ADVERTISEMENT

James Monroe 80, #10 Caroline 72 FINAL (OT)

James Monroe 29, Caroline 24 at halftime. David Ware of Caroline leads all scorers with 12 pts.

Caroline senior forward Jabrell Stevens is not dressed for the Cavaliers tonight due to a bout with the flu.

James Monroe wins it 80-72 in overtime. Jackets are now 11-3, 3-1, while Caroline drops to 11-2, 4-1.

Cavaliers were led by David Ware, who poured in 37 points and grabbed 20 rebounds before fouling out with 1:17 remaining in OT.

Michael Gray led JM with 34 points.

Caroline is at Eastern View on Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
What’s the deal with shots fired at the game? I read the game had to be stopped and a gun was discharged? Care to clear anything up from the newspaper?

I hadn’t heard that a gun was actually discharged. If so, that occurred outside the building after several of those involved-including the gentleman the paper said was arrested-ran outside.

I was sitting on the opposite side of the gym when the brawl broke out. Brawl is a good description, because there were so many involved. Obviously not sure what or who caused it specifically, but it just erupted near the middle of the bleachers and there were people involved in the fighting who were falling down the bleachers onto innocent bystanders. Coaches were making sure players stayed on the court, though I didn’t see anybody from either team actually try and leave the floor to get involved in the chaos. There were, however, students and adults that were sitting on my side of the gym (I was on the side behind the team benches) who left the bleachers to run into the chaos.

There were multiple police officers there, and they were on top of the situation as quickly and as capably as they could be. As they attempted to restore order, I saw several people emerge from the crowd and literally run out of the gym. Right after that, I saw one of the officers restrain a young black male and remove him from the gym, though he didn’t look like the gentleman pictured in the paper.

The PA announcer asked everybody to return to their seats at this point. After many did not, he made the request again. When that still did not work, the gym was evacuated and pretty much locked down for 15-20 mins. Players and coaches were sent to the locker room at that point.

I thought JM’s administration and the authorities who were on hand handled things as well as they could. I do, however, laugh at the assertion by the JM principal in the newspaper article that no JM fans or students were involved. That’s dangerously naive. Aside from obviously witnessing JM fans around me run into the melee after it erupted, the fact is there were SO MANY people involved in that thing that there’s plenty of responsibility to go around.

Really is a terrible shame because it was a fantastic game between two really good basketball teams. Caroline’s Ware could’ve virtually iced it when he was at the line with 7.2 seconds remaining in regulation and a 64-63 Cavaliers lead. He missed the first and made the second, leaving the door open for JM’s Gray to tie it at 65 with one second left.

The Battlefield really should be fun down the stretch with these two teams, Eastern View and Courtland. I feel like any of them could win the league and make some noise come regionals.

Reactions: OCBoy
Really is a terrible shame because it was a fantastic game between two really good basketball teams. Caroline’s Ware could’ve virtually iced it when he was at the line with 7.2 seconds remaining in regulation and a 64-63 Cavaliers lead. He missed the first and made the second, leaving the door open for JM’s Gray to tie it at 65 with one second left.

The Battlefield really should be fun down the stretch with these two teams, Eastern View and Courtland. I feel like any of them could win the league and make some noise come regionals.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Reactions: CarolineCav99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT