ADVERTISEMENT

LCA recruiting rumors

I only knew of the one kid(#54)
I think Magna Vista vs Phoebus could have had a different outcome if not for out of state recruiting. I believe Robbie Robinson was the first player Phoebus lost to a national level private school. They were not the same after he transferred to DeMatha. No matter what is said, teams that lose top players to recruiting are greatly harmed.

I think Magna Vista vs Phoebus could have had a different outcome if not for out of state recruiting. I believe Robbie Robinson was the first player Phoebus lost to a national level private school. They were not the same after he transferred to DeMatha. No matter what is said, teams that lose top players to recruiting are greatly harmed.
All due respect to you (you are very knowledgeable and have my respect), but it would not have mattered. That Magna Vista team was better than Phoebus, with or without Robbie Robinson.

Reactions: OCBoy
All to LCA?
To my knowledge, no. From what I understand, it’s just been a very tumultuous offseason with several of their playmakers off the team now for a number of different reasons (4 starters expelled from school for a full academic year, another starter moved back in with a parent elsewhere in VA, a season ending injury for another returning starter in the second week of summer workouts, etc).

To my knowledge, no. From what I understand, it’s just been a very tumultuous offseason with several of their playmakers off the team now for a number of different reasons (4 starters expelled from school for a full academic year, another starter moved back in with a parent elsewhere in VA, a season ending injury for another returning starter in the second week of summer workouts, etc).

Yeesh. Going to be a hard road for Christmas in year four.

Yeesh. Going to be a hard road for Christmas in year four.
For their sake I hope you’re wrong but you might not be. ACHS has all the potential in the world but there are issues far beyond athletics that need to be addressed. Consider the fact that their principal who had exciting plans to transform the school stepped down at the end of this year after just three years, and he’s a young charismatic leader from the community that graduated from ACHS himself. It’s really unfortunate and I sincerely hope the school and their athletics are able to turn around.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
When a player transfers from outside that particular Heritage LCA school zone and his dad rents an apartment that no one ever lived in within that school zone so his son can immediately be eligible to play football at LCA I'm sorry but there is something seriously wrong with that scenario.
That is so true

Seriously. I only heard of one guy. The new principal is a great guy as well and the kids like him as far as I know.
Wikki I hope you're right but we lost 3 players cause of suspension...We lost another RB to Brookville,Starting DE and T and our best player went to Glass...Another starting DE got kicked off team...

*Amherst’s best player transfers to Waynesboro*
Nobody:…….
Amherst fans: “THAT DAMN LCA I TELL YOU”

😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: OCBoy
Wikki I hope you're right but we lost 3 players cause of suspension...We lost another RB to Brookville,Starting DE and T and our best player went to Glass...Another starting DE got kicked off team...
One kid did transfer to LCA

Last edited:
on the other hand:-
if I was the parent of a talented kid that need more structure and get away from the environment. I would be trying LCA or anyone else that can change the outcome of my child's life. Life trumps sports!!!

The public school system is in a bad shape. How do I know? I’m an educator in the public school system. In most high schools nowadays, unless you’re taking an AP, Honors or IB curriculum, you’re going to have at least 30 kids in the class. Half don’t give a flip about what’s going on in class, you’re going to have 2-3 who just act like a complete ass, sometimes more and you can almost bet that at least 95% of the students in the class are texting and/or have on headphones being distracted. It’s a joke. I feel bad for the students who actually want to learn nowadays. I don’t blame the parents at all for taking their kids to a LCA.

The public school system is in a bad shape. How do I know? I’m an educator in the public school system. In most high schools nowadays, unless you’re taking an AP, Honors or IB curriculum, you’re going to have at least 30 kids in the class. Half don’t give a flip about what’s going on in class, you’re going to have 2-3 who just act like a complete ass, sometimes more and you can almost bet that at least 95% of the students in the class are texting and/or have on headphones being distracted. It’s a joke. I feel bad for the students who actually want to learn nowadays. I don’t blame the parents at all for taking their kids to a LCA.
that sounds like my middle school days - in the 1960's except for the cell phone part we had the paper notes that were folded into areo dynamic triangles.

My mom taught in segregated schools in Franklin County in the 1950's. Said some kids were too wild to teach. Big problems were runaways.

that sounds like my middle school days - in the 1960's except for the cell phone part we had the paper notes that were folded into areo dynamic triangles.
I bet you the students weren’t cursing the teachers out, fighting over nonsense and TikToking while instruction was going on. I graduated high school only 10 years ago. No way was even your worse kids causing as many problems as some of these knuckleheads today. No respect. The school system once held students accountable. Not anymore.

I bet you the students weren’t cursing the teachers out, fighting over nonsense and TikToking while instruction was going on. I graduated high school only 10 years ago. No way was even your worse kids causing as many problems as some of these knuckleheads today. No respect. The school system once held students accountable. Not anymore.
no there were any tik toking; the rest is not new nor is it a generational thing. I am not discounting your experience just to say that it will be alright as long as the folk with good intentions hang in there. All of these knuckleheads will grow up and a couple may even come back and thank you. Some times kids learn in spite of, not because of the system.

Last edited:
no there were any tik toking; the rest is not new nor is it a generational thing. I am not discounting your experience just to say that it will be alright as long as the folk with good intentions hang in there. All of these knuckleheads will grow up and a couple may even come back and thank you. Some times kids learn in spite of, not because of the system.
Yes sir. Great advice.

And I will say that there are communities and school divisions that still enforce behavioral standards. Might not be your experience where you are right now Bo, but there are public schools in VA with standards holding troublemakers’ feet to the fire.

It just boils down to leadership and community expectations. Kids today are kinder and more accepting of their peers than ever before, in my experience.

And I will say that there are communities and school divisions that still enforce behavioral standards. Might not be your experience where you are right now Bo, but there are public schools in VA with standards holding troublemakers’ feet to the fire.

It just boils down to leadership and community expectations. Kids today are kinder and more accepting of their peers than ever before, in my experience.
wonder what that looks like in practice - I can guess.

Discipline? In my experience, setting expectations from the start. Following through with disciplinary action when kids choose to be wild like Bo described. Then school board backing up the disciplinary action when it hits them for appeal.

Discipline? In my experience, setting expectations from the start. Following through with disciplinary action when kids choose to be wild like Bo described. Then school board backing up the disciplinary action when it hits them for appeal.
Setting expectations from the start going way beyond discipline. I went from being in the school system to being on the other side and advocating for the kids. Kids with a behavioral history is required by law to have an Individual Educational Plan (IEP). Schools are happy to do the discipline but very slow at putting a plan in place and updating it annually. Parents don't have a clue so there is no one to advocate for the kids in a great deal cases until it reaches the court.

Setting expectations from the start going way beyond discipline. I went from being in the school system to being on the other side and advocating for the kids. Kids with a behavioral history is required by law to have an Individual Educational Plan (IEP). Schools are happy to do the discipline but very slow at putting a plan in place and updating it annually. Parents don't have a clue so there is no one to advocate for the kids in a great deal cases until it reaches the court.

All I can speak for is the area where I teach and all 504/IEPs are managed with professionalism. Students who are referred receive services needed. I certainly wasn’t advocating for discipline in place of needed services. Those conversations are interconnected, but you’d be wrong to assume high discipline standards means ignoring student needs, at least in my school division.

I think it’s kinda wild that you view the school system as being “on the other side” from advocating for kids. You must have been involved in some divisions with exceptionally poor leadership. The school employees are all supposed to be student advocates.

I think it’s kinda wild that you view the school system as being “on the other side” from advocating for kids. You must have been involved in some divisions with exceptionally poor leadership. The school employees are all supposed to be student advocates.
they do have leadership skills for certain economic classes but for others not so much. The latest trend is to have a "special" school where you can ship them all so they are no longer your problem. Out of sight out of mind.

No offense, and I know it is the law, but should kids with a behavioral history have an individual educational plan?

*Amherst’s best player transfers to Waynesboro*
Nobody:…….
Amherst fans: “THAT DAMN LCA I TELL YOU”

😂😂😂😂😂
I know it’s been a while since this was posted but who is the athlete and/or position does this transfer play? I personally think they are putting together a respectable program in Waynesboro and with a few added pieces will make a playoff run. Curiosity is getting the better of me, lol

I know it’s been a while since this was posted but who is the athlete and/or position does this transfer play? I personally think they are putting together a respectable program in Waynesboro and with a few added pieces will make a playoff run. Curiosity is getting the better of me, lol
Nobody, I was just giving the Amherst fans a hard time 😂

No offense, and I know it is the law, but should kids with a behavioral history have an individual educational plan?

Yes, absolutely, because they can still learn. You're probably overthinking "behavioral history" here and imaging the worst when in reality it's really more kids with stuff like ADHD, kids who may be totally fine or even excel in school if the approach is just tweaked a little.

This is square pegs and round holes stuff, yes, kids that need an IEP should receive one. If they had IEPs back when everyone here was going to school I flat out guarantee you they'd have made an impact in the lives of some of the students you knew growing up.

You can say that again! I agree with everything you said.

Leadership and culture mean everything to a school’s climate. When you allow kids to do whatever and don’t set expectations for them, you school will look a like my former school… A cluster you know what.

Though some kids really need an IEP or a 504, I think there’s a lot of built in excuses and false security that both give students and parents. You’d be surprised at the number of kids that go for a 504 plan just for extended time for ACT/SAT and other tests. As far as behavior go, if you have an IEP, you can basically do anything but slaughter someone and that IEP protects you as long as it correlates to the “disability”. When kids get in trouble, those manifestations that determine if the child will get any discipline, will 9 times out of 10 work in the students‘ favor. It’s case by case for me, but a good majority of the time the student knew what they were doing to begin with, disability has nothing to do with it. The false security comes in when the kid is 19 and thinks it’s okay to fight or disobey authority because they’ve gotten away with it for 12 years in school. When they’re in front of the man/woman in the black robe, no IEP is protecting them.

Though some kids really need an IEP or a 504, I think there’s a lot of built in excuses and false security that both give students and parents. You’d be surprised at the number of kids that go for a 504 plan just for extended time for ACT/SAT and other tests. As far as behavior go, if you have an IEP, you can basically do anything but slaughter someone and that IEP protects you as long as it correlates to the “disability”. When kids get in trouble, those manifestations that determine if the child will get any discipline, will 9 times out of 10 work in the students‘ favor. It’s case by case for me, but a good majority of the time the student knew what they were doing to begin with, disability has nothing to do with it. The false security comes in when the kid is 19 and thinks it’s okay to fight or disobey authority because they’ve gotten away with it for 12 years in school. When they’re in front of the man/woman in the black robe, no IEP is protecting them.
My sister is an educator and she has told me the original intentions of IEPs were good, but they have now morphed into a layer of protection for bad behavior and suffering consequences while the one's that want to learn end up receiving 25% of the resources and the behavioral problem students consume 75% or more. And we wonder why China and Russia's youth are light years ahead of our students. Those 2 countries do not tolerate the bad behavior, and 25 years into the future, their societies benefit from it.

All due respect to you (you are very knowledgeable and have my respect), but it would not have mattered. That Magna Vista team was better than Phoebus, with or without Robbie Robinson.
Thank you for your compliment. That is very nice of you. If what you are saying is true then there should never be any more complaints about recruiting out of public high school football teams. I do not believe any high school football team can lose their primary player that, in the case of Robbie Robinson, was most likely the fastest and most talented football player in Virginia at the time, and be the same team afterwards. MV was indeed better than Phoebus without Robbie Robinson.

The DeMatha Stags (MD) however, a nationally ranked team at the time, had obviously become much, much better with Robbie Robinson. If you are right about Robbie and Phoebus then MV could have also been better than DeMatha. We would then have to ask why did the Stags staff recruit Robbie? Secondly, how did he come to start on a national level traveling high school football team overloaded with D1 talent and make an impact?

Thank you for your compliment. That is very nice of you. If what you are saying is true then there should never be any more complaints about recruiting out of public high school football teams. I do not believe any high school football team can lose their primary player that, in the case of Robbie Robinson, was most likely the fastest and most talented football player in Virginia at the time, and be the same team afterwards. MV was indeed better than Phoebus without Robbie Robinson.

The DeMatha Stags (MD) however, a nationally ranked team at the time, had obviously become much, much better with Robbie Robinson. If you are right about Robbie and Phoebus then MV could have also been better than DeMatha. We would then have to ask why did the Stags staff recruit Robbie? Secondly, how did he come to start on a national level traveling high school football team overloaded with D1 talent and make an impact?
I don’t have any problems with recruiting or players leaving a situation to better themselves. My mentality is I want kids who want to play for me and I’m going to ball with who I have.

Let’s not act like MV won by fluke. They were the best team in Class 3 in 2014 and 2015. Robinson? MV had Tre Redd. Was he better than Robinson? I’m not really into comparing kids but Redd had a big impact all 6 years at Wake Forest (when he wasn’t hurt) whereas Robinson sadly wasted what God gave him. That’s not me judging him, I hope he turned his life around. MV also had Jaq Hairston who had a very good career at Coastal Carolina at RB, Jason Scales who was probably the best LB in Class 3 those two years and Shoalin McGuire who signed to play football at NC Central. MV was loaded too! They beat some really good teams with some very good players during their two year run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT