ADVERTISEMENT

MOUNTAIN VIEW @ JM

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
Beautiful football night at Maury Stadium as the jackets took on a very good Mountain View team! combination of QB Amhad Tweedy to Trey Coghill was too much for the young jackets but the JM coaches have a lot to work with!
The good JM QB AJ Felton transfer out of JM to Freedom had to concern coach Serbay and his veteran staff but tonight they saw two sophomores with what looks like a lot of talent. both Shawn Smith and Zac Davis showed promise at the QB position. Smith looks like the better runner and Davis a long lanky passer looks like the better passer. the jackets still have plenty of speed in the RB position but have no more speedy long lanky receivers in the past. the one receiver that fit that bill was a good looking sophomore Brandon Woolridge that made a couple nice catches. Davis looked very poised standing in the pocket but lacks mobility a trait JM QB's have had for years. Smith is quick and adds the better running dimension to the JM spread offense and probably will work better in their spread offense! both these guys have a lot of talent to work with and by mid season will be adequate in their offense.
JM ran the ball well on MV tonight even though they didn't score but their running game was effective. Dirk Jones Dibyne Ford have good speed as JM backs always possess! they showed two strong runners in Chris Coghill and Kemarja Conway along with a big offensive line that blocked MV well. Don't look like the jacket running game will suffer this year as all the backs ran well tonight. one thing that looks lacking in this years team is blazing fast receivers a trait JM always had in the past.
Jackets defense played well especially against the running game. they pretty much shut down Coffie the MV all district back but Tweety the QB made one nice run on them but they played a awfully good MV team that's offense is as good as anyone in the commonwealth dist. JM like most teams fell victim to that great passing attack as Tweety threw 3 td passes two went to Coghill! so after 1 scrimmage and a great MV passing attack it was hard to grade the JM db's. one thing I noticed was they didn't tackle very well but Coffie, Tweedy and Coghill will cause that so I would not worry much about their pass defense. I noticed two of the best jacket defenders was LB Elijah Baylor and Kemarjah Conway hit hard and payed aggressive all over the field. they look like defensive leaders this season.
All and all even though the score was not what the jackets liked I predict after a couple of weeks this team will jell and may be a force to recon with in the district. one thing in their favor other than Chancellor the district looks weaker than normal this season. coach Serbay will make this a good team by mid season but it remains to be seen if they can compete with a great Chancellor team. we shall see!
well its every Friday night until December and I love it. saw Chancellor Warhill last week and Louisa N. Stafford last night and JM Mountain View tonight and a chance to see Spotsy tomorrow night as its a treat to see my boys from post oak when I can! lets have a great football season and I will see you at a game!

Last edited:
Reactions: shauntclair
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT