ADVERTISEMENT

LCA vs Phantoms

So where is the practice field for the Bee's or do they use stinger stadium? Maybe they use the baseball field. Looks like heritage use to practice on the baseball field until they got the addition done. JF doesn't have multiple practice fields from my memory. More than likely football practices on their field and I think they had a softball field. So that's 2 fields and tennis courts. Very small seating as well for football. EC Glass doesn't have multiple practice fields. They have a field with a track around it that is used for football and soccer. One baseball field and one softball field. Amherst is the same as well. Been there several times. Amherst does have a soccer field next to baseball and softball fields. Now Rustburg has alot of Fields but they belong to Abbott-Duncan Rec.
Liberty has the usual track around field along with baseball and softball.
Then LCA has a soccer field with a new Jason Brown athletic complex. A baseball field and softball field that looks to be in great shape. The gym is all you need not to mention they use portable goals that are better than the usual goals in highschool gyms.
I don't know much about the weight rooms with the exception of JF. I know they have a top notch weight room.
I do like City stadium
Amherst has a top notch weight room, since Christmas became Coach

Reactions: SFUWO
They will also get to play on their home field if they make it to states, which is so wrong. They have all the advantages of any one.
True. But if the final includes a team from Region A expect a stern message to Vhsl to change to a neutral site.

Reactions: SFUWO
True. But if the final includes a team from Region A expect a stern message to Vhsl to change to a neutral site.
It will be too late be that time. I like it at LU but it shouldn’t be home field for any team. Not sure what they would do

We just had all 6 state games played at someone's home field. Highly doubt they change. They would not change the location in 2016 when Blacksburg played Staunton River. Both teams could have played at Salem Stadium right in the middle of both fan bases but had to go to Williamsburg at the far end of the state instead.

Reactions: VolNation85
We just had all 6 state games played at someone's home field. Highly doubt they change. They would not change the location in 2016 when Blacksburg played Staunton River. Both teams could have played at Salem Stadium right in the middle of both fan bases but had to go to Williamsburg at the far end of the state instead.
Except for last year’s covid finals, class 3 and 4 teams here go to the “far end of the state” every year.

Except for last year’s covid finals, class 3 and 4 teams here go to the “far end of the state” every year.
You totally missed my point. Both opponents had to go to W&M. Neither one was anywhere close to that location. Blacksburg about 4 Hrs away. Even LU is closer for Lafayette than that. VHSL did not change that game I highly doubt they change LCA if they make the final. It made way more since to move Riverheads and Sussex game to WM and Blacksburg game to Salem.

LU is not the far end of the state it's probably the most centralized location for a title game and the state games were right in your backyard for 2 yrs. Only problem was teams were still coming from the West to play there.
2016 Blacksburg vs Staunton River
2017 Hopewell vs Heritage Lynchburg

LU is practically a home field for Amherst , Heritage, and Glass. Heck i would love to have a state game at LU i'm 5 minutes away from it. Like others said about the spring season all games played at somebodies home field worked even if the illogic behind it did not make common sense. Getting a win away is much sweeter in the end, shows dominance.

Oh ok I had asked because everyone has been begging to schedule us these last 2 weeks we’ve been off. That’s the school with the top OT. They don’t have anything for Phoebus this year to be honest. I saw a game of theirs.
It looks like you still lack respect for the teams out west. I thought Blacksburg might've humbled you a bit. I was wrong. Honestly.

Thats true but to be honest Phoebus hasn’t been Phoebus since the 2012 team. 3A has never honestly played the traditional Phoebus team. Finally after all these years of honestly over achieving we are back to the talent levels we had from 2001-2012. Blunt got the trust of these parents and they are bringing them back to Phoebus. I’m not just talking when I say we are loaded this year. Good luck to all teams because we are honestly not even paying attention to anyone outside 757 right now. And I beg you please don’t bring up that Blacksburg L again…by far one of the worst L’s in program history.
It's easy for you to talk about the talent from the 2000s to 2012, playing "up" and all that jazz, but the fact is, Phoebus never played a team from west of Richmond during that span. Not even once. Only teams up north. I guarantee that if Phoebus had played Salem or Amherst in the 2000s, they'd have a few more losses.

Reactions: BGfootball95
It's easy for you to talk about the talent from the 2000s to 2012, playing "up" and all that jazz, but the fact is, Phoebus never played a team from west of Richmond during that span. Not even once. Only teams up north. I guarantee that if Phoebus had played Salem or Amherst in the 2000s, they'd have a few more losses.
Lol ok….it’s cool to root for your home team but you obviously have no clue how good and dominant Phoebus was from 2001-2011 when they won their 7 5A titles. No one would ever agree that those teams would’ve beaten Phoebus especially 2001,2002,2008, and 2010 when we were clearly the best team in the state and top 5-10 on the east coast and even finished top 3 in the country one year. Phoebus fell off big time when Stan Sexton was fired in the middle of the 2012 season. No offense to Jeremy Blunt but I think Sexton would’ve beaten a lot of those better coached western teams we’ve faced in the playoffs. And to answer your previous question yes Blacksburg did humble Phoebus but I’m a fan on a message board. I’m going to talk my ish because I watched this group of kids grow up and I know they’re special.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
The ‘08 Phoebus team pitched 9 shut-outs in 15 games. The only team to even think about scaring them that year was Lake Taylor in the Regional Final (and they were shut out). There was not a team within 500 miles of Phoebus High School beating them in ‘08. One of, if not, the best defense in the history of VHSL public football belonged to that ‘08 Phoebus team.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Some of those Phoebus teams could actually compete with those great mid to late 90's era Hampton Crabbers that stumped a mudhole in Amherst in the 1998 state title game and that was after Curry graduated. Maybe if Western Region teams had played some of those teams from the Central and Northern Regions, they may have a had a shot at Phoebus. So, I'll let history speak for itself. Please don't compare any of the Phoebus teams the West has beaten over the past 5 or 6 years to those dominant state Championship teams. Absolutely no comparison. The mindset and talent were on a totally different level. back then. This team in 2021 is the closest thing I've seen to being a true state championship caliber team but that's as far as I'm going with that comparison. Good Luck to Phoebus, LCA, and everyone else that destined for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Some of those Phoebus teams could actually compete with those great mid to late 90's era Hampton Crabbers that stumped a mudhole in Amherst in the 1998 state title game and that was after Curry graduated. Maybe if Western Region teams had played some of those teams from the Central and Northern Regions, they may have a had a shot at Phoebus. So, I'll let history speak for itself. Please don't compare any of the Phoebus teams the West has beaten over the past 5 or 6 years to those dominant state Championship teams. Absolutely no comparison. The mindset and talent were on a totally different level. back then. This team in 2021 is the closest thing I've seen to being a true state championship caliber team but that's as far as I'm going with that comparison. Good Luck to Phoebus, LCA, and everyone else that destined for the playoffs.
Amherst is a bad example. Salem stomped them 58-0 the very next yr in the playoffs after Amherst moved down to D4

Reactions: LionNation540
Yeah man Marshawn got hurt against KF and it was over because he was literally 95% of the offense. Worst part about that loss is KF lost to Heritage the next week! TT Toliver easily one of the biggest what ifs/bust in recent 757 history. Never played HS past sophomore year after being a stud freshman. The next year 2014 when we went like 8-4 i thought it was over for the program. Blown out by Lake Taylor and 2 Pd L’s to heritage and kecoughtan to finish year. I bring that year up because the worst loss in recent program history was that year 35-0 to some unknown school in Richmond.
Monocan Chiefs

Amherst is a bad example. Salem stomped them 58-0 the very next yr in the playoffs after Amherst moved down to D4
The 1998 team from Amherst was really good. Hampton was just better. Amherst lost a lot after that year. They won state in 1995. The 2006 and 2007 teams were the best in my opinion.

LCA is top team in 3A... Hands down. Great line, great backs, all around team. Phoebus may be good, and have a rich program history these last few decades, but they have a tendancy of not showing up come deep playoff time here recent years.

Personally I think Lafayette will finish strong and come out on that side...

LCA vs Lafayette for the title

LCA 30 Lafayette 14

LCA is top team in 3A... Hands down. Great line, great backs, all around team. Phoebus may be good, and have a rich program history these last few decades, but they have a tendancy of not showing up come deep playoff time here recent years.

LCA 30 Lafayette 14
We shall see!

Last edited:

LCA 30 Lafayette 14
Only if the defense finds its footing again. Having watched these games for 24 years I don’t expect to see the likes of King Williams tandem of their RB and QB again. Fastest, most elusive tandem on a team I have seen in many years, and that includes playoff teams. I expect a shootout in most of their games. One of the better offenses Lafayette has had, so far the defense has not met the usual expectations.

LCA 30 Lafayette 14

lol y’all just be talking…

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
One thg for sure, Phoebus will be battle tested and they are loaded on both sides of the ball...This is the best Phoebus team to play in 3A hands down. 5 deep at wrs. Oscar Smith is the measuring stick.
I will be cheering for Phoebus. Not fair LCA gets to play on their home field

They are the only school that could have the luxury correct?
I agree, that aint fair. I feel LU is the best place to have the game just if they are in it and alternate location should be used.

Reactions: wikki
I agree, that aint fair. I feel LU is the best place to have the game just if they are in it and alternate location should be used.
Heck swap class 2 at salem for LU , problem solved.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Heritage played two State Championship games at LU. Those were basically home games for them. How do you and @wikki feel about that?

Reactions: Raiders Radio
Heritage played two State Championship games at LU. Those were basically home games for them. How do you and @wikki feel about that?
"basically" meaning NOT. Home only in geographical terms.

That's not even an argument. Heritage DID NOT play every home game that was on their schedule at Williams stadium, LCA does!

• Wow
"basically" meaning NOT. Home only in geographical terms.

That's not even an argument. Heritage DID NOT play every home game that was on their schedule at Williams stadium, LCA does!
Lol easy on the ALL CAPS buddy. I was only asking your opinion. I don't care one way or another about where LCA plays so you won't hear an "argument" from me on the matter.

Got carried away I guess.

Just feel that no team should be allowed to play that game on their home field. Like was said above, if they make it then they should move the 2A game to LU and the 3A to Salem. That seems only fair to the other team that would have to play LCA, if LCA does in fact make it.

I like having it at LU because us Amherst lady boosters get to host it. We get be in the nice suites and watch both games. That luxury is not at Salem
LU is LCA's home field, it wasn't for Heritage. That was my point.

Thats true but to be honest Phoebus hasn’t been Phoebus since the 2012 team. 3A has never honestly played the traditional Phoebus team. Finally after all these years of honestly over achieving we are back to the talent levels we had from 2001-2012. Blunt got the trust of these parents and they are bringing them back to Phoebus. I’m not just talking when I say we are loaded this year. Good luck to all teams because we are honestly not even paying attention to anyone outside 757 right now. And I beg you please don’t bring up that Blacksburg L again…by far one of the worst L’s in program history.
All the respect in the world for Phoebus. One heck of a program and one heck of a tradition, but......part of not being the traditional or old Phoebus at the 3A level could go hand in hand with...............being 3A. Meaning, you don't have the numbers you once had. Not saying the Phantoms aren't super talented and probably the favs to win the whole thing this year at the 3A level, but at least mathematically, if you go from 5A to 3A over a certain period of time, this means you don't have as many students to choose from, so being the traditional or old Phoebus is going to be tough to replicate.

I knew your old Coach Very Well in Bill Dee. A class-act that I often fished with off of the Fort Monroe Pier. He had forgotten more about football than I knew about football. I remember him going on and on about Xavier Adibi one night when we were hammering 2 and sometimes 3 pound Croaker. Dee was down to earth man. Would show up at the Pier, which was mostly very old war vets and was just one of the bunch. Never had the high and mighty attitude or anything like that. He just wanted to fish, would talk football if you asked him, and loved listening to Old School, 1960's/70's R and B off the pier. Great times I had in my younger years back then.

All the respect in the world for Phoebus. One heck of a program and one heck of a tradition, but......part of not being the traditional or old Phoebus at the 3A level could go hand in hand with...............being 3A. Meaning, you don't have the numbers you once had. Not saying the Phantoms aren't super talented and probably the favs to win the whole thing this year at the 3A level, but at least mathematically, if you go from 5A to 3A over a certain period of time, this means you don't have as many students to choose from, so being the traditional or old Phoebus is going to be tough to replicate.
Phoebus has always had low enrollment. They had to petition the VHSL back in the days to stay D5

The problem with LCA competing with the public schools is a similar thing in Charlotte. The Private Christian and Catholic schools in Charlotte get to compete with the public schools in the regular season and the playoffs. When you get a Private School in Charlotte that has 1000 kids, it's a whole other ballgame when playing a public school across the state with 1000 kids because that school can literally recruit (legally). They can offer a family to come there and give them a scholarship or free education, and Charlotte, NC, has open enrollment for all schools. This means, if you live in a bad part of Charlotte and you are a great athlete, if you can get across town on your own to that private school OR another public school of your choice, then you can go there. The advantage clearly rests in the private school's ability to attract great athletes for a discounted cost of education and sometimes, even free. So, if you are in the lynchburg area, are a great athlete, and you can get to LCA, there's a very good chance you could go there at a highly discounted price, sometimes even free. This is where the unfair advantage is for the private schools when competing with public schools. They should have to play two levels up in my opinion.

I'm all for private education and Christian education, but when it comes to competing athletically, the playing field is definitely skewed as an advantage to the private schools when they are playing schools of similar size. If you take private schools out of the equation and just look at public schools, it's unfair for a city like Charlotte to be able to have open enrollment and a city like Fayetteville or Raleigh to not have open enrollment. Why? Because you often get kids at the latest and greatest new school that is the place to go, and they have their run for a few years before it switches to another school, but your getting super potent, talent heavy schools come out of the Charlotte area by putting their 22 best of the city together when Raleigh or Wilmington can't do that. It's totally an unfair advantage. Same thing with Highland Springs losing to the school from Charlotte this year. Chambers High, formerly Vance, is the hottest commodity on the market right now in Charlotte and the best of Charlotte's talent is going there to play. So, it's not like Highland Springs is just playing one school in Charlotte of similar size. That school they are playing has open enrollment. The equal of that would be for Highland Springs to be able to get most of the top talent in Richmond, and then playing Chambers. Totally unfair playing field.

Last edited:
The problem with LCA competing with the public schools is a similar thing in Charlotte. The Private Christian and Catholic schools in Charlotte get to compete with the public schools in the regular season and the playoffs. When you get a Private School in Charlotte that has 1000 kids, it's a whole other ballgame when playing a public school across the state with 1000 kids because that school can literally recruit (legally). They can offer a family to come there and give them a scholarship or free education, and Charlotte, NC, has open enrollment for all schools. This means, if you live in a bad part of Charlotte and you are a great athlete, if you can get across town on your own to that private school OR another public school of your choice, then you can go there. The advantage clearly rests in the private school's ability to attract great athletes for a discounted cost of education and sometimes, even free. So, if you are in the lynchburg area, are a great athlete, and you can get to LCA, there's a very good chance you could go there at a highly discounted price, sometimes even free. This is where the unfair advantage is for the private schools when competing with public schools. They should have to play two levels up in my opinion.

I'm all for private education and Christian education, but when it comes to competing athletically, the playing field is definitely skewed as an advantage to the private schools when they are playing schools of similar size. If you take private schools out of the equation and just look at public schools, it's unfair for a city like Charlotte to be able to have open enrollment and a city like Fayetteville or Raleigh to not have open enrollment. Why? Because you often get kids at the latest and greatest new school that is the place to go, and they have their run for a few years before it switches to another school, but your getting super potent, talent heavy schools come out of the Charlotte area by putting their 22 best of the city together when Raleigh or Wilmington can't do that. It's totally an unfair advantage. Same thing with Highland Springs losing to the school from Charlotte this year. Chambers High, formerly Vance, is the hottest commodity on the market right now in Charlotte and the best of Charlotte's talent is going there to play. So, it's not like Highland Springs is just playing one school in Charlotte of similar size. That school they are playing has open enrollment. The equal of that would be for Highland Springs to be able to get most of the top talent in Richmond, and then playing Chambers. Totally unfair playing field.
I stay in Chambers zone in Charlotte University area. Kids are assigned to zones to what school they attend. Chambers is hot now but not because of recruitment. They have always had good athletes but the last 10 years the coaching as been really great. Before Vance/Chambers it's was Mallard Creek. Before the Creek it was Butler, Before Bulter it was Independence and then West Charlotte. Charlotte has alot of talent and don't really recruit traditionally like other hs. Every once in a while there may be a transfer if the family moves in the school zone. Chambers vs Highland Springs was an even match up with two great coaches. Chambers got the win that night. Chambers recently lost to an Undefeated Hough team in their district. Hough doesn't recruit either. LCA has an competitive advantage yes, but you won't hear that from the Phoebus program. They just line up and Play win, lose or drew. Several hear ago Phoebus played nationally ranked Dematha (Md) a private school that recruit. They lost 24-20 but no complaints. They see out the best and line up and Play just like they will do on Nov. 5th when they take on Oscar Smith. I don't think LCA is better then Smith in my opinion so if Phoebus play LCA recruitment won't matter because Phoebus plays división 4, 5 and 6A schools every year and they are undefeated going into the game with Oscar Smith. Win or lose it's great competition against a well coached 6A depending 6A state champion. Come playoffs Phoebus will be battle tested.

I stay in Chambers zone in Charlotte University area. Kids are assigned to zones to what school they attend. Chambers is hot now but not because of recruitment. They have always had good athletes but the last 10 years the coaching as been really great. Before Vance/Chambers it's was Mallard Creek. Before the Creek it was Butler, Before Butler it was Independence and then West Charlotte. Charlotte has alot of talent and don't really recruit traditionally like other hs. Every once in a while there may be a transfer if the family moves in the school zone. Chambers vs Highland Springs was an even match up with two great coaches. Chambers got the win that night. Chambers recently lost to an Undefeated Hough team in their district. Hough doesn't recruit either. LCA has an competitive advantage yes, but you won't hear that from the Phoebus program. They just line up and Play win, lose or draw. Several years ago Phoebus played nationally ranked Dematha (Md) a private school that recruits. They lost 24-20 but no complaints about recruitment from Phoebus. Phoebus seeks out the best and line up and Play just like they will do on Nov. 5th when they take on Oscar Smith. I don't think LCA is better than Smith in my opinion so if Phoebus play LCA, the recruitment won't matter because Phoebus plays división 4, 5 and 6A schools every year anyway and they are undefeated going into the game with Oscar Smith Nov 5th. Win or lose it's great competition against a well coached 6A defending 6A state champion. Come playoffs Phoebus will be battle tested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT