ADVERTISEMENT

Magna Vista vs G. W

That JF game Magna Vista was without 4 starting D line players and 3 off plays and the Gw passing game will get tested can't throw when you got pressure coming at you

Well mvwarrior, I'll be rooting for Magna Vista. You may not have seen a post or two I put up abou a year ago? I went to the championship games in Lynchburg "without a horse in the race" as they say, last year. My brother-in-law and I sat in the area of a large contingent of MV fans. We had the time of our life. And I have gotten to know the one family that we were sitting directly behind quite well, in the past year. (FYI, my crazy b-i-l could make friends with a wooden Indian. He has never known a fence post he wouldn't talk to).

Honestly, I probably couldn't have put you in the right region of the state where MV is before that game. But since that time, my new friends from out there have sent me pictures, told me stories, and just generally educated me on the people, places, and history of that area. So, I guess you can say that I'm pretty much a die hard fan of MV now. And hopefully I have gained their support for our team and school here in Dinwiddie.

But having said that, I must tell you that Bleeding Navy is one of the smartest and best informed football fans that I know. He originally came from the Roanoke area, and his parents still live there. He recently told me not to under estimate GW. So, even though I'm pulling hard for MV, I really need to think about who I will pick in Mike's pool. I will pick his brain some more, but your critical analysis will help both him and I make an informed pick.

So thank you and the other guys for posting good stuff on here, for both teams.

DP

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
GW has done well on defense. Of their last 7 opponents, they have 10 wins among them. Really can't say much if you play Spotsylvania and Caroline every week. At least MV's opponents have 30 wins.

Here's the deal. GW has dominated every opponent except the one game in NC. That's good for them. There was no let down or complacency. But there has not been a VA opponent worth a lick. If they play an LT schedule or a Chancellor schedule, their performance is not near the same. IMO.

So the doubts will remain until they prove otherwise. I think MV beats them by 10+.

Reactions: mvwarrior
First and foremost, I'll have to say, GW's passing game isn't missing a beat despite the numbers as they've been really leaning on the running game. I think Sam Branch's arm is much stronger than Hunter Byrnes' arm and he makes great decisions (I don't think he's even thrown a pick this year). GW's receivers are also probably the best they've had since the 07 year when they had 4 receivers who all went D1. They have 5 players this year who can take it the distance a lot like MV's receivers last year, who were probably the best receivers I've seen in a while. I'd imagine Donald Smith will probably be checked by Johnston or Redd (probably both) all night but you also need to cover Guzman, Ballard, Glass, and TEs Malek Henderson and Curtis Brooks. Also throw in Graves, Forrest and Griffin who can all take it the distance, much like Jaq Hairston for MV with Graves being the feature back of the bunch for GW. GW has A LOT of weapons. MV has to bring their A game if they want to win as GW remembers the last time Magna Vista came to town back in 2013 and gave them an absolute beat down in the second half. MV, athletically, is almost identical to GW and if they can find a way to score on GW then I think it's anybody's game, but if not, GW will lay it on you. They're very aggressive and plays with a chip on their shoulder. I wouldn't punt it to CJ Graves either. People talk about David Wilson (who had a little more size and played a 3A schedule back in the old format), but Graves looks a lot like this guy. Wilson was a speed guy, danced a lot to hit the edge. Graves is a straight ahead runner and loves contacts. Yes, I compared him to David Wilson. Kid's that good. Don't let the "he only did that against Patrick County" fool you. Should be a good game. GL to both teams.

GW has done well on defense. Of their last 7 opponents, they have 10 wins among them. Really can't say much if you play Spotsylvania and Caroline every week. At least MV's opponents have 30 wins.

Here's the deal. GW has dominated every opponent except the one game in NC. That's good for them. There was no let down or complacency. But there has not been a VA opponent worth a lick. If they play an LT schedule or a Chancellor schedule, their performance is not near the same. IMO.

So the doubts will remain until they prove otherwise. I think MV beats them by 10+.
Tell me a little bit about this year's GW team Shaunty other than they lost "50 TD production" from last year...What are some of GW's biggest weaknesses and what player on their team do you think can help them overcome this? I'm very interested.

Yeah, I have to agree with you Shaunty. If GW had struggled with some of the weak teams, then I think we would have an easier time picking the winner and loser. A couple of guys on here with a better handle on the quality of GWhave said they could be something special this year. Back in 2013, we marched through our regular season schedule with ease, and evetbody said "they ain't played any good teams yet". Admittedly, our scheduled had three or four fairly tough teams, so we were not in the same situation tha GW is in. I worry we all may be making the same wrong assumption. One thing is certain, we will have a much better idea by about 10:00 pm this Friday.

Thanks MV, I've already greatly enjoyed my association with the school and the area. Yes, the Warriors hold a special place in my heart. But, everybodies team on here becomes a team I cheer for and follow to some extent. At least until they give me a reason not too.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to attend a game at "The Hole". Isn't that what you call it?

From what I'm reading everyone is expecting this to be a great game and it should be. I will say and I'm sure many true Warriors will support this point that the Warriors have continued to improve tremendously each week. So if any observations are to be made they need to be made based on the improvements each week instead of a performance in weeks 1-4. MV lives by the quote "it's not how you start but how you finish". And that was proven last year when they suffered their only lost to GW but they brought the state championship trophy home along with the rings. Again this should be a great game because MV has been on GW's mind since MV played William Byrd which was GW's bye week because instead of scouting their upcoming opponent Franklin County they were scouting MV. What message were they sending their other 6 opponents that they had to face before MV? And while they were skipping over other opponents to focus on MV, MV has been focusing on improving themselves week by week for the opponent they faced the next week. But everybody operates differently. I have confidence in the MV coaching staff that they will prepare their players this week for a battle and the players will come ready to play like the champions they are.

GO WARRIORS!!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yeah, I have to agree with you Shaunty. If GW had struggled with some of the weak teams, then I think we would have an easier time picking the winner and loser. A couple of guys on here with a better handle on the quality of GWhave said they could be something special this year. Back in 2013, we marched through our regular season schedule with ease, and evetbody said "they ain't played any good teams yet". Admittedly, our scheduled had three or four fairly tough teams, so we were not in the same situation tha GW is in. I worry we all may be making the same wrong assumption. One thing is certain, we will have a much better idea by about 10:00 pm this Friday.

Thanks MV, I've already greatly enjoyed my association with the school and the area. Yes, the Warriors hold a special place in my heart. But, everybodies team on here becomes a team I cheer for and follow to some extent. At least until they give me a reason not too.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to attend a game at "The Hole". Isn't that what you call it?

Yes DinwiddieProud it is called The Hole. We welcome you to visit The Hole maybe during playoffs that start next week.

Tell me a little bit about this year's GW team Shaunty other than they lost "50 TD production" from last year...What are some of GW's biggest weaknesses and what player on their team do you think can help them overcome this? I'm very interested.
Their weakness is they've played no one. Anyone can look like world beaters against poor opponents. playoffs will tell the final story. At least They can finally pull out a measuring stick when they play MV. What is the most games any VA team they've played this year has won? 2? Based on that alone, you have got to expect doubters.

Don't worry. I'll be here if you get to say I told you so. GL on Friday.

Their weakness is they've played no one. Anyone can look like world beaters against poor opponents. playoffs will tell the final story. At least They can finally pull out a measuring stick when they play MV. What is the most games any VA team they've played this year has won? 2? Based on that alone, you have got to expect doubters.

Don't worry. I'll be here if you get to say I told you so. GL on Friday.
Magna Vista plays the same schedule GW plays and won a state championship to show for it last year. I'm not buying it.

Magna Vista plays the same schedule GW plays and won a state championship to show for it last year. I'm not buying it.
MV is also 3A, not 4. There are lots of 4A teams better than GW right out of the chute and that's just in the West. Like I said, I won't be hiding if you'd like to say I told you so. GL Friday.

I wouldn't get too excited over the defenses for either team in those 6 game stretches. They were against Franklin Co, Martinsville, Tunstall, Bassett, Halifax, & Patrick Co. I think they have combined to win 15 games. Of those 15 wins, 10 were picked up by beating one another. That's not to say these teams aren't capable of good defense, but how they played these 6 teams aren't worth mentioning. GW has shown better defense than Magna Vista so far, only giving up 28 to Vance. MV gave up 53 to JF & 40 to William Byrd. It will be interesting to see how they how matchup against one another. I think GW should be the favorite by a couple TD's imo.

Yes DinwiddieProud it is called The Hole. We welcome you to visit The Hole maybe during playoffs that start next week.

Thanks, but only if we get knocked from the playoffs. All though, if you happen to have a Sat. vs a Fri. game, or reverse, I'll consider making the 8 hour round trip. I love you man, but that's a tough trip on a Friday night!

Shauntclair and also that JF game and DR games were very early in the season and since when have they played from behind other than JF....get your facts right before you post.just saying!!!!

Once playoffs start, schedule will get tougher for both GW and MV. Gonna be more tougher for GW since they are D4,

Mike I think you're talking about kid with Salem incident, he changed his number to 42 I'm pretty sure, and we did have 3 dl out against JF and a starting linebacker #13, who played a significant role last year in playoffs as # 38. Totally agree with lancerfirst that MV has improved every game in every aspect. #73 has had injury issues but is back and he is a difference maker on the DL.

Reactions: mike salem
Mike I think you're talking about kid with Salem incident, he changed his number to 42 I'm pretty sure, and we did have 3 dl out against JF and a starting linebacker #13, who played a significant role last year in playoffs as # 38. Totally agree with lancerfirst that MV has improved every game in every aspect. #73 has had injury issues but is back and he is a difference maker on the DL.
Yeah thanks for correcting me and I'm glad they changed his number too. Magna Vista looks improved since the beginning of the year. GW will be a good test and prepare them well for the playoffs. GL to the Warriors.

Shauntclair and also that JF game and DR games were very early in the season and since when have they played from behind other than JF....get your facts right before you post.just saying!!!!
Which team are we talking about here and please paste my quote where I said someone played from behind.

Lol DinwiddieProud! Yeah I agree 8 hours round trip is a little much! Maybe we should all go in together and buy timeshares all over the state just for this type issue! Lol! Take care of yourself DinwiddieProud good luck to your team this playoff season!

We wouldn't need those timeshares if Mike Salem would make his Bell Agusta AW609 and pilot available to us sometimes! We wouldn't even be greedy and ask for his cabin attendants and his provisions. We could bring our own caviar!

And best wishes to you as well, mvwarrior. May we be fortunate enough to meet while cheering our teams in Lynchburg next month.

We wouldn't need those timeshares if Mike Salem would make his Bell Agusta AW609 and pilot available to us sometimes! We wouldn't even be greedy and ask for his cabin attendants and his provisions. We could bring our own caviar!

And best wishes to you as well, mvwarrior. May we be fortunate enough to meet while cheering our teams in Lynchburg next month.
Don't I wish, I can barely finance a trip to the library.

MV, did you see the Byrd game in person? Is Basham as good as reported?

Also, I sent you an email on the conversation feature if you want to check it out.

MV, did you see the Byrd game in person? Is Basham as good as reported?

Also, I sent you an email on the conversation feature if you want to check it out.
Basham is only a Soph so when you take that into consideration then yes he's that good. He is Carlos "Boogie" Basham's cousin, DE from Northside that just accepted a scholarship to a D1 school, Wake Forest I think. Northside stopped him effectively, Salem contained him pretty well except for a KO return. He has pretty good size, decent speed, and good instincts. He can run, catch well out of the backfield, and good on special teams. Looks pretty good especially for a Sophomore.

Carlos B is exclusively a defensive player isn't he? I though they were planning to give him the ball some this year. As big as he is, he has to be a great short yardage back.

Younger cousin appears to be a game changer already. Just imagine what he will be like over the next two years.

Carlos B is exclusively a defensive player isn't he? I though they were planning to give him the ball some this year. As big as he is, he has to be a great short yardage back.

Younger cousin appears to be a game changer already. Just imagine what he will be like over the next two years.
Carlos is used as a TE for blocking, but can also catch the ball pretty well.

I did not catch the Byrd game but a close friend whom is a regular poster on this site gave me play by play. He said that MV really didn't have an answer for Basham. He single handedly took it to MV.
I did however see the young man last year when Byrd came to MV and ran all over MV for 207 yards in the first half alone! He was only a freshman then and you could tell he was something special. That was against, in my opinion a better MV defense than this years. But again that's my opinion.
He has a good chance to break Byrd's OJ Thomason's Va record for most rushing yards in a career at 7,536.

MV is also 3A, not 4. There are lots of 4A teams better than GW right out of the chute and that's just in the West. Like I said, I won't be hiding if you'd like to say I told you so. GL Friday.
Just stop it now. Like I said, no bias-ness here, but that's absurd especially when you have zero knowledge about the team and just basing it off of bitterness and emotion (let the Courtland game last year go my man) and because they lost "50 TD's", which 16 different players have scored this year with Graves having 6 TDs on special teams. GW limited big plays against a Vance team that's probably a couple TDs better than MV (8 D1 recruits, no disrespect MV). GW's achilles heel has been turnovers in their past two loses (Salem and Vance). If GW limits those then it will be an up hill battle for the boys from Ridgeway. If Basham and Jones ran over their defense the way that they did, then I'd expect Graves to do the same. I think this is the most evenly matched game this week, but in the end, GW has been just a tad bit more impressive than MV has so far and I'd give them the edge.

Last edited:
GW will also have to contain Hairston. He can and will beat you, ask Lafeyette. GW also will have to keep the heat on Johnston and Redd, make their other receivers beat you. Won't be like talking about it, but with the skill positions on defense as good as GW's, I wouldn't count it out.

Just stop it now. Like I said, no bias-ness here, but that's absurd especially when you have zero knowledge about the team and just basing it off of bitterness and emotion (let the Courtland game last year go my man) and because they lost "50 TD's", which 16 different players have scored this year with Graves having 6 TDs on special teams. GW limited big plays against a Vance team that's probably a couple TDs better than MV (8 D1 recruits, no disrespect MV). GW's achilles heel has been turnovers in their past two loses (Salem and Vance). If GW limits those then it will be an up hill battle for the boys from Ridgeway. If Basham and Jones ran over their defense the way that they did, then I'd expect Graves to do the same. I think this is the most evenly matched game this week, but in the end, GW has been just a tad bit more impressive than MV has so far and I'd give them the edge.
I didn't see the Vance game but, I would disagree with your assessment that GW's Achilles heel is turnovers in their recent losses. GW's Achilles heel in recent losses is a combination of two things in my opinion. First their placement in the Piedmont and the lack of many tough OOD games means they are woefully unfamiliar with any real competition they play in the regular season or will face as they move deeper in the playoffs. Second, as the competition gets better the speed and talent gap closes placing more of a premium on playing sound, fundamental, tough football. Anderson's teams so far are much better than the cupcakes Teague fielded, however, there is still a ways to go before they are considered a legitimate threat at the state level.

Not bitter at all. Last year was last year. Courtland played GW like they played KG 2 weeks ago. They screwed the pooch. That's all on them and there was no "next week". Disappointing end but no bitterness at all.

Plenty of "ifs" in your approach to this game but I understand how you'd give an edge to GW. If you measure each team against similar opponents (and there are plenty of those), GW has scored more points and yielded fewer than MV. That's a quantitative measure that cannot be ignored. But I still feel that with their schedule, GW has to prove themselves. MV is not a grinder team so GW doesn't have to worry about being over powered like they would against Salem, Sherando, JF, Pulaski or even Amherst. It's actually GW's type of game. I'm just gut checking a solid 3A team here in MV because I don't think GW has played a team that can fight back. Good test for both entering the playoffs. You're lucky to be able to see it live. GL on Friday.

I didn't see the Vance game but, I would disagree with your assessment that GW's Achilles heel is turnovers in their recent losses. GW's Achilles heel in recent losses is a combination of two things in my opinion. First their placement in the Piedmont and the lack of many tough OOD games means they are woefully unfamiliar with any real competition they play in the regular season or will face as they move deeper in the playoffs. Second, as the competition gets better the speed and talent gap closes placing more of a premium on playing sound, fundamental, tough football. Anderson's teams so far are much better than the cupcakes Teague fielded, however, there is still a ways to go before they are considered a legitimate threat at the state level.
I haven't seen them this year, but another big reason GW lost to Salem last year was the inability to stop the run game. Their DL was getting pushed back a few yards about every play.

This year Salem's line has been banged up all year. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Salem has had 6 or 7 OL that have missed games due to injury. Luckily only one was season ending, but it was to one of our best in Barnette. The good thing about injuries when they are not season ending is you get a lot of guys experience and they are better prepared when called on.

GW has never lacked for skill players, but a big question mark to me is have they made improvement on the DL?

Salem's defense has been a big surprise this year. The addition of Deangelo Ramsey to the DE position opposite his brother has been the biggest improvement to the team. When they bring pressure it's hard to stop. In the middle Fox, Close, and Howell have been pretty effective with limiting runs up the middle. The secondary is young, but they seem to be making improvements each week. There are 3 or 4 sophomores that start or contribute significantly to the secondary. With the increased pressure coming at the QB it has forced bad throws and more interceptions. If Salem and GW meet again this year it will be interesting to see who has maintained last year's level of success. With both teams schedules being weak with the exception of a couple of games it's hard to judge what would happen.

I haven't seen them this year, but another big reason GW lost to Salem last year was the inability to stop the run game. Their DL was getting pushed back a few yards about every play.

This year Salem's line has been banged up all year. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Salem has had 6 or 7 OL that have missed games due to injury. Luckily only one was season ending, but it was to one of our best in Barnette. The good thing about injuries when they are not season ending is you get a lot of guys experience and they are better prepared when called on.

GW has never lacked for skill players, but a big question mark to me is have they made improvement on the DL?

Salem's defense has been a big surprise this year. The addition of Deangelo Ramsey to the DE position opposite his brother has been the biggest improvement to the team. When they bring pressure it's hard to stop. In the middle Fox, Close, and Howell have been pretty effective with limiting runs up the middle. The secondary is young, but they seem to be making improvements each week. There are 3 or 4 sophomores that start or contribute significantly to the secondary. With the increased pressure coming at the QB it has forced bad throws and more interceptions. If Salem and GW meet again this year it will be interesting to see who has maintained last year's level of success. With both teams schedules being weak with the exception of a couple of games it's hard to judge what would happen.
You are right about the line play Mike and that gets to fundamentals and toughness. In my opinion, toughness is a challenge for most spread teams that rely on movement, finesse and athleticism. GW has always had skill players and speed but, line play was the gold standard through the 90's but, not so much since then. Deangelo has had a big impact on the defensive side of the ball which speaks to his athletic ability. It is also a testament to the depth and program structure at Salem when the potentially best RB in the program is paying his dues as a sophomore DE. IMO if GW and Salem play again this year in the playoffs the game will not be as close as last year all things remaining as they are now. Of course injuries could affect the matchup or Anderson could decide to use some of his better athletes in positions where they can impact the game on a more regular basis.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Not bitter at all. Last year was last year. Courtland played GW like they played KG 2 weeks ago. They screwed the pooch. That's all on them and there was no "next week". Disappointing end but no bitterness at all.

Plenty of "ifs" in your approach to this game but I understand how you'd give an edge to GW. If you measure each team against similar opponents (and there are plenty of those), GW has scored more points and yielded fewer than MV. That's a quantitative measure that cannot be ignored. But I still feel that with their schedule, GW has to prove themselves. MV is not a grinder team so GW doesn't have to worry about being over powered like they would against Salem, Sherando, JF, Pulaski or even Amherst. It's actually GW's type of game. I'm just gut checking a solid 3A team here in MV because I don't think GW has played a team that can fight back. Good test for both entering the playoffs. You're lucky to be able to see it live. GL on Friday.
Appreciate your reasoning Staunty. We'll see in the coming weeks. It should be exciting. If my VCU Rams weren't playing I'd be there, but it'll be on the WBTM app if you'd like to hear the GW/MV game live. Should be an exciting game.

I saw the Vance game. This game was lost by line play, and the center hiking the ball high a lot. Vance was in the backfield on almost every play. I dont even think GW threw an interception this game, matter of fact GW defense had 3 interceptions. Even with those 3 int they only put up 7 points. Vance had 2 touchdowns called back for holding. Don't get me wrong Vance was good, but they have lost 4 games this year. GW did pick up yardage in the game, but couldnt punch it in for points. I will take in consideration this was GW second game, and I am sure they have improved over the last few weeks, and got some things fixed. Should be a good one Friday.

GW has a good defense and they will score lots of points in a hurry! Despite all the hype about this game it won't be close GW will win big. Now about the Vance game I was there and GW couldn't even snap the ball to THE QB that's how Vance scored. GW turned the ball over in the red zone 3 times. The score was 7-0 at halftime. GW has too many weapons for Magna Vista. Hope MV has more than just the QB and RB that they had last year! GL look forward to the playoffs

GW has a good defense and they will score lots of points in a hurry! Despite all the hype about this game it won't be close GW will win big. Now about the Vance game I was there and GW couldn't even snap the ball to THE QB that's how Vance scored. GW turned the ball over in the red zone 3 times. The score was 7-0 at halftime. GW has too many weapons for Magna Vista. Hope MV has more than just the QB and RB that they had last year! GL look forward to the playoffs
Lewis we have very similar views. MV has Tre Redd who has signed with Wake Forest and Devin Johnston who will play at the next level, maybe at the FCS level. They have a very good defense led by Redd, Johnston, Jason Scales, Tre Brunson, and Keon Taylor. They'll be ready..My take is, if they couldn't stop Basham and Jones in the Byrd and JF games, respectively, then they will have trouble stopping Forrest, Griffin, and Graves. GW IMO just has too many weapons. Donald Smith and Tim Glass will present match-up problems for MV and anyone else GW meets in the playoffs. Also all of Vance's loses have been dealt by top tier teams in NC and South Carolina. They lost to Mallard Creek by 1 (ALWAYS NATIONALLY ranked), lost to SC powerhouse South Pointe by a score, lost to a very good and 4AA contender Kannapolis Brown, and lost again to another ranked opponent. Vance will be in the hunt for the NC 4A championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lewis918777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT