ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville Bulldawgs/Magna Vista Highlights

People always hollering about Gate City. We'll see what happens when they play some real teams in the playoffs. Pressure busts pipes!!!!!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
People always hollering about Gate City. We'll see what happens when they play some real teams in the playoffs. Pressure busts pipes!!!!!!!

Didn't you guys lose to a Graham team that's not on GCs level?

GC has also played much tougher competition than Mahavi.

EDIT

Wasn't denigrating Mahavi, just saying GC has played some great teams.

Yes, we lost to them. Your point is? When was the last time Graham or Gate City won a chip? I'll sit back and wait for your answer. Maybe Graham is better than Gate City. All Gate City is for now is Max preps champs.

North Meck ranked the #1 public school in NC. lost to Huntington prep by 6.
Fern Creek #2 team in KY all classification.
Cleveland TN. #4 team in the 5AAA

But you maybe right .... Martinsville may thump GC and all they fake hype... you can never know.... But I guarantee that GC's hasn't played anyone with shorts uglier than what I just saw in that video. Wow.

Reactions: eh31
Yes, we lost to them. Your point is? When was the last time Graham or Gate City won a chip? I'll sit back and wait for your answer. Maybe Graham is better than Gate City. All Gate City is for now is Max preps champs.
GC was a football school for 40 years. How many football banners does Martinsville have?
I'll wait.

And keep clinging to those trophies from years past, it'll really help you this year.

This is a basketball thread. I can tell you that MHS has 15 chips and 2 very recent. Um mmm MHS beat Gate City in the state semis by about 40 + to win the last one. Maybe MHS hasn't played a short stretch of touch games as GC and that's ok. If you didn't play in that Arby's Classic, could you make that same claim of a tough schedule. I don't think so. I bet if GC played MHS's schedule, they would have a few Ls!!!!

This is a basketball thread. I can tell you that MHS has 15 chips and 2 very recent. Um mmm MHS beat Gate City in the state semis by about 40 + to win the last one. Maybe MHS hasn't played a short stretch of touch games as GC and that's ok. If you didn't play in that Arby's Classic, could you make that same claim of a tough schedule. I don't think so. I bet if GC played MHS's schedule, they would have a few Ls!!!!
When Mac was a sophomore, Ervin was a frosh and Dean was still in middle school. That's totally irrelevant.
Who on Mahavis schedule is better than Cleveland TN, Mecklenburg or the top ranked team in KY?

You brought this on yourself, bragging about MHS while downing GCs schedule when in fact GCs schedule has been much tougher. If the second best Region D team can handle Mahavi, what will the best team do?

And I bet if MHS played GCs schedule, they'd have 7-8 losses. And Cleveland wasn't in the Arby's, it was Saturday. Region C is very good, but Region D isn't far behind.

I never brag nor do I down anyone or any team. I just give my opinion. If GC wins the chip, I'll be the 1st to congratulate them. There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and March. It's possible that neither one will make it. I'm a Bulldawg and I will let the world know it. BigWinners, maybe we'll cross paths in the upcoming weeks and do some friendly trash talk. My posts are innocuous and meant 4 Fun.

That same year that you beat GC BY 40 Martinsville beat GC by 1 point a week earlier. Martinville got on a roll during state time and GC was hit by the flu bug for the second meeting. But NO ONE was going to challenge the Dawgs that year. And really beat a week field that year. Whoever wins it this year will beat a deeper field. They are high school kids anything can happen.

This year GC has played the tougher opponents. In the Arby's and this past week against Cleveland but will they continue to play these types of teams after McClung is gone? I know it doesn't matter this year, but I think this schedule was made to get these kids ready for the playoffs and the AD is to be commended for doing so. But after those games the rest of their schedule that I've seen on you tube or highlights looks like the Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals. Mac and the rest of the GC players are obviously that good and should win state going away. If the Dogs are lucky enough to get to come to UVA-wise I'll make that drive gladly. Made it plenty of times from 2001-2009. Look forward to going up Tacoma Mt Road 1 more time, maybe eating at Reno's or getting a sub from Pizza King! Boy that was some good times

The irony that football was even brought into this thread is actually funny to me because Martinsville has played for the state championship 5 times, but the 2 championships that they did win in 1975 and 1988 - they beat Gate City to get to the championship game.

Also, I love how one 8 or 9 point basketball game nearly 3 hours away in December where the home team shot 34 free throws versus 7 for the visiting team is still being used as the measuring stick of which team will give GC the best competition.

The irony that football was even brought into this thread is actually funny to me because Martinsville has played for the state championship 5 times, but the 2 championships that they did win in 1975 and 1988 - they beat Gate City to get to the championship game.

Also, I love how one 8 or 9 point basketball game nearly 3 hours away in December where the home team shot 34 free throws versus 7 for the visiting team is still being used as the measuring stick of which team will give GC the best competition.

I hope this isn't directed at me as I feel Radford and GC are the two best in 2A, with DR and Lee not far behind.

Weak field huh!!!! Too funny!!
You don't think this year's field is one of the deepest in recent memory??

And other poster made great point, Mahavi beat GC by one point before their team got sick and couldn't do anything and lost by 40

There's a statement that I'd fully agree with! Although I'm not as sold on DR for some reason as I have been in the last few years

I haven't saw much of them at all this year so you may be right.

Who would be your top five?

I'd go GC, Radford, Lee, DR and someone from the East or possibly Graham and Woodstock.

Lol. That 'pressure busts pipes' is a good one! With the number of titles Martinsville has won they have busted some pipes over the years. As a Lee fan/alum I can vouch for that. Martinsville is not a team you want to face in the postseason. That being said, I still believe Gate City is the team to beat. It looks like region C has 3 teams that will give GC all they want , and if Lee can advance far enough, might contest too. One poster on this thread said it very well. These are high school players and teams. Anything can happen. Summery, do not underestimate the Bulldogs, Radford, Dan River, or any other top notch 2A team. Gate City has a team to win the title, but it will be settled on the court.

Reactions: AntGZee

I'd go GC, Radford, Lee, DR and someone from the East or possibly Graham and Woodstock.

DR beat the Magna Vista team we just saw video of by 9 at home and by 2 in Ridgeway. Other than that they have the 2 losses versus Heritage and a nice win over GW (who is not nearly as good as the normal GW squads). The rest of their schedule is lackluster to say the least. So while I know that they're good, just how good remains to be seen.

Give me GC and Radford versus the field to cut the nets down.

DR beat the Magna Vista team we just saw video of by 9 at home and by 2 in Ridgeway. Other than that they have the 2 losses versus Heritage and a nice win over GW (who is not nearly as good as the normal GW squads). The rest of their schedule is lackluster to say the least. So while I know that they're good, just how good remains to be seen.

Give me GC and Radford versus the field to cut the nets down.
I think you are right. You never know, but at this point in the season those 2 seem to be the favorites. Martinsville can contest if they hit the 3s, and if Vaughan has a postseason run like he did for Lee last season, maybe a repeat.

I would say it's GC then the rest of the field this year. Just don't think anybody has the firepower to hang with the Devils. It would take a very bad night by 2 of the "Big 3" to for somebody like a Radford or Lee to knock them off. I'm like Mayberry, not sold on DR this year. A good team, just not championship good. But of course, what do I know?

Mac scored 65 last year and still lost to Dan River. GC has had a good year, but the boys out east (Martinsville and DR) are coming. Though I think GC is really good, I also believe Dan River, Martinsville and Radford are just as good. Dan River is no joke at all. Bryson McLaughlin is a monster and they got guards who manage the game... Plus Murphy is the best coach in 2a. If Martinsville can continue to shoot the 3 point ball the way they have then it’s gonna be very hard to beat them. Pettway is a winner and he has a lot of weapons around him. If Jeff Adkins can keep his cool, the Dawgs have a good shot to get back to Richmond. I also believe that Miles Jones and Morton-Robertson duo is just as good as the McClung and Ervin duo.

Last edited:
If you give up 85+ points, you're gonna lose. It's gonna take defense to beat a team like GC. In the games they've only scored down around 65-75, those are the games that they've either lost or haven't won by crazy margins. Their defense is gonna give up points, so a stout defensive effort could provide the upset. There's a couple of teams in the "top 10" that might could give that kind of defensive performance.

If you give up 85+ points, you're gonna lose. It's gonna take defense to beat a team like GC. In the games they've only scored down around 65-75, those are the games that they've either lost or haven't won by crazy margins. Their defense is gonna give up points, so a stout defensive effort could provide the upset. There's a couple of teams in the "top 10" that might could give that kind of defensive performance.
Cough cough..Dan River and Martinsville.. COUGH COUGH!

Radford is at the top of that list. Defense, and a guard who can control the speed of the game. And oh yeah, can score too!

Murphy is a good coach, but I'd put Cormady of Radford right up there too. And back to GC, to hold them below 80-85 you are going to have to have good guards to control the tempo of the game. Nobody has been able to do that to them this year even in their loss they scored a bunch against the #1 team in NC. GC is the real deal. Just hoping somebody can play them close.

I wondered how many snarky remarks from Ant downplaying GC it would take before it would finally get a rise out of everybody lol

Martinsville has to be at the top this year since they got a player that Ant would rather have than McClung (& twice on Sundays) Don’t sleep on the dawgs in any sport or Ant will come for ya!!

You're a funny guy/girl eh31. I stand with what I said. I will be the 1st to give GC props IF big if they win it all.

Pettway is a very good hs point guard. He's getting some looks from some small colleges. Not on McClung's level obviously, but he has an explosive first step to the basket and is a hard nosed tough kid on D. Very humble kid who shows very little emotion on the court, except against MV. Big rivalry game down this way, I guess on par with Union-GC, show probably why he had 3-4 dunks and a couple of stare downs

Pettway isn’t going to G’town but he may be, athletically, the best PG McClung sees on the high school level. Pettway is victim of not playing major AAU ball. Seen PGs a lot less talented than Pettway go D1. Yeah GC is real good, but they haven’t played a good team outside their environment all year. We’ll see what’s up when the real season starts.

Lmao! All this hype about Mavahi and they probably won't even be playing past the Region. Only 2 come out of the regions this year. Radford, Dan River, Martinsville. One of those 3 are gone by the end of the Region C tournament.

And to say that the girls state title runs through the Lady Dawgs?!?!

The same Lady Dawgs who bowed out of playing Wise Central in the Emory and Henry showcase back in December?

You do realize DSH, that the last 3 girls state titles have been won by the Mountain, right? The state title runs through the Norton Walmart. It KILLS me to say that because I hate Wise Central more than anyone. But there is no better coach in the state of Virginia in ANY sport than Robin Dotson at Wise Central. Dude just knows how to win titles:

2015 -- Wise Central loses to Gate City 4 times over the course of the season, beats them the 5th and final time when it matters most, in Richmond for the state title
2016 -- Ridgeview beats Wise Central in the district tournament, ends their season. Ridgeview goes on and wins the title beating Union. Second straight year, all Mountain District state final. Also of note, most of the girls on the Ridgeview team that year won the 1A title in 2015 with Clintwood.
2017 -- Wise Central loses to Mavahi in the 2A West tournament at James River, comes back 2 weeks later and systematically destroys Mavahi in the title game, state title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT