ADVERTISEMENT

My proposed realignment - 4A

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Hi all. I had some fun and did this last year with what I think was a four class setup, but I wanted to try things based on the recent ADM to slot teams into districts based on proximity and size in a six class setup.

I've divided all the schools on the ADM report into six equal classes and developed districts on that. My geography may not be all that great so if I didn't slot a team in a preferred district, I don't have it out for your school and it wasn't intentional. I looked at the map of Virginia and put schools in districts starting with District 1 - 4A in the west to District 8 - 4A which goes into the east.

One thing that is different about this time is that the districts aren't of equal size.

And you have to play everyone in your district. This makes district champions matter again!

The top four teams in each district would make the playoffs and would play their partner district in the bi-district round to start the playoffs. It would look something like this:

#1 District 1 - 4A hosts #4 District 2 - 4A
#2 District 2 - 4A hosts #3 District 1 - 4A

#2 District 1 - 4A hosts #3 District 2 - 4A
#1 District 2 - 4A hosts #4 District 1 - 4A

Higher seed hosts but if two teams meet in the third round (Regional Final) and they have the same rankings from bi-district, then the team that would host would be derived from a tiebreaker scenario which would be uniform across the VHSL.

The same format would be the same for Districts 3 thru 8.

Region I would be District 1 - 4A and District 2 - 4A
Region II would be District 3 - 4A and District 4 - 4A
Region III would be District 5 - 4A and District 6 - 4A
Region IV would be District 7 - 4A and District 8 - 4A

So here we go with my little project! And remember, your team has to go somewhere. And if I separated teams that are in the same county or nearby, it wasn't intentional.

Class 4

Region I

District 1 - 4ADistrict 2 - 4A
BlacksburgMonticello
Halifax CountyCharlottesville
George WashingtonOrange County
Amherst CountyEastern View
Salem
Jefferson Forest
E.C. Glass

Region II

District 3 - 4ADistrict 4 - 4A
Broad RunThomas Jefferson S/T
WoodgroveJames Wood
John ChampeJohn Handley
Loudoun CountyLiberty (Beal)
Park ViewMillbrook
Dominion
Rock Ridge
Heritage (LC)
Tuscarora
Loudoun Valley

Region III

District 5 - 4ADistrict 6 - 4A
MechanicsvilleVarina
HanoverMonacan
AtleeMidlothian
Patrick Henry - AshGeorge Wythe - R
CarolineHuguenot
King GeorgePowhatan
SpotsylvaniaHenrico
Courtland
Chancellor

Region IV

District 7 - 4ADistrict 8 - 4A
DenbighHickory
GloucesterManor
JamestownChurchland
WarhillPhoebus
DinwiddieHampton
MatoacaSmithfield

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
You have put a lot of thought and work in this, for which I commend you. And I think it’s not only fun, but important to look at a situation from new and different angles.

You have put a lot of thought and work in this, for which I commend you. And I think it’s not only fun, but important to look at a situation from new and different angles.
Thank you. A lot of my inspiration comes from how the UIL handles things in Texas. I'm not from there, nor do I have a dog in the fight there, but I commend them for running a tight ship. They make their realignment day a big deal every two years and I wish we had that here in Virginia.

This is also the art of the possible, makes for interesting district play, makes district play important again, and changes things up.

It pains me that the VHSL has devalued district championships. And this also takes all of the power point madness away from everything. It just makes things simpler and streamlined. District play when I was in high school was an outright war. Now, it's a shell of that.

I had a lot of fun doing this. And yes, Virginia has it's geographical abnormalities (someone's gotta go somewhere), but it shows things are possible if people expand their minds.

Sure, it's all "possible" but is it really fair to put PH into such a group and require essentially every week to be a multi-hour bus ride for either them or the teams playing them? You'd have to start discussing the VHSL subsidizing certain schools when it comes to travel expenses.

Fun exercise, just highly impractical.

Thank you. A lot of my inspiration comes from how the UIL handles things in Texas. I'm not from there, nor do I have a dog in the fight there, but I commend them for running a tight ship. They make their realignment day a big deal every two years and I wish we had that here in Virginia.

This is also the art of the possible, makes for interesting district play, makes district play important again, and changes things up.

It pains me that the VHSL has devalued district championships. And this also takes all of the power point madness away from everything. It just makes things simpler and streamlined. District play when I was in high school was an outright war. Now, it's a shell of that.

I had a lot of fun doing this. And yes, Virginia has it's geographical abnormalities (someone's gotta go somewhere), but it shows things are possible if people expand their minds.
As you say, you end up in a district in Texas, burly by student numbers. Which means there are a lot of extreme travel distance for many schools. But, because most in Texas are used to “extreme travel distances” for everything, it’s accepted.

The problem with extra travel time redistributing is it’s necessary for EVERY inter school activity. That is a real challenge for winter sports.

Sure, it's all "possible" but is it really fair to put PH into such a group and require essentially every week to be a multi-hour bus ride for either them or the teams playing them? You'd have to start discussing the VHSL subsidizing certain schools when it comes to travel expenses.

Wow. Aren't you just cheerful? Hey...with the outliers, they have to go somewhere. And they aren't traveling every week. This is where these alignments are dramatized a little bit.

I put Patrick Henry (I'm assuming Roanoke you're complaining about) in a 6A group where they belong in an eight team district. That's four road trips so certainly not every week. And remember, the other teams have to come visit as well so it's not just one one school.

Where can I put them? I wouldn't put them in Northern Virginia or the Fredericksburg area where they have been going for years. So the closest overall would be the Richmond area.

As you say, you end up in a district in Texas, burly by student numbers. Which means there are a lot of extreme travel distance for many schools. But, because most in Texas are used to “extreme travel distances” for everything, it’s accepted.

The problem with extra travel time redistributing is it’s necessary for EVERY inter school activity. That is a real challenge for winter sports.
Well in recent years, we've heard more and more people complain about playing schools that are bigger. Didn't quite get that in the 1980s; even starting in 1986 when we went from three state champions to six.

My fun proposal is just a solution. The same people who complain about differences in school sizes are hypocritical when they are in favor of them at the district level (yet they whine when they are trucked by a school that has several hundred more kids).

Yet, they are also hypocritical when they say they want kids to have more opportunities for titles; yet are fine when all schools don't play one another at the district level due to the three-class separation exception in the district.

This creates a level playing field for those complaining about enrollment sizes. Not every state can be like Rhode Island or Delaware in size.

Get on a bus and go play. That's what I say.

Reactions: falcettik

Maybe the VHSL should use some of the benefit game money to go towards this. They don't lift a finger to get this money, so it's welfare money to them.

Set a certain mileage threshold per road trip and if any school meets that threshold, they are sent a small check to help with expenses.

But that would mean that the VHSL would actually have to have leadership and be well versed in planning so I won't hold my breath about that.

Reactions: falcettik
The other outlier with the UIL is in the larger classifications 6A and 5A you aren’t in specifically div 1 or div 2 until the playoff field is announced, during year 1 of 2 you might be 6A div 2 and move up to 6A div 1 in year 2 because of numbers shifting and a larger or smaller school in that class made the playoffs this year that didn’t the year prior

Hi all. I had some fun and did this last year with what I think was a four class setup, but I wanted to try things based on the recent ADM to slot teams into districts based on proximity and size in a six class setup.

I've divided all the schools on the ADM report into six equal classes and developed districts on that. My geography may not be all that great so if I didn't slot a team in a preferred district, I don't have it out for your school and it wasn't intentional. I looked at the map of Virginia and put schools in districts starting with District 1 - 4A in the west to District 8 - 4A which goes into the east.

One thing that is different about this time is that the districts aren't of equal size.

And you have to play everyone in your district. This makes district champions matter again!

The top four teams in each district would make the playoffs and would play their partner district in the bi-district round to start the playoffs. It would look something like this:

Higher seed hosts but if two teams meet in the third round (Regional Final) and they have the same rankings from bi-district, then the team that would host would be derived from a tiebreaker scenario which would be uniform across the VHSL.

So here we go with my little project! And remember, your team has to go somewhere. And if I separated teams that are in the same county or nearby, it wasn't intentional.

Class 4

Region I

BlacksburgMonticello
Salem
Jefferson Forest
E.C. Glass

Region II

WoodgroveJames Wood
John ChampeJohn Handley
Park ViewMillbrook
Dominion
Rock Ridge
Heritage (LC)
Tuscarora
Loudoun Valley

Region III

MechanicsvilleVarina
HanoverMonacan
AtleeMidlothian
CarolineHuguenot
King GeorgePowhatan
SpotsylvaniaHenrico
Courtland
Chancellor

Region IV

DenbighHickory
GloucesterManor
JamestownChurchland
WarhillPhoebus
DinwiddieHampton
MatoacaSmithfield
since this is your thing; I was looking at North Carolina to see what they do and found out they have only 4 Classes but divided the state into east and west regions with about 200 schools in each region. If this appeal to you see how VA would do this type of realignment.

https://wwwcache.highschoolot.com/a...4158/2021-2025_ClassAlpha-DMID1-5p2x1m4kb.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports

Class 4

Region I

BlacksburgMonticello
Salem
Jefferson Forest
E.C. Glass

Region II

WoodgroveJames Wood
John ChampeJohn Handley
Park ViewMillbrook
Dominion
Rock Ridge
Heritage (LC)
Tuscarora
Loudoun Valley

Region III

MechanicsvilleVarina
HanoverMonacan
AtleeMidlothian
CarolineHuguenot
King GeorgePowhatan
SpotsylvaniaHenrico
Courtland
Chancellor

Region IV

DenbighHickory
GloucesterManor
JamestownChurchland
WarhillPhoebus
DinwiddieHampton
MatoacaSmithfield
Well done. Though I'd like to see Dinwiddie and Phoebus in different regions (especially next year) as they are both Top 5 Favorites to win it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT