ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville vs Gate City

sharkfan83

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 30, 2015
Let's hear it! I've not watched Mavahi this year so I have no clue what to think about them.... Other than the obvious that they are really good. I think if both teams bring their 'A' game then Mavahi probably wins by around 15 pts. GC may keep it close for a half but won't be able to really get within striking distance down the stretch. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised. However, if Mavahi is cold from behind the arc and GC is firing on all cylinders and can play a decent enough zone to keep Holland from having 30+ I think they could have a shot. They let Robinette from Honaker, their BIG post player, score 30 on them in a benefit game and still came away with a 8-10 win over them. (it doesn't show in Honakers win/loss column)

I don't think GC will be as cold as they were against Richlands last night. Other than McClung...they couldn't hit anything in the first half. If not for him staying hot (minus some of his silly unforced turnovers) and having 19 of GCs first half 28 pts they may have dropped the game to the Blues. Freshman Ervin finally came to life and scored all 17 of his pts in the 2nd half including a stretch of 9 straight and Barnes finally got on the board with a couple big 3 pt shots. Qualls finally got on the board late as well with 6-8 pts after having a poor shooting game in the first half. Guys just couldn't get anything to fall. I don't think these boys will shoot this bad 2 games in a row.....but I have been wrong many times before.

I'm gonna say:

Mavahi - 79
Gate City- 67

Well if Robinette dropped 30 then don't expect anything less from Holland. Martinsville is as good as advertised. MHS is battle tested. The Dawgs will show up ready to play. When the GC scouted the Appomattox vs MHS game, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear the report. Should be a good game. Just be ready for a track meet.

Reactions: James Holland
I actually haven't heard of anyone from GC that even went to the Appo/MHS game....im sure someone made the trip but havent heard anything about it. And GC would actually welcome a track meet....they are much better suited for a fast paced transition game. They struggle more against a zone and a slow pace game so they are going to welcome a track meet if that's what Martinsville wants to do.

And GC played man to man against Robinette.....they wont be doing that against MHS. First time I've ever seen GC run a zone was about halfway through the season this year. So I wouldn't be suprised if we held Holland to less than what Robinette had....but I still fully expect him to get 20.

Last edited:
I guess we'll see about that. Really doesn't matter which D u run against Holland but good luck with that :)

Reactions: James Holland
Haha if you'd see the posts I made on the other forum board earlier you'd see that I made the exact same comment that it wasn't gonna matter what D we played against him....because simply we just dont have a great defense this year no matter what we run. So I fully expect him to hurt us in the post. Me saying he will "at least" get 20 isn't like I was disrespecting him. Is it the fact that I made it seem like Robinette may be as good or better big man than Holland that bothers you? Lol. Take that up with Honaker...Mavahi would struggle to stop that guy just like everyone else. He's not just tall....he's a brute with exceptional footwork.

O, I know Holland is the better player, that's no question. Yes, I have seen Robinette play.

As have I....and I've seen Holland as well. In my previous posts I mentioned I hadnt seen MHS....well I meant this year. I've watched GC play both of those big men. Saw Holland in 2014 and watched Robinette this year. I realize Holland has improved since the game y'all beat us in '14.....but Robinette is as good of a player as Holland. That's not a slight to anyone....just recognizing the young man's talent from Honaker. It's not like Holland doesn't get enough credit already.

Well you may be right.... We have our opinions. I just feel like Robinette is every bit as good of a player. I know Holland is 6'6 but what is his weight now roughly? Do you know?

That's the problem with guarding Robinette too. Not just tall.....has the size of a defensive end.

I'm picking Honaker to win the 1A chip if it's any consolation to you :)

Yea...but we all know the common opponent and transitive property thing never works out. You guys also beat Radford by 20+ points the first time.....then lost the next. GC has the tendency to play to the level of their competition and that's what happened with Floyd....not to mention it was early in the year. Ridgeview boys took Union to OT......GC beat Ridgeview by nearly 40. Then GC turned around and almost lost to Union. Can't compare common opponents.... matchups are always different and were talking about High School players here....way too many factors that can alter their game. And I'm not pumping Honaker....I hope they do well but I'm not here for 1A ball. Haha they may or may not beat Radford....but I think the title comes down to those two teams.

Last edited:
Friday u will get to see Holland and the Bulldawgs, up close and personal. You then can judge for yourself.

Yep! Sorry for the typo. meant TRANSITIVE!

And if you didn't notice....I predicted MHS to win by about 13 in my original post. I've said for the past few days on other forum boards I wouldnt be the slightest bit suprised to see it end up a 20-25 pt spread either....10-15 pt spread was me being pretty optimistic. GC has some talent....but I think the best is yet to come for GC in the next 2-4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
Glad m'ville won Tuesday. Appo is in no way prepared for a Friday game. Tornado has drained community. Last thing on our minds would be basketball.

Is there an online feed from either Gate City or Martinsville to listen to this game? Thanks.

I myself live about an hour from the college in Wise....and it's 32-34° here with a few flurries flying and the wind howling. Wise is probably several degrees colder and I'm sure it's windy and snowing a little bit.....its alot higher elevation from where I live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT