ADVERTISEMENT

Job Changes and Openings in 1A/2A (List)

What can you guys tell me about the job and community? How is the parent/admin support? I saw that they went 1-20 this year. Is the talent that bad or is their any promise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. With them being 1A could the right person make a decent run there.

I'm not as familiar with the boys program as I am the girl's program or the football program, but they have tended to be near the "basement" for boys basketball, even when they had some talent. I seem to remember them having a female head coach at one point, and thats not something you see very often for boys hoops. They have had some great girls teams over the years. They had a group that swept the regular season games against the State Champion Buffalo Gap team. The football team has been in the "basement" probably since Richard Long graduated in 07. I feel like the football and basketball jobs are going to be tough, being that the losing culture has set in and is difficult to break. Maybe there is a guy like Derek McDaniel (rebuilt Wilson football, doing the same at Waynesboro now) in that area who is know for and takes pride in rebuilding athletic programs who would be interested in the jobs.

They are keeping things pretty hush right now, there are a few coaches around the Lynchburg/Campbell Co. area that I would consider front runners but I just can't mention any names. It's not really that hard to figure out. I also wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in house with Assistant Coach for the last several years in Chad Ward(pure speculation). A popular name that has always come up in the past when Coach C talked about leaving is former Chatham & Liberty head coach Jeff Monroe. We'll see, I'd be very surprised if they dragged this coaching search out.

No clue. But I for one was not surprised by his departure at all. It was only a matter of time before he finally hung it up in A-town

LATEST UPDATE

Altavista (1A) - Mike Cartolaro resigned to become administrator at Parry McCluer

Luray (1A) - Jim Sanders resigned

Stonewall Jackson - Quicksburg (1A) - Patrick Smoot resigned to take assistant football job at Gallaudet

Randolph-Henry (2A)

Looks like the Colonels have decided to take their time on finding a replacement, probably a good idea.

LATEST UPDATE

Altavista (1A) - Mike Cartolaro resigned to become administrator at Parry McCluer

Stonewall Jackson - Quicksburg (1A) - Patrick Smoot resigned to take assistant football job at Gallaudet

Randolph-Henry (2A)

RH did not open the job up, assistant coach was not promoted, former coach Jay Graves will take over. Last coached in 2007 I do believe.

David Fowler has been named as the new head coach at Stonewall Jackson.

Jim Sanders did not resign from Luray.

Wilson Memorial (2A)

Richlands (2A)

FILLED - Stonewall Jackson - Quicksburg (1A) - David Fowler fills open job; Patrick Smoot resigned to take assistant football job at Gallaudet

FILLED - Randolph-Henry (2A) - Jay Graves takes over job (was formerly a coach at R-H)

Fowler has been an AAU coach the past few years I believe. Associated with "Strong Quality" AAU program if I remember correctly.

David Fowler runs Your Future basketball based in Front Royal.

Sanders was not offered the coaching position by administration according the local paper

Seems like a random hire for Stonewall...although I'm sure there probably were not a lot of applicants (if any) either.

Buffalo Gap (2A) - Patrick Weller took position at Turner Ashby HS

Wilson Memorial (2A) - Rodney Cullen resigned

Richlands (2A)

FILLED - Stonewall Jackson - Quicksburg (1A) - David Fowler fills open job

FILLED - Randolph-Henry (2A) - Jay Graves takes over job (was formerly a coach at R-H)

Tyler Cassett has been named as the boys basketball coach at Luray. Spent last year as an assistant at Ancilla College in Indiana

UPDATED (May 29, 2015)

Richlands (2A)

FILLED - Luray (1A) - Tyler Cassett

UPDATED (May 29, 2015)

Richlands (2A)

Amelia County (2A)

Richlands (2A)

Amelia County (2A)

FILLED - Altavista (1A) - Troy Harris (promoted from JV coach)

FILLED - Randolph-Henry (2A) - Jay Graves (was formerly a coach at R-H)

FILLED - Buffalo Gap (2A) - Chad Ward (former assistant at Altavista)

Didn't realize they have so many returning starters. Also, one football player probably leaving as well.
Trae Shuford, who most likely would have been the starting point guard, left for Amherst. Other three starters, 80% chance RH will lose two out of three.

Trae Shuford, who most likely would have been the starting point guard, left for Amherst. Other three starters, 80% chance RH will lose two out of three.
So they lost only 2 starters to graduation this past year? Didn't they have 6 Seniors last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT