ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa wins the Battle of the Gordonsville Tastee-Freez 22-19

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
The annual rivalry game between Louisa and Orange in The Jungle takes place tonight, with huge playoff implications for both teams. Louisa is also honoring their 2006 team. I hope it's a great game, and I hope to see a packed house like the good ol' days between these two teams.

I am going to say Louisa comes out and makes a statement tonight but it will be a shoot out. 48-42 Lions. Beating the Lions in the Jungle is going to be tough!

Wish I could go to this game. Gonna be a great one, but I think Lousia is gonna pull this one out. Orange is back on the road after three straight home games (and blowout wins) but something tells me those refs they've been using aren't gonna travel with them. Louisa 38-28

6-6 halftime. Louisa killed themselves fumbling at the goalline as they were scoring to go up two scores in the first quarter, but great game. Not as packed a house as I hoped for, but still packed! Lots of fans along the fence.

Last edited:
Great back and forth rivalry game, 22-19 Louisa with 9 minutes left in the game. Quinton Ragland beasting on defense.

Reactions: gwb16
Former announcer Chuck Moss even made the trip from Dinwiddie and called a few plays. You could tell he misses that.

Former announcer Chuck Moss even made the trip from Dinwiddie and called a few plays. You could tell he misses that.
How did Louisa do last night? Orange was kinda a popular pick to upset them seeing how they have played the last three weeks. I remember you saying you're not sure if Louisa would win another game after western. What changed?

Made more personnel changes for the third straight week and played mostly lights out on defense. Got a ton of pressure on the QB. Two of Orange's TDs were wide open passes off completely blown coverage. We did a mostly great job against that potent rushing attack. The most important things were no special teams blunders besides the blocked PAT and only 1 turnover, the goal line fumble. Cville had 7 turnovers and Orange made them pay. We lost yet another lineman on offense, hope he'll be able to return this season, and lost Cherry again, not sure how bad it is. Injury bug just won't leave. At least we're building some depth.

Made more personnel changes for the third straight week and played mostly lights out on defense. Got a ton of pressure on the QB. Two of Orange's TDs were wide open passes off completely blown coverage. We did a mostly great job against that potent rushing attack. The most important things were no special teams blunders besides the blocked PAT and only 1 turnover, the goal line fumble. Cville had 7 turnovers and Orange made them pay. We lost yet another lineman on offense, hope he'll be able to return this season, and lost Cherry again, not sure how bad it is. Injury bug just won't leave. At least we're building some depth.
I heard about the left guard leaving the game with an injury. That's just another tough oline injury. I might be wrong but I believe the only lineman who haven't missed time is the right guard and left tackle. Hope everyone gets healthy soon, cause there are really no cupcake teams for Louisa to play first round.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I heard about the left guard leaving the game with an injury. That's just another tough oline injury. I might be wrong but I believe the only lineman who haven't missed time is the right guard and left tackle. Hope everyone gets healthy soon, cause there are really no cupcake teams for Louisa to play first round.
4A East is stacked, no 1st round game will be a gimme

Yeah, the right guard and tackle are the only healthy ones now. With that said, the line played very well for the most part, which is encouraging.

Last edited:

Great game and atmosphere. You can pinpoint yours truly in the stands. :eek::D

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cville...cle_e50b7840-9e2a-11e6-926f-fbf14ad3a47d.html Great article, I hope Ron Counts sticks around for a long time, it's easy to see his passion for the game. Didn't know Louisa held Trevon Smith to 0 yards on 7 carries in the first half.
1. Take their heart, take their soul

Know how you know when you have a heck of a running game? When you can get the ball back with a 3-point lead and almost 7:00 still on the clock and the opposing offense never even sniffs the field again.

Louisa did exactly that to keep the old Tastee Freeze (with its delicious Reese’s Pieces Freezees and seasoned-salt covered fries) in Lions territory for the eighth straight year.

Even with leading rushers Malik Bell and Job Whalen nicked up, trying to stretch out aches and pains after each play, the Lions kept converting on third-and-short on a 14-play drive that began on their own 30, took the final 6:54 off the clock and tore the Hornets’ hearts right out of their chests.

The sheer size of the Lions’ backfield comes in at a combined 706 pounds, with Bell the heaviest at 258 and Whalen the lightest at 215. Raquan Jones comes in at 235.

That much beef in a scheme that keeps most guessing who’s even getting the snap will go a long way in the playoffs, which are only two weeks away.

Add that to a defensive effort that limited Orange’s rushing attack to the point that DeAngelo Hunt was its only member in positive yardage in the first half and the Lions’ coaches have to be getting excited about more than Thanksgiving turkey with November right around the corner.

Hunt had 86 yards on the ground in the first half, with 44 coming on one play. Thanks in large part to 14 yards in negative plays, Trevon Smith was limited to zero yards on seven carries in the first half.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT