ADVERTISEMENT

Layoff before tournament

trueblue102

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 29, 2010
Some teams will have had a big layoff and not just from the storm. Buckingham's last game was 2/5. Interesting that the Conference 37 tournament was scheduled to start 2/15. Several Dogwood teams had games last week, but with the weather, I guess everyone will have time off before playing. I know that in the east, most of the JRD teams have already played theirs except for the Championship game. Just curious.

Some teams will have had a big layoff and not just from the storm. Buckingham's last game was 2/5. Interesting that the Conference 37 tournament was scheduled to start 2/15. Several Dogwood teams had games last week, but with the weather, I guess everyone will have time off before playing. I know that in the east, most of the JRD teams have already played theirs except for the Championship game. Just curious.
Probably weather and 2 teams going deep in playoffs (bucktown and appo)

That's why I'll be glad when they get rid of these conferences. You can't have a district schedule all season and then just flip over to conferences when season is over. The reason Buckingham and Randolph-Henry have such long layoffs is because the East conferences started their tourneys last week and will start their 16 team regional on Thursday. The west won't start thier regional until next week. Which is 8 teams. Same with Cumberland and Central in 1A. They had a big layoff too because all the 2A East teams were playing conference tourney last week.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
This is mainly a James River District problem. Having 9 teams representing 3 conferences and 3 different regions as well.

That's why I'll be glad when they get rid of these conferences. You can't have a district schedule all season and then just flip over to conferences when season is over. The reason Buckingham and Randolph-Henry have such long layoffs is because the East conferences started their tourneys last week and will start their 16 team regional on Thursday. The west won't start thier regional until next week. Which is 8 teams. Same with Cumberland and Central in 1A. They had a big layoff too because all the 2A East teams were playing conference tourney last week.
Appo is in conference with R.H. and Bucktown and we never sniffed each other?

My question is how do they wven vote for all conference players if they never seen each other? Lol

Exactly. Take for instance Tremaine Pugh at Randolph-Henry. No one in conference has seen this kid play. He's a fantastic all around player. But he probably is 2nd team because he's on a 2 win team and nobody outside of Buckingham has seen him play.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Exactly. Take for instance Tremaine Pugh at Randolph-Henry. No one in conference has seen this kid play. He's a fantastic all around player. But he probably is 2nd team because he's on a 2 win team and nobody outside of Buckingham has seen him play.
I agree with you. There are too many differences in the Conferences. I know the conference set up is designed to allow for more games and get more teams involved. I'm sure there is a better way. The point thing is weird too. 2A teams might as well play bad 3A teams instead of good 2A teams. You get more points for beating a 0 for 3A team than a 15 win 2A team. All Conference is as you said. How can they vote when they never saw them play. I saw Pugh play a couple of times this year and he is a good young player, so is the Pettus kid, both are sophomores. Ragland is an excellent player as well. Would like to see Buckingham and RH play a 3rd time since they split their games in the regular season by very narrow margins.

Reactions: EastRockGirlsHoops
When does conference tourney start now ?

I have maintained for year that VHSL should not allow conferences to do as they please. EVERY SCHOOL IN THE STATE SHOULD PLAY UNDER SAME FORMAT.

Reactions: AntGZee
When does conference tourney start now ?

I have maintained for year that VHSL should not allow conferences to do as they please. EVERY SCHOOL IN THE STATE SHOULD PLAY UNDER SAME FORMAT.
They start Wednesday. Buckingham will have had 12 days off since they last played. I agree with you about the conferences. There has to be a better way.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
At the coaches meeting for all conference, coaches do a good job of putting guys on teams. Everyone goes home satisfied. Stats most of all (take it or leave it) are the barometer.

Don't athletic directors have the ability to make the schedules? Take RH this season. LCA? Park View? Why put them on the schedule if you want to win the conference? Played Appomattox, Chatham, Buckingham, and even had DR for a scrimmage last season. It comes down to schools and athletic directors making the appropriate schedule. Doesn't make sense to me.

Don't athletic directors have the ability to make the schedules? Take RH this season. LCA? Park View? Why put them on the schedule if you want to win the conference? Played Appomattox, Chatham, Buckingham, and even had DR for a scrimmage last season. It comes down to schools and athletic directors making the appropriate schedule. Doesn't make sense to me.
That seems odd group for an out of district schedule. Of course Buckingham was played as part of the JRD schedule. Appomattox was originally on the schedule but I think weather messed that up. Still, why play LCA and Park View?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT