ADVERTISEMENT

Massaponax @ Louisa

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Obviously this is a big game. This will by far be Louisa’s toughest test all year, and a loss could cost them home field in the playoffs. We’ll really get a look at both teams. Should be a great atmosphere, a Class 6 powerhouse coming to The Jungle in week 3. How do we think this one is gonna go?

Reactions: Coach G - FB
If Chancellor was able to move the ball on Louisa, then Massaponax should be able to score a ton of points. I don't think Louisa can outscore them so I will say Massaponax by 2 scores, 40-28.

Ponax forces the opposing defense to get great play from their LB's. Their O line is good and opens holes for them to be efficient with the read option. Their QB's are not big, but deceptively fast. If they get past the initial contact, it's off to the races. Their passing game looks to be suspect, but they didn't really need to pass against Dinwiddie. We struggled to stop the run. Opponents can be successful passing on their 3-4 defense if the O line can give the play time to develope. I don't know much about Louisa, so I won't predict an outcome other than I believe it will be highly entertaining game.

Reactions: mbonape1
Ponax forces the opposing defense to get great play from their LB's. Their O line is good and opens holes for them to be efficient with the read option. Their QB's are not big, but deceptively fast. If they get past the initial contact, it's off to the races. Their passing game looks to be suspect, but they didn't really need to pass against Dinwiddie. We struggled to stop the run. Opponents can be successful passing on their 3-4 defense if the O line can give the play time to develope. I don't know much about Louisa, so I won't predict an outcome other than I believe it will be highly entertaining game.
Ponax QB is around 6’2” 190lbs so he may not have looked big from the stands but he isn’t small. Massaponax has speed all over and they’re as well coached as any team in the state. Huge test for Louisa.

Having coached against Ludden at Ponax probably close to 15 times they run the under center triple option better than some college teams. He has been doing it for over 20 years and he is really really good at it. They are fast and are a well oiled machine. Yes their pass game is not great - never is ....he will rush for over 300 yards on you every time. They are a nightmare to prepare for in 3-4 practices. Just a nightmare. If you have not seen it before it can be overwhelming do defend. So triple like Navy/Army - Paul Johnson stuff. He also adjusts during the game as well as anyone. He has those TVs on sidelines and will adjust quickly. I always believed he was the BEST COACH in Stafford/Fburg area. That is saying something considering we have 3 hall of famers and other great coaches. Louisa will have their hands full. All they can handle. Sounds like it would be a great game to watch. But man their offense is the real deal. Also I remember that QB from last year. He is really really good. Tall but FAST!!!

Everyone is talking about the Ponax offensive. The story will be the Ponax defense. If chancellor put up 34 on them, Louis should get close to 50. I’ll go with Louisa.

I don't know Culp. Dinwiddie has a pretty stout offense, and we only managed 30. We played a lot better after halftime adjustments, but by then it was too late to match them score for score. Louisa cannot spot them two or three scores, because they are going to get their points.

I go back to what I said. I think the game will hinge on the Lions linebacker play. They have to stay home and get off the blocks, (and make the tackle). And/or, the Louisa D line has to get penetration and disrupt the option.

That QB did not look that big. They played two QB's correct? #4 and ?

Everyone is talking about the Ponax offensive. The story will be the Ponax defense. If chancellor put up 34 on them, Louis should get close to 50. I’ll go with Louisa.
They scored on Ponax backups. It was 37-7 before Mass took their foot off the pedal. I do agree Louisa can score though.

Reactions: tw2126
No, 6 is the full time qb. 4 got injured at the end of the first quarter.

I must say, #5 for you guys was a pleasure to watch. Held my breath every time he touched it. And I was impressed with the screen game as well.

Robert Barlow #5, is a great kid, as well as being a top notch athlete. I noticed you squib kicked it on the first few kickoffs, and then said what heck and kicked to him. He about took it to the house. Heck, I would never kick to him either.

Robert is the little engine that could. 145 lbs of energy and muscle. It's also easy to see why he is such a good kid. His family is a fantastic bunch of folks.

Did you notice that our long snapper was a girl? And she is not there as a novelty. She has never missed a practice and is the first to step forward whenever there is a need or task. She has become really good at long snapping, which is no small feat.

Last year Ponax had the luxury of having a kicker being able to kick it to the end zone 95% of the time, not so much this year. But no I didn’t notice the long snapper was girl. That’s awesome, and def not an easy job. Kudos to her. Ponax had a female kicker a few years back, she was quite good also.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Haven't posted in quite awhile but just wanted to say that as someone who follows the Commonwealth and Battlefield Districts, I love some of the games that have been scheduled this year and can really appreciate those programs that take the steps to play games like these - Massaponax-Louisa; Dinwiddie-Massaponax; North Stafford-Dinwiddie; North Stafford-Highland Springs; Colonial Forge-Highland Springs; Highland Springs-O Smith; etc. I know there are others as well. Perhaps the Springers should try to schedule James Madison (the university, not the high school), ha ha. Have longed for the day when my alma mater would have football program like these but alas.............

Last edited:
Haven't posted in quite awhile but just wanted to say that as someone who follows the Commonwealth and Battlefield Districts, I love some of the games that have been scheduled this year and can really appreciate those programs that take the steps to play games like these - Massaponax-Louisa; Dinwiddie-Massaponax; North Stafford-Dinwiddie; North Stafford-Highland Springs; Colonial Forge-Highland Springs; Highland Springs-O Smith; etc. I know there are others as well. Perhaps the Springers should try to schedule James Madison (the university, not the high school), ha ha. Have longed for the day when my alma mater would have football program like these but alas.............
King George did this the last couple of years, playing Tuscarora, Louisa, Brooke Point, and Stafford out of district. Went 0-8 over the two year cycle, but probably made the team better for it.

Yeah, KG whipped us last week by 13, we had topped y’all the previous two years if memory serves.

Yeah, KG whipped us last week by 13, we had topped y’all the previous two years if memory serves.
Yeah, they were close in the first half and then got away from us. We had no offense the last couple of years, but we do now.

Good to hear from you, sir. Stop being a stranger.

Louisa will get tested this Friday night in The Jungle! D-fence has allowed only 19 points 7 of that on the 1st string. A Battle will be played.

It’s funny that there are some people on Twitter from 4A saying that Highland Springs doesn’t play anybody,and wonders why they don’t schedule Louisa or Salem,or Lake Taylor.

It’s funny that there are some people on Twitter from 4A saying that Highland Springs doesn’t play anybody,and wonders why they don’t schedule Louisa or Salem,or Lake Taylor.
Well...they've lost 4 games over the past 5 years by a total of 9 points....and they have 4 rings. Anyone saying something negative about that program is just an idiot.

there aren't any negative comments in either of those posts more like a monster complement on how good they are. pls don't rush louisa into that game they got enough with massaponax this week. you can do it Lions.

Both teams are really good. I believe Louisa has better personnel. Ponax has give up a ton of points in their first 2 games (64). If Massaponax ran any other offense than what they run I would say no contest Louisa easily. However, I don't see Ponax stopping Louisa, so they will have to score 40 again to win. If the Louisa defensive staff has a good plan and the kids execute it they will stop the ponax Offense. They definitely have the personnel

Shoot. HS just beat Oscar Smith. they play good teams and beat good teams.

This year they played Oscar Smith (11-2 last year) and won, play North Stafford (10-3 last year), Henrico (10-2 last year), Manchester (15-0 last year), Atlee (8-4 last year), Colonial Forge (11-1 last year), and Varina (8-4 last year). Can't say they don't play anybody now!

This year they played Oscar Smith (11-2 last year) and won, play North Stafford (10-3 last year), Henrico (10-2 last year), Manchester (15-0 last year), Atlee (8-4 last year), Colonial Forge (11-1 last year), and Varina (8-4 last year). Can't say they don't play anybody now!
I can’t argue with idiots,claiming stupid crap. Saying our schedule is built around teams that are “rebuilding”,and wondering why HSHS don’t schedule teams like Louisa,Lake Taylor & Salem. You know...step DOWN to D4,where they claim the teams are better than IR,Maury,Colonial Forge,OS,Varina,NStafford and Stonebridge. These teams are POWERS EVERY YEAR,and never “rebuild”. Like I said....IDIOTS!

Reactions: WP02alum
If Chancellor was able to move the ball on Louisa, then Massaponax should be able to score a ton of points. I don't think Louisa can outscore them so I will say Massaponax by 2 scores, 40-28.

Do you consider 143 yards for the game moving the ball. 1/2 of that on their 1st. drive.

@HooSprings, I don't know what Class 4 teams or their fans are questioning Highland Springs, but as a Dinwiddie fan and person who follows Class 4 I can honestly say that year in and year out those teams cannot consistently beat the likes of HSHS or the top Class 5/6 teams. Some Class 4 teams teams can certainly hang close and in any given year (Salem 2015,2016 and 2017) Dinwiddie (2013 and 2016), LT (2014 and 2015), Louisa (2017) and could beat the top dogs. Example 2011 (20-16) and 2012 (28-26) Dinwiddie lost, but played Highland Springs very close. In 2013 (14-21) and 2014 (29-22) Lake Taylor split with the Class 5 State Champion LC Bird and won a State Championship in 2012 (Class 5). Heck, Phoebus is a Class 3 team now and look what they did in Class 5. Until 2013 most of the RVA, Nova, and 757 teams played in Class 5 and 6, so maybe that's the basis of their argument. I wouldn't fret about what anybody says. The Springers have won 4 straight Ships. There ain't a poster on here or Twitter who wouldn't take that. The Sringers play a super tough schedule in and out of district. I for one have no desire for Dinwiddie to Play HSHS regularly. Massaponax, GW Danville, North Stafford, Petersburg, Hopewell and Thomas Dale is quite the challenge.

Good luck to the Lions this weekend. Go Class 4B. Massaponax ran over our young defense. I believe Louisa is better suited to handle the running game. We had success passing the ball, so Louisa can certainly learn something from our offensive attack plan. Both teams have some solid players and the Massaponax qb is very talented. Their counter option is the best I have ever seen at the high school level. This should be a whale of a game.

@HooSprings, I don't know what Class 4 teams or their fans are questioning Highland Springs, but as a Dinwiddie fan and person who follows Class 4 I can honestly say that year in and year out those teams cannot consistently beat the likes of HSHS or the top Class 5/6 teams. Some Class 4 teams teams can certainly hang close and in any given year (Salem 2015,2016 and 2017) Dinwiddie (2013 and 2016), LT (2014 and 2015), Louisa (2017) and could beat the top dogs. Example 2011 (20-16) and 2012 (28-26) Dinwiddie lost, but played Highland Springs very close. In 2013 (14-21) and 2014 (29-22) Lake Taylor split with the Class 5 State Champion LC Bird and won a State Championship in 2012 (Class 5). Heck, Phoebus is a Class 3 team now and look what they did in Class 5. Until 2013 most of the RVA, Nova, and 757 teams played in Class 5 and 6, so maybe that's the basis of their argument. I wouldn't fret about what anybody says. The Springers have won 4 straight Ships. There ain't a poster on here or Twitter who wouldn't take that. The Sringers play a super tough schedule in and out of district. I for one have no desire for Dinwiddie to Play HSHS regularly. Massaponax, GW Danville, North Stafford, Petersburg, Hopewell and Thomas Dale is quite the challenge.

Good luck to the Lions this weekend. Go Class 4B. Massaponax ran over our young defense. I believe Louisa is better suited to handle the running game. We had success passing the ball, so Louisa can certainly learn something from our offensive attack plan. Both teams have some solid players and the Massaponax qb is very talented. Their counter option is the best I have ever seen at the high school level. This should be a whale of a game.

Thank you for the good luck wishes but Rain may win this one I do enjoy watching the LIONS on the field. I thought I would find more people here from Louisa here.

hoos you really need some anger management guy. that was a perfect example he made. don't be so angry.
I wasn’t angry at him at all. I was in a word confrontation on twitter,not here. I’m actually a very relaxed,realistic person.

Great post. The twitter person actually blocked me for making sense as you did. Lol

Do you consider 143 yards for the game moving the ball. 1/2 of that on their 1st. drive.
Thanks for pointing out my ignorance, I had the Chancellor vs Massaponax score in my head...again, my apologies...I do believe Louisa wins this one. If they are able to control Chancellor, albeit, not as tallented, they should hold up pretty good against Massaponax. If Massaponax struggled against Chancellor's offense, I don't see how they don't struggle with Louisa. I'll flip my prediction 40-28 Louisa!

Thanks for pointing out my ignorance, I had the Chancellor vs Massaponax score in my head...again, my apologies...I do believe Louisa wins this one. If they are able to control Chancellor, albeit, not as tallented, they should hold up pretty good against Massaponax. If Massaponax struggled against Chancellor's offense, I don't see how they don't struggle with Louisa. I'll flip my prediction 40-28 Louisa!
I don’t know why this keeps being brought up. It was 37-7 when Massaponax pulled starters. They weren’t struggling with Chancellor. I read in today’s paper it sounds like Massaponax is without 2 starters in the backfield.

Reactions: tw2126 and mbonape1
Obviously this is a big game. This will by far be Louisa’s toughest test all year, and a loss could cost them home field in the playoffs. We’ll really get a look at both teams. Should be a great atmosphere, a Class 6 powerhouse coming to The Jungle in week 3. How do we think this one is gonna go?
Louisa's strength is running the ball with misdirection. Pox strength on defense is in the box. Great coaching and discipline (knowing their gap responsibilities). Chancellor and Dinwiddie scored by putting the ball in the air. I think this is a bad match up for Louisa. Pox offense will be able to put up points. Bad news for Pox is losing their shifty, fast slotback due to ankle sprain. Pox by 2 touchdowns. I would say 3 touchdowns but the Jungle is a 7 point advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT