1. Chancellor
2. Courtland
3. Eastern View
4. James Monroe
5. King George/Culpeper/Orange/Riverbend/Stafford
6. Louisa
7. Massaponax
8. Spotsylvania

Chancellor, Spotsy, and JM are good again. Courtland will always be solid. EV, Ponax and Louisa will be loaded most years. This would be a powerhouse of a district with a variety of well-coached offenses and defenses, and it would feel like the 80s and 90s again. Think of the gate and concessions money every week! Let's make it happen, give the Fredericksburg area what it wants!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7time and tw2126
I wouldn't like to see a change like that for two reasons.

First has nothing to do with the Varsity squads and everything to do with the JVs. Most, if not all, 5A and 6A teams have a Freshman squad, JV squad and a Varsity squad. 4A and smaller only have JV and Varsity. The larger schools JVs are mostly Sophomores and some Juniors while the smaller schools are mostly Freshman and a few Sophomores. Go see Massaponax JV play Chancellor and it looks like a Varsity squad playing a bunch of 8th graders .... and thats not far off. Thats one reason Courtland dropped the bigger schools and its been a discussion point at every 4A school I know. Way too easy to get a young player hurt and the only thing they learn from the game is big dudes are faster, stronger and hit harder. And no one wants to go see a game like that.

The second is the size of the district. With more than 10 teams in a district there are no non-district games. That means game 1 is for the district trophy. There would be no non-district games. No chance to play someone and iron out kinks; its game 1 for the trophy. Wouldn't take long for the best two teams in the district to play each other for game 1, deciding who wins the district either. Remember, schedules are done on a 2 year rotation and you would already know who your playing, just change weeks and locations. No chance for anything new every year. No, I wouldn't like anything more than an 8 team district. That gives 3 non-district games and I believe thats about right.

The Battlefield is currently 7 teams. Want to add 1, I'm good with that. Want to shuffle some .... maybe. But its been close to this set up for many years ....

I was listing an 8 team district, nothing higher. Drop Caroline, add Ponax and Louisa and either keep KG or switch them with any of the other mentioned teams. That still gives everyone a manageable 3 OOD games.

Plus Louisa is growing fast and may be 5A in a few years, same with EV/Culpeper.

Last edited:
I wouldn't like to see a change like that for two reasons.

First has nothing to do with the Varsity squads and everything to do with the JVs. Most, if not all, 5A and 6A teams have a Freshman squad, JV squad and a Varsity squad. 4A and smaller only have JV and Varsity. The larger schools JVs are mostly Sophomores and some Juniors while the smaller schools are mostly Freshman and a few Sophomores. Go see Massaponax JV play Chancellor and it looks like a Varsity squad playing a bunch of 8th graders .... and thats not far off. Thats one reason Courtland dropped the bigger schools and its been a discussion point at every 4A school I know. Way too easy to get a young player hurt and the only thing they learn from the game is big dudes are faster, stronger and hit harder. And no one wants to go see a game like that.

The second is the size of the district. With more than 10 teams in a district there are no non-district games. That means game 1 is for the district trophy. There would be no non-district games. No chance to play someone and iron out kinks; its game 1 for the trophy. Wouldn't take long for the best two teams in the district to play each other for game 1, deciding who wins the district either. Remember, schedules are done on a 2 year rotation and you would already know who your playing, just change weeks and locations. No chance for anything new every year. No, I wouldn't like anything more than an 8 team district. That gives 3 non-district games and I believe thats about right.

The Battlefield is currently 7 teams. Want to add 1, I'm good with that. Want to shuffle some .... maybe. But its been close to this set up for many years ....
You could do what the Northwestern district does

Looks like Culpeper will be trying to come back to the Battlefield since they moved up to 4A now.

in the RVA area no one even cares about districts anymore. You schedule to get as many points as you can in the regionals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT