ADVERTISEMENT

Jamestown forfeits to Lafayette this Friday. Time for District to reorganize for football??

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
With this forfeit and Jamestown fielding 18 able players with the issues at Bruton and Grafton at the critical stage maybe now is the time to reorganize the Bay Rivers District for football. Poquoson is a small class 2 school and overall numbers are down at others. Twice Lafayette has scored over 80 points, an event that should not happen. No serious program needs nearly a third of its opponents to be so struggling to play. Maybe the Bay Rivers and Peninsula districts should merge and split into two divisions.

I think we need to get rid of Districts all together.
Amen to that!! I think you should play the teams in your class in your region. We would play Norcom and Phoebus each year in the regular season until an another reclassification. If we move back to 4 ( it will happen), we should play each year Lake Taylor, Kings Fork among others.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
5B has already done it.
They schedule whomever they want in football.
They don't even have district basketball tournaments anymore.

Last edited:
Districts are a big assist with scheduling across the entire athletics spectrum. We are all guilty of looking at the situation with "football colored glasses". (Me too!). I've been of the opinion for a number of years that district scheduling for football needs to be liberalized.

For the most part, the other sports are not as vulnerable to the disparity that we typically see between class levels in football. District play in other athletics are not typically dominated buy the larger schools in a district.

Most AD's, I do not believe, want to see the demise of districts. The wholesale dissolving of districts would instantly create a scheduling nightmare of monumental proportions.

I think what would produce the best overall result would be a hybrid district play requirement that allowed schools to opt out of district competition in football, without suffering any consequences. But maintain the longstanding history of competition with surrounding area schools in other sports and activities.

I would think getting rid of the district play in the 757 and allow teams to make their own schedule and/or schedule majority of the on your schedule be of your class so teams can actually have better chances with ratings. Since most districts in the 757 are highly uneven with teams all over the place in classes.

Just do what the RVA capital district does. Districts exist as a scheduling default, but you can receive a waiver for games both teams want out of.

AD's in smaller areas would hate no districts because of scheduling nightmare. I agree personally no districts but imagine an AD trying to fill a schedule for sports other than football. If the VHSL would go back to the old way this would solve the water down effect.

There should be football districts strictly done by classification. All other sports keep the current districts.

Reactions: falcettik
There should be football districts strictly done by classification. All other sports keep the current districts.

I mean those are just called regions. They’re just slightly larger than districts used to be.

Reactions: falcettik
100% correct. Districts are a dinosaur and mean nothing anymore.
I'm a bit confused about Districts in the VHSL system.... Currently they mean absolutely NOTHING! Of course, I am a Highland Springs fan ... in Class 5.. As for Highland Springs, The Capital District has 7 teams. Highland Springs only plays 3 of them!! 4 District team we no longer play because they are no longer competitive and a detriment to our VHSL Power Rating Scale... Districts should have been abolished when they changed the format for the A AA AAA format that used to be. All of the schools now exist in Conference and still exist in what is basically imaginary Distrcts!

Reactions: CHUKNOW
Its easier for the higher class teams to be able to play out of district games because of the population areas they reside in, and being able to find teams close enough that don't find it as a detriment to play them. But smaller less populous areas have a long distance to even play district games.

How does anyone expect a team who is usually not good to fill out a schedule when they wouldn't provide points AND are out in the middle of nowhere?

I agree. That’s why waivers work best & both schools have to agree. I also like the rule where district teams are required to play if they are more than 2 classes different. Common sense rule.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I'm a bit confused about Districts in the VHSL system.... Currently they mean absolutely NOTHING! Of course, I am a Highland Springs fan ... in Class 5.. As for Highland Springs, The Capital District has 7 teams. Highland Springs only plays 3 of them!! 4 District team we no longer play because they are no longer competitive and a detriment to our VHSL Power Rating Scale... Districts should have been abolished when they changed the format for the A AA AAA format that used to be. All of the schools now exist in Conference and still exist in what is basically imaginary Distrcts!
I am also confused that when VHSL went to the new region basis and eliminated playoff positions for District winners that for at least football the entire schedule was not changed to Region play on the regular season also. At this point for Lafayette winning the District means little to nothing and just like Highland Springs several teams simply kill their power point totals that mean everything these days.

you are just a football fan - The AD at Highland Springs also has to schedule all the other sports there and that is when he uses the district. There ARE other sports. :p

Is the AD at HSHS new? If it’s the same guy from a few years ago (16-17), I doubt he’s doing much of anything except soaking up a paycheck. Talk about a do-nothing!

you are just a football fan - The AD at Highland Springs also has to schedule all the other sports there and that is when he uses the district. There ARE other sports. :p
It appears to be a misconception in Virginia that districts need to be applied to all sports. There is no reason that Football districts cannot be different from the other sports. Due to the number of players, level of play football is not the same as other sports.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
I think I'm in the minority considering how often this happens across professional, college, and high school level athletics but I really don't like having a post-season where you just have a tournament of the teams you played during the regular season.

Reactions: mike salem
Is the AD at HSHS new? If it’s the same guy from a few years ago (16-17), I doubt he’s doing much of anything except soaking up a paycheck. Talk about a do-nothing!
No the AD at HSHS is in his 2nd year (Rick Lilly) He came from John Handley HS and is pretty well known and active around the state.

No the AD at HSHS is in his 2nd year (Rick Lilly) He came from John Handley HS and is pretty well known and active around the state.

Good for HS. I have strong words for how bad that previous guy was (former VUU or VSU FB Coach?).

Yup. I’ve unfortunately been around a couple people like that in my career. I call them sponges because they just soak up that paycheck and ignore their responsibilities.

It's unfortunate that people discount the importance of Districts. It is like Ken Tilley's master debacle worked in their eyes.

People talk about giving kids a chance to play for titles. Great. Make district play mean something and have district championships and there is the chance right there. Would you rather have them matter or have a 1-9 team get blasted 72-6 in the first round of an enlarged regional tournament just for the sake of saying that they made it there?

Ken Tilley screwed up the VHSL in a money grab due to his fetish for this conference experiment which was a huge failure and the academic folks tried to sell (and apparently succeeded) the victimhood and travel situations of some schools.

And why allow waivers for teams to bypass district games due to schools being in difference divisions when there was clearly no problem with 1's and 2's being in the same districts, 3's and 4's being in the same districts, and 5's and 6's being in the same districts for decades.

I mean those are just called regions. They’re just slightly larger than districts used to be.

Break the regions into districts/conferences and award playoff positions for winning the district/conference. Creates rivalries and hopefuls adds some intrigue while still allowing guaranteed scheduled games.

I think the Battlefield District schools and fans would agree that districts are a good thing. Everyone plays everyone and it works out well for us. EV has been the best in football for a few years now. The gap may be closing a little but it's still noticable. The second place team in the district is James Monroe - the only class3 team in the district. EV is the only team in the district that has beaten them so far. Their other two losses were to a class 5 team and a class 6 team. So at least in our district, the smaller team can complete with the larger schools. I think the Commonwealth District folks would say "keep districts" as well. Their district is all Stafford county and Spotsylvania county schools. Have a good one!

a question for you numbers guys:
does a forfeit count the same as a win?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT