ADVERTISEMENT

Its Official! VHSL VOTES TO CHANGE FOOTBALL SITES

The newly completed renovations at W&M will bring a brand new look to the games with excellent facilities. The large number of hotels of all price ranges allows anyone to stay over and the hundred or so restaurants can handle any volume of fans and pocketbook. I was often on Lynchburg on business and not all that impressed with hotel or restaurant selection beyond a very limited few.

The newly completed renovations at W&M will bring a brand new look to the games with excellent facilities. The large number of hotels of all price ranges allows anyone to stay over and the hundred or so restaurants can handle any volume of fans and pocketbook. I was often on Lynchburg on business and not all that impressed with hotel or restaurant selection beyond a very limited few.
I agree. This venue just crushes LU when it comes to food, accommodations, shopping and things to do (other than football). This is a family weekend place where you'll get plenty of brownie points with the wife and kids. The locker room alone makes LU look like a HS facility. The players will be in awe. Once the finalists and their families play there, LU will stay well in the rear view mirror.

I agree with you, Lafayette. Lynchburg is a nice enough city, but Williamsburg offers considerably more variety in lodging and eateries.

I think virtually all reasonably minded fans will find it an enjoyable venue.

I've only read about all the renovations at the W&M football stadium, but it's certainly equal to or better than LU. So it's not a step down.

Lafayette, it's good to see you on the boards again. We have missed your post. Be sure to watch the threads as we work or way through 4a, one team at at time. It's not to long before we get to "L" teams. We will want to hear about your team.

I hope someday someone sues the VHSL and wins, and takes VHSL to the cleaners.
Yes, we've got that. And the Spread is the only offense teams should be allowed to run and no one should ever attend UVA because they didn't use Vic Hall properly and Richmond traffic makes getting to W&M an impossible trip and on and on and on. We all understand HR6.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Shaunty, you left out there is absolutely nowhere decent to eat in Richmond!

Shaunty, you left out there is absolutely nowhere decent to eat in Richmond!
I had thought of a top ten moronic statements (and it came to me pretty quickly) but i decided not to especially when the amount of times I've been wrong easily accumulates to more. Now, I do acknowledge there's a difference between wrong and just plain stupid but I thought providing the opportunity to pile on when the chance presented itself was best left alone.

I luv ya babe and will defend you for always but that's a little disappointing. I would have bet that of all people, you would have understood what was going on here, especially with your feelings on LCA. Even you can't honestly believe LU does not "own" LCA and this was all about pay back. I would have thought this was exactly what you wanted.

I agree with you, Lafayette. Lynchburg is a nice enough city, but Williamsburg offers considerably more variety in lodging and eateries.

I think virtually all reasonably minded fans will find it an enjoyable venue.

I've only read about all the renovations at the W&M football stadium, but it's certainly equal to or better than LU. So it's not a step down.

Lafayette, it's good to see you on the boards again. We have missed your post. Be sure to watch the threads as we work or way through 4a, one team at at time. It's not to long before we get to "L" teams. We will want to hear about your team.
I fiqured it was time to get back on again. The wounds of December have more or less healed. Ready for a new season and another shot.

I luv ya babe and will defend you for always but that's a little disappointing. I would have bet that of all people, you would have understood what was going on here, especially with your feelings on LCA. Even you can't honestly believe LU does not "own" LCA and this was all about pay back. I would have thought this was exactly what you wanted.
I believe it was payback in my opinion but when I said "not me", I meant that the vote was unanimous. I knew they would vote for it to move. It doesn't bother me because I don't want LCA playing on their homefield and I will travel anywhere to see Amherst play. I think you misunderstood me Shauntclair or maybe I didn't type it correctly

I fiqured it was time to get back on again. The wounds of December have more or less healed. Ready for a new season and another shot.

I understand. There are only six groups of fans out of all the high schools in Virginia that happy when the season is over with. So don't take it so hard. Hell, I'm still hurting from our near miss in 2000!

Just good to have you back. We need your 2 cents worth.

I believe it was payback in my opinion but when I said "not me", I meant that the vote was unanimous. I knew they would vote for it to move. It doesn't bother me because I don't want LCA playing on their homefield and I will travel anywhere to see Amherst play. I think you misunderstood me Shauntclair or maybe I didn't type it correctly
From you, I will take that I misunderstood. My apologies. I'm really looking forward to what Amherst does this year. I follow them closely because of you. GL.

Reactions: wikki
LCA sued VHSL last year and won. Now The VHSL has taken LU,LCA to the cleaners.
I would offer one slight wording revision that being, "LCA/LU thought they won and got what they wanted." LCA is far less of a threat to surrounding schools and the VHSL now as a participating institution than they were previously and the Lynchburg region will scramble to replace the visitor dollars now going elsewhere with the move of championship games. It will be hard to attribute the vote of the VHSL to the previous lawsuit or to little Jerry's comments, however, the results are clear for all to see. If people look at the VHSL's historical record involving lawsuits, challenges to their authority, etc. the times where the VHSL has truly lost in the long run are limited. Yes they have settled sometimes where it was economically, politically or operationally expedient but, despite my disdain for the organization they deserve acknowledgement. They have a vision for the organization and its goals and they have very intelligently crafted a bureaucracy of rules, committees and processes that insulate their decisions from challenge and provide strong defensible positions in litigation. They further hedge their bets with a strong network of supporters and allies in Richmond.

Reactions: shauntclair
VHSL is a very poorly run outfit, and I do mean poorly. They try to please too many people (schools) instead of using common sense. Also they allow "select" schools to run the entire state.

Wikki , just a quick reference back to 2013 when you did not make the trip up to see the Lancers play at Arrowhead during the playoffs. So almost " anywhere"? o_O

Does W&M have a turf field or grass field ?
Turf since 2008. The Laycock Center is impressive but even I must admit, so is the Football Center at LU. But the locker room is way better at the Laycock Center. The Stadium at W&M is under renovation and expansion. It will be ready for the opening of the 2016 Season. Even you will be impressed. Hope you make the games.

Reactions: mike salem
From you, I will take that I misunderstood. My apologies. I'm really looking forward to what Amherst does this year. I follow them closely because of you. GL.
Me too I am really looking forward to their season this year. Should be a good one. Thanks Shauntclair for always defending me.

Wikki , just a quick reference back to 2013 when you did not make the trip up to see the Lancers play at Arrowhead during the playoffs. So almost " anywhere"? o_O
That was a year that I was really frustrated with several things and I am not the type of person that will drive alone at night on a trip. That was the situation, my husband didn't want me too either

Reactions: hamspear
Where are they moving softball and baseball to in Salem. Where ever it is, the facilities will not be as good as LU's. Liberty has the 4th best baseball stadium in country and 2nd best softball stadium. I bet salem's fields where ever they be, cannot take rain like LU can, and still play. I see a lot of rainouts.

As for center of state Richmond is not close, and Williamsburg is even farther off center. The center of state is a point between Amherst and Staunton River High Schools., I computed this about 3 years ago, utilizing military map reading skills, I picked up years ago.

The big questions are why did they move 5/6A to Hampton and why leave 1/2A in Salem. Granted Salem is a good venue for 1/2A, but something seems amiss with the deal.

But all in all, I hope there comes a day when VHSL regrets moving 3/4A games to Williamsburg. Very stupid decision.
I would hope they play baseball at the Minor League park at the Civic Center complex. However, I suspect two semifinals will be played at antiquated Kiwanis Field. I have no issue with the playing field although the outfield is huge, but the remainder of the facility is below quality for a state tournament. Believe me, I was there last year. As for softball I'm guessing the Moyer Complex will be utilized. I think they have four fields there.

Last edited:
Me too I am really looking forward to their season this year. Should be a good one. Thanks Shauntclair for always defending me.
We may not agree at times but you know your football. Your reads on teams are almost always right on. Full respect here. You support your team but don't sugar coat what you see from both them and the opposition. Your opinion is invaluable to me when it comes to measuring teams. So yes, for entirely selfish reasons, I've got your back. And I haven't even had any of your world famous pulled, BBQ'd dog.

Last edited:
I would hope they play baseball at the Minor League park at the Civic Center complex. However, I suspect two semifinals will be played at antiquated Kiwanis Field. I have no issue with the playing field although the outfield is huge, but the remainder of the facility is below quality for a state tournament. Believe me, I was there last year. As for softball I'm guessing the Moyer Complex will be utilized. I think they have four fields there.
Yes on the four fields at Moyer Complex in Salem.

VHSL is a very poorly run outfit, and I do mean poorly. They try to please too many people (schools) instead of using common sense. Also they allow "select" schools to run the entire state.
Do you have any facts or examples that would support these statements?

Reactions: cutnjump
Do you have any facts or examples that would support these statements?
That is a great question! VHSL has been around a long time and adapted to the changing high school landscape over the years. In addition, they have enjoyed stability in organization leadership. Furthermore, for the most part, they have been able to maintain a profile with a minimum of controversy, which is a positive, in my opinion, considering the size of the organization and the nature of its operations. I believe the characteristics just mentioned would all contradict the notion of a poorly run organization but, I am sure HR6 can correct me with the examples he will provide.

I will provide examples at a later time. Do not have time right now to refresh my memory.

: As for the Moyer Complex, it's good for youth league summer tournaments, but for VHSL state championship games, it's a cow pasture compared to LU's softball stadium.

I will provide examples at a later time. Do not have time right now to refresh my memory.

: As for the Moyer Complex, it's good for youth league summer tournaments, but for VHSL state championship games, it's a cow pasture compared to LU's softball stadium.
You make sure you hurry back with your examples when you have had time to refresh your memory and finish pouring the coffee in the Gretna McDonald's. Also, keep in mind that just because you disagree with a decision does not mean it is a valid example. Therefore, as you work on refreshing your memory please provide context and support for the reason the example is considered a bad decision.

LU has a great softball stadium and nobody in their right mind would say the field/dugout complexes at Moyer are comparable to LU. That being said, your contention that Moyer is unsuitable for VHSL state championship games is an absurd and laughable statement. Moyer has played home to not only national level summer tournaments but, the D-II and D-III national championship games. The surfaces and outfields are well maintained and far from the cow pasture picture you paint. The fan seating is good and appropriately sized for a state championship contest whereas LU's size would give even a well attended game the feel of a less than half full venue. Most importantly, the Moyer complex with multi-field set up accommodates other teams warm up space prior to their game or the ability to play multiple games at the same time should inclement weather force the schedule to be juggled. Finally, the staff and management at Moyer are seasoned veterans with a track record of running events safely, on schedule and in a well maintained environment and ready, willing and able to respond to special requests/needs of participants. A final consideration, god forbid it should be necessary, is that Greenfield in Botetourt provides another top notch facility as back up should some physical plant problem strike and make the Moyer complex unplayable. Again, Liberty is a great facility but, I see no need to denigrate other more than suitable locations to satisfy your need for a short jaunt up 29 to a place you are familiar with parking.

Botetourt is a nice facility for youth leagues also, but It's worst than Moyer. As for the rainouts, while Moyer wet and unplayable, LU can still play after a rain. Good example, last week the Lynchburg Hillcats had 4 rainouts, I believe. LU played as scheduled LU fields are much better after a rain.
I recall when they played VHSL softball at Moyer a few years back, they would play 2 semi final games at same time, thus denying fans the opportunity to see both games. I asked tournament director why they did that. She replied:
"play them and get them out of here".
I have been to every level of softball ever played at Moyer: D1, D2 and D3, Summer leagues, Team USA, etc. I have been to every level of softball played at LU Stadium. I stick by my cow pasture comment. Moyer is good but it's not in LU's class.
Distance traveled is never a concern for me. Heck I am driving to Rock Hill, SC to watch softball tomorrow. That's about 4 hours away.

Botetourt is a nice facility for youth leagues also, but It's worst than Moyer. As for the rainouts, while Moyer wet and unplayable, LU can still play after a rain. Good example, last week the Lynchburg Hillcats had 4 rainouts, I believe. LU played as scheduled LU fields are much better after a rain.
I recall when they played VHSL softball at Moyer a few years back, they would play 2 semi final games at same time, thus denying fans the opportunity to see both games. I asked tournament director why they did that. She replied:
"play them and get them out of here".
I have been to every level of softball ever played at Moyer: D1, D2 and D3, Summer leagues, Team USA, etc. I have been to every level of softball played at LU Stadium. I stick by my cow pasture comment. Moyer is good but it's not in LU's class.
Distance traveled is never a concern for me. Heck I am driving to Rock Hill, SC to watch softball tomorrow. That's about 4 hours away.
Reading comprehension and logical reasoning is clearly a challenge for you. It was never asserted Moyer was in the class of LU's field. I fail to see the relevance of the comparison LU's softball complex to the Hillcats in the context of this discussion either. It was asserted that Moyer was more than suitable to hold a state championship, which it clearly is based on its track record. Furthermore, IF you have been to the events you claim to have been and IF you have any real knowledge of the sport you know that to be the truth. You can stick by your cow pasture comment all you like, that does not make it any less absurd or your position any less tenuous.

Reactions: salemfan32
LU is a better venue than Moyer for VHSL state championship softball games in every way, one can dream or imagine.
I have seen games at Moyer not played due to wet field. I have never seen that at LU.

The baseball games will likely be held at Lewis Gale Field home of the Class A Salem Red Sox. The softball games will be held at Moyer Sports Complex home of the NCAA D-2 national championship as well as many other national tournaments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT