ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Taylor - Maury ?

Oct 6, 2018
Surprised that no one has posted anything about this game. I don't really know much about football in that area but my question is: Maury that good? or Lake Taylor not what we thought?

Maury lost deep in the playoffs last year to highland springs and the brought back alot of talent this Maury is that good they may not beat highland springs this year but they will make it a game.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
LT had 4 fumbles and their defense was riddled by the pass. I would say Maury is that good and LT not quite the world beater everyone thought, but still a very good team.

Not many team's can get verticle on Lake Taylor's defense. Class 6 Freedom- Woodbridge did it a couple of years ago but LT still made a deep run in the playoffs. A better Freedom W team last year which also played in the State Title game got torched by Lake Taylor.

So, it's not wise to draw too many assumptions about the Titans from that loss. Remember, last year, LT lost to IC Norcom but they played 15 games.

Maury has a chip on their shoulder after Highland Springs put up 70+ points on them last year. They've recruited well but getting past the Springers will be tough. Maury has a lot of athletes but can they respond with toughness as a team? How does a team overcome giving up and getting beat so badly?

Not many team's can get verticle on Lake Taylor's defense. Class 6 Freedom- Woodbridge did it a couple of years ago but LT still made a deep run in the playoffs. A better Freedom W team last year which also played in the State Title game got torched by Lake Taylor.

So, it's not wise to draw too many assumptions about the Titans from that loss. Remember, last year, LT lost to IC Norcom but they played 15 games.

Maury has a chip on their shoulder after Highland Springs put up 70+ points on them last year. They've recruited well but getting past the Springers will be tough. Maury has a lot of athletes but can they respond with toughness as a team? How does a team overcome giving up and getting beat so badly?
I think LT will respond very well to this beat down. They still have some excellent players and a top notch coach, one of the best in Tidewater. In 4A this year no one will beat LT. After that it’s a guess.

Reactions: CavsGrad
I’m not as high on LT’s defense as some have been. They are always vulnerable to accurate QB’s who have good WR’s. That many turnovers will kill you against a top team like Maury.

Reactions: OCBoy
Accurate QB, great Wide Receivers AND the ability to get the ball out in 2 seconds. THAT is uncommon and a gamble that Sawyer's Defense has been pretty successful with to this point.

To me what's most remarkable about Lake Taylor is how his players respond after those big plays. They never let the game overwhelm them. They just go line up and come right at you as if nothing's happened. On most occasions, they are able to respond with a long drive or huge play of their own. Turnovers after giving up a big play presents the perfect storm which few overcome. Beating Pheobus again this year might be a better barometer for how this will go for the Titans.

Accurate QB, great Wide Receivers AND the ability to get the ball out in 2 seconds. THAT is uncommon and a gamble that Sawyer's Defense has been pretty successful with to this point.

To me what's most remarkable about Lake Taylor is how his players respond after those big plays. They never let the game overwhelm them. They just go line up and come right at you as if nothing's happened. On most occasions, they are able to respond with a long drive or huge play of their own. Turnovers after giving up a big play presents the perfect storm which few overcome. Beating Pheobus again this year might be a better barometer for how this will go for the Titans.
And Maury had 6 Td’s called back on penalties. They were red hot.

I agree, its way too early to dismiss LT in Class 4. You've mentioned Maury and IR's transfers in a few threads. Is it fair to say one of them now leads the 757 in that department?

Last edited:
Between I. River & Maury, they've been pretty equal in the numbers that have transformed their teams. Maury seems to have won the battle of talent. It'll be a pretty big upset if Maury & Highland Springs don't meet up in November.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Between I. River & Maury, they've been pretty equal in the numbers that have transformed their teams. Maury seems to have won the battle of talent. It'll be a pretty big upset if Maury & Highland Springs don't meet up in November.
Certainly a different landscape than it was ten years ago. I'd argue that coaching helped with those transformations, along with the transfers. If Coach Scott can get a title soon, I'd expect those numbers may slow down and tilt back to Smith.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Certainly a different landscape than it was ten years ago. I'd argue that coaching helped with those transformations, along with the transfers. If Coach Scott can get a title soon, I'd expect those numbers may slow down and tilt back to Smith.

Agreed, 100℅

Yea, my understanding is Maury should have won that game by about 70. Lambert is too good at this point for a random HS DB to cover in man.
That’s the biggest issue with playing Highland Springs. All their DBs are just as good as he is.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
LT will be just fine. People wrotr Salem off the yr they lost to Amherst and Blacksburg .Look what happened. Still alot of games to be played

Last edited:
Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT