9/28 vs Western Albemarle (2-8) Class 3
10/5 @ Powhatan (3-7) Class 4
10/12 @ Monticello (8-3) * Class 3
10/19 vs Orange County (5-6) * Class 5
10/26 @ Charlottesville (7-4) Class 4
11/2 vs Fluvanna County (2-8) Class 3

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
10-0...8-2 at the worst.

I agree with you on that all the way. If they get behind just put BS at tailback and hand him the ball 25 times. Should be able to win 8-10 games in the reg season and probably at least 1 playoff win no matter what. If they are anything like last years team then a state championship is in the cards but they lost a lot of quality pieces so we will need to wait and see. Maybe they have a new crop ready to step up. Hoo Knows?!

C'mon you knuckleheads, it's still April! :rolleyes:

There is another stable of running backs coming. It should be up there with the overall athletic stables Louisa has had in recent memory. Former Clarke County RB Bo Morgan's son, Robbie, is the one to watch, but he's still raw. Jarett Hunter's cousin, Teddy Hunter, is a big and fast track runner. Jarett's brother Xavien Hunter may also play, and there's also yet another Shelton. As always, the Lions' success will be determined by OL and DL play. There will be a mix of experience and inexperience on the lines. It will also be about the young talent developing chemistry and limiting turnovers, and depth. If we go by history, Louisa won't have that good of a season after losing so much talent (2007, 2011). Hopefully they can end that trend. Brandon Smith will be the ultimate senior leader, he will need to be the coach on the field. Jarett Hunter showed a lot of what he can do last season:

So we'll have to see how things play out in August and September before anyone knows more.

Last edited:
At first I started to say that the intangible extra effort for Coach Fischer would be missing this year. But truthfully, I think it will still be there. Even though he may not be the official coach any longer, he will continue to be a big part of the team. So, other than whatever the affects graduation, I look for them to be a major force again.

And man, 3b, that's a hell of a user name.

The Lions lose 19 out of 22 starters so I think the expectations should be a little tempered. Most of the 19 were also multiple year starters so they had two plus seasons to mature together. This years group will be much younger with only two real senior starters back in Guinn (OL/DL) and Smith (LB). I personally don't see Smith getting 25 carries a game. He may be the number one recruit in the state and number one ILB recruit in the country but he has hardly carried the ball at all during his career. I think a 6-4 season from the Lions and a playoff birth would be considered a success in Mineral. The only thing that really benefits Louisa is that the rest of the Jefferson District is also looking to reload to some degree so experience will be an issue on both sides in district games. I think the future is bright but there will undoubtedly be some growing pains for this group.

The Lions also lost their starting center Shaun Brown and starting linebacker Reggie Cosby for the year due to injury in the middle of last season. They might return this year as seniors, but I'd understand if they don't, and just hope they will be 100% recovered. But that would mean three returning offensive linemen and three returning linebackers, which would greatly help the transition, especially if those lineman are able to go back to playing their natural positions. Last year's JV had a couple of better DBs than varsity with more size, so hopefully they can step in quickly and contribute with Hunter returning as a lock-down corner. I will be pretty excited to see how those young DBs develop.

I would also be satisfied with a 6-4 year. Courtland will be improved, licking their chops and very tough to beat at their place for a young team. Chancellor can't go anywhere but up (plus a new defensive coordinator from Massaponax), same with Powhatan and Western Albemarle.

Louisa is in the same position Courtland was just 2-3 years ago, we lost state semifinal to Lake Taylor and then lost 25 seniors. We had a good JV team and had to rebuild for the next year going 5-5 and eaking into a playoff spot. So Louisa has 2 nice pierces coming back, hunter is a baller and wha t can you say about Smith! The truth betold is, lost 19 starters, new coach, and what has everyone got coming back? Courtland will be really good, especially on offense, they are quietly a sleeping giant right now. Smiths presence alone will keep them in most games, but even with his talent he canot cover the whole field or do it alone. I dont see him running ball alot except maybe goal line stuff, to big of a future to wreck a knee running extra plays on offense. Courtland had ax lot of Seinors last year, but it was younger players who carried the team. They will have one of the best backfields in the state, and if they will just cut the QB loose some to ma ke plays, they will be even more dynamic. Louisa is a class act, and a formidable football program, 5-5 or 6-4 would be or should be expected with thier loss of talent alone. It just totaly depends on what thier opponents have returning? Usually what happens is you have a great year or two and graduation kills you, while others who were down for a couple years have reloaded and now you are the one playing catch up, just the way it goes year to year.

Reactions: mbonape1
Louisa is in the same position Courtland was just 2-3 years ago, we lost state semifinal to Lake Taylor and then lost 25 seniors. We had a good JV team and had to rebuild for the next year going 5-5 and eaking into a playoff spot. So Louisa has 2 nice pierces coming back, hunter is a baller and wha t can you say about Smith! The truth betold is, lost 19 starters, new coach, and what has everyone got coming back? Courtland will be really good, especially on offense, they are quietly a sleeping giant right now. Smiths presence alone will keep them in most games, but even with his talent he canot cover the whole field or do it alone. I dont see him running ball alot except maybe goal line stuff, to big of a future to wreck a knee running extra plays on offense. Courtland had ax lot of Seinors last year, but it was younger players who carried the team. They will have one of the best backfields in the state, and if they will just cut the QB loose some to ma ke plays, they will be even more dynamic. Louisa is a class act, and a formidable football program, 5-5 or 6-4 would be or should be expected with thier loss of talent alone. It just totaly depends on what thier opponents have returning? Usually what happens is you have a great year or two and graduation kills you, while others who were down for a couple years have reloaded and now you are the one playing catch up, just the way it goes year to year.
Couldn’t have said it better. I expect the Cougars to have a big year as well. Best team on Louisa’s schedule, so a good measuring stick for the young Lions early in the season. Those Cougars from 2-4 years ago gave the Lions that are graduating a few good beat downs when they were still young Cubs in their freshman and sophomore years.

C'mon you knuckleheads, it's still April! :rolleyes:

There is another stable of running backs coming. It should be up there with the overall athletic stables Louisa has had in recent memory. Former Clarke County RB Bo Morgan's son, Robbie, is the one to watch, but he's still raw. Jarett Hunter's cousin, Teddy Hunter, is a big and fast track runner. Jarett's brother Xavien Hunter may also play, and there's also yet another Shelton. As always, the Lions' success will be determined by OL and DL play. There will be a mix of experience and inexperience on the lines. It will also be about the young talent developing chemistry and limiting turnovers, and depth. If we go by history, Louisa won't have that good of a season after losing so much talent (2007, 2011). Hopefully they can end that trend. Brandon Smith will be the ultimate senior leader, he will need to be the coach on the field. Jarett Hunter showed a lot of what he can do last season:

So we'll have to see how things play out in August and September before anyone knows more.
If he is even 75 percent what Bo Morgan was , you guys got something there for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT