ADVERTISEMENT

Magna Vista at GW Danville

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
Thoughts? The biggest game in Southside all year. MV struggled some but looks to be back to their old ways.. Winning and scoring a lot of points while doing so. New QB (Roberts), Scales at RB and a defense that includes big Jalen Pritchett and CJ Hughes (2 of the meanest players in 3a). GW comes in as one of the highest scoring teams in the state of Virginia led by a bunch of underclassman who are inexperienced but are playing like 4 year starters led by Carlos Poole. Predictions? Big playoff implications for both teams. Whoever scores 60 first wins lol!

Reactions: gwb16
I was pretty confident MV could win this one, but after bassett im not so sure. With akira being healthy they have gone back to 2 qbs switching in and out. Im just not a fan of that, seems like no rhythm, one qb plays faster the other slows the offense down. Both are good, but i think roberts fits that offense better. Both his starts he scored in the 40s. Defense has been on point all year, even against reidsville they did the best they could with our offense not moving the ball. Same will be against GW its gonna be up to the offense, if we can keep drives going and score they have a chance, but if not the Defense will wear out trying to contain poole all night.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The blueprint to beat GW is simple but, difficult to execute. You run the football down their throat and shorten the game. If you can do that without turning the ball over and allowing them to get a working margin of 2 scores they will not be patient enough and eventually beat themselves with a mistake. So far Amherst has been the only team able hold up an entire game and JF nearly did. Both Martinsville and Tunstall had early success running the ball but, neither had the patience and probably the talent to stick to that plan and wilted under the offensive onslaught after a few ill timed passes and/or turnovers. GW has a dynamic offense but, they have yet to prove they have a defense that can tackle and the toughness to survive a battle in the trenches.

Two things have occurred that make this one a toss up.

First, Anville has found a little "d". Mind you, it's not a capital letter yet, but they are getting there.

MV started this season like they usually do. Acting like fools sometimes, drawing unnecessary penalties, playing with TOO much of an attitude. Swagger is a good thing, being stupid is not. But like most seasons, they calm down and become more disciplined.

Whomever wins this one, it should not be a surprise to anyone. About the only thing that would surprise me is a point total less than 50. I can see a 48 to 54 final score.

I really think GW wins this game easy. GW plays no D but magna vista does not have a great offense either. Magna Vista has a OK D but a good offense always beats a OK D. GW wins 49-28

I really think GW wins this game easy. GW plays no D but magna vista does not have a great offense either. Magna Vista has a OK D but a good offense always beats a OK D. GW wins 49-28
I hope you are right Pioneer. GW needs to play like they played against y'all in August. One thing I can say is GW is battletested this year. Amherst, JF and even LCA were great tests. Dont think we'll see any more LaLa Davis, Ross or Hackworths in district play.. MV has some cats on D that scare me. We moved the ball on them well last year and MV's D was much better than it is this year. I'm confident our offense (who's A LOT better than last year) can show up and play. Carlos Poole is the man! He's the difference in a 2nd round playoff exit and a state semi team. He's that good.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I hope you are right Pioneer. GW needs to play like they played against y'all in August. One thing I can say is GW is battletested this year. Amherst, JF and even LCA were great tests. Dont think we'll see any more LaLa Davis, Ross or Hackworths in district play.. MV has some cats on D that scare me. We moved the ball on them well last year and MV's D was much better than it is this year. I'm confident our offense (who's A LOT better than last year) can show up and play.
I just hope that nobody loses their cool and throws a punch. You know what that would mean. After all, they are not exactly on each other's Christmas card list.

I just hope that nobody loses their cool and throws a punch. You know what that would mean. After all, they are not exactly on each other's Christmas card list.
Danville is slowly but surely losing that stigma. Good kids in the programs with fathers in the home. I'm hopeful they can go far this year. Won't make it to Danville this year. Will be cheering my Blue Devils on against Henrico. I'll definitely have my ears glued to Chuck and Clark as they do a wonderful job broadcasting the GW games. I'm hopeful that my hometown guys pull it out, but won't be surprised if the boys from Leatherwood/Axton/Ridgeway/Horsepasture pull it out!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Danville is slowly but surely losing that stigma. Good kids in the programs with fathers in the home. I'm hopeful they can go far this year. Won't make it to Danville this year. Will be cheering my Blue Devils on against Henrico. I'll definitely have my ears glued to Chuck and Clark as they do a wonderful job broadcasting the GW games. I'm hopeful that my hometown guys pull it out, but won't be surprised if the boys from Leatherwood/Axton/Ridgeway/Horsepasture pull it out!
Actually, I'm more concerned about the rogues at MV than your Danville boys. It's better now, but early in the season I was afraid that coach had about lost control.

Are Leatherwood and Horsepasture really the names of towns? Lol

It'll just be me this week. Clarke is at a God-forsaken Lawyer's conference! :)

Looking at playoff implications. According to power points looks like win or lose Magna Vista is no doubt going to make the playoffs. But for GW in region 4d what are the chances of GW missing the playoffs at 8-2 if Magna Vista wins?

Looking at playoff implications. According to power points looks like win or lose Magna Vista is no doubt going to make the playoffs. But for GW in region 4d what are the chances of GW missing the playoffs at 8-2 if Magna Vista wins?
Won't look too good for us. We should make the playoffs with 2 losses but then all the work (scheduling the Seminole teams) to get a top 2 seed will be thrown out the window. We need to win out and help by Louisa, JF and Amherst to be the 1 seed.

Won't look too good for us. We should make the playoffs with 2 losses but then all the work (scheduling the Seminole teams) to get a top 2 seed will be thrown out the window. We need to win out and help by Louisa, JF and Amherst to be the 1 seed.
GW will need help from Pulaski this week against Blacksburg too. Salem for that matter as well. GW is currently sitting at 5th place right now. I don’t know if GW could get the 1 spot even if they did win out just because the remainder of there schedule is so week. A two loss Glass, Cville or Blacksburg would still be #1 over a one loss GW.

GW will need help from Pulaski this week against Blacksburg too. Salem for that matter as well. GW is currently sitting at 5th place right now. I don’t know if GW could get the 1 spot even if they did win out just because the remainder of there schedule is so week. A two loss Glass, Cville or Blacksburg would still be #1 over a one loss GW.
Vols correct me if I'm wrong.. GW still has 6a Franklin County, 5a Halifax and 4a Bassett. GW won't jump any of those teams in front of them? Plus if Amherst and JF continue to win?

Vols correct me if I'm wrong.. GW still has 6a Franklin County, 5a Halifax and 4a Bassett. GW won't jump any of those teams in front of them? Plus if Amherst and JF continue to win?
I could be wrong but I don’t see how they would get enough rider points from those three teams. They have a total of 6 wins between the three of them I believe. So GW will get bonus points for beating the bigger schools but won’t get any extra points if those teams don’t continue to win. Whereas a team like CVille or Glass will continue to get rider points from teams like Brookville, Heritage, Monticello, and Louisa continuing to win. Of course this is just my prediction. It’s not necessarily 100% garunteed.... If this makes sense.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I don’t see how they would get enough rider points from those three teams. They have a totoal of 6 wins between the three of them I believe. So GW will get bonus points for beating the bigger schools but won’t get any extra points if those teams don’t continue to win. Whereas a team like CVille or Glass will continue to get rider points from teams like Brookville, Heritage, Monticello, and Louisa continuing to win. Of course this is just my prediction. It’s not necessarily 100% garunteed.... If this makes sense.
Thanks boss! Makes sense!

Reactions: VolNation85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT