ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Forest vs LCA!!

For anybody that has seen JF this year, what are they doing and who are their best players on O & D?

For anybody that has seen JF this year, what are they doing and who are their best players on O & D?
Their QB is definitely their leader on they run their offense through him but I am not sure who their best individual player is because they don't have the big name recruits like LCA does. They are 9-0 because they are well coached, solid in all three phases of the game, and they run the ball well and stop the run well.

I would be surprised if this was the case. JF is solid on defense and LCA has been better in the 2nd half than the 1st half this year.
Agree. I see more like a 10-14 point win for LCA, but also wouldn't be shocked if this came down to a score in the 4th qtr, similar to the Salem game. Is this being live streamed anywhere or on the radio?

Reactions: VolNation85
Agree. I see more like a 10-14 point win for LCA, but also wouldn't be shocked if this came down to a score in the 4th qtr, similar to the Salem game. Is this being live streamed anywhere or on the radio?
There is a thread on the 3A board with links for both.

Reactions: RKE Fan
It should be a good game. Still have LCA pulling it out but you never know

JF will really challenge Salems interior line play if they both get to regional final. Maybe Salems Achilles heel.

That’s been the case for all of their games this season except for Salem. LCA gets better as the game goes on.
True but in the state games, LCA will have to play 4 quarters to win. Their competition will get tougher in the states

They'll coast to state. 3C is a foregone conclusion but 3D will be extremely interesting, very similar to 4B. Byrd, Cburg, LB, or MV could come out of there. I know the lean for many will be to give the nod to MV but I'd exercise caution as the Piedmont is very down this year and their best win is probably over a good not great C2 Gretna squad by one point. Cburg, LB, and Byrd have played much better schedules and are all much more battle tested. Byrd's only loss is by 4 points to Cburg, LB lost by 7 to Glass and were shutout 16-0 by Byrd and Cburg had a close loss to PH, lost on a last second FG to Riverheads and was only ever manhandled once and that was by Salem. Absolutely any of those four could come out of 3D.

Of course, LCA is about 20-25 points better than any of those four so it's a bit of a moot point.

Playoffs in general should be good this season. Last season was absurd, you could pick all six title winners in October but the only team standing head and shoulders above the rest of their class this year is, I'd argue, LCA. The other five classes you'd probably want to take the field, C3 is the only one I feel pretty confident in predicting.

They'll coast to state. 3C is a foregone conclusion but 3D will be extremely interesting, very similar to 4B. Byrd, Cburg, LB, or MV could come out of there. I know the lean for many will be to give the nod to MV but I'd exercise caution as the Piedmont is very down this year and their best win is probably over a good not great C2 Gretna squad by one point. Cburg, LB, and Byrd have played much better schedules and are all much more battle tested. Byrd's only loss is by 4 points to Cburg, LB lost by 7 to Glass and were shutout 16-0 by Byrd and Cburg had a close loss to PH, lost on a last second FG to Riverheads and was only ever manhandled once and that was by Salem. Absolutely any of those four could come out of 3D.

Of course, LCA is about 20-25 points better than any of those four so it's a bit of a moot point.

Playoffs in general should be good this season. Last season was absurd, you could pick all six title winners in October but the only team standing head and shoulders above the rest of their class this year is, I'd argue, LCA. The other five classes you'd probably want to take the field, C3 is the only one I feel pretty confident in predicting.
Isn’t Hopewell D3?

Isn’t Hopewell D3?

It's confusing nomenclature.

- If the letter is before the number, it should only ever refer to class (the six divisions of VA football) and thus should only use "C" i.e. C1-C6.

- If the letter follows the number, it means the region and thus could be A, B, C, or D. 3D in this case means Region D of Class 3.

Hopewell plays in 3A.

At some point in the recent past, the VHSL moved from calling them divisions to classes (I think they also use "Groups" now) so it can get extra confusing, especially for fans who've been around for awhile. Like, I know Salem in the past was the D4 state champs (of Region 4D no less, so that gets even more ridiculous). I normally try not to mix the two into my posts much except when referring to an overall picture (like where Gretna plays or talking about who'll win state in a given class) because it gets confusing.

Reactions: salem10times

I think Freedom (Woodbridge) in Class 6 is still head and shoulders above the rest of their class. Even with Highland Springs moving up this year.

Reactions: CavsGrad and OCBoy
Christiansburg quarterback still out? I remember they had one key injury, maybe against Salem? I think it was their QB. They scrimmaged LCA to start the year, and I thought with their line then maybe they'd be able to hang with them, but nevermind that if Evans is out.

Christiansburg quarterback still out? I remember they had one key injury, maybe against Salem? I think it was their QB. They scrimmaged LCA to start the year, and I thought with their line then maybe they'd be able to hang with them, but nevermind that if Evans is out.

He's gone for the season but the backup is solid and performs about the same role for them. Nothing about Evans being in or out would have changed the outcome or the margin of that Salem game.

I can't argue with that. I hope we get a Freedom-HSHS state championship game.
I'm hoping not because I want to laugh at the VHSL's continued ineptitude for their unjustifiable actions of changing the bracket in-season just to appease a handful of people.

If the bracket is going to change, then start at the beginning of the each four year cycle and rotate through the various pairings for every class...not just one of them.

I'm hoping not because I want to laugh at the VHSL's continued ineptitude for their unjustifiable actions of changing the bracket in-season just to appease a handful of people.

If the bracket is going to change, then start at the beginning of the each four year cycle and rotate through the various pairings for every class...not just one of them.
How did they change it?

I saw at least 4 Salem fans at this game.

I knew a few who were going just because there was absolutely nothing in the area last weekend. Most good teams were on the road. I went to the Byrd/NS game just because I wasn't interested in driving to JF/LCA and despite what it seemed like it'd be, it was actually a pretty good game for most of it (Byrd only led 14-10 at half) and I got to see a bit of a brawl as Byrd unloaded a late hit and a chippy game (mainly from NS) got "punchy".

I will say, I have no idea how Byrd ended up 9-1 nor how LB got blanked by them. They're a solid team for sure but there's just nothing to them, it's bizarre.

I knew a few who were going just because there was absolutely nothing in the area last weekend. Most good teams were on the road. I went to the Byrd/NS game just because I wasn't interested in driving to JF/LCA and despite what it seemed like it'd be, it was actually a pretty good game for most of it (Byrd only led 14-10 at half) and I got to see a bit of a brawl as Byrd unloaded a late hit and a chippy game (mainly from NS) got "punchy".

I will say, I have no idea how Byrd ended up 9-1 nor how LB got blanked by them. They're a solid team for sure but there's just nothing to them, it's bizarre.
LB had a lot of starters out that night from what I was told

They voted mid season to switch the D6 semifinal matchups. It’s A vs B & C vs D in every Division except D6. It’s been changed to A vs C and B vs D.
If they do not get the HSHS vs. Freedom matchup they desire will they vote to switch back in future years? I am not sure the best way to do semi seedings and matchups to give the best probability that the likely 2 best teams ultimately end up in the finals as opposed to the finals kind of being anticlimactic after semis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT