ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville not playing Spring sports either

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
so that would be the 2nd spring with no sports, along with no fall or winter sports? I feel terrible for the kids.

At least everyone except for a few have got to play some over the past year, our young men and women haven't had a chance to even participate. Granted other than boys and girls basketball and boys soccer the Dogs haven't been competitive at the state level in a long time. And with the city trying to revert from a city to a town and Henry County taking over the school system, rumor has it that it might not be a Martinsville high school in the not to distant future.

Sadly, I've heard of this rumor too. i won't be surprise if certain ones transfer to Bassett, Magna VIsta, or either go to a Pittsylvania County school or even over the boarder in NC. Carlisle could be an option for some too.

Are they having alot of covid issues there? Ive not been hearing ir reading about it in the media.

Are they having alot of covid issues there? Ive not been hearing ir reading about it in the media.
Here's some stories on Martinsville:

The speedway is not in the city. Dr. Talley was a coach for a number of years in the school system so I don't think it's not that he doesn't want to deal with sports. I personally think he is being overly cautious for reasons I can't explain. I wish the kids could be allowed to play but ultimately it is his decision and the school board seems to be united in supporting him. It seems crazy that we haven't had any basketball on Cleveland Ave in over a year, but it is what it is.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I am sure it would have opened up a can of worms, but I have said all year that if a student attends a district that is not participating, those students should have a one time opportunity to go to a neighboring school and participate. At the very least seniors should have been given that opportunity.

I am sure it would have opened up a can of worms, but I have said all year that if a student attends a district that is not participating, those students should have a one time opportunity to go to a neighboring school and participate. At the very least seniors should have been given that opportunity.
I agree!

Not to diminish what’s being done to kids individually...the Bulldog spring sports programs will now go through two years without their sports. Next year’s senior class will have not had game action since their freshman season. Lot of people playing varsity without so much as a JV rep. That is how you kill programs

Not to diminish what’s being done to kids individually...the Bulldog spring sports programs will now go through two years without their sports. Next year’s senior class will have not had game action since their freshman season. Lot of people playing varsity without so much as a JV rep. That is how you kill programs
What is Bucktown doing with spring sports?

I agree with you 100% and you make some great points. Seniors who will not have played since their freshman year. What the odds of getting kids out who truly don't have the desire to play beyond HS. Lots of kids will get jobs and teams will suffer.

What is Bucktown doing with spring sports?

I agree with you 100% and you make some great points. Seniors who will not have played since their freshman year. What the odds of getting kids out who truly don't have the desire to play beyond HS. Lots of kids will get jobs and teams will suffer.
Buckingham is back in action for the spring season thankfully.

At least everyone except for a few have got to play some over the past year, our young men and women haven't had a chance to even participate. Granted other than boys and girls basketball and boys soccer the Dogs haven't been competitive at the state level in a long time. And with the city trying to revert from a city to a town and Henry County taking over the school system, rumor has it that it might not be a Martinsville high school in the not to distant future.
Don't forget about track and field! Martinsville always has some good kids who compete to win at the state level, especially on the boys side.

How many possible scholarships will be lost over the country to schools that have cancelled sports.
Not a lot but some kids will for sure lose out. Coach Freeze at LU has already said that there are kids who now that he has seniors who can stay he will let them keep the scholly rather then "chance" it on some. I think the there is some allowance if the school will kick in $ this years to allow some extra schollys.
I think for collegiate Track it is something like that.
Someone might be able to expand on that.

Martinsville was on the cusp of turning it around with football and had an impactful transfer who came in to play basketball along with their 6’7 All State caliber best player. It’s a crying shame that Southside VA had 12 basketball games between them (Halifax had 6 of those). Martinsville had none. They very well could’ve added #16 to the rafters this year in 2A ball.

Banned, I don't know if we were state caliber but we would have been in the mix. Had another 6'7" kid to go along with Niblett and the transfer from MV. We would have been a tough out. But we will never know.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Banned, I don't know if we were state caliber but we would have been in the mix. Had another 6'7" kid to go along with Niblett and the transfer from MV. We would have been a tough out. But we will never know.
Yep, Niblett was going to have a big year and the Dawgs added Spencer Hairston who is probably the best shooter on that side of the state from MV.

Martinsville as a whole has been a mess for years now. Corrupt police and drugs have really hurt the community.

No corrupt police in the city. Henry Co had a problem 15 tears ago but they got rid of that sheriff and the other officers. Drugs is a problem in all society. If you were from here you would realize the problems started with Nafta and all the jobs that left the area back in the early to mid 90's. MHS has went from a high school of 1400 students in the mid 70's to down to 550 or so now. To blame it on corrupt police or drugs is just a real Skip Bayless hot take. Good article today in the Martinsville Bulletin talking about the boys soccer team. Superintendent is quoted several times talking about his reasoning for not allowing participation. Not saying I agree with him but it is his job and he has to live with his decision.

Martinsville as a whole has been a mess for years now. Corrupt police and drugs have really hurt the community.
Drugs have hit Southside hard. Don’t believe it, drive down Fayette St, Pony Place or off the Virginia Ave corridor in Collinsville. Martinsville/Henry County, sadly, may be worst off than Danville. I will say that Danville/Pittsylvania/Martinsville/Henry County are blessed with very good law enforcement.

Here's that article. It's extremely well written and I feel for those student-athletes.

I feel horrible for the student athletes in Martinsville. These seniors are not just missing their senior season, they also lost out on their junior season as well. There are so many positives that come along with being a student athlete and they are missing out on two years worth. Some could have lost out on collegiate opportunities. I'm getting tired of higher ups saying that they are making these decisions not to play out of caution for the students, but if that is the case why are you bringing them back into the buildings?

Spring sports are played outdoors and in the fresh air. If they are worried, then require the athlete to wear a mask like some other divisions do and let them play.

Guys, I normally stay out of this stuff, but let me say this. When your local politics, teachers unions, etc, have a certain radical ideology, you unfortunately get the decisions and results of what's going on in Martinsville. It's unfair to the kids. Idealogues care about their long term agenda of what they want their city, state, or country to look like, and caring about the kids is not remotely close to their priorities. In their views, the kids are simply a stepping stone or tools used to shape their ideological agenda and desired outcomes.

No corrupt police in the city. Henry Co had a problem 15 tears ago but they got rid of that sheriff and the other officers. Drugs is a problem in all society. If you were from here you would realize the problems started with Nafta and all the jobs that left the area back in the early to mid 90's. MHS has went from a high school of 1400 students in the mid 70's to down to 550 or so now. To blame it on corrupt police or drugs is just a real Skip Bayless hot take. Good article today in the Martinsville Bulletin talking about the boys soccer team. Superintendent is quoted several times talking about his reasoning for not allowing participation. Not saying I agree with him but it is his job and he has to live with his decision.
It appears he's taking easy way out, by just canceling everything. A lot of so called leaders , take that route, rather than find a solution and make things happen.

In Dr Talley's defense he hasn't taken the easy way out. When he took over the school system a few years back none of the schools in the city were accredited and now they all are. I may not be in agreement with his decision as far as the athletic program but it's his decision to make. Being in the booster club it's getting frustrating not to have meetings or anything to support for over a year. I hate it for the kids, they are the ones missing out on memories.

That article just hammered home the point of how shitty this entire situation is and there really are no easy answers. I gotta admit tho, I don't see how outdoor sports like soccer, that practice and play fully outdoors, are gonna create a bunch of new clusters. With what we know now, transmission outdoors is much less likely and it's much easier to enforce proper distance and such outside.

It just sucks, I don't have the answers, no one does, but hopefully everyone can agree it is brutal on the kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT