ADVERTISEMENT

May Soccer

CallMeCoach19

VaPreps Varsity
Mar 27, 2010
We are to that great point of the season when several teams stop posting scores. Dreams are crashing down, so I guess they don't bother...Most Regions will be set by the middle of next week. I think a few have some flux at the 4-6 spots.

Glenvar 5-1 Alleghany: Next Thursday Giles/Glenvar will be a good match.
Bluestone 6-0 Nottoway
Lord Botetourt 6-0 James River: JR has a tough week ahead. Giles tonight and Radford on the horizon.
Appomattox 5-0 Altavista
Goochland 9-0 Cumberland

Dan River 2-2 Tunstall
Giles 9-1 James River: Wasn't expecting quite that high a score. Region C tournament will have some good games with Giles/Nelson/Martinsville/Glenvar in there.
Auburn 2-0 Fort Chiswell
George Wythe 6-0 Grayson
Graham 7-0 Tazewell
J. Battle 2-0 Central
Marion 2-0 VA High
Maggie Walker 4-2 T. Jefferson
RE Lee 3-0 Wilson Memorial: That was Lee's last tough game. They should win the next two 8-0 to stay undefeated.
Union 5-3 Honaker
Glenvar 3-1 Alleghany: Same team two days in a row is tough. Next Thursday Glenvar play host to Giles. That should be a very fun game. I would expect it to be a bit closer this time around.
Richlands played Lebanon in Region D last night, but I can not find a score...shock

That is great win! I never saw the score anywhere. I would have noticed that. Marion is doing some work this season.

DR boys tied Tunstall 3-3 in Dry Fork. Wildcats host Appomattox County today at 5pm.

Graham 2-7 Galax: Shew! Either Galax figured their issues out or Graham finally settled in. Those recent scores were a bit above their level honestly.
Martinsville 1-0 Magna Vista: Bulldogs keep winning in a variety of ways.
Dan River 4-2 Appomattox: I think East side of Region C is set now.
Nelson 11-Altavista: This is your 1 seed in that Region.
Maggie Walker 6-0 Hermitage
Mason 8-0 Strasburg
Poquoson 5-4 Bruton
Gate CIty 2-2 Abingdon

Looks like all of the favorites are hitting their stride at the right moment. I'm sure I'm missing some scores, but it is a Saturday and Spurs are playing with 9...can't miss that!

Boys soccer - Dan River vs. GW cancelled for today and likely won't be made up. Girls soccer will still play at GW.

Giles 7-0 Carroll County
Appomattox 2-3 Altavista (Is that accurate? What?!)

As far as I know, that is all from last night.

Tons of games last night. Some with big implications.
Martinsville 5-1 Halifax: The most interesting point is that the Bulldogs are no longer a one man show. They are scoring in a variety of ways.
James River 4-3 Alleghany
Marion 6-4 Lebanon: Sure the competition isn't too great out that way, but I can't remember putting this many Marion wins on this board...ever
Glenvar 1-0 Galax: Same goes for this tough little Glenvar team this season.
Nelson 8-0 Galileo
Tabb 3-0 Bruton
Graham 3-2 Richlands: I actually had Richlands in this one. I guess the Galax game woke Graham up a bit.
VA High 1-0 Tazewell
George Mason 6-0 Central
J. Battle 7-1 Lee
Central (Wise) 1-2 Union
Maggie Walker 0-1 Freeman: This is a very talented MW team. Found a bit of video of them, but not the force they had a few years back.

Boys:
Gate City 1-0 Ridgeview

Girls:
Richlands 2-0 Graham
Lebanon 5-3 Marion
Virginia High 2-2 Tazewell
John Battle 4-1 Lee High

Nelson 4-0 Dan River
Appomattox 1-0 Chatham
Goochland 2-1 Bluestone (from Monday) I can't find last night's score for Goochland.
Bluestone 2-2 Buckingham

Dan River 2-2 Tunstall
Giles 9-1 James River: Wasn't expecting quite that high a score. Region C tournament will have some good games with Giles/Nelson/Martinsville/Glenvar in there.
Auburn 2-0 Fort Chiswell
George Wythe 6-0 Grayson
Graham 7-0 Tazewell
J. Battle 2-0 Central
Marion 2-0 VA High
Maggie Walker 4-2 T. Jefferson
RE Lee 3-0 Wilson Memorial: That was Lee's last tough game. They should win the next two 8-0 to stay undefeated.
Union 5-3 Honaker
Glenvar 3-1 Alleghany: Same team two days in a row is tough. Next Thursday Glenvar play host to Giles. That should be a very fun game. I would expect it to be a bit closer this time around.
Richlands played Lebanon in Region D last night, but I can not find a score...shock

https://www.whsv.com/content/sports/Leemen-defeat-Wilson-Memorial-improve-to-14-0--509413471.html

From May 7:

Final boys soccer: Lee High 8, Riverheads 0.

Kyle Stenzel had 5 goals, Thomas Otteni scored twice, & Wilson von Seldeneck had 1 goal.

Carson Murray had 2 assists & Stenzel had 1.

Cullen Wallace had 2 saves in the shutout.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Giles 3-1 Glenvar: The TRD is decided now. Giles takes it for the 4th year in a row (conferences in two I know) I would say that Glenvar is a pretty good team though. They would be the favorite to win District/possibly even Region next season. Heck I could see them upsetting Giles or Nelson this season.
Radford 3-0 James River: Shew James River is going to have a tough 48 hours. They head to Pearisburg tonight to play Giles.
Bruton 1-0 Greensville Co.
Nelson 3-0 Appomattox
SW Jackson 3-0 Buffalo Gap: Lots of 3-0 scorelines
Strasburg 3-1 Rapp Co.
Richlands 3-0 VA High
Maggie Walker 5-4 Tabb: I bet this was an exciting game to watch. video anywhere?
Abingdon 7-0 Central (Wise)
Carroll Co. 3-0 Alleghany: I know not 2A, but they play in a 2A district and this was Carroll's first win of the season. Good for them.

Giles 3-1 Glenvar: The TRD is decided now. Giles takes it for the 4th year in a row (conferences in two I know) I would say that Glenvar is a pretty good team though. They would be the favorite to win District/possibly even Region next season. Heck I could see them upsetting Giles or Nelson this season.
Radford 3-0 James River: Shew James River is going to have a tough 48 hours. They head to Pearisburg tonight to play Giles.

JR better hope for a washout tonite, there not even in the game with fresh legs much less back to back nights

I will concede to you as you are the JR fan. I had to go back and check my post. I was like, "I didn't write that, did I?" HAHA!
I have heard that JR has some quality younger players. So give it a year or two and they'll be back in it.

Reactions: vtscubasteve13
From Wednesday. Dan River girls and Nelson County tie at 3-3. Proud of the Lady Wildcats - they won 1 game last season and that was in the district tournament. Already have five wins and three ties under first year coach Tim Saunders.

I will concede to you as you are the JR fan. I had to go back and check my post. I was like, "I didn't write that, did I?" HAHA!
I have heard that JR has some quality younger players. So give it a year or two and they'll be back in it.

Don't know why it posted like that, they do have some younger kids with some skills and might be more competitive in a year or two, I did and still have problems with where the coach decides to use some players at various positions. Talked to one of the "new" parents at a recent game who brought up the same subject so I know it's just not me. JR has had an abundance of talent for a while prior to this year and can't seem to get past the first round, can't seem to think that coaching decisions have had an affect on that. Glad I don't have to personally deal with it anymore.

Bruton 1-0 Greensville Co.
Nelson 3-0 Appomattox
SW Jackson 3-0 Buffalo Gap: Lots of 3-0 scorelines
Strasburg 3-1 Rapp Co.
Richlands 3-0 VA High
Maggie Walker 5-4 Tabb: I bet this was an exciting game to watch. video anywhere?
Abingdon 7-0 Central (Wise)
Carroll Co. 3-0 Alleghany: I know not 2A, but they play in a 2A district and this was Carroll's first win of the season. Good for them.

Tabb 0 4 4
Maggie Walker GS 2 3 5

INDIVIDUAL STATS
  • Tabb
Goals
Sam Goodman 4

• Maggie Walker GS
Goals
Max Eason 2
Trey Gardiner 2

Nick Vantre 1

Saves
Will Street 4

Richlands 10-0 Grayson: Good result, but if they can't find a way around Graham it won't matter much later this week.
Giles 6-1 James River
Nelson 5-0 Chatham: Many schools are playing 3 in row to make up games, so I think the fatigue is the cause of lack of scoring in these last two results.
Graham 5-0 Lebanon
Appomattox 5-1 Galileo Mag.
Lee (Region D) 1-3 Ridgeview
George Mason 10-0 Madison: No fatigue there!
Martinsville 6-1 George Washington: That does it. Bulldogs end the season undefeated. I can't wait to see the match ups at Region. That Nelson/Giles Game will be intense.
Union 4-2 John Battle
Radford 3-0 Marion: I look forward to catching the Bobcats play one more time. I am curious how they are scoring now that they have different personnel on the field.

Some of these are end of regular season. Some are district tournament. Once everyone gets through to post season (Region more than likely) I will start a new thread.
Fort Chiswell 1-0 Grayson Co.
Martinsville 5-1 Tunstall
Tazewell 8-0 Grundy
Nandua 0-1 Churchland
York 3-1 Poquonson
Radford 4-0 Carroll County
Goochland 6-2 Prince Edward (old result, but I hadn't checked on them in a while)
Buckingham 2-0 Randolph Henry
1A ranks: Auburn 1-0 Galax: just worth noting.
Also just looked in on RE Lee. They finished the regular season allowing only 3 goals. WOW! Sure that district isn't all that intimidating, but that team didn't lose anything last season and they were impressive then. I foresee them being in Radford in June.

Mountain 7 District boys:
(3A) Abingdon 7-0 Gate City

This was a one game playoff to decide the regular season district champion as the Falcons and Blue Devils had split in the regular season and finished tied atop the district.

Girls:
Richlands 2-0 Marion

(From May 11)

Final boys soccer: Lee High 14, Page 0. Goals: Thomas Otteni, Kyle Stenzel(2), Quinn Anderson, Joe Clem, Marcos Sasia, Cameron Sadonis, Cord Lowman, Phillip Strassler(2), Caleb King, Francesco Nunez, Charles Otteni, and Cullen Wallace.

Graham 5-0 Marion: Graham wins the Southwest District. Should be a solid pick to be the state quarters. I do think that is as far as they go though.
Nelson 9-0 Galileo: As it looks now (and upsets could really tweak all of that) Nelson and Giles will play each other in the Region Semifinals. A rematch of a solid game from last year. I may have to sneak away from work for that one.
George Mason 6-0 Clark: I would be shocked if they aren't in this conversation in June still. Lee will give them a fit, but even with that, they will get through Region A more than likely.
Richlands 6-0 Tazewell: This will be the other Region D team. Maybe having to travel to the Mountain District winner will throw them off, but I doubt it.
Maggie Walker 3-2 Glen Allen: I see them winning Region A, playing GM or RE Lee and having a tough day of it. But it isn't like I haven't been wrong before. Goochland and Nandua aren't exactly playing terrible soccer.

Sorry for the added commentary. I certainly don't mean to demean anyone's kid or team. I just love postseason play, and like to speculate. That semifinal day in Radford is one of my favorite days of the entire season.

Girls:
Richlands 2-1 Tazewell
Virginia High 0-0 Lebanon

Richlands is the SWD girls regular season champ.

Boys:
Lebanon 2-0 Virginia High

Martinsville 5-1 Halifax Co.: Bulldogs keep rolling. With a very easy first round draw of Region (probably Radford) they will be playing the 2/3 seed from East side of region C first round.
Radford 7-1 James River: Good result. I think JR is just defeated by this point.
Giles 9-0 Alleghany: About time they put up the results they should have had all season.
Goochland 2-1 Amelia
Nelson 4-0 Chatham
Buckingham 2-1 Prince Edward

Dogwood District Finals - May 17, 2019
Boys Soccer: #2 Dan River at #1 Nelson County - 6pm
Girls Soccer: #2 Nelson County at #1 Appomattox County - 6pm
Baseball: #3 Dan River at #1 Chatham - 6pm
Softball: #2 Dan River vs. winner of #1 Appomattox/#4 Chatham (they play today) - 6pm

Final SD boys soccer tournament:

Lee High 12, Luray 0.

Marcos Sasia 4 goals & Thomas Otteni hat trick.
Kyle Stenzel 2 goals.
Caleb King, Francisco Nunez, Phillip Strassler each w/ a goal.
Carson Murray, Sasia, Stenzel each had 2 assists.
Cullen Wallace w/ shutout in goal.

Lee won both regular season match ups by identical 10-1 scores.

James River 3-2 Carrol County (4A)
Radford 1-0 Glenvar: The Facebook post claimed this got them the 4 seed in Region, but that is unlikely as there are 3 unbeaten teams in the region. I think they have a four seed on the west end bracket. So really a 5/6 seed.
Amelia 3-0 Lunenburg Central
Nandua 2-2 Warwick: Are we still in regular season play way out East too?
Poquonson 2-1 Granby
Central (Wise) 1-6 Union
John Battle 2-1 Ridgeview

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT