Mountain 7 District Tournament Quarterfinals:

Boys:

(2) Gate City 3 (7) Lee High 0
(3) Union 6 (6) Wise Central 1
(4) Ridgeview 1 (5) John Battle 2

Semifinals Saturday at Sugar Hollow:

(1) Abingdon vs. (5) John Battle
(2) Gate City vs. (3) Union

Notes: Gate City, Union, John Battle and Ridgeview all advance to Region play. Ridgeview advances because they were the highest class 2 team in the district not to advance, since Abingdon is class 3. Ridgeview is locked in at the 4 seed out of the district and will most likely play Graham (SWD champion) in Region quarterfinals.

Girls:

(2) Gate City 8, (7) Ridgeview 0
(3) Abingdon 8, (6) Union 0
(4) Wise Central 8, (5) Lee High 0

Semifinals Saturday at Sugar Hollow:

(1) John Battle vs. (4) Wise Central
(2) Gate City vs. (3) Abingdon

Notes: John Battle, Gate City, Wise Central and Lee High all advance to Region play. Lee is locked in at 4 and will most likely play Richlands in round 1 of Region 2D play.

From Friday:

Martinsville 4-1 Magna Vista: Wins the District tournament on top of regular season. No small achievement in that district that runs 2-6A.
Nelson 5-0 Dan River: Wins the Dogwood.
Abingdon 2-0 John Battle: Abingdon had a player/captain pass away in a car accident last week. Such a tragic event that the entirety of SWVA soccer felt. Many teams are planning events to honor this young man's memory in the week ahead.

Mountain 7 District Tournament Semifinals:

Boys

(3A) Abingdon 2, John Battle 0
Gate City 4, Union 1

Girls

John Battle 3, Wise Central 1

Mountain 7 District Tournament

Girls Championship -- John Battle 3, Gate City 0
Boys Championship -- (3A) Abingdon 3, Gate City 0
Boys Consolation -- John Battle 2, Union 0

Southwest District Tournament

Boys -- Lebanon 4, Virginia High 0
Girls -- Virginia High 3, Lebanon 0

Richlands 3-0 Marion: Marion had a better year than normal. This was always going to be the result this year though.
Graham 6-0 Lebanon??: I think that was who they played. These two county rivals will play each other for District Tournament title on Thursday. Also these should be the Southwest Reps to region D tournament.
Clarke Co. 4-1 Central (Region B)
George Mason 13-0 Strasburg: These two winners play Thursday as well? I think.
That means the other two brackets should be finalized Friday, but we can kind of see how they are playing out now.

Mountain 7 District Tournament

Girls Championship -- John Battle 3, Gate City 0
Boys Championship -- (3A) Abingdon 3, Gate City 0
Boys Consolation -- John Battle 2, Union 0

Southwest District Tournament

Boys -- Lebanon 4, Virginia High 0
Girls -- Virginia High 3, Lebanon 0

So is it Gate City and Battle going on to Regions from the Mountain 7?

So is it Gate City and Battle going on to Regions from the Mountain 7?

It will be the top 4 from Southwest and Mountain 7 going to region D tourney.

Correct. So Mountain 7 will be represented by Gate City, John Battle, Union and Ridgeview and SWD will be represented by Graham, Richlands, and two others.

I'm about 97% certain that Ridgeview will play Graham in the quarterfinals.

Hey Coach19:

I'd just like to say congrats to our soccer coach here at Page, Tyler Knight. Led team to a school record 10 wins this past season and the future for Boys Soccer here is promising with the return of Jared Melini and others and won a Shenandoah District tourney game for the first time!

Update: Just read where Coach Knight's group will travel to Clarke County for a first round regional match!

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Correct. So Mountain 7 will be represented by Gate City, John Battle, Union and Ridgeview and SWD will be represented by Graham, Richlands, and two others.

I'm about 97% certain that Ridgeview will play Graham in the quarterfinals.

I'm guessing the other two will be Lebanon and Marion.

The Virginia High and Tazewell.

How are either of those in over the other two? Their record this year is abysmal!

I can't confirm if what Jahayden is saying is accurate or not, but I will say that the SWD uses a ridiculous power point system in all sports not counting football to determine their four region bids because Grayson County is included in their mix even though they are in the Mountain Empire District. I'm not sure why a SWD tournament is even played to be honest because the power points are tallied before the district tournament even starts. Maybe next year when Grayson drops back to 1A, the SWD can be like the M7 and just take the four teams that make the district tournament semis (not counting Abingdon) and seed based on tournament finish.

I can't confirm if what Jahayden is saying is accurate or not, but I will say that the SWD uses a ridiculous power point system in all sports not counting football to determine their four region bids because Grayson County is included in their mix even though they are in the Mountain Empire District. I'm not sure why a SWD tournament is even played to be honest because the power points are tallied before the district tournament even starts. Maybe next year when Grayson drops back to 1A, the SWD can be like the M7 and just take the four teams that make the district tournament semis (not counting Abingdon) and seed based on tournament finish.
Can confirm it is 100% accurate. Both had better district and overall records than Lebanon and Marion.

Regular Season Records:
Marion 8-6-0
Lebanon: 8-8-1
VA High 5-10-0
Tazewell 6-8-1

Not even close. And both Marion and Lebanon played last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT