ADVERTISEMENT

My Class 4 Top 5, Who you got?

@Gunz41 no, I've thought for years that Louisa could compete with and beat Ponax. The Panthers always have awesome offenses, but their defense has improved the last couple of seasons, which helped keep the game so close this year. I say they will probably smack us next year because we lose almost 30 seniors, and there's no telling if next year we reload or not.

Last edited:
@Gunz41 no, I've thought for years that Louisa could compete with and beat Ponax. The Panthers always have awesome offenses, but their defense has improved the last couple of seasons, which helped keep the game so close this year. I say they will probably smack us next year because we lose almost 30 seniors, and there's no telling if next year we reload or not.
30 seniors! Hell, that's a good problem to have, I honestly think we have 30 players!

Reactions: mbonape1
Simple answer:

- Their opponents are bad. Real bad. 11-26 between 6 teams bad (that's a 2-4 team on average)

- No wins against a team better than .500

- 5 point win over Courtland (1 win team), 10 point win over 3-3 King George, 11 point win over winless Kettle Run, 7 point win over 3-3 Sherando

6-0 is always nice but when you're talking potential top 5 team and your schedule is that poor you need to be blowing everyone out just about every week. We'll know more in the next 3 weeks as they see James Wood, Millbrook, and Handley all of whom have 5+ wins already.
I agree. Usually the top 4 teams in the state win a majority of their games by 3+ scores .

So then are you saying they are better most days that Louisa? You said caught on right night for both.

Because I think I have seen you say you thought Louisa could beat HS
One of the Louisa fans said it today,or insinuated it after watching HSHS beat Manchester by 10 after falling behind by 16. Louisa is a good D4 team! Not sure they could beat Manchester much less The Springers. But....who knows!

@86CulpGrad don't fall into the trap, it's not as different as you think. It's mostly hype from dominating a weakened Class 5 that isn't near as deep as C4. I was at the Springs game Friday. Many C4 teams can hang with them this year, including your EV boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
Beat Highland Springs?? Not even close. Different level there. No one in 4A could hang with them.
Their fans act like we’re trying to disrespect them by saying they can’t beat us, but we’re just stating what everyone else outside of Louisa is saying.

@86CulpGrad yeah the HS teams of the last few years would beat this year's. I still think the Salem title teams would make those teams play badly though and DeAngelo Ramsey would've had a great game against them.

Varina's more built to beat HS, Manchester's too one-dimensional. I don't think a rematch would be close.
Maury and Varina will challenge HS. I dont know if their defense is as good as Manchester

Don't think Freedom-Woodbridge has a shot? I know they got it handed to them last year in the playoffs, but it seems they might be getting better each year. Good win over CF this year for them.

Don't think Freedom-Woodbridge has a shot? I know they got it handed to them last year in the playoffs, but it seems they might be getting better each year. Good win over CF this year for them.
HSHS scrimmaged Freedom before the season started. HSHS won the scrimmage,but again...it was just a scrimmage. HSHS also scrimmaged TDale with their All-American RB,Tyree

Maury looks pretty good and flying under the radar. They've had some impressive wins this year.

They are not flying under the radar. They are a top 5 team regardless of classification and they will tell you all about including the coaches. From what I hear, the VHSL also has them on their radar. Need to make sure they don't draw too much attention to themselves. Best bet is to just let the on-field play do the talking.

Many people in the state think they are the number 2 team in the state. They certainly believe they are number 1.

Westfield might be the favorite again with their qb staying healthy

Maury looks pretty good and flying under the radar. They've had some impressive wins this year.
Yeah....HSHS faced them last year after they pounded 757 teams all year! As most know....it didn’t end well for them. They were NO MATCH for HSHS up front in the trenches. HSHS wore them down just like they did Manchester and Oscar Smith.

They are not flying under the radar. They are a top 5 team regardless of classification and they will tell you all about including the coaches. From what I hear, the VHSL also has them on their radar. Need to make sure they don't draw too much attention to themselves. Best bet is to just let the on-field play do the talking.

Many people in the state think they are the number 2 team in the state. They certainly believe they are number 1.
They thought they were #1 last year too. Didn’t end that way! :-0

Reactions: mbonape1
Well, Johnson, is on record during an VT show/interview where he did state his goal is to coach a collegiate team but that he'd prefer to coach his sons first. I think he said they were 11 & 13 at the time of that interview. Not sure how long ago that was?

I can tell you that a Coaching change like Johnson (or Smith's Richard Morgan) doesn't mean the end of a program if his staff stays intact. But it IS a heart breaker for the community, nonetheless. I'm glad we seem to be moving onward and upward with our 4th coach in 4 years!!!

Last edited:
@HooSprings your team doing great now but if they start to go downhill keep that same energy you got now!!! With all the chest pounding you doing!
It won’t be any time soon! Even the middle school feeders are loaded. The JV hasn’t lost in 5 years,and no one has been close in 3 years.

The topic is MY CLASS 4 top 5 teams!!!! IMO I would love to see HS go to any of those top 5 and go undefeated! And you definitely would have a few loses in the area I live in Charlotte NC
We already went into Charlotte,NC THIS YEAR,and hammered one of your teams! Just another stepping stone!

Well, Johnson, is on record during an VT show/interview where he did state his goal is to coach a collegiate team but that he'd prefer to coach his sons first. I think he said they were 11 & 13 at the time of that interview. Not sure how long ago that was?

I can tell you that a Coaching change like Johnson (or Smith's Richard Morgan) doesn't mean the end of a program if his staff stays intact. But it IS a heart breaker for the community, nonetheless. I'm glad we seem to be moving onward and upward with our 4th coach in 4 years!!!
Johnson’s oldest son is a Freshman on the JV this year.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Let me correct you about hammered a Charlotte area school. You beat Page team out of Greensboro NC which their record is 2-6. Which you only won 39-7 so that’s not impressive to me. Like I said come to Charlotte and play Vance, Mallard Creek, Butler, or Independence those types of schools and go undefeated then I would be impressed!
We pulled our starters in the middle of the second quarter!! Our JV starters played the entire 4th quarter! We don’t try to run any score up. There’s no need for that. We’d love to play Vance or MC or ANY other team for that matter. They asked to play them but both turned HS down! HS is ranked top 25 in the nation by USA Today!!

All I’m saying is stay in your lane 4 titles are impressive but try picking on somebody your own size
We pick on anyone with the balls to step on the field with us! We KNOW we’re good! We reload every year,and next year will be no different! JV hasn’t lost in 5 years either!

You were ranked 15 but slipped to 21 almost out of the top 25. But I’m done you got my point! This is the 4A board
Hopefully,one of those schools will contact HSHS about being on the next cycle. As I said...I KNOW there’s a big name school coming in to play HSHS next year. I’d love a home & home with Vance,MC,or even one of the Forsyths!

I have not seen film of all of these teams, so I am going off of records, the little film I have seen and my gut. But right now, I would go:

1. Broad Run
2. Louisa
3. EC Glass
4. Salem
5. Eastern View
6. Tusky

I do think Louisa currently holds the best win in Class 4. If Salem wins tonight, they could possibly vault up to #1 for me. From what I know I just feel like Broad Run is the most complete team in C4 right now. A lot can change though. Too bad EV and Louisa won't really be challenged rest of the regular season...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT