ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville Bulldawgs/Magna Vista Highlights

The way Emory basketball is laid out sucks. The women and men rarely play the same night and if they do, then either the men are at home and the women are away, or vice versa. Take last night for example. The women played Roanoke at home, the men played Roanoke away. Emory men is currently ranked 19th in the D3 poll, but will probably drop out next week since they lost last night. King and Wise both play men and women same night both at home or both away, unless it's non conference, then usually it's only men only or women only. Since I started living in Bristol, I have been a King follower and go to all their home games unless it conflicts with a Ridgeview game that I can go to on the same night.
I follow golf bc a family friend golfs there and girls bball because of Syd McKinney, former Union star and family.

Agreed. I played a couple years at Concord in the MEC and my last 2 at Emory and I laughed when I heard UVA Wise was moving to the MEC. Thought there was no way they could compete in that division, but they have definitely proved me wrong. What they've done in their few seasons in the MEC is quite impressive and it appears they're trending up. Quite the opposite of what's going on at Emory. I imagine Newsome will be on the hot seat if he has another year like the last one. Speaking of UVA wise & Emory, I will leave you with a play that still haunts my dreams....

I was in the press box when that happened, still the craziest sports moment o my life.

I'm the guy at 1:08 you briefly see in the green shirt and shorts doing... something. Lol.

Reactions: gtownfencecrew
I wish they had a camera on the press box, it was pandemonium. The reporters without any rooting interest were just incredulous and the rest were euphoric. Wise and Emory HATE each other, there is no love lost and the fact little brother Wise beat Emory that way was crazy.

I wish they had a camera on the press box, it was pandemonium. The reporters without any rooting interest were just incredulous and the rest were euphoric. Wise and Emory HATE each other, there is no love lost and the fact little brother Wise beat Emory that way was crazy.

Lol, I remember Emory coach crying to the BHC in the write up of the game, saying they would never play Wise again because they were below them, just some NAIA school. Now Wise is above them, D2 vs. D3 and Emory still won't play them. Granted, Wise only gets one non conference game a season I believe, but still that should be the one, the SWVA bowl.

Reactions: BigWinners
I’d say Wise would put it on them pretty bad if they played now.
Yeah for sure, two programs going in opposing directions.
Coaching is the biggest reason why.

Havoc, Emory still views Wise as below them despite the D2 move. It's just how the rivalry is viewed. I'd say most Emory grads don't feel that way but there was def always a vibe of superiority. And of course Wise played it up, everyone wants to be the underdog.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Yeah for sure, two programs going in opposing directions.
Coaching is the biggest reason why.

Havoc, Emory still views Wise as below them despite the D2 move. It's just how the rivalry is viewed. I'd say most Emory grads don't feel that way but there was def always a vibe of superiority. And of course Wise played it up, everyone wants to be the underdog.
Coaching may be a big reason. Sounds like Wise’s coach is the real deal based off what he’s done in such a short time frame. But I’d say the biggest difference is Wise having scholarship players.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT