ADVERTISEMENT

James River and Dogwood Districts?

trueblue102

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 29, 2010
Anyone have any insight on James River and Dogwood boys basketball for the upcoming season?

In the dogwood, Appomattox boys basketball going to have a strong team this year. They didnt lose any starters, Seniors that left were not starters. Majority of them play on same travel ball team. Problem is that the entire 1st string will be Srs and probably going to be a problem next year. Dan River should be good as well. They always bring height that gives most teams problems, surprised they didnt win state last year.

RH or Cumberland will win the JR district this season. Guarantee it. Great nucleus returning and sophomore sensation Tremaine Pugh is more mature and will play at a high level. Sharp shooter Sam Williams won't disappear during games this season, and will stay healthy. Rebounding will not be a problem. Can't wait to see them win...they return some valuable pieces.

RH or Cumberland will win the JR district this season. Guarantee it. Great nucleus returning and sophomore sensation Tremaine Pugh is more mature and will play at a high level. Sharp shooter Sam Williams won't disappear during games this season, and will stay healthy. Rebounding will not be a problem. Can't wait to see them win...they return some valuable pieces.
R.H. always brings a strong team to the court. they was solid last year.

Reactions: deuce2hublue
They will be somewhat inexperienced, though they do have Pugh and Williams back. Backcourt might be an issue and one of their big men transferred, though he would have been ineligible because of grades anyway. Shuford, who would have provided some experience at guard, transferred to Amherst. Williams is coming off shoulder surgery as well, so it will be interesting how quickly he gets back to form. Also, new coach and new system may lead to an adjustment period. Looks like the football team may make the playoffs which could hold a few players out. Not sure I would go as far as saying they are one of the favorites at this point, but they should be a factor in the district. No one has mentioned Prince Edward, who generally is always in the hunt. What will Goochland and Buckingham be like this year?

They will be somewhat inexperienced, though they do have Pugh and Williams back. Backcourt might be an issue and one of their big men transferred, though he would have been ineligible because of grades anyway. Shuford, who would have provided some experience at guard, transferred to Amherst. Williams is coming off shoulder surgery as well, so it will be interesting how quickly he gets back to form. Also, new coach and new system may lead to an adjustment period. Looks like the football team may make the playoffs which could hold a few players out. Not sure I would go as far as saying they are one of the favorites at this point, but they should be a factor in the district. No one has mentioned Prince Edward, who generally is always in the hunt. What will Goochland and Buckingham be like this year?
Oh okay, i think bucktown will be stronger this yr. I dont see them making a run though. I may be wrong. They got players on football team too. So it will be struggle at 1st part of season. Same for appomattox. Dont know about goochland. P.E. always beings it yearly.

Buckingham looks like they will have almost everyone back. Ragland and the Gough kids are a good trio...though not much else. Upset RH from getting to conference championship last season. Sophomore guard Nashiem Pettus will excite some for RH, and junior Daquan Wilson is a budding problem for opponents. Good bench too.

Cumberland has guys returning, and a returnee from Fuqua to help. Coach will have them ready. They play uptempo and have defensive tenacity. After losing 2 1000pt scorers...PE has a lot to replace.

Buckingham looks like they will have almost everyone back. Ragland and the Gough kids are a good trio...though not much else. Upset RH from getting to conference championship last season. Sophomore guard Nashiem Pettus will excite some for RH, and junior Daquan Wilson is a budding problem for opponents. Good bench too.
I think Ragland's brother is playing bball this year. He couldnt play football due to some discipline issues (I heard it from some people i know down that way). Bucktown usually has a pretty strong team. Im not boasting, but you heard it first from me. Appo will be a problem in basketball this year.

What about the Dogwood besides Appomattox? Will the coaching be solid? I've seen some of Gretna...they'll be young, but they might have a real contender in a year or two.

What about the Dogwood besides Appomattox? Will the coaching be solid? I've seen some of Gretna...they'll be young, but they might have a real contender in a year or two.
What about Amelia? They seemed to have some good athletes on their football team. Since you think Cumberland will be at the top, are none of their basketball guys playing football because the Dukes are struggling miserably on the gridiron.

I wouldn't doubt they aren't playing football. Small schools suffer when their football teams aren't successful. Kids aren't going to play. On another note...I saw a Russell Gowin win a seat on the school board. This the same Russell Gowin that coaches the basketball team?

I wouldn't doubt they aren't playing football. Small schools suffer when their football teams aren't successful. Kids aren't going to play. On another note...I saw a Russell Gowin win a seat on the school board. This the same Russell Gowin that coaches the basketball team?
His dad won re-election for a 3rd term.

Didn't see the statesmen 1st scrimmage but they looked average at best against Fuqua this week. They had all kinds of trouble with the Falcon's big man. Offensively, they relied exclusively on the 3 pt. shot which didn't seem to be falling for them.

Appomattox will be rusty if they keep on winning in football. The whole basketball team plays football (Well the key players).

Excited for the season to start, but I can wait.

Chatham played a home benefit game last night against Martinsville. The Cavs may have a long season ahead of them.

Didn't see the statesmen 1st scrimmage but they looked average at best against Fuqua this week. They had all kinds of trouble with the Falcon's big man. Offensively, they relied exclusively on the 3 pt. shot which didn't seem to be falling for them.

Sheesh. I hadn't seen them play, though I talk to the players past and present daily. I'll wait on them to hit their stride.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT