ADVERTISEMENT

JF Head Coach

Haha are you serious coach
Haha yes I'm serious coach. It depends on what your preference is. Don't get me wrong, the JF weightroom is by far the nicest in the area but Handley looks good as well.

Have you been to either Bealeton or handley and witnessed the wr in person? Again, Regardless of what It looks like, what type of work is gettin done? Weightroom looks don’t mean squat. What’s your production? Obviously not enough at JF even with the guru at the helm. I have seen all three weight rooms. Again you are the expert as uppity folk normally seem to think are. So I succumb oh wise one. Have you ever see the sun set while sittin atop the Himalayan mountains, nope but you can google a pic of it though. So your smart, keep playin the wise one. You’re a joke.
I have seen the sunrise and sunset sittin atop the Himalayan Mountains. :D

Haha yes I'm serious coach. It depends on what your preference is. Don't get me wrong, the JF weightroom is by far the nicest in the area but Handley looks good as well.
Oh for sure, looks nice on the H.S. level but I don’t think I would equate them by any means.
(Also I’m not a coach by any stretch, just follow the program)

I have to say I agree with Renaissance man here on a lot of points. The fancy new weight room at JF has produced a 15-18 record and one playoff win over the last three post-Navy Jones years. Don Rice had a 19-15 record and two playoff wins at JF in his last three years with the old weight room.

For what it's worth, Cecil Phillips had a 22-13 record with two playoff wins in his last three years at Amherst County. The fancy weight room and turf fields don't matter nearly as much as the players and work that you put into it.

I have to say I agree with Renaissance man here on a lot of points. The fancy new weight room at JF has produced a 15-18 record and one playoff win over the last three post-Navy Jones years. Don Rice had a 19-15 record and two playoff wins at JF in his last three years with the old weight room.

For what it's worth, Cecil Phillips had a 22-13 record with two playoff wins in his last three years at Amherst County. The fancy weight room and turf fields don't matter nearly as much as the players and work that you put into it.

Nice selective math... Take out the back to back 12-1 seasons (yes, the weight room was there...) Not to take away anything about Navy Jones but there were a ton of great athletes those 2 years which benefitted from that weight room as well...

Not necessarily selective math, just saying Navy Jones was a HUGE part of the success during those first two Christmas seasons. He was the difference maker on those teams not the weight room expansion, locker room improvements, or turf field. I am simply saying that JF went back to being much like pre-Navy Jones JF when he graduated.

Not necessarily selective math, just saying Navy Jones was a HUGE part of the success during those first two Christmas seasons. He was the difference maker on those teams not the weight room expansion, locker room improvements, or turf field. I am simply saying that JF went back to being much like pre-Navy Jones JF when he graduated.

Take away 1 season (2017 riddled with season ending injuries) and it's still a very respectable record. Take away Navy Jones completely and they are still 10+ win teams those years. There was DEEP talent on those teams.

So when one kid was scoring 5 or 6 touchdowns a night and made teams change their kicking schemes entirely because you could not kick the ball to him anywhere on the field...was only worth 1-2 wins a season? He made the entire team different. Changed their ceiling entirely.

Yeah you’re line of logic here is spotty at best. No one tried to compare Rice with Christmas but since you brought it up, Christmas’ win record is better than that of Rice. Period. This includes two back to back undefeated regular seasons and two Seminole district championships. And your Navy Jones comment is pretty silly. Not just because there were several other key contributors(Cam Miller Trent(1,000+ yards rushing), Jason Ayers(close to 1,000 yards passing), etc), but it would be just as stupid for someone to say, “hey you shouldn't count Bradley's wins when La La Davis was tearing it up, or Woody's wins when Dresean was at the helm.”

Take away 1 season (2017 riddled with season ending injuries) and it's still a very respectable record. Take away Navy Jones completely and they are still 10+ win teams those years. There was DEEP talent on those teams.
imo, they are not a 10 win team without Navy, I was a huge Cam fan but I just don't see those teams scoring as much as they did to win games without Navy, especially with their points given up during those years.

I didn't say the wins shouldn't count. Just that the two Navy Jones years at JF have been the exception over the last 15 years or so and not the norm.

As for Heritage and Coach Bradley, they had several successful years before La La and won a state title the year after he graduated. As for Woody and Glass, he has changed the culture there. I guess time will tell if the culture change is permanent. I think it will because Woody and his staff seem to be invested fully to that.

The point I am making is: JF was a decent high school football program for a long time, had two great years, and then slipped back into the same kind of program they had been. My guess is that, along with Bedford County teacher pay, is the reason head coaches didn't apply even though JF has outstanding facilities. The dudes working in the facilities matter more than the actual facilities.

imo, they are not a 10 win team without Navy, I was a huge Cam fan but I just don't see those teams scoring as much as they did to win games without Navy, especially with their points given up during those years.

Maybe. But's it's irrelevant - he played and was a game changer in the same way LaLa and Dresean are game changers - we could try to figure how those teams would have been without them but it's pointless. The back and forth originally started because General_FB was asserting that Don Rice won more with less (facilities) than Christmas, which of course is not true - numbers don't lie.

*I was a huge Cam fan too(some games he was more exciting to watch than Navy).

I didn't say the wins shouldn't count. Just that the two Navy Jones years at JF have been the exception over the last 15 years or so and not the norm.

As for Heritage and Coach Bradley, they had several successful years before La La and won a state title the year after he graduated. As for Woody and Glass, he has changed the culture there. I guess time will tell if the culture change is permanent. I think it will because Woody and his staff seem to be invested fully to that.

The point I am making is: JF was a decent high school football program for a long time, had two great years, and then slipped back into the same kind of program they had been. My guess is that, along with Bedford County teacher pay, is the reason head coaches didn't apply even though JF has outstanding facilities. The dudes working in the facilities matter more than the actual facilities.

You are right- the other schools have had more consistent success AND the talent pool at these other schools is far superior than that of JF's. Making some of Christmas' wins that much more impressive to me. As far as talent is concerned schools like Brookville, Glass, Heritage, and GW have a far superior talent pool than JF ever has and yet Christmas managed to beat GW, Brookville(2x), Glass(2x), and Heritage(3x). In my opinion, JF's level of talent should NEVER be able to hang with these I'm mentioning.

This has derailed into a hypothetical argument amongst what seems like toddlers about a subject that didn’t even spark the initial debate. Which was people questioning why nobody with HC experience was gunning for the job even with very nice facilities because that is attractive for a HC. Because they do not have to go through the trouble to build and raise support and get people to rally to get fantastic facilities.

How many TDS did Kendrick account for against JF? So should we say glass wouldn’t have won shootout games without him? Ignorance

Reactions: VolNation85
I agree and that is the reason, according to what folks are saying here, JF didn't have any current head coaches apply for the job. Whether or not that is true, I guess we will find out.

You are right- the other schools have had more consistent success AND the talent pool at these other schools is far superior than that of JF's. Making some of Christmas' wins that much more impressive to me. As far as talent is concerned schools like Brookville, Glass, Heritage, and GW have a far superior talent pool than JF ever has and yet Christmas managed to beat GW, Brookville(2x), Glass(2x), and Heritage(3x). In my opinion, JF's level of talent should NEVER be able to hang with these I'm mentioning.
And is 1-1 vs Salem in his time at JF. Not many can say that.

My only point was: facilities (while eye catching) aren't as big a factor in attracting coaches as some thing. Most coaches want a pool of athletes they can compete and win with, competitive pay, cooperative administration, willingness to help bring in assistant coaches, etc. Facilities are important but down the line to some of those things I mentioned above. The question about JF is: are they willing to be as cooperative and accommodating for someone other thanCoach Christmas?

My only point was: facilities (while eye catching) aren't as big a factor in attracting coaches as some thing. Most coaches want a pool of athletes they can compete and win with, competitive pay, cooperative administration, willingness to help bring in assistant coaches, etc. Facilities are important but down the line to some of those things I mentioned above. The question about JF is: are they willing to be as cooperative and accommodating for someone other thanCoach Christmas?
I've seen Oscar Smith's weight room and unless they renovated it wasn't much to look at. They have a successful program though!

Reactions: Renaissance man
He was also transfered in from altavista on the fly

Maybe. But's it's irrelevant - he played and was a game changer in the same way LaLa and Dresean are game changers - we could try to figure how those teams would have been without them but it's pointless. The back and forth originally started because General_FB was asserting that Don Rice won more with less (facilities) than Christmas, which of course is not true - numbers don't lie.

*I was a huge Cam fan too(some games he was more exciting to watch than Navy).

As the general said, the last 3 season’s of rice’s career were more productive without facilities than christmas’s last 3 years who had the facilities...It is what it is, those numbers don’t lie.

That’s bs

This has derailed into a hypothetical argument amongst what seems like toddlers about a subject that didn’t even spark the initial debate. Which was people questioning why nobody with HC experience was gunning for the job even with very nice facilities because that is attractive for a HC. Because they do not have to go through the trouble to build and raise support and get people to rally to get fantastic facilities.

How many TDS did Kendrick account for against JF? So should we say glass wouldn’t have won shootout games without him? Ignorance

Yet again the uppity tone is off. No wonder why folks don’t like JF. Actually your boy JB is the uppity one. You cav at times have enlightening posts

As the general said, the last 3 season’s of rice’s career were more productive without facilities than christmas’s last 3 years who had the facilities...It is what it is, those numbers don’t lie.
So we can’t say “the last 5 seasons” it has to be “the last 3” Hahahaha. And keep in mind one of those seasons was 2-8 with 11 starters out for season on a year that was already rebuilding.

So we can’t say “the last 5 seasons” it has to be “the last 3” Hahahaha. And keep in mind one of those seasons was 2-8 with 11 starters out for season on a year that was already rebuilding.

No excuses just results. It is what it is till it ain’t. Every team experiences injuries. It’s how you deal with em. Call somebody who gives a good shiiid. Nobody wants to hear it. Maybe a better prep in the offseason in the beautiful painted up weight room with AC would prevent in those injuries. Poor little sad sack you are.

No excuses just results. It is what it is till it ain’t. Every team experiences injuries. It’s how you deal with em. Call somebody who gives a good shiiid. Nobody wants to hear it. Maybe a better prep in the offseason in the beautiful painted up weight room with AC would prevent in those injuries. Poor little sad sack you are.
Still haven’t addressed the selective data issue. Stop behaving like a child because you can hide behind a computer screen.

So you really don't see that it's silly you have to select the last three years of data to prove your point instead of viewing the tenures as a whole? Come on Renaissance man, you have good moments but this isn't one of them. Christmas won more games as a head coach at JF than Don Rice did. Period.

Christmas winning percentage at JF (this time around): 68%
Don Rice winning percentage at JF: 52%

To quote you, those numbers don't lie:)

Still haven’t addressed the selective data issue. Stop behaving like a child because you can hide behind a computer screen.

What? Hiding? You are actually the sheepish one. Is that your come back, that I’m hiding? What are you doing then? Straight facts. I’m still trying to figure out your logic. Sounds like you are just trying to get a coach to come to JF. Doesn’t matter, Amherst got your man, welcome back to the cellar.

So you really don't see that it's silly you have to select the last three years of data to prove your point instead of viewing the tenures as a whole? Come on Renaissance man, you have good moments but this isn't one of them. Christmas won more games as a head coach at JF than Don Rice did. Period.

Christmas winning percentage at JF (this time around): 68%
Don Rice winning percentage at JF: 52%

To quote you, those numbers don't lie:)

True, but so are the generals statements about the past three. I’m backing him up. The great poet Janet Jackson has a quote, “what have you done for me lately, without navy”

True, but so are the generals statements about the past three. I’m backing him up. The great poet Janet Jackson has a quote, “what have you done for me lately, without navy”

1. What have you done for me lately, without navy? Beat some quality teams like GW Danville and Salem.

2. You've gotta get over this whole Navy thing. Elijah Davis and Dresean Kendrick are absolutely as dynamic of players as Navy was and you don't see anyone on here crying about what Heritage or Glass might have been without them. Navy transferred because he wanted to play for Christmas JUST LIKE Ty Foster transferred to Glass because he wanted to play for Woody, but again do you see anyone on here blabbering on about that?

Sidenote: Your aggression(name calling and such) and open hostility towards anything JF/Christmas isn't doing you any favors..... Not exactly coming off as a credible voice to the conversation.

The reason I used the last three non-Navy seasons was to illustrate the fact that JF, over the last 15 or so years, has been a .500 program with or without facility upgrades. Those two years are not the norm. I think most current head coaches probably looked at that kind of information along with the questions about whether the JF admin and community will support another coach like they have Christmas. That is the reason there haven't been more head coaches apply in my opinion...even with all those wonderful facilities.

The reason I used the last three non-Navy seasons was to illustrate the fact that JF, over the last 15 or so years, has been a .500 program with or without facility upgrades. Those two years are not the norm. I think most current head coaches probably looked at that kind of information along with the questions about whether the JF admin and community will support another coach like they have Christmas. That is the reason there haven't been more head coaches apply in my opinion...even with all those wonderful facilities.
Amen

Just curious why you say other teams have a much larger talent pool. JF is one of the bigger 4a schools. @CVAfootballfan

Good question

So I live in Lynchburg and work for Lynchburg City Schools(I love it and would never work for another district), and with that, rub shoulders from time to time with folks at Heritage and Glass and they are actually the ones who pointed this out to me. It might be a big school but that doesn't speak to the quality of the pool. Best example would be team speed. Occasionally JF can put a couple speedsters out on the field but it's always only a couple and when and if those go down, that's it. Which brings up the next point of depth. When someone goes down(whether injured or just gassed) at Heritage or Glass they're usually getting replaced by someone with comparable speed and ability which is seldom the case at JF again due to a pretty shallow pool in terms of raw ability. This is of course not to downplay what Woody and Bradley have done with their talent by any means. They're both excellent coaches.

Good question

So I live in Lynchburg and work for Lynchburg City Schools(I love it and would never work for another district), and with that, rub shoulders from time to time with folks at Heritage and Glass and they are actually the ones who pointed this out to me. It might be a big school but that doesn't speak to the quality of the pool. Best example would be team speed. Occasionally JF can put a couple speedsters out on the field but it's always only a couple and when and if those go down, that's it. Which brings up the next point of depth. When someone goes down(whether injured or just gassed) at Heritage or Glass they're usually getting replaced by someone with comparable speed and ability which is seldom the case at JF again due to a pretty shallow pool in terms of raw ability. This is of course not to downplay what Woody and Bradley have done with their talent by any means. They're both excellent coaches.
Ha ha!! Kids are faster if they are born in a particular school district and better athletes. Most babies are born at va Baptist. I wonder how the stark knows their school zone.

What? Hiding? You are actually the sheepish one. Is that your come back, that I’m hiding? What are you doing then? Straight facts. I’m still trying to figure out your logic. Sounds like you are just trying to get a coach to come to JF. Doesn’t matter, Amherst got your man, welcome back to the cellar.
Sheepish!? Who you calling sheepish!?

Ha ha!! Kids are faster if they are born in a particular school district and better athletes. Most babies are born at va Baptist. I wonder how the stark knows their school zone.
Don’t play dumb. You know talent pools are different in different areas due to a number of reasons. At least I hope it’s “playing” dumb.

Don’t play dumb. You know talent pools are different in different areas due to a number of reasons. At least I hope it’s “playing” dumb.
No I honestly don’t know that, but some how you have observed the talent level of every school in the area. I think that there is a perception that some schools have more talent and one year a particular school may have more talent. I think a good coach maximizes talent and puts kids in a position to display the talent.

Based on your logic, the only reason Stanton River has never won a state championship is because they just haven’t got the right coach in there yet.

And I’m not sure what I said that was so funny but in the meantime, you should ask woody or Bradley if they think JF’s talent pool is as good as that of Glass or Heritage. And since I’ve had this very conversation with one of them I’ll be anxious for you to report back as to what they said:)

Based on your logic, the only reason Stanton River has never won a state championship is because they just haven’t got the right coach in there yet.

And I’m not sure what I said that was so funny but in the meantime, you should ask woody or Bradley if they think JF’s talent pool is as good as that of Glass or Heritage. And since I’ve had this very conversation with one of them I’ll be anxious for you to report back as to what they said:)
Maybe your right, every time jf wins it’s because they play smarter and more disciplined. And every time glass or heritage wins is because they have better athletes. I am sure if Christmas had the talent of heritage or glass he would win states every year.

Navy Jones was one of the BEST high school football players I have ever seen. The QB and the FB on that team were good but, Navy Jones was on a different level. The QB at Glass look like he is cut from the same cloth. A faster Trace McSorley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT