ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa broke numerous rules regarded to VHSL

homeNabroad

VaPreps Rookie
Oct 31, 2014
Playing loud music which was fine, guy on the mic trying to hype the crowd , and a fire truck blowing it's horn right before Salem hike the ball etc, I know every school got the memo from VHSL regarding what they were allowed to do and not what they were allowed to do

Playing loud music which was fine, guy on the mic trying to hype the crowd , and a fire truck blowing it's horn right before Salem hike the ball etc, I know every school got the memo from VHSL regarding what they were allowed to do and not what they were allowed to do
The band can't play at certain times during a game much less music over a loud speaker and other artificial noises

Louisa must be a habitual rule breaker then cause that’s the jungle on every Friday night.

Reactions: Bucktown434
54-18-1 Bands-Participating schools' bands/pep bands are not allowed to play during live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation under Section 30 (Penalties/Fines) and may be defined as exces- sive unsportsmanlike conduct ($300 fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the of- fense breaking the huddle or for no huddle offenses when the offense begins getting into a formation.
54-19-1 Artificially and/or Amplified Noisemakers-The use of artificially and/or am- plified noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns, amplified guitar note or riff) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive Unsportsmanlike Conduct - $300 Fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball being handled by the snapper.

Just another example of the refs not doing their job, that coupled with the obvious/blatant one sided officiating in the 2nd half, they should fine that crew, at the very least the white cap.. I know refs are going to miss stuff and they have a hard job, but just do it fairly..

54-18-1 Bands-Participating schools' bands/pep bands are not allowed to play during live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation under Section 30 (Penalties/Fines) and may be defined as exces- sive unsportsmanlike conduct ($300 fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the of- fense breaking the huddle or for no huddle offenses when the offense begins getting into a formation.
54-19-1 Artificially and/or Amplified Noisemakers-The use of artificially and/or am- plified noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns, amplified guitar note or riff) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive Unsportsmanlike Conduct - $300 Fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball being handled by the snapper.
Yessir which Louisa broke those rules !!! Infact used Firetruck horn during field goals 3rd down attempts etc etc

Referees aren’t supposed to throw flags for sportsmanship violations. That’s why the penalties are defined as fines.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Let it go. They been doing it for years. They walk a fine line . Most times they turn music off when team breaks huddle. Occasionally they miss. Just let it go. It's their thing.

I actually think more schools should try to copy Louisa honestly. Having a great game day experience makes a huge difference in getting the community to come out. It makes the younger kids want to be a part of the program and it's just fun and creates a real football/sports atmosphere.

Great points @southbottomU and @GoBlue2109. If the Salem game administrator (AD, principal) who was present at the game had concerns they could have easily brought it to the attention of the Louisa game administrator and it could/should have been corrected. If Louisa had refused to comply then Salem could have filed a grievance with the VHSL and an investigation and penalties levied if the complaint was founded. Generally officials only handle on field play and behavior. They are also required to deal with press box clock issues and that's about it. It's football guys not freaking golf or tennis!

Let it go. They been doing it for years. They walk a fine line . Most times they turn music off when team breaks huddle. Occasionally they miss. Just let it go. It's their thing.
They been doing it for years..... Let it go.... Sounds like a teensy-weensy bit of what SOME people would be called something PRIVILIDGE. Wake up. Just because something has always been a certain way doesn't make it right. Right is Right and Wrong is wrong.

Great points @southbottomU and @GoBlue2109. If the Salem game administrator (AD, principal) who was present at the game had concerns they could have easily brought it to the attention of the Louisa game administrator and it could/should have been corrected. If Louisa had refused to comply then Salem could have filed a grievance with the VHSL and an investigation and penalties levied if the complaint was founded. Generally officials only handle on field play and behavior. They are also required to deal with press box clock issues and that's about it. It's football guys not freaking golf or tennis!
Or...Just or..... Home team follows the rules. Crazy Idea. Just follow the rules. Maybe its just me. I'm a back the blue, law and order kind of guy.

@MaroonDude, if you were a "by the book kind of guy" then you would agree with procedure. Crazy idea? Hell, if people followed the rules we wouldn't need to have sanctions. I was not present at the game and I am not implying Louisa is guilty/not guilty of violating the rules. I was simply stating the process for handling these type of situations.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@MaroonDude, if you were a "by the book kind of guy" then you would agree with procedure. Crazy idea? Hell, if people followed the rules we wouldn't need to have sanctions. I was not present at the game and I am not implying Louisa is guilty/not guilty of violating the rules. I was simply stating the process for handling these type of situations.
Or...Or.....Just follow the rules.

Reactions: lancerbob
LOl. Amen @mike salem. I respect the heck out of the Salem program and poster, but @MaroonDude, you bring some interesting flavor to this board. Yes, Louisa should follow the rules, but there has to be a process in place for those who fail to comply. Players break the rules on every play. Some are enforced and some are not. If we followed your expectations games would take 15 hours to play. Have a good day.

The lesson here is that it’s not within the purview of the officials to enforce the VHSL rules. As BN stated, that is solely the responsibility of the home team game administrator. In case some are not aware, VHSL rules require that the home team have a person be appointed as the administrator for every game. Most often, this is the AD, but it can be whomever the school decides that it will be.

That person shoulders the responsibility for all rules that govern the event, except what is the exclusive domain of the officials. There has always been a lot of misunderstanding that has led to an enormous amount of unfair criticism. Fans love to blame the officials
and/or the VHSL for every transgression, real or perceived.

A little educational effort on behalf of the VHSL could go a long way to limit some of the unfair criticism.

No one in authority at Salem filled a grevience. A couple of fans didn't like it but so what. Maybe Salem needs a jumbotron. Lots of good stuff on it, like interviews with past and present players. Also, what I understand the whole show is put together by students---what a great class to take, mass media marketing.
Now I know the Lions walk a fine line on their "show" and occasionally go a little too far. but the few Salem folks that complained need to lighten up. Not Salems cup of tea but the people there like it, so live and let live

The music didn’t bother me, the train horn when kicking extra points was what I thought was bad, and the officials can throw a delay of game or side line warning for those type antics! The music, whatever, the announcer acting a fool, whatever.. I tend to agree with MaroonDude, tules should be followed.

Salem may have a problem with the tron at city stadium in lynchburg, i know i do as it's used in an obnoxious way.

I thought the jumbo tron was awesome!! My only beef was the train horn used when it shouldn’t have

Great points @southbottomU and @GoBlue2109. If the Salem game administrator (AD, principal) who was present at the game had concerns they could have easily brought it to the attention of the Louisa game administrator and it could/should have been corrected. If Louisa had refused to comply then Salem could have filed a grievance with the VHSL and an investigation and penalties levied if the complaint was founded. Generally officials only handle on field play and behavior. They are also required to deal with press box clock issues and that's about it. It's football guys not freaking golf or tenni

2 things I noticed this year- Salem had some issues with their scoreboard this year, and their opponents last week and this week have jumbotrons. Also, Salem Stadium will host the Stagg Bowl next year. Wonder what the odds are for SS getting a jumbotron next year?
Zero chance because they use mobile jumbotrons for Stagg and CIAA

Guys, come on man. You don't play or blur fire engines or train horns after the opponent gets to the line of scrimmage. That's standard in high school and college. Make all the noise you want. Sound a jumbo jet engine throughout the game and a rocket ship, but when the opponent approaches the line of scrimmage, it's off. When the play is over, sound it as loud as you want, but doing it at the line of scrimmage? That's wrong, and it's also against the rules, regardless of whether they have been doing it since 1940.

Guys, come on man. You don't play or blur fire engines or train horns after the opponent gets to the line of scrimmage. That's standard in high school and college. Make all the noise you want. Sound a jumbo jet engine throughout the game and a rocket ship, but when the opponent approaches the line of scrimmage, it's off. When the play is over, sound it as loud as you want, but doing it at the line of scrimmage? That's wrong, and it's also against the rules, regardless of whether they have been doing it since 1940.
They were fairly good with the jumbotron , they would play it loud while in the huddle but then usually cut it off when players got to their positions. Every once in a while they would be a little late. However, The fire engine horn would go off during signals. I guess if you wanted to really point out what they did on a regular basis that's technically a violation it would be the cheerleading by the PA guy asking the crowd to make noise. All in all, no big deal.

What if the game were down to a field goal? They sounded the horn as the opposing team approaches the kick?? It just shouldn’t be done. The music and the jumbo tron was fun and cool.. The announcer was even fun to a point, but it got old after awhile. But that damn train horn, that’s bullish!t

Can't believe I followed the post this long and found the right answer. I can do you one better though, I was at a game recently where the personality PA guy was screaming into the mic during the opposing team's plays. Didn't do it when his team had the ball.

I was cheering for Louisa (they are only 20 minutes down the road from me but I always want Salem to do well in the playoffs as well so I wasn't heartbroken by any means) and what annoyed me the most was the music being played over the loudspeakers when the Salem band attempted to play. I'd rather hear the bands than music being played from the computer in the press box.

Additionally, bands used to play during play several years ago and I used to enjoy that...both as a player and a fan. It added to the atmosphere. So I don't mind the bands playing while an actual play is going on.

Reactions: WP02alum
Can't believe I followed the post this long and found the right answer. I can do you one better though, I was at a game recently where the personality PA guy was screaming into the mic during the opposing team's plays. Didn't do it when his team had the ball.
Try going to a Spotsylvania game where the PA Announcer tries to be clever and funny while yelling "We ArE sPoTsY sTrOnG!!!!!" every three minutes. It will make you want to bash your head against the nearest wall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT