do. But IMG recruits itself. Plenty of kids that want to go there. Boarding school like that at $10,000 - $20,000 is a deal. And if someone is willing to pay, I'm not sure why you'd give them a free ride at $80,000 a year. Not when you're for-profit.

This will be my last post on the matter. NOT ONE FOOTBALL PLAYER ON THE NATIONAL TEAM PAYS A PLUMB NICKLE. You are beyond a moron to think a kid from the Muck or East LA is paying tuition. Peace out ✌️!

This will be my last post on the matter. NOT ONE FOOTBALL PLAYER ON THE NATIONAL TEAM PAYS A PLUMB NICKLE. You are beyond a moron to think a kid from the Muck or East LA is paying tuition. Peace out ✌️!
What's different about all the kids from the Muck or East LA?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but here's some advice: Perpetuating negative, outdated or inaccurate stereotypes is not only harmful, it reeks of ignorance and small-town syndrome times a million.

Reactions: Lineheart
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but here's some advice: Perpetuating negative, outdated or inaccurate stereotypes is not only harmful, it reeks of ignorance and small-town syndrome times a million.
I don't believe he's saying anything is wrong with it. What EXACTLY is your problem with giving a kid a free ride when his family isn't capable of paying back that kind of loan? Just going there doesn't assure the kid playing time or a scholarship to college, we can't even begin to talk about a pro career. Facts are facts. No hate involved. I don't have a problem with it. Why do you? I'm just curious...I honestly don't care how they run their finances, I just offered a possible scenario as to why they might offer a freebie to a DUDE. Wasn't trying to throw shade.

This has taken an unnecessary twist now...

I don't believe he's saying anything is wrong with it. What EXACTLY is your problem with giving a kid a free ride when his family isn't capable of paying back that kind of loan? Just going there doesn't assure the kid playing time or a scholarship to college, we can't even begin to talk about a pro career. Facts are facts. No hate involved. I don't have a problem with it. Why do you? I'm just curious...I honestly don't care how they run their finances, I just offered a possible scenario as to why they might offer a freebie to a DUDE. Wasn't trying to throw shade.

This has taken an unnecessary twist now...
I think you misunderstood my post. I never said I had a problem with giving a kid a free ride. Setting aside that argument because, again, it's just a topic for the off-season. Doesn't really matter.

It's that last part -- you'd be beyond a moron to think a kid from Muck City or East LA is paying tuition -- that doesn't set well with me.

Putting it nicely, it's as if poverty, rescue missions, etc are only found in predominantly minority neighborhoods, and those kids aren't capable of anything without a scholarship. Not sure if it's done subconsciously, or what, but stereotypes like that aren't a good look. Something we could do without.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood my post. I never said I had a problem with giving a kid a free ride. Setting aside that argument because, again, it's just a topic for the off-season. Doesn't really matter.

It's that last part -- you'd be beyond a moron to think a kid from Muck City or East LA is paying tuition -- that doesn't set well with me.

Putting it nicely, it's as if poverty, rescue missions, etc are only found in predominantly minority neighborhoods, and those kids aren't capable of anything without a scholarship. Not sure if it's done subconsciously, or what, but stereotypes like that aren't a good look. Something we could do without.
OK...I can "sort of" understand your position....however, I know just as many, maybe even MORE (%'s clearly suggest I'm correct...but I digress) white kids that are in just as bad maybe even worse economic strife but aren't as talented athletically and will just continue the cycle of "MUCK".....but here we are....might I just suggest "choose your battles"?

I always used to say "some days it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints"....this might be one of those days. Everyone has a story. I have several. Some are relevant. Some aren't. None, I'm guessing, are of any interest to you based on your own personal experience. I respect that. Because I choose not to chew through those restraints....I learned that years ago....

Happy New Years....hope you have a great one....

OK...I can "sort of" understand your position....however, I know just as many, maybe even MORE (%'s clearly suggest I'm correct...but I digress) white kids that are in just as bad maybe even worse economic strife but aren't as talented athletically and will just continue the cycle of "MUCK".....but here we are....might I just suggest "choose your battles"?

I always used to say "some days it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints"....this might be one of those days. Everyone has a story. I have several. Some are relevant. Some aren't. None, I'm guessing, are of any interest to you based on your own personal experience. I respect that. Because I choose not to chew through those restraints....I learned that years ago....

Happy New Years....hope you have a great one....
You can "sort of" understand my position? I'm not sure you do. It's pretty simple: Stop using individual characteristics to describe entire groups of people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT