ADVERTISEMENT

My annual question...?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Which public schools are the first to go back this fall?
I know Nelson County is always very early.

I know this question has little to do with football, but why start so early at VA High and Spotsylvania? Do they get out earlier for the summer, or a longer winter/spring break? What benefit is gained by starting so early, since I assume they are almost assuredly only scheduled for 180 instructional days?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I know this question has little to do with football, but why start so early at VA High and Spotsylvania? Do they get out earlier for the summer, or a longer winter/spring break? What benefit is gained by starting so early, since I assume they are almost assuredly only scheduled for 180 instructional days?

No clue but most of Central Va starts 8/14, Nelson started today with kids.

Last edited:
Shenandoah County started on 8/5. But I believe they then take off a week for their fair. Warren County will start on 8/12. Again, finishing the semester before Christmas break is the stated reason for starting early. There have been rumblings in Warren that they want to have year-round schooling, with longer breaks interspersed throughout the year. One of the problems with that is two week breaks from school right in the middle of athletic seasons with your opponents not on the same schedule.

Shenandoah County started on 8/5. But I believe they then take off a week for their fair. Warren County will start on 8/12. Again, finishing the semester before Christmas break is the stated reason for starting early. There have been rumblings in Warren that they want to have year-round schooling, with longer breaks interspersed throughout the year. One of the problems with that is two week breaks from school right in the middle of athletic seasons with your opponents not on the same schedule.
That is just plain stupid. Start school, then take off a week for the fair. JUST START AFTER THE FAIR IS DONE!!!

Culpeper started it a few years back to have the 1st semester/SOL's done before Christmas Break. Stinks in August but it's nice to be out in mid-May.

Thank you for the replies. Wow, some are super early. Like REV and schoolboard said, I know a lot of localities want to start the new sesmester after the Christmas break. There is a lot of good logic in that, I personally believe.

I would assume that all that don't start before Labor Day begin classes on Tuesday, 9-3? Does anyone start later than that?

It makes sense to have the semester end at Christmas break, so just make the school day longer so the kids can enjoy the rest of the Summer til Labor Day. Remember when Kings Dominion would lobby everyone to not start until after Labor Day so they could keep the kids working at the park a little longer?

It makes sense to have the semester end at Christmas break, so just make the school day longer so the kids can enjoy the rest of the Summer til Labor Day. Remember when Kings Dominion would lobby everyone to not start until after Labor Day so they could keep the kids working at the park a little longer?
Um, schools that end semester before Christmas usually want to because they are on 4X4 block, so the whole course will end before Christmas break. Those classes are approximately 90 minutes already. If you extend the school day, those classes are going to be pushing 2 hours long.

Reactions: olemissboy30
Um, schools that end semester before Christmas usually want to because they are on 4X4 block, so the whole course will end before Christmas break. Those classes are approximately 90 minutes already. If you extend the school day, those classes are going to be pushing 2 hours long.
Yikes!:eek: Good thing I'm not in the education field then! Thanks for the info!

We have had the block system so long, that almost nobody remembers it used to be different. I wonder if the educators that have taught in more than one system have an opinion about which system is more affective?

We have had the block system so long, that almost nobody remembers it used to be different. I wonder if the educators that have taught in more than one system have an opinion about which system is more affective?

Depends on what they teach. Lab science classes are great for block because you can do lecture & lab in the same block. English & Music classes frequently prefer classes that meet every day. I’m very grateful that I had a traditional schedule with seven 50-min classes every day.

Depends on what they teach. Lab science classes are great for block because you can do lecture & lab in the same block. English & Music classes frequently prefer classes that meet every day. I’m very grateful that I had a traditional schedule with seven 50-min classes every day.
I agree. I couldn't pay attention for 50 minutes, 90 minutes would have been my undoing!

Actually, I think I had a 10 minute homeroom, plus six classes. That was a LONG time ago.

When I was at WPHS (97-02), I remember the shift from 6 blocks to 7. I believe that was an attempt to avoid the trend of going to block scheduling.

Even in block, there are arguments of whether alternating days all year is better or half classes one semester and half the other is better. Foreign language teachers don't like it when a kid could have Spanish 1 fall of one grade and then not have Spanish 2 until spring of following school year, which is an entire calendar year away from the language.

Even in block, there are arguments of whether alternating days all year is better or half classes one semester and half the other is better. Foreign language teachers don't like it when a kid could have Spanish 1 fall of one grade and then not have Spanish 2 until spring of following school year, which is an entire calendar year away from the language.

Semester block is horrific but administrators love that a kid can fail & immediately take it again. It destroys co-curricular Programs like agriculture classes and music ensembles since that kind of thing needs a full year not just a few months.

The block system is definitely worse, but they will never go back now due to $$. You can teach more kids with less teachers in a block system. I'm shocked they haven't made more classes online (from home) mandatory to keep from paying teachers.

Reactions: WP02alum
The block system is definitely worse, but they will never go back now due to $$. You can teach more kids with less teachers in a block system. I'm shocked they haven't made more classes online (from home) mandatory to keep from paying teachers.
I am not just saying this because I am a teacher, but online classes are 80% worthless. There are some instances where a class can't be offered locally due to numbers and the student has the discipline to handle it. Those are fine. But they put a lot of kids into online classes for other reasons, and the failure rate is much higher for online than in my regular classroom.

Reactions: falcettik
I am not just saying this because I am a teacher, but online classes are 80% worthless. There are some instances where a class can't be offered locally due to numbers and the student has the discipline to handle it. Those are fine. But they put a lot of kids into online classes for other reasons, and the failure rate is much higher for online than in my regular classroom.
yes...they are worthless. I've taken a few courses online myself. Most people (including me) I know that take them generally get an A+ for basically doing/learning nothing.

What is the scoop on the "online" high school I see in adds on tv? I assume it's something the state started to cater to the "students?" that supposedly can't get to school?

On the surface, it appears to be a good idea. But, as you guys stated above, I doubt that on-line learning is more than a joke for high school age kids?

I will. He would fall in love with your place. He and his wife stopped by my office a little while ago and brought me the best chicken salad sandwich I've ever eaten. Made by the Mennonites at their shop at Dinwiddie Courthouse. Thank you Navy.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
AMHERST started the 14th why not start early all school have A/C now so thats not a excuse. Best thing bout it is the first semester is over before Christmas. I use to hate that when i was in school you'd come back from Christmas break an right into 1st semester exams.

AMHERST started the 14th why not start early all school have A/C now so thats not a excuse. Best thing bout it is the first semester is over before Christmas. I use to hate that when i was in school you'd come back from Christmas break an right into 1st semester exams.
Hey @AMHERST #1 how have you been doing? Good to see you back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT