ADVERTISEMENT

John Marshall vs Sierra Canyon (CA) updates

JM big man Wheeler picked up his 4th foul early in the 3rd and SC has turned it on. Up 38-26 in the 3rd still

SC with the 66-55 victory. A bad 3rd quarter was the difference, as the Justices outscored them in the other 3 quarters. Next weekend JM travels to Georgia for a tournament and their 1st round opponent is the #20 ranked team in the country. With their schedule and talent, I still see no 2A team coming close to them this year.

Reactions: Va434
How does JM come up with such outstanding talent year in year out?

Can anyone in 2A compete with this? Just hand them the title.
They won't even play a 2A school until the postseason. I'm pretty sure no other team in 2A is playing against and competing with Top 25 teams in the country. The regular season is so tough for them that the 2A playoffs will seem like a step down. If they stay healthy, I see no team in 2A coming close to them. It's one thing to have to deal with 2 guards that are getting Division 1 offers, but they also have a 6'10 center who is ranked #60 in the class of 2021.

Reactions: GMan_Fan
I understand all that but...I’ll still take the field. But there is a reason I don’t gamble.
Lol. I don't gamble either and normally I wouldn't ever say any team is a lock to win a championship, but this isn't your ordinary 2A school.

Reactions: MCAthletics
I’ll take the field, and you can have JM.
They might win it all this year but there are some talented 2A programs....and some darn good coaches. Too good to just hand a title over.

who else in 2A can compete with a school with lebron james and dwyane wade's kids, boston, a 7'3 center, etc. I can't imagine my school (graham) even trying to play that team. we might be a little down this year but we were state finalists last two years.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
who else in 2A can compete with a school with lebron james and dwyane wade's kids, boston, a 7'3 center, etc. I can't imagine my school (graham) even trying to play that team. we might be a little down this year but we were state finalists last two years.
I guess we will find out in the post season if there are any...:)

I just remember when Brunswick dropped to 2A. Many posted that everyone else was playing for second for the foreseeable future. Didn’t happen.

Then RE Lee dropped down and same things were said.

Both of these schools have had some success but have not been the juggernauts that were predicted.

Maybe JM will be the exception.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I'll take JM. Unless some crazy things happen I just can't see them losing.

MC I respect your opinion but who in 2A has enough talent to even compete with JM? I just cant see any 2A school being able to hang with them. 2A state playoffs will be very boring this year.

Reactions: MCAthletics
They won't even play a 2A school until the postseason.

Martinsville has pretty much done this for years because of the district they're in. They either play 0 2A schools or you may see 1 or 2 on occasion out of the 22 games. That changes a bit this season and going forward as Patrick Co. has dropped down to 2A.

That being said, no one at the 2A level is competing with JM and their multiple D1 recruits, including a 6'10 center. I guess we will all have to just get better....and/or recruit a little harder.

Reactions: aw19752
Paul VI plays Sierra canyon next month they’ll beat them watch and see, they have a deep bench and atleast 6 d1 players on team two holds offers from duke and some from a few sec and acc schools, Saint Anns belfield is another prep school to watch out for in va thats tough with 2 d1 players Malachi Poindexter and Justin Taylor

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Martinsville has pretty much done this for years because of the district they're in. They either play 0 2A schools or you may see 1 or 2 on occasion out of the 22 games. That changes a bit this season and going forward as Patrick Co. has dropped down to 2A.

That being said, no one at the 2A level is competing with JM and their multiple D1 recruits, including a 6'10 center. I guess we will all have to just get better....and/or recruit a little harder.
This kind of explains why I have my doubts that JM should just be handed the the state title. When Martinsville and I think Greenville dropped to 2A, the rest of 2A was forever relegated to also rans. No disrespect to Martinsville, Greenville, RE Lee, Brunswick or anyone else but it never happens. Or hasn’t happened yet.

This kind of explains why I have my doubts that JM should just be handed the the state title. When Martinsville and I think Greenville dropped to 2A, the rest of 2A was forever relegated to also rans. No disrespect to Martinsville, Greenville, RE Lee, Brunswick or anyone else but it never happens. Or hasn’t happened yet.
I don't think JM will be an automatic lock to win it every year, but I will be shocked if they don't win it all this year

Reactions: hrsepasture1
This is what I was trying to say. Like Martinsville hasn't dominated but they did win back to back championships just a few years ago. JM might not win every year but this year it will be a stretch to believe that anyone will beat them in 2A.

They won't even play a 2A school until the postseason. I'm pretty sure no other team in 2A is playing against and competing with Top 25 teams in the country. The regular season is so tough for them that the 2A playoffs will seem like a step down. If they stay healthy, I see no team in 2A coming close to them. It's one thing to have to deal with 2 guards that are getting Division 1 offers, but they also have a 6'10 center who is ranked #60 in the class of 2021.
I do not bet on teens so I will wait and see.

To me this seems like when Ralph was at Harrisonburg. or the Stiths were at Brunswick or the Fulton/Valentine duo was at TJ. Talent comes and goes.

Just let the kids play the game! I bet the players at Martinsville, Dan River, East Rock, Gate City and Radford aren’t scared of JM. They have their weaknesses like every other team.

Nobody said anyone was scared of JM. Kind of naive for you to suggest that. We are just saying this is JM's year to be really dominant. What are their weaknesses?

Nobody said anyone was scared of JM. Kind of naive for you to suggest that. We are just saying this is JM's year to be really dominant. What are their weaknesses?
None that will be exposed by anyone in 2A. Lol. Nobody in 2A can matchup with two D1 guards and a 6'10 D1 center.

This^^^

About 3 years ago, RE Lee had D-1 talent at multiple positions. At the beginning of the season, most on here anointed them as the kings of 2A. However, they lost in the Region B final to a vastly undersized Madison team lead by a 5’9 guard. Nobody on that MC team was over 6’3 and none played basketball beyond HS. They just had a bunch of athletes with a “never gonna lose” attitude. They had no business beating Lee in that game...on paper that is.

Now, Lee redeemed themselves and won the title over Amelia. But if that MC game would have happened in the region semifinal or state semi...season over.

My point is that on a given night, anybody can lose a game that they should never lose...especially when teenagers take the court.

JM has the reputation of playing undisciplined. I’ve seen their teams over the years, especially their team with 7 college prospects on it in 2016 and they got beat by a team who had a gameplan, hit them in the mouth (didn’t back down), and played disciplined. That team happened to be Northside.

To me this seems like when Ralph was at Harrisonburg. or the Stiths were at Brunswick or the Fulton/Valentine duo was at TJ. Talent comes and goes.

Imagine if Isaiah Todd has stayed. They may have been able to beat Sierra Canyon with another 6'10 freak to help defend and score on offense. This JM team would certainly be a top 5 team nationally. Where is Todd at this year?

Imagine if Isaiah Todd has stayed. They may have been able to beat Sierra Canyon with another 6'10 freak to help defend and score on offense. This JM team would certainly be a top 5 team nationally. Where is Todd at this year?
Idk about that one coach. Marshall has had some really good teams but has imploded when it mattered. I don’t think this team would be better than 2016’s even with Todd (Todd was on the 2016 team btw)..Todd is at Word of God (same high school John Wall played at) in Raleigh. He’s maturing a lot. He used to have a piss poor attitude.

Had to throw a jab in there lol

This^^^

About 3 years ago, RE Lee had D-1 talent at multiple positions. At the beginning of the season, most on here anointed them as the kings of 2A. However, they lost in the Region B final to a vastly undersized Madison team lead by a 5’9 guard. Nobody on that MC team was over 6’3 and none played basketball beyond HS. They just had a bunch of athletes with a “never gonna lose” attitude. They had no business beating Lee in that game...on paper that is.

Now, Lee redeemed themselves and won the title over Amelia. But if that MC game would have happened in the region semifinal or state semi...season over.

My point is that on a given night, anybody can lose a game that they should never lose...especially when teenagers take the court.
Ive watched JM year in and year out since Travis McKie was there, they can be beat this year. 3-2 zone force them to shoot. I know he's a kid but the center is soft as Charmin, put a forearm in his back he ain't got no fight in him. With that said, I still expect them to dominate 2A at least the next two seasons with Nelson, Parker, and Wheeler if they return. As far as how they get there talent? Shoe sponsorship and quality schedules will do that for any program. As long as they have city addresses get over it

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT