ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville Bulldawgs/Magna Vista Highlights

The mountain girls have been doin' damage, no doubt. When it comes to MHS it's not hype. We have won titles, so no hype there.

No hype concerning Martinsville, never is... Even their down years, they can win it all. Jeff Adkins knows how to get the best out of the kids. Had he been the coach in 09 and 2010, the Dawgs would have 17 championships.

Pettway isn’t going to G’town but he may be, athletically, the best PG McClung sees on the high school level. Pettway is victim of not playing major AAU ball. Seen PGs a lot less talented than Pettway go D1. Yeah GC is real good, but they haven’t played a good team outside their environment all year. We’ll see what’s up when the real season starts.

The Arby's is GCs environment?? News to me

I guess no one else should even show up, seeing as how Mahavi is always the best team every year.

It's Mavahi. And remember you're arguing with a dude from Danville and now living in Richmond about Martinsville before you get too carried away with sarcasm.

No wonder he don't ever want to travel. He has the state finals in his backyard every year. Lol.

I have no affiliation with Martinsville. Don’t like them for obvious rivalry reasons but I support and respect them, always. Won’t hear a lot of Danville people defend the Dawgs because we just don’t like each other, but it’s always respect. Just know the Bulldawgs time is March. Mayberrite, that’s right. Ram alum. SWVA fan, don’t mind traveling for a good game, just not 7 hours away.

Reactions: AntGZee
I have no affiliation with Martinsville. Don’t like them for obvious rivalry reasons but I support and respect them, always. Won’t hear a lot of Danville people defend the Dawgs because we just don’t like each other, but it’s always respect. Just know the Bulldawgs time is March. Mayberrite, that’s right. Ram alum. SWVA fan, don’t mind traveling for a good game, just not 7 hours away.

But SWVA teams have been having to make trips like that for years

But SWVA teams have been having to make trips like that for years

You know, I guess I should have bitched and moaned all those years I had to travel to Salem, Radford, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Norfolk, Richmond and hell last year, I went to Buchanan, then the very next week had to go to Harrisonburg.

Wise Central folks last year had to go to Buchanan one week, the next week to Harrisonburg, the next week to Richmond.

Gate City and Richlands folks both did the Buchanan/Harrisonburg back to back weeks last year.

Gate City had to go to VCU back to back weekends a couple of years ago.

But that's the thing! Us SWVA folks don't whine and complain about it, we just load up the car and hit the road.

@BigWinners we really should start complaining. Hell, if we can't beat em, might as well join em, right? Maybe if we whine enough, maybe we can at least get the finals moved from VCU to Tech at the very least or something. Lol.

Reactions: BigWinners
You know, I guess I should have bitched and moaned all those years I had to travel to Salem, Radford, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Norfolk, Richmond and hell last year, I went to Buchanan, then the very next week had to go to Harrisonburg.

Wise Central folks last year had to go to Buchanan one week, the next week to Harrisonburg, the next week to Richmond.

Gate City and Richlands folks both did the Buchanan/Harrisonburg back to back weeks last year.

But that's the thing! Us SWVA folks don't whine and complain about it, we just load up the car and hit the road.

@BigWinners we really should start complaining. Hell, if we can't beat em, might as well join em, right? Maybe if we whine enough, maybe we can at least get the finals moved from VCU to Tech at the very least or something. Lol.
I wouldn’t be mad at that at all. All state finals should be played in Lynchburg anyway.

I didn't care for going out to Wise 2 years. That's one ride that I didn't enjoy at all.

I loved going to Wise. Put on my Folk Soul Revival cd and sang all the way there. To much is being made of travel. If you are lucky enough to make it far in the playoffs load up the car and go, no matter how far. If you can't or don't want to travel, listen to it or watch on the internet. The kids don't care, they just want to win a state championship no matter where it's at.

Last edited:

I remember when PV played for a state title years back, we had to travel literally across the entire state. I'm not exaggerating.

Martinsville is only a three and a half hour drive from Wise. SWVA makes trips like that on the regular. Look at a team like Richlands, some of their travel is crazy. Same with Ridgeview/old Clintwood and Haysi.

I loved going to Wise. Put on my Folk Soul Revival cd and sang all the way there. To much is being made of travel. If you are lucky enough to make it far in the playoffs load up the car and go, no matter how far. If you can't or don't want to travel, listen to it or watch on the internet. The kids don't care, they just want to win a state championship no matter where it's at.

THIS 1000000% percent! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This guy gets it! Can't like this post enough.

I didn't care for going out to Wise 2 years. That's one ride that I didn't enjoy at all.

I can think of much WORSE SWVA high schools to have to travel to.

You've never seen middle of nowhere places in SWVA until you've been to places like Hurley, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, Twin Valley (absolute worst by far, turn off the four lane onto a road for 30 minutes with no lines painted on it and steep drop offs with no guardrail)

Bratcher is a tough basketball and football player. I'm not sure where he's going to school. Where ever he goes, he will do well in sports and the classroom. Good kid indeed.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I can think of much WORSE SWVA high schools to have to travel to.

You've never seen middle of nowhere places in SWVA until you've been to places like Hurley, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, Twin Valley (absolute worst by far, turn off the four lane onto a road for 30 minutes with no lines painted on it and steep drop offs with no guardrail)
That must be a terrible experience for someone from SWVA to have to drive 30 minutes off the 4 lane.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
EJ is 6'3" 230-240. Played te and wr on offense and really came on this year at de. Center on the bball team and is a really explosive athlete who can jump out of the gym. You wouldn't expect it when you see him, but he's very athletic. And he is an even better person, great kid.

Reactions: AntGZee
Which sport? The football program is def on the upswing for the Cavs, it's in better shape than Emory by far.

Yeah, Emory needs a new coach bad. Anytime you lose a game where all you had to do was kneel on it and run the clock out... That's inexcusable.

Wise is looking good, but unfortunately plays in the one of the toughest D2 conferences in the nation for all sports. If Wise played in Conference Carolinas like their (almost) next door neighbor King, they could probably compete. But Conference Carolinas doesn't have football, so Wise is stuck in the Mountain East.

EJ is 6'3" 230-240. Played te and wr on offense and really came on this year at de. Center on the bball team and is a really explosive athlete who can jump out of the gym. You wouldn't expect it when you see him, but he's very athletic. And he is an even better person, great kid.
Reminds me a lot of Ron Pritchett who played for Martinsville and went on to UR a few years back. Very similar.

Believe EJ is a better all around athlete than Pritchett. Also a harder worker. Just my opinion though

Yeah, Emory needs a new coach bad. Anytime you lose a game where all you had to do was kneel on it and run the clock out... That's inexcusable.

Wise is looking good, but unfortunately plays in the one of the toughest D2 conferences in the nation for all sports. If Wise played in Conference Carolinas like their (almost) next door neighbor King, they could probably compete. But Conference Carolinas doesn't have football, so Wise is stuck in the Mountain East.

I begrudgingly root for Emory in girls bball and golf now because I know some of the kids but I'll never ever root for the football team. The last time they played at UVAW, they showed their ass big time and yet choked in the most epic way possible. It was sweet.

I begrudgingly root for Emory in girls bball and golf now because I know some of the kids but I'll never ever root for the football team. The last time they played at UVAW, they showed their ass big time and yet choked in the most epic way possible. It was sweet.

The way Emory basketball is laid out sucks. The women and men rarely play the same night and if they do, then either the men are at home and the women are away, or vice versa. Take last night for example. The women played Roanoke at home, the men played Roanoke away. Emory men is currently ranked 19th in the D3 poll, but will probably drop out next week since they lost last night. King and Wise both play men and women same night both at home or both away, unless it's non conference, then usually it's only men only or women only. Since I started living in Bristol, I have been a King follower and go to all their home games unless it conflicts with a Ridgeview game that I can go to on the same night.

Agreed. I played a couple years at Concord in the MEC and my last 2 at Emory and I laughed when I heard UVA Wise was moving to the MEC. Thought there was no way they could compete in that division, but they have definitely proved me wrong. What they've done in their few seasons in the MEC is quite impressive and it appears they're trending up. Quite the opposite of what's going on at Emory. I imagine Newsome will be on the hot seat if he has another year like the last one. Speaking of UVA wise & Emory, I will leave you with a play that still haunts my dreams....

Agreed. I played a couple years at Concord in the MEC and my last 2 at Emory and I laughed when I heard UVA Wise was moving to the MEC. Thought there was no way they could compete in that division, but they have definitely proved me wrong. What they've done in their few seasons in the MEC is quite impressive and it appears they're trending up. Quite the opposite of what's going on at Emory. I imagine Newsome will be on the hot seat if he has another year like the last one. Speaking of UVA wise & Emory, I will leave you with a play that still haunts my dreams....

I was in the press box when that happened, still the craziest sports moment o my life.

Reactions: marylandbball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT