ADVERTISEMENT

LCA recruiting rumors

Feb 17, 2019
Welp as the subject notes, this could just be a rumor but word is that LCA has successfully recruited a QB from IMG academy in FL who already has an offer from the University of Miami. IF this is true then hopefully we can put the whole, “LCA doesn’t recruit, kids just want to go there for the facilities and exposure they provide” to bed. (The facilities and exposure IMG provides is probably the best in the entire country)

Senior is what I heard. (Again just want to reiterate that this is not ironclad, just what some kids at LCA are saying)

If he’s a senior with only one offer to Miami after being at IMG then you gotta question if the kid is even that good.

Should have never been allowed to drop to 3A. I thought using that multiplier for their enrollment was meant to offset recruiting? I assume LCA had a say in dropping said multiplier?

Reactions: CVAfootballfan
It isn't a rumor. It's true for the most part. He did transfer from IMG and has been at LCA and participating in 7on7 for 2 weeks now. However, he did not play for IMG's national team. From my understanding, he was a backup on their regular varsity team. Also, not sure how accurate it is that he has an offer from The U.

It isn't a rumor. It's true for the most part. He did transfer from IMG and has been at LCA and participating in 7on7 for 2 weeks now. However, he did not play for IMG's national team. From my understanding, he was a backup on their regular varsity team. Also, not sure how accurate it is that he has an offer from The U.
His 247 recruiting profile and twitter both say he has an offer from Miami.

Reactions: VolNation85
His 247 recruiting profile and twitter both say he has an offer from Miami.

That's how sites typically operate, kids report the offers and sites take it on good faith that they're telling the truth. Kids lie about offers all the time or staffs lie to the kids (non-committable offers). It's possible he has a real offer or something else could be afoot.

The only real offer you can ever be sure about for a kid is the one they sign to on NSD.

Welp as the subject notes, this could just be a rumor but word is that LCA has successfully recruited a QB from IMG academy in FL who already has an offer from the University of Miami. IF this is true then hopefully we can put the whole, “LCA doesn’t recruit, kids just want to go there for the facilities and exposure they provide” to bed. (The facilities and exposure IMG provides is probably the best in the entire country)
The highest levels of high school football are small college operations that are actually well connected businesses producing replacement parts on an assembly line for the NCAA. There are numerous ”schools” that operate only to prepare children as early as possible for the rigors of traveling and playing football weekly across state lines. It should be a crime that any team even slightly connected to that was ever allowed to participate against public schools in Virginia. See Bosco vs Smith for reference. Now that that door has been kicked down recruiting will be the least of your worries. Buy your t-shirt early. Got Cheating?

LCA had their best team ever last year and couldn’t close the deal.. What makes y’all think that an IMG backup and a few other filler transfers gonna do? They literally lose a top 3 OT in America, a solid WR who could’ve played at any FCS school he wanted to, a dual threat QB who will compete to be the starting QB at UVA next year and the best TE I’ve ever seen at the high school level. Not going as far as “stick a fork in them” but unless they’re handing the ball off to the Davidsons every play and they score, I don’t see them being anywhere as good as they’ve been.

Yet they still haven't won the State Championship.

LCA had their best team ever last year and couldn’t close the deal.. What makes y’all think that an IMG backup and a few other filler transfers gonna do? They literally lose a top 3 OT in America, a solid WR who could’ve played at any FCS school he wanted to, a dual threat QB who will compete to be the starting QB at UVA next year and the best TE I’ve ever seen at the high school level. Not going as far as “stick a fork in them” but unless they’re handing the ball off to the Davidsons every play and they score, I don’t see them being anywhere as good as they’ve been.
You're right on Stowers. He was sick at Linebacker too.

I have no problem with whatever it is they're doing. I just think they needed to stick to, and enforce the, 1.5 multiplier to their enrollment. And that would be for any private school joining the VHSL. I wish they all would join honestly. Makes for some new rivalries.

I couldn't agree more for those same reasons. They will still be a good football team this year because they have several good players besides the Davidson bros. Jaden Skates (EC Glass transfer 2 years ago) is a legit FCS Safety and a better than average WR. Plus they have 3 returning starters on the OL. Factor that in with the fact that Rocco is a good coach, I wouldn't be surprised if they still won 8-9 games in the regular season. I wouldn't even be surprised if they won the region again just because 3C is very weak outside of LCA, Brookville, and Heritage. But I don't see them reaching the state championship game again any time in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Is it true that LCA will be a Class 2 school next cycle?
If the VHSL keeps the cutoff at the same number or near then they would be Class 2 next cycle. Unless VHSL does something crazy to keep them at Class 3 just because. They already have fewer students than 4-5 Class 2 schools.

I couldn't agree more for those same reasons. They will still be a good football team this year because they have several good players besides the Davidson bros. Jaden Skates (EC Glass transfer 2 years ago) is a legit FCS Safety and a better than average WR. Plus they have 3 returning starters on the OL. Factor that in with the fact that Rocco is a good coach, I wouldn't be surprised if they still won 8-9 games in the regular season. I wouldn't even be surprised if they won the region again just because 3C is very weak outside of LCA, Brookville, and Heritage. But I don't see them reaching the state championship game again any time in the near future.
I mean no disrespect to anyone because I hate those “I know more than you cause I played/coach” people.. But you and I both know that transfers are apart of this thing. Kids come and go & whether people want admit it or not, if your team is good, they probably have a couple of kids using some addresses that they don’t live in or found a loophole to get to that school. It is what it is. I know people are bored and this board is pretty dead, but if you’re around a program then this is not news lol..

I mean no disrespect to anyone because I hate those “I know more than you cause I played/coach” people.. But you and I both know that transfers are apart of this thing. Kids come and go & whether people want admit it or not, if your team is good, they probably have a couple of kids using some addresses that they don’t live in or found a loophole to get to that school. It is what it is. I know people are bored and this board is pretty dead, but if you’re around a program then this is not news lol..
I hear ya dude but go back and read my original post about the IMG transfer. Didn’t say it was hot news, didn’t say it meant they were gunna be state contenders again and didn’t say it’s not happening elsewhere. Last year when the LCA recruiting conversation was in full tilt folks kept saying the same thing, “LCA doesn’t recruit, kids just wanna go there because they have great facilities and provide great exposure for college recruiting.” All I said is that that argument doesn’t hold a lot of water for the specific instance of a kid transferring out of IMG simply because their facilities and college exposure is second to none.

I hear ya dude but go back and read my original post about the IMG transfer. Didn’t say it was hot news, didn’t say it meant they were gunna be state contenders again and didn’t say it’s not happening elsewhere. Last year when the LCA recruiting conversation was in full tilt folks kept saying the same thing, “LCA doesn’t recruit, kids just wanna go there because they have great facilities and provide great exposure for college recruiting.” All I said is that that argument doesn’t hold a lot of water for the specific instance of a kid transferring out of IMG simply because their facilities and college exposure is second to none.
These boards are beyond dead so by no means am I putting your post down. Kids transfer for a lot of reasons. The craziest reasons so hard to gauge. Maybe he thinks that if he plays at LCA, he’ll get a shot to play for Liberty? LCA will need all the help they can get. I got a feeling Glass, Heritage and Brookville will make slight work out of them.

They should not compete against actual public schools for power points or in playoffs. Shame on the VHSL for allowing this nonsense. BS.
Why not? Most of your top public school programs have transfers and a good majority recruit talent in, whether it’s rec league/middle school or from the opposition. Cave Spring’s basketball coach OPENLY said that after they would play Salem, he’d go to their best player and talk to him after the game and bragged about how he loved his game. He ended up transferring to CS and they won the state championship this year. Should the VHSL take their trophy? Nonsense! One of many instances. Let’s stop making emotional statements (not calling you emotional) because you may not like a certain thing and let’s start looking at the facts.

Reactions: OCBoy and mmqp 5.0
Why not? Most of your top public school programs have transfers and a good majority recruit talent in, whether it’s rec league/middle school or from the opposition. Cave Spring’s basketball coach OPENLY said that after they would play Salem, he’d go to their best player and talk to him after the game and bragged about how he loved his game. He ended up transferring to CS and they won the state championship this year. Should the VHSL take their trophy? Nonsense! One of many instances. Let’s stop making emotional statements (not calling you emotional) because you may not like a certain thing and let’s start looking at the facts.
Dude…wrong is wrong. Don’t give us this nonsense that because you know of some public school program violating rules that it excuses a program that does not have to follow rules at all. LCA has a different set of rules than public schools. That is not fair. Period.

Dude…wrong is wrong. Don’t give us this nonsense that because you know of some public school program violating rules that it excuses a program that does not have to follow rules at all. LCA has a different set of rules than public schools. That is not fair. Period.
Your feelings are hurt for no reason at all. LCA had its best team ever and they’ll never have a team that good again. They win the Class 3 ship this past year? LB been owning Covington and Allegheny County and they haven’t won anything either. You’re crying over a few little transfers, you’d really be hurt at Varina getting a 4 star and a 3 star from Henrico 😂 the Class 4 state player of the year was a transfer too. I guess that ain’t fair either.

Reactions: OCBoy
Your feelings are hurt for no reason at all. LCA had its best team ever and they’ll never have a team that good again. They win the Class 3 ship this past year? LB been owning Covington and Allegheny County and they haven’t won anything either. You’re crying over a few little transfers, you’d really be hurt at Varina getting a 4 star and a 3 star from Henrico 😂 the Class 4 state player of the year was a transfer too. I guess that ain’t fair either.
Your rationale is that since they did not win a title that it is ok?

I think the issue needs to lay with the VHSL and not so much LCA. They allowed it because they didn’t want to battle it out in court. They might as well let all private schools in on it now.
The state of NC does. Charlotte Catholic is NC’s LCA. The students who play sports get no scholarship and have to pay full tuition. They’ve won countless state championships in football or have at least been in the state semi’s/championship game, think they won basketball in 2015 or 2016 and are respected. The charter schools there own the smaller divisions in basketball. Henderson Collegiate, Winston Salem Prep, Wilson Prep, Lincoln Charter, Chatham Charter.. Many more I’m missing probably but they play the public schools. People make a lot to do about nothing.

Reactions: OCBoy and mmqp 5.0
I think the rationale is the same thing/argument it’s always been: a private school playing against public schools in VHSL sanctioned districts and competition for the same championships. Many in the greater Lynchburg area have a love / hate affection-ado for LCA because of its status and relationship to LU.

Transfers happen every year , (insert school name) gets this player from (insert school name) and the logic behind it is the kid left for a greener pasture (athletics). The winners are content and the losers are crying about inequality. The dilemma is we are now in Pandora’s box today in society — with the everybody gets a trophy coupled with NIL/NCAA transfer portal/NCAA landscape. Some districts are open enrollment while others are not so kids/parents/coaches/boosters work the loopholes and get the results they looking for. It’s a morality issue like returning a shopping cart to the proper location or just setting it somewhere else (knowing someone else is doing it or going to need/move it) more than a right/wrong dilemma.

A kid leaving IMG for LCA isn’t the narrative of kids coming last year to play with a consensus national top 25 prospect. It’s likely he will start based on the competition level he’s seen and played against comparative to what’s in house / central va. If he’s legit the offers will come regardless of where he was but I don’t think he’s going to magically become a top prospect in a smaller VA classification in his senior year. That’s the reality , he may garner regional attention on the recruiting trail but he must win or be a Davis Lane type level of Player to tip the scales (in reference to the U offer).

I think the rationale is the same thing/argument it’s always been: a private school playing against public schools in VHSL sanctioned districts and competition for the same championships. Many in the greater Lynchburg area have a love / hate affection-ado for LCA because of its status and relationship to LU.

Transfers happen every year , (insert school name) gets this player from (insert school name) and the logic behind it is the kid left for a greener pasture (athletics). The winners are content and the losers are crying about inequality. The dilemma is we are now in Pandora’s box today in society — with the everybody gets a trophy coupled with NIL/NCAA transfer portal/NCAA landscape. Some districts are open enrollment while others are not so kids/parents/coaches/boosters work the loopholes and get the results they looking for. It’s a morality issue like returning a shopping cart to the proper location or just setting it somewhere else (knowing someone else is doing it or going to need/move it) more than a right/wrong dilemma.

A kid leaving IMG for LCA isn’t the narrative of kids coming last year to play with a consensus national top 25 prospect. It’s likely he will start based on the competition level he’s seen and played against comparative to what’s in house / central va. If he’s legit the offers will come regardless of where he was but I don’t think he’s going to magically become a top prospect in a smaller VA classification in his senior year. That’s the reality , he may garner regional attention on the recruiting trail but he must win or be a Davis Lane type level of Player to tip the scales (in reference to the U offer).
Well said!

My take on the whole situation is this...I have no issues with LCA "recruiting for two reasons. First, they're a private school. Their very existence depends on the tuition payed by families. They have to "recruit" students to fund the school. The other reason is that it happens at the public schools as well just like @BoKnowsSports said.

Also, my beef is with the VHSL for allowing them to be a VHSL member. Lastly, Heritage-Lynchburg is the school that got the raw end of the deal. LCA and Heritage now share a school zone so it it 100% permitted for a Heritage athlete to transfer to LCA and be immediately eligible for sports without ever changing addresses. It happened twice within the last 2 years when Gavin Womack transferred from HHS to LCA in 2020 and Jaydin Link in 2021.

When a player transfers from outside that particular Heritage LCA school zone and his dad rents an apartment that no one ever lived in within that school zone so his son can immediately be eligible to play football at LCA I'm sorry but there is something seriously wrong with that scenario.

When a player transfers from outside that particular Heritage LCA school zone and his dad rents an apartment that no one ever lived in within that school zone so his son can immediately be eligible to play football at LCA I'm sorry but there is something seriously wrong with that scenario.
I know a kid who lived across the street from the school they went to for 3 years and transferred to a public school 5 miles away and won a state championship. Used another address while still living in the house. It happens champ. A real coach is never going to call out a school personally cause transfers is the name of the game these days. Sometimes you strike big, sometimes you lose. If you’re going to be mad at LCA for it, you may as well be mad at 90% of the programs in the state. Vols and Rainman both hit the nail on the head.

I remember when one of my best friends Tim Glass left GW for LCA. Nobody in Danville cried or complained or wanted LCA’s head. They wanted Clements and a few other studs too. That same GW team went 12-0 before losing to Salem in the region semi’s. A real coach adjusts with what they have.

The problem lies within the system. It's the same scenario when everyone was mad at Donald Trump and Jeff Bezos for paying such little taxes. They simply worked the system in their favor. It's the old motto of "don't hate the player, hate the game".

Also, I know for a 100% fact that same exact scenario has happened at other schools in the Lynchburg area within the last 3 years. Two times involving guys transferring from Heritage to Brookville.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT