ADVERTISEMENT

Lord Botetourt won't play James River during the regular season, but...

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
will play in a benefit game next year. Also Lord Botetourt is (earmuffs HR6) scheduled to play Northside twice next season and still may only play 9 games, dependent upon Alleghany.

For now, Lord Botetourt will replace current nondistrict opponents James River, Fort Defiance, Spotswood and Bassett with Harrisonburg, Western Albemarle, Blacksburg (blindfold HR6) and a second game against Blue Ridge rival Northside.

That’s right. Barring a late change, Botetourt and Northside will play each other twice in 2017.

If Alleghany drops Lord Botetourt, the Cavaliers could be left with a nine-game schedule including two vs. Northside, Pound said.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_...cle_f7aa1ec9-53f7-50f2-a6d9-d5c201660bf6.html

Last edited:
What is behind Alleghany possibly dropping LB? As good of a challenge as LB presents, it's strange that they can't find plenty of suitors.

Of course, if they wear us out Friday evening, I might be the one saying, "run Forrest, run"!

Last edited:
What is behind Alleghany possibly dropping LB? As good of a challenge as LB presents, it's strange that they can't find plenty of suitors.

Of course, if they wear us out tomorrow evening, I might be the one saying, "run Forrest, run"!
Hey DP I made plans on attending the scrimmage on Friday so is it Thursday instead?

No sir, it's Friday. The Highland Springs at Thomas Dale benefit game is tomorrow.

I corrected my post above. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks kind of scared me there. I know if they changed something you would know before anybody.

I don't know about that. But I will admit to putting my football interest ahead of just about everything else.

A bunch of us are gathering over at Thomas Dale for a scrimmage at 5:00 today. Ride on over. We are going to sit on the TD side in hopes that we can catch a little shade. Just remember, don't bring what TD has declared a WMD, (also known as a cowbell)! I think 27 Generals fans were drawn and quartered last year for trying to bring them into their stadium!

Reactions: gen4ever
Incidentally, Sidleys BBQ at 3:30 today if anyone wants to join us. It's on Rt. 10, just west of TD.

Of course, if they wear us out Friday evening, I might be the one saying, "run Forrest, run"!

Well, remember that Alleghany appealed both to drop to 2A, and to move to the Three Rivers District. The VHSL denied the drop-down, but approved the move. Alleghany seems to have decided that, since they're borderline 3A/2A, they're going to fully embrace the lower classification. I sure can't speak for anyone in power at Alleghany, but apparently they've also decided that good 3A programs now present too much of a challenge. I can't think of any other reason why they would drop LB. Botetourt is not only reasonably close to Alleghany's remote location; it's also a fellow charter member of the Blue Ridge District with Alleghany, which means they've played each other every year for nearly fifty years, if not longer. Why the people in Alleghany would want to sever such a relationship, I can't fathom.

At this point, I ordinarily would say, "Maybe someone from Alleghany can weigh in," but I don't think anyone from Alleghany has ever weighed in on this forum, so.....

Another point to what you said. It's not just about football. It cuts across all athletics. For example, 3a Colonial Heights, in the Central District is way out of its league in Central District football. But routinely is as good or better than most in the CD in other sports. And, they are the geographic center of the CD. About 30 minutes or less to every district opponent. And probably 50 years or more of history too. To opt out of the CD would be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

This makes me wonder what is in the heads of the ones calling the shots in Alleghany.

Along those lines, I have advocated that districts allow their football teams to pick and choose their opponents.

Regardless of the matchup, if the rivalry, (and let's face it, "the gate"), are there, then keep playing your district schedule. But when you have a 3a team like Colonial Heights getting stomped each year by most of the 4a, 5a, and 6a teams in the district, why not let them substitute a few of the district games with opponents similar to their size and capabilities?

Maybe it would improve two things. First, more kids may come out for football, and secondly, they would stand a chance of winning more games and making it to the playoffs more regularly. Are these really bad ideas?

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT