ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville vs Dan River

It's a HUGE game because LOSER probably gets GATE CITY in State QF.

Now that I've got my wits, DR hit 2 ftsto go up 39-35 with 21 secs to go. EJ Bratcher hit a layup and was fouled. Made the ft. 39-38 Cats with 12.5 secs to go. Cats threw long and the ball was batted around and knocked out under the DR basket with 6.5 to go. DR had a hard time getting it in and Mavahi stole the inbounds pass and 2 passes got it ahead to Hairston who made a circus layup and was fouled with .8 to go. He made the ft and DR's desperation shot went over the basket and the Dogs live to play another day. Good gosh, this is hard on a old guy!

Reactions: pizzzzza
Now that I've got my wits, DR hit 2 ftsto go up 39-35 with 21 secs to go. EJ Bratcher hit a layup and was fouled. Made the ft. 39-38 Cats with 12.5 secs to go. Cats threw long and the ball was batted around and knocked out under the DR basket with 6.5 to go. DR had a hard time getting it in and Mavahi stole the inbounds pass and 2 passes got it ahead to Hairston who made a circus layup and was fouled with .8 to go. He made the ft and DR's desperation shot went over the basket and the Dogs live to play another day. Good gosh, this is hard on a old guy!

Well it's good to see that at least your memory hasn't faded......yet :)

@DanvilleSportsHead, is the sky blue? Does a duck fart underwater? If the good Lord grants me breath, I plan to be there. One heck of a game by both teams.

We all know who says this, " A Blizzard is Coming "!!!!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Mavahi stole the inbounds pass and 2 passes got it ahead to Hairston who made a circus layup and was fouled with .8 to go. He made the ft and DR's desperation shot went over the basket and the Dogs live to play another day. Good gosh, this is hard on a old guy!

Hairston played all of about 30 seconds in this game, but what a 30 seconds it was. Survive and advance!

Reactions: AntGZee
True , but be hard for that to be in a high school games, unless 2 or 3 overtimes were in involved. I recall a game back in the day in which Tunstall and Chatham had a 43-41 game in 2 or 3 overtimes.

There weren't many easy buckets in that DR vs Martinsville game. Most shots were contested. Anyone that knows of the games that the Dawgs and Cats have, are usually lower scoring slug it out matches. When the Dawgs beat DR for state, it was like a 53-42 game. I think the score is a lil off but I'm sure I'm kinda close.

Last edited:
Did you see the game? Both teams held the ball for long stretches of the game. That contributed to the low scoring. Both teams played very good D, Martinsville in their zone DR in their man to man. Points were at a premium.

Did you see the game? Both teams held the ball for long stretches of the game. That contributed to the low scoring. Both teams played very good D, Martinsville in their zone DR in their man to man. Points were at a premium.

I did not see game. I had planned to go, but didn't make it. I seem to recall reading where one team went into a "Four Corners" offense and held the ball about 4 minutes.

Dan River did that in the 4th Q.
My MV coach shared with me some game footage. DR held the ball and took away all of their momentum. They thought Martinsville was gonna lie down.. When the Dawg’s made their last run, River was done. Typical Dan River. Great coach and program but they always find a way to give the opponent the game in football and basketball...Literally! Especially the big game. That’s been their track record since 09. HR6 can attest. This program should have at least 4 state championships in football and basketball...A piece! 8 total without a question! They have 4 kids right now that will play in the NFL, including one that already plays for the NO Saints (Trey Edmunds) and a player who will go in the top 7 in the NFL Draft (Maine Edmunds; top 5 NFL prospect) and another early to late 2nd rounder (Rell Edmunds; 2nd best safety in the draft). Kimoni Fitz (Cincinnati) is the other I’m speaking of. He should be a mid round pick next year. It’s unreal that all that talent played together (Maine and Trey didn’t play together) and came from a 2a school and never won a chip in football.

DSH, isn't it funny when you go to a game sometimes, you sit and watch then you start to wonder how is this team going to pull out the win or how is this team going to blow it. I had that feeling in the 4th quarter of this game. In this one DR kept the Dogs in the game, then the Dogs figured out a way to win it. DR had them on the ropes but by holding it at the start of the 4th, it took all the "Mo" away from them.

DSH, isn't it funny when you go to a game sometimes, you sit and watch then you start to wonder how is this team going to pull out the win or how is this team going to blow it. I had that feeling in the 4th quarter of this game. In this one DR kept the Dogs in the game, then the Dogs figured out a way to win it. DR had them on the ropes but by holding it at the start of the 4th, it took all the "Mo" away from them.
NEVER COUNT THE DAWGS OUT!!

Reactions: AntGZee
I wish there was more motion in the offense.
The lack of motion is most likely the direct result of the players participating in AAU basketball - there's only one basketball so every one takes turns dribbling or shooting. And no one wants to truly "play" the game any more - all they want is the "stardom" from scoring 30 points. And the fact that, on an AAU team at least, everyone is a "superstar" (at least in their own minds, that is) simply means that "I don't have to get all hot and sweaty if I don't want to". And the only passing is those 75-mph bullets from 4 feet away that the kid who trips over the lines on the court cannot catch - even with a net.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT