ADVERTISEMENT

Is it safe to say?

Sep 19, 2023
With two more weeks to go in the regular season, this may be the most wide open playoff field in recent years? There are some obvious favorites but each region has some coin tosses. I honestly don't have confidence picking a winner out of any region.

Last year I thought Graham would win the title by week 7 or 8. Maybe the first few rounds will provide some clarity.

Agreed. As a BSG fan, Union having to go to Abingdon next week is scary. Falcons seem to be clicking right now. After next week, 2D will be about set with Union and Graham facing good teams.

I feel confident Radford wins 2C but I have no clue picking any other region.

Reactions: MarlburlMan
just for some clarity and this is just my personal opinion I believe appo is better at this point than they were last year , after making some adjustments on offense and defense and I know other than Chatham who has a good team and with Dan River left some might say the schedule is week but take a look at the first 4 games . Brutal and all will be playoffs ! It’s going to be fun to watch the rest of the way .all the regions have a lot of good teams this year !

Last edited:
Union, Graham, Radford, Gretna, Appo, Riverheads, Central, Poquoson.

All of these teams can make a run. I know I left a few good teams off and some people may not agree or appreciate that. If I had to put 5 on it today, the title still goes through Region D.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I would add King William and Buckingham to the list above. King William has played the toughest Class 2 schedule in Virginia by a lot. KW was right in that game with Central Woodstock. Buckingham has as many athletes as anyone. It's not unrealistic to think KW could win Reg A over Poqouson and then beat the Region B team in a close semi final game. Same for Central and Riverheads in B as Buckingham on a good day can beat them, and with the speed Buckingham has on defensively against a run oriented team like Central/Riverheads, they have a reasonable chance.

I would add King William and Buckingham to the list above. King William has played the toughest Class 2 schedule in Virginia by a lot. KW was right in that game with Central Woodstock. Buckingham has as many athletes as anyone. It's not unrealistic to think KW could win Reg A over Poqouson and then beat the Region B team in a close semi final game. Same for Central and Riverheads in B as Buckingham on a good day can beat them, and with the speed Buckingham has on defensively against a run oriented team like Central/Riverheads, they have a reasonable chance.
Agreed on the tough schedule part for KW. Appears they have also switched there offense from a pistol style to a single wing. It’s taken the team a few games to adjust but they’ve looked dynamite the past few weeks. The young backs are running hard and the blocking has improved a lot. Should be a great playoff race to Salem for all regions.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
King William has played the toughest Class 2 schedule in Virginia by a lot.

FWIW CalPreps agrees, assigning them the toughest SOS in C2, although not by "a lot" as Fort Defiance is right behind them and Riverheads is decently close in third. As an aside, Appo (4th toughest SOS) has the best schedule by W/L at 43-22 and the other 3 teams I mentioned are in or around 39-41 wins and 25-28 losses.

Reactions: Kimosabe5
Key part is the Knights are finally healthy

FWIW CalPreps agrees, assigning them the toughest SOS in C2, although not by "a lot" as Fort Defiance is right behind them and Riverheads is decently close in third. As an aside, Appo (4th toughest SOS) has the best schedule by W/L at 43-22 and the other 3 teams I mentioned are in or around 39-41 wins and 25-28 losses.
Can you link that? I dunno where to find it.

Can you link that? I dunno where to find it.

SOS column to the right. Formula is the same for everyone everywhere so small schools have schedules in the "negatives" but it's all relative when comparing amongst the same class. Schedules don't tend to get into the positives until C3 in VA so for C2 you're looking for low negative single-digit scores for the top schedules.

Reactions: BigWinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT