ADVERTISEMENT

Is Your Favorite Team Represented In Their Neighborhood?

Kenneth Harris

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 22, 2022
In spite of the achievements of the students and athletes of Phoebus High School there is not much of a outward sign celebrating those achievements in Phoebus just outside Fort Monroe, Virginia. The doctors, lawyers, high ranking military service people, or the numerous professional athletes. No Blue and Gold. But...there are some colors being flown. Just not the Blue and Gold. What about your team's neighborhood?

When the players don’t grow up in the community, it’s hard for the community to support them.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
In spite of the achievements of the students and athletes of Phoebus High School there is not much of an outward sign celebrating those achievements in Phoebus just outside Fort Monroe, Virginia. The doctors, lawyers, high ranking military service people, or the numerous professional athletes. No Blue and Gold. But...there are some colors being flown. Just not the Blue and Gold. What about your team's neighborhood?
One advantage that a locality like Dinwiddie has is ONLY one high school. Therefore, the entire community supports and rallies behind just one team. And in answer to your question, yes, especially the football team, there is tremendous neighborhood support.

The population of Dinwiddie, like most rural communities is not very transient. Heck, virtually every student in the school system can be connected to previous generations of students. Many go back as many as five or six generations, or more. This fact almost assures support and enthusiasm. Phoebus has not done anything wrong, it’s just the fact that their situation is different.

I often wonder about the schools in NOVA. Almost nobody is “from there”. I guess there is enough interest from the families and friends of the kids as they work their way through the school system that support is not totally missing?

Your community topic reminded me of something.
Growing up I had a Great Aunt that lived in Buckroe, a few blocks from the beach and the amusement park. We used to stay with her for a week during the summer. Unfortunately, I never got to visit the park before it closed in 85. One of the many victims of Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion opening up. (Salem had Lakeside which closed in 86)

About 10 years ago I had a buddy that was turning 50 and they had his party in the bowling alley down Buckroe area. He went to Phoebus in the late 70's early 80's. His party was the last time I visited the Buckroe area.

To your post- Salem has great community support. (Not as good as in the past, but still good) Much like Dinwiddie being the only school in the county, Salem is the only school in the city. Salem also has some supporters and detractors from Roanoke that like to cheer or jeer when Salem goes deep in the playoffs.

I was always saddened when we traveled to Lake Taylor and saw the minimal support they received from the community. Our old friend Devilslb99 explained the many aspects of why this is the case. I understood and appreciated his explanation. But, it is still sad.

Mike, I visited Lakeside one time. Didn’t it claim to have one of the tallest wooden rollercoasters in the country? I also have a vague memory of a day visit to Buckroe Beach when I was very young.

Kenneth, we went down to watch Phoebus host Magna Vista some years back, and Phoebus seemed to have a pretty supportive crowd.

Growing up I had a Great Aunt that lived in Buckroe, a few blocks from the beach and the amusement park. We used to stay with her for a week during the summer. Unfortunately, I never got to visit the park before it closed in 85. One of the many victims of Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion opening up. (Salem had Lakeside which closed in 86)

About 10 years ago I had a buddy that was turning 50 and they had his party in the bowling alley down Buckroe area. He went to Phoebus in the late 70's early 80's. His party was the last time I visited the Buckroe area.

To your post- Salem has great community support. (Not as good as in the past, but still good) Much like Dinwiddie being the only school in the county, Salem is the only school in the city. Salem also has some supporters and detractors from Roanoke that like to cheer or jeer when Salem goes deep in the playoffs.
Oh, and Mike, the last time I checked you still haven’t grown up!

Reactions: mike salem

My brother worked at that amusement park. 😀

Reactions: mike salem
I was always saddened when we traveled to Lake Taylor and saw the minimal support they received from the community. Our old friend Devilslb99 explained the many aspects of why this is the case. I understood and appreciated his explanation. But, it is still sad.

Mike, I visited Lakeside one time. Didn’t it claim to have one of the tallest wooden rollercoasters in the country? I also have a vague memory of a day visit to Buckroe Beach when I was very young.

Kenneth, we went down to watch Phoebus host Magna Vista some years back, and Phoebus seemed to have a pretty supportive crowd.
The football games have been attended very well. I guess my questioned centered on the actual town of Phoebus, which is in Hampton just outside Fort Monroe between Pembroke Ave, Hampton Veterans Administration, Hampton University and Mercury Blvd. In Phoebus there is nothing. As insane as it sounds, the football team is going for a second 4peat in less than 15 years on top of the students other accomplishments. It is confusing as to why they are flying the colors they are flying in Phoebus and not celebrating any of the Phantoms. Even the Gloucester Dukes have their name plastered in big bold letters painted clearly on a water tower in Gloucester in easy to read school colors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT